• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon Trading Card Game Pocket announced for iOS/Android, coming this year

I hope this doesn't include any NFT blockchain stuff, if not I am excited.

Last edited:
Interesting to see if this coexists with or replaces the mobile version of TCG Live.

Replacing would be weird as it hasn't been long since live properly released but if it coexists do you share the same cards between each or will this be complely seperate somehow?

It'd also be nice if one of these games actually came to console.

jesus, this feels like a fuck you to the TCGO. how are they gonna handle that?
The TCGO has been soulless for over a decade. Pokémon TCG is a super fun game with very little ways to engage with it. The Modern "Live" and older client are so bland they make playing the game a complete chore. I'm all for more ways to interact with the TCG in game form.

I don't play mobile games besides solitaire, but this certainly has my interest. I wish we would get a Switch version, but mobile probably makes more sense.

Honestly I could see myself getting into this. Like, it's TCG for babies, but it's free, and im baby

The TCGO has been soulless for over a decade. Pokémon TCG is a super fun game with very little ways to engage with it. The Modern "Live" and older client are so bland they make playing the game a complete chore. I'm all for more ways to interact with the TCG in game form.
the problem was, IMO, was that Creatures weren't working on that. it was a TPCi project, so I wouldn't be too shocked if resources were scant.

They are working on this app
there does look to be some similarity in the presentation, so I hope they did move over to this. but it does leave the PC client in limbo. maybe they can make the new game Windows compatible through the Android on Windows function

So this is Duel Links but for PTCG? Unlikely to interest me but I did find Duel Links more appealing than something like Master Duel.

I could see myself getting into this. I never really got into the actual game part of the TCG, but back in the day I loved looking at the artwork, so opening two packs a day just to see some cool art sounds pretty neat

yeah but not sure if you have to crack them immediately or if you can hoard a bunch
Agh, this makes me think of the time I took an edible and then spent all of my money on the claw machine in Astro's Playroom. That was the best day ever.

yeah but not sure if you have to crack them immediately or if you can hoard a bunch
i think the trailer made it pretty clear that if you don’t interrupt your sleep time/park bench chillin/job interview to respond to the notification immediately, you are simply not getting the packs

honestly...this seems pretty amazing
my son would love it, I need to pay attention to its possible spending lol

My expectation is you will have to log in within a certain time frame (12 hours with two packs a day, probably) to claim your drop, but then those go on the pile and you can go open your packs whenever you want.

i think the trailer made it pretty clear that if you don’t interrupt your sleep time/park bench chillin/job interview to respond to the notification immediately, you are simply not getting the packs
OOF

My expectation is you will have to log in within a certain time frame (12 hours with two packs a day, probably) to claim your drop, but then those go on the pile and you can go open your packs whenever you want.
catch me buying that in-flight wifi then because I'm not missing a pack

I used to be pretty addicted to opening physical Pokemon cards. I think I stopped because I realized what a waste of money it was. This is free though, if I stick to two packs a day. Which I totally can do. Btw what does everyone think the prices will be for more packs lol.

I used to be pretty addicted to opening physical Pokemon cards. I think I stopped because I realized what a waste of money it was. This is free though, if I stick to two packs a day. Which I totally can do. Btw what does everyone think the prices will be for more packs lol.
if they go with duel links pricing
1.99 for 3packs + secret rare
5.99 for 10packs + secret rare
9.99 for 12packs + secret rare
29.99 for 36packs + secret rare + ultra rare
44.99 for 60packs + 2 secret rare + 2 ultra rare

we will be playing the Pokemon card pack opening simulator

also looks like they've taken Marvel Snap inspiration with some of the card effects, very nice

this shit is gonna milk my wallet for all i’ve got

I love it. Cannot wait. I feel like giving 2 packs a day is, quite honestly, very generous for a gacha game.

Guessing this is Pokemon's version of Yugioh's Duel Links (casual play with modified rules) and Master Duel (competitive play with regular rules).

TCG Pocket (casual play with modified rules)
TCG Live (competitive play with regular rules)

Players that want a quick game with modified rules have it with Pocket, while players that want the regular game still would have it with Live.

What I think would be cool - you can open packs from specific generations. I think that would be a neat feature to keep the interest high for all generations.

me when I open a pack with Greninja (the best Pokemon) in it
image.png

If I was going to bother to collect cards, I'd rather collect them irl. Not for me I don't think.
Personally, I think I’m past that. I wouldn’t have anywhere to store my cards, and no one to play with anyway. Easy access and low-barrier mobile TCG sounds very appealing to me.

I’m more excited for this than Legends and I loved Arceus. I spent so much time and money on Duel Links that I know this is gonna hit good with me.

Why would anyone think this had NFTs?
Honestly, it's my fault for thinking it; I was reading in the comments for the twitter post and almost all of the comments were comparing this to NFT's even though it is nothing like them. I think I was just being a bit paranoid because the NFT craze is thankfully dying down and the last boost they need is from one of the most popular brands in the world.

It very obviously has nothing to do with NFT's and I was silly for thinking it.

look it’s bait but it’s good bait

no other version has appealed to me, but this being like “you know those weird art cards you and everyone else had as a kid? here they are, focus on the weird art” goes for my throat

that and the fact that you fingerslice the packs

god dammit

I hope they are starting with generation 1 only.

And maybe some digital only/interesting mechanics???

Idk though cause the strong cards they showed only had the "discard 2 energy" to do super powerful move, mechanic.

So far.

But hopefully it's not like a dumbed down version.

Edit: weird, I saw Gardevoir mixed in with all those gen 1s.

I’ve been thinking about this since it was announced

I hope the “2024” release is “early 2024” or “mid 2024” and not “late 2024.” I wanna start rippin‘ open those virtual packs (which I’mma call V-PAX) ASAP

Back
Top Bottom