• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Pokemon Legends Arceus has sold 6.5 million copies.

Uh, Nintendo and TPC definitely have very accurate data for the number of switches/profiles that have played any given game on a switch with any sort of internet connection, regardless of online functionality in games.

All the first party companies will be collecting that kind of data.
In recent years we even get statistics like our playtimes, down to the percentage of docked and handheld mode usage, made available to us at the end of the year, so it wouldn't be surprising if they'd know the amount of active players.

By the way, I wish they would send those statistics out in January, since they don't seem to count December, because otherwise SMTV would've likely been in third place for me.

Copies. It's a single player game without online connection requirements. It would be impossible for TPC to know how many players the game has.
There's quite a bit of telemetry baked into the OS. It doesn't matter what the game does as long as Nintendo is willing to provide the data to TPC, which I'm sure they are.

Uh, Nintendo and TPC definitely have very accurate data for the number of switches/profiles that have played any given game on a switch with any sort of internet connection, regardless of online functionality in games.

Only if the Switch user has provided an internet connection. AFAIK, the Switch can still be used offline for its whole lifetime, and the required OS updates needed for games are on the cartridges.

Only if the Switch user has provided an internet connection. AFAIK, the Switch can still be used offline for its whole lifetime, and the required OS updates needed for games are on the cartridges.
That would be most people, and they can estimate the rest. I don't see there being this massive clique of non-connected Switches and even those who are irregularly connected probably do connect occasionally for eshop and data can be exchanged that way.

I would assume all games, including single player games send usage data back to Nintendo or the publisher. Some games even have options to turn off sending game telemetry data back to the publisher but you cant turn off usage data as that is likely baked into the OS.

Edit: I know the tweet was worded.vaguely.but that 6.5 figure is 100% sold copies. Nintendo knows exactly how many copies has sold

Last edited:
In recent years we even get statistics like our playtimes, down to the percentage of docked and handheld mode usage, made available to us at the end of the year, so it wouldn't be surprising if they'd know the amount of active players.

By the way, I wish they would send those statistics out in January, since they don't seem to count December, because otherwise SMTV would've likely been in third place for me.
I thought the same thing but I checked the link in the email a few days later after they sent it because I was curious if they did update or not, and they updated my stats all December long. Mostly just Animal Crossing and Pokemon hours increased because that's what I played mostly in December. Also increased total time playing and docked and handheld hours too.

Nintendo discloses annual playing users. It was 98m vs. >100m units sold-through.

The amount of units with their switch unconnected to the internet is for sure tiny. Even if it isn’t continuous, people connect it for OS updates. Nintendo had tons of data for each game as well as demographic data.

Sony also discloses MAUs.

I thought the same thing but I checked the link in the email a few days later after they sent it because I was curious if they did update or not, and they updated my stats all December long. Mostly just Animal Crossing and Pokemon hours increased because that's what I played mostly in December. Also increased total time playing and docked and handheld hours too.
That's great to hear. Thanks for sharing.

I guess some people will say anything to explain SwSh's success away.

I can't explain anything away, but I certainly dislike SwSh greatly, and I've been a Pokemon fan since JP launch in 1996.

I can't explain anything away, but I certainly dislike SwSh greatly, and I've been a Pokemon fan since JP launch in 1996.
How relevant is that to it only selling because of the name while PLA selling because it's good?

I'm fairly new to mainline Pokemon and it seems the general online consensus is that Pokemon games were great until gen 5. I've played PLGP and PBD, both remakes of gen 1 and gen 4 respectively, yet despite the QoL changes both play like a slog. I'd rather play SwSh instead.

Edit: The comment felt unnecessarily hostile. Sorry for that.

How relevant is that to it only selling because of the name while PLA selling because it's good?

I'm fairly new to mainline Pokemon and it seems the general online consensus is that Pokemon games were great until gen 5. I've played PLGP and PBD, both remakes of gen 1 and gen 4 respectively, yet despite the QoL changes both play like a slog. I'd rather play SwSh instead.

There is no general online consensus. But, the loudest voices are usually the minority and claim there is a general consensus. Pokemon fanbase is very large and varied. And of course, people who grew up with them hang on often to the games that they grew up with. Will happen with kids these day as they grow up.

My daughter, who is 12, she thinks Sun and Moon and Sw/Sh are the bees knees for Pokemon, and she has put 140 hours into the Diamond/Pearl remake. She tried and thinks the games before X/Y are just.... okay, and she loves pixel art, so it's not even about that in her eyes.

Been playing Pokemon since the 90s. I think Gens 3/4 are probably the low point of the series. X/Y is pretty fun. SuMo and SwSh are among my favorites in the series. PLA is very good too but I haven't finished it yet and I'm undecided so far on if what we gained is more than what we lost.

So yeah, there's not really a consensus, but the loudest, most annoying voices are the ones that just yell over and over about how XY through SwSh are all terrible and make up feel-better excuses on why they still sell so well.

The general consensus is usually ‘the gen I grew up with is the best’. When the kids today that have grown up with these games are older and complaining about games online you will probably see a lot of people saying how they wish newer games would be more like the ‘golden age’ of gens 6, 7, and 8. It’s the same thing that happened with gens 3 and 5.

Last edited:
The general consensus is usually ‘the gen I grew up with is the best’. When the kids today that have grown up with these games are older and complaining about games online you will probably see a lot of people saying how they wish newer games would be more like the ‘golden age’ of gens 6, 7, and 8. It’s the same thing that happened with gens 3 and 5.
I'm really not so sure about that. There is just things like leveldesign that took a serious turn for the worse over the years, and unless kids from today stop caring about these things when they get older and keep gaming, I don't see your scenario happening. I can name plenty of games I found great as a kid, that I find quite well.. ass today.

That would be most people, and they can estimate the rest. I don't see there being this massive clique of non-connected Switches and even those who are irregularly connected probably do connect occasionally for eshop and data can be exchanged that way.

I would assume all games, including single player games send usage data back to Nintendo or the publisher.
I think this would be not as easy/complete as you describe it. Jariw mentions one reason (the Internet connection), and one even bigger issue is that there are a lot of relevant markets where collecting such data is not allowed or an opt-in, and therefore not as easy as in the US, where there are way less restrictions for collecting data of users.

Been playing Pokemon since the 90s. I think Gens 3/4 are probably the low point of the series. X/Y is pretty fun. SuMo and SwSh are among my favorites in the series. PLA is very good too but I haven't finished it yet and I'm undecided so far on if what we gained is more than what we lost.

So yeah, there's not really a consensus, but the loudest, most annoying voices are the ones that just yell over and over about how XY through SwSh are all terrible and make up feel-better excuses on why they still sell so well.
Exactly. Each gen from gen 3 the apparent online consensus (by a loud minority) is that the Pokémon gen would be bad or even terrible. It‘s typically (not necessarily, but mostly) from people of a certain age range (of which not all are unhappy with Pokémon!). Remember how “people“ hated Pokémon Black/White? And now these people are older (some of these simply don‘t buy Pokémon games any more, some re-discover their Pokémon love etc.) — and forums are instead more actively used by a new gen of people who have nostalgia for the Black/White gen.

This is obviously just a simplified description, but these correlations (forum activity/age/Pokémon gen enjoyment) certainly exist.

A few years back some folks were really betting that XY was going to be real splitting point of the franchise, kind of like the Phantom Menace with SW, or season 5 of Game of Thrones. But now there are people who like gen 6 and despise everything after it lol
It's just a weird variation of the Zelda effect.

I'm really not so sure about that. There is just things like leveldesign that took a serious turn for the worse over the years, and unless kids from today stop caring about these things when they get older and keep gaming, I don't see your scenario happening. I can name plenty of games I found great as a kid, that I find quite well.. ass today.

Oh there’s absolutely legitimate criticisms and complaints to throw at modern Pokémon, not arguing that. But generally as the gens age and future games come out and address their specific criticism, the vitriol around them dies out and the positive opinions become louder. Gen 5 was derided for only having new Pokémon initially and not letting you find any older Pokémon in the game, then later games added them back and now you have people wishing they would do that again. Obviously this isn’t 100% or anything, not every kid who played these games will end up loving them when they’re older, it’s just a general trend I’ve seen in the fan base.

The Pokémon “generation cycle” is absolutely a thing, at least to some extent. If you’ve been following Pokémon internet discourse for 15+ years, the pattern of current generations being derided by a vocal minority only for those same games to later on be beloved by those who grew up with them is quite obvious.

The real truth imo is that there are no really “bad” Pokémon games - all of them at their cores have the ingredients that make Pokémon so popular (good creature design, catching, battling, trading, easy to learn but competitively deep combat system, breeding/raising, shiny hunting, etc). All the other stuff that folks often moan about (graphics, story, world design, etc) are just window dressing.

A few years back some folks were really betting that XY was going to be real splitting point of the franchise, kind of like the Phantom Menace with SW, or season 5 of Game of Thrones. But now there are people who like gen 6 and despise everything after it lol
It's just a weird variation of the Zelda effect.
Don't make me write an essay on how the Zelda cycle isn't real

It's a fantastic fucking game, so that's really well deserved

I think the incredible critical reception and great word of mouth around it will help it as well

I'd love to see a list of pokemon games not by sales, but by revenue. Because the increase to $60 with Sword and Shield really went under the radar. That was a 50% increase with frankly less quality and polish than Sun/Moon.

As for the pokemon generational cycle, it's real but I think there is also a general consensus about the games outside of just that.

It's seems clear to me as someone who has been part of these discussions since day 1 that gens 3 and 4 weren't as widely loved by the fanbase outside of those new to the series (compared to other games - not saying they don't have fans). Black/White had prerelease controversy but was ultimately largely liked by most in time and BW2 has been held out as one of the best in the series almost since release, without needing kids from that era to age into the argument to defend it.

X/Y was very well received at launch by old and new fans alike due to the successful introduction of 3d pokemon models but appears to have fallen out of favour with the fanbase as a whole over time. Sun / Moon appears to have been the opposite - people conspicuously hated it at launch for its ridiculous slow start, but it seems pretty beloved now for its region, characters and quality of life improvements - at least from where I'm standing. And again, all of those things exist outside of a generational cycle.

Back
Top Bottom