• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Pokemon Legends Arceus has sold 6.5 million copies.

Word of mouth really is key, and anecdotally I can see that this game has it. My friends list is lighting up in the way it only does on a special release that pulls lapsed and non-gamers back in. Hell, a friend who hasn't touched his Switch in years asked me if he should buy it.

Copying my post from Instal Base:

I’m eating crow on this, I thought it was highly unlikely PLA outsold BDSP considering the former isn’t a holiday release, came out two months afterward, only had one version, has significant gameplay changes, and very little multiplayer. Honestly an unbelievable performance that is seemingly being fueled by very strong word of mouth.

Congrats Gamefreak!

Largest NSW Launch Weeks (Fri-Sun)

Sell-Through

PLA | JAN 22 | >6.5M
SwSh | NOV 19 | >6.0M
BDSP | NOV 21 | >6.0M
SSBU | DEC 18 | >5.0M
LGPE | NOV 18 | >3.0M
SMO | OCT 17 | >2.0M

Shipped

MHR | MAR 21 | >4.0M
AOC | NOV 20 | >3.0M

Nintendo/TPC has pretty consistently reported week 1 (Fri-Sun) sell-through for NSW software titles. ACNH was the big missing one that might actually be at the top of this list
Odyssey was the 27th, not the 17th. (I only caught this because it came out on my birthday.)

Damn.

Now I'll have to put up with everyone talking about Pokémon.

This is the worst.

This is incredible also because no double version of the game.

GF better do a mix for gen 9

The fact that BDSP sold 14 mil and then PLA sells 6.5 mil in a week just two and a bit months later... makes me wonder how many main pokemon games they could release in a year before fatigue started to set in. Because there seems to be an endless appetite for these games.

It's incredible that they could release two pokemon games back to back and only grow in sales.

Game Freak just keeps hitting it out of the park with each mainline entry! Love to see it.

e1e.gif
e1e.gif

I think this game will sell more than any previous Pokemon game on the Switch. The WoM seems great, and the game is different in similar ways that BOTW is different to earlier Zeldas.

Impressive that the people at GF have been able to create this kind of tight game experience on their first attempt for an open world game.

This is the biggest Pokémon launch ever. Previous record was 6M for both SwSh and BDSP.

Seems fitting.

If it released earlier on the Switch's life, I think it could go on to sell SwSh, but that might be very difficult now.

Seems fitting.

If it released earlier on the Switch's life, I think it could go on to sell SwSh, but that might be very difficult now.

I don't think it would ever have a chance to outsell SWSH lifetime without multiplayer.

Good. I hope they will kill the old series and replace it with the foundation of Legends.

I don't think it would ever have a chance to outsell SWSH lifetime without multiplayer.
Well it has trading, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they add multiplayer battling via DLC.

It's a spectacular start for sure. Legs will be interesting to see, and it'll struggle to hit SwSh numbers purely down to shelf life time, but it's still a huge vote of confidence in this approach to Pokemon games. Word of mouth is reflecting that too. I think GameFreak can breath easier now and build on what Legends has started for future games. Personally I'm feeling a lot more positive regarding the future of the Pokemon franchise then I was around the launch of SwSh.

The real reason this sold so well is the return of Cyndaquil as a starter. He did it for Gold and Silver and he's doing it again here

Can I see it?

principal-principal-skinner.gif

I can't think of a single instance of Nintendo or TPC ever reporting players (they aren't Microsoft) but we don't have to guess when the Japanese press release confirms that it's units.

Multiple profiles

Multiple players can use one copy.
Those are fair points didn't thought of that, I just thought every cartridge and digital copy was unique and thus we could get the gold points. So, multiple users didn't account for multiple copies
I can't think of a single instance of Nintendo or TPC ever reporting players (they aren't Microsoft) but we don't have to guess when the Japanese press release confirms that it's units.
☺️

Will be curious to see what the legs look like for this, especially if Gen IX releases on Switch.

I bet it will be around 18 million in Nintendo’s next financial report.
18M in just over 2 months would be insane.

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't happen, but that's probably the same pace ACNH was at, and that was very likely the fastest selling exclusive game of all time.

It usually comes around this time during the week because this is when they get Media Create data up till the past Sunday for JP (& possibly other local trackers across other markets) and thus have enough confidence between those, their own tracking, and their own digital sales data to give a 1st "tracking week" figure.
So you’re saying it is a figure for the first seven days, an informed estimate based on their data? I thought it was just the hard numbers for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday being reported here

So you’re saying it is a figure for the first seven days, an informed estimate based on their data? I thought it was just the hard numbers for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday being reported here

It is hard numbers for Fri/Sat/Sun.

Regional 3rd party trackers (NPD/MC/etc.) track weekly data either Sun-Sat or Mon-Sun. Nintendo has received this data (for the week ending 1/29/22), plugged in their own data to fill in gaps in regions where 3rd party tracking is unavailable, and added in their internal digital sell-through (through Sun 1/29/22) to come up with this figure.

No tracking outlet would have figures for the week ending 2/6/22 yet (the current week), since that week is still being actively tracked.

Same logic applies to all of these (except Capcom/Koei's figures, they are providing their internal shipped+digital sales, but through the same timeframe - Sunday after launch):

Largest NSW Launch Weeks (Fri-Sun)

Sell-Through

PLA | JAN 22 | >6.5M
SwSh | NOV 19 | >6.0M
BDSP | NOV 21 | >6.0M
SSBU | DEC 18 | >5.0M
LGPE | NOV 18 | >3.0M
SMO | OCT 17 | >2.0M

Shipped

MHR | MAR 21 | >4.0M
AOC | NOV 20 | >3.0M

Nintendo/TPC has pretty consistently reported week 1 (Fri-Sun) sell-through for NSW software titles. ACNH was the big missing one that might actually be at the top of this list

18M in just over 2 months would be insane.

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't happen, but that's probably the same pace ACNH was at, and that was very likely the fastest selling exclusive game of all time.

It's very unlikely.

Pokemon manages to do 10-15 millions in one quarter because it usually launches during holidays. This isnt the case, so sales will be more gradual over the year.
Mark my words.

It is hard numbers for Fri/Sat/Sun.

Regional 3rd party trackers (NPD/MC/etc.) track weekly data either Sun-Sat or Mon-Sun. Nintendo has received this data (for the week ending 1/29/22), plugged in their own data to fill in gaps in regions where 3rd party tracking is unavailable, and added in their internal digital sell-through (through Sun 1/29/22) to come up with this figure.

No tracking outlet would have figures for the week ending 2/6/22 yet (the current week), since that week is still being actively tracked.

Same logic applies to all of these (except Capcom/Koei's figures, they are providing their internal shipped+digital sales, but through the same timeframe - Sunday after launch):
Yeah I’m following you then. I just got tripped up when I misread your wording in your previous post. Cool to know more behind how the numbers get pulled together though

Apparently people wanted an open-world Pokemon game like they had always imagined as kids?

Who knew.
People like to repeat that, but I doubt most people actually wanted PLA.

I read a comment, I think it was on Twitter, that SwSh only sold because of the name while PLA sells because it's good or something. lol I guess some people will say anything to explain SwSh's success away.

Copies. It's a single player game without online connection requirements. It would be impossible for TPC to know how many players the game has.

Uh, Nintendo and TPC definitely have very accurate data for the number of switches/profiles that have played any given game on a switch with any sort of internet connection, regardless of online functionality in games.

All the first party companies will be collecting that kind of data.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom