• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Pokémon Legends Z-A announced for Nintendo Switch, releasing in 2025

Excuse me, what the fuck happened to Unova
Either it's getting a BDSP style remake set for this year that they just didn't announce here, or it's getting something more ambitious later, or we'll see it again in the next Legends

Basically no idea

It was really nice to be genuinely surprised and not have it leaked, especially since this one was so unpredictable

This is fantastic news for many reasons;
it's good to see another game set in Kalos
it's good to see another Legends game
and it's good to have our expectations subverted.

My only request is no framerate chugging horde battles. 😅

This is the absolute best option. Game Freak gets more time to make it, it's a Legends game with an interesting concept, and Gen 10 is most likely 2026 or maybe even 2027.

The absolute best would be if this was set in any region other than Kalos, but yeah lol

Not Unova

This year STILL has no fucking games

No gameplay

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This has a good chance of turning out really great, though. I'm excited
Honestly I think this might have been a Switch 2 game, hence why it got pushed to 2025. I can’t imagine TPC happy about no Pokemon release in one year.
It's Game Freak. They're always releasing for a system even after its successor is out

Honestly I think this might have been a Switch 2 game, hence why it got pushed to 2025. I can’t imagine TPC happy about no Pokemon release in one year.
I'm fairly sure their current tech would just explode at the thought of doing an open city map so yeah I'm betting on cross gen with an only technically functional Switch version

Love the announcement since Legends was the best thing to happen to the series in my opinion. But also kinda scared the concept might be too different from Legends, since the catching is what I like the most in Pokemon and especially in Arceus.
Anyway, great news!
Honestly what else would they even make you do? It's probably about catching Pokémon to build the city.
I just wonder if it really takes place just in the city or if it will let you travel outside to some planes.
That's what's interesting me,

Last edited:
Not Unova

This year STILL has no fucking games

No gameplay

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

This has a good chance of turning out really great, though. I'm excited

It's Game Freak. They're always releasing for a system even after its successor is out
I'm pretty happy to see no game this year. They need to take their time, as much as possible.
There are two types of Pokémon fans.

So what starters we thinking? I'm trying to think of 'mons that would fit in Kalos. Their national animal is a rooster so maybe a rooster Torchic/Blaziken for one?
Kalosian Meganium - Grass/Fire
Kalosian Infernape - Fire/Water
Kalosian Intelleon - Water/Grass

Would be cool. Not expecting them to go with the primary types though.

As others have said Arceus was said to be Early 2022 while this just says 2025 so I'm pretty hopeful this will be in the later half of 2025 and Gen X will be Nov 2026.

Plus they actually showed footage of PLA in the reveal. This was just a teaser, so it's probably not coming out anytime soon.

I'm fairly sure their current tech would just explode at the thought of doing an open city map so yeah I'm betting on cross gen with an only technically functional Switch version
Wasn't the original Switch 2 reveal supposed to be in March? If this was playyed to be a Switch2 game but the delay changed their reveal plans I don't think they would reveal this in February.
It's gonna be a Switch 1 game and maling uo weird Switch 2 theories is just wishful thinking, especially with Game Freak who famously released BW2 and USUM on the prior gen when the successor consoles were already out.

As historian based on the aesthetics on the trailer and history I can say that Legend arceus was based on around 1910s Hokkaido (the time Japan started to heavily colonize the place, which is a topic of the game). Looking at this game I would say it's around 1890s France, the time they started to build the Eiffel tower for the World's Fair. Which is an awesome setting.

Now she'll really be surprised when she sees the gen 10 launch in late 2025.
Nah, I think the Pokemon Company decided to extend the dev times after the Pokemon SV mess. Yes, the games still sold pretty well, but that kind of stuff could be damaging to the brand long term.

Legends ZA only being dated 2025 is a dead giveaway. Arceus was dated as Early 2022 from the start.

The Switch CPU is gonna be doing a fucking iron man trying to run this shit. A dense city + Game Freak?

My V1 Switch may very well explode
It's probably gonna be segmented into a buch of load zones, they already had Loading screens in the first Legends, I don't think they would want to repeat the performance of the SV capital.

Hinestly what else would they even make you do? It's probably about catching Pokémon to build the city.
I just wonder if it really takes place just in the city or if it will let you travel outside to some planes.
That's what's interesting me,
I think we could expect anything after all, but yeah despite my fears I still think it might be about catching pokemon in a "not-build yet" Lumiose City to actually build it.

Also, wording from website and especially Nintendo America's tweet seems to indicate the game will take place exclusively within the city

Plus they actually showed footage of PLA in the reveal. This was just a teaser, so it's probably not coming out anytime soon.
I have a feeling they didn't show actual gameplay footage because it wasn't ready now and to avoid online reactions about technical issues such as the ones we got for every last games

So it seems Pokémon Legends as a "series" is here to stay and releasing as the in-between generations project.

Berry good

Legends it is.

Imo, it was either this, or a remake.

Really hope it's cross-gen, i would like if they were able to use the tools that come with Switch 2 for a better game experience this time.

Wasn't the original Switch 2 reveal supposed to be in March? If this was playyed to be a Switch2 game but the delay changed their reveal plans I don't think they would reveal this in February.
It's gonna be a Switch 1 game and maling uo weird Switch 2 theories is just wishful thinking, especially with Game Freak who famously released BW2 and USUM on the prior gen when the successor consoles were already out.
Never said it's not going to release on Switch (and thus could've been revealed whenever), but it's absolutely made with Switch 2 in mind. At the very least they'll have the next gen patch ready since rumored backwards compatability means it'll be playable on 2 either way

And past behavior doesn't always indicate future behavior. GameFreak probably regrets missing out on the first year of Switch

Also, what's the wishful thinking here? It's hardly a ludicrous idea that a game scheduled for a nebulous time within a system's rumored launch year would be made with said system in mind

I'm pretty happy to see no game this year. They need to take their time, as much as possible.
Arceus was announced the year after Sw/Sh DLCs, and it launched a year after its announcement. PLZA is being announced a year after SV DLCs, and they say it will launch next year...

Unless it's a late 2025 game, they are not taking their time.

They could monstrum nox it.
I just wonder what you even do in the city then?
Legends was much more about catching Pokémon than anything else.
"Oh no there's a rattata plague in these sewers, take care of them!"?
I think it would probably have more areas outside the city than Ys IX

Arceus was announced the year after Sw/Sh DLCs, and it launched a year after its announcement. PLZA is being announced a year after SV DLCs, and they say it will launch next year...

Unless it's a late 2025 game, they are not takeing their time.
Yeah, assuming development started as soon as Arceus was shipped and that it will launch early 2025 at soonest, that would make a 3 years dev time, which is the same time as Arceus and S/V (right?)

Considering their usual output would have included all of that plus another game this year on top of all of that, I would constitute avoiding a 2024 release as at least a step towards taking their time.

The Legends team and the mainline team are seperate though.
And with Arceus we already had gameplay around this time and knew it was an early 2022 game, instead of just 2025 we have now, it could come out some time in summer even.

Either it's getting a BDSP style remake set for this year that they just didn't announce here, or it's getting something more ambitious later, or we'll see it again in the next Legends

Basically no idea
Neither. It's just not time yet. 3 years between BDSP and gen 5 remakes would've been the fastest turnaround between remakes ever.

Development likely hasn't even started on gen 5 remakes, or is just beginning.

Considering their usual output would have included all of that plus another game this year on top of all of that, I would constitute avoiding a 2024 release as at least a step towards taking their time.
Nope, it's literally the same situation, BDSP weren't made by Game Freak.

The Legends team and the mainline team are seperate though.
And with Arceus we already had gameplay around this time and knew it was an early 2022 game, instead of just 2025 we have now, it could come out some time in summer even.
That's true, not having gameplay this time is definitely an important difference, so we'll se. I hope it launches November 2025 the earliest.

This will run on the Switch 2 via BC, but I would temper my expectations towards a proper Switch 2 version of the game because it's 99% not happening. It's gonna be a Switch 1 game.

I pointed out over and over again here that it’s too early for Unova remakes. “But Khu”—Khu is clearly full of shit now. And regardless, there was never any good reason to believe that Unova remakes were gonna be announced here, anyway. There’s no way TPC would increase the pace of releasing remakes, putting themselves into a situation where they’ll eventually catch up to the current generation and run out of games to remake. That was never going to happen. Unova remakes will come 5+ years after BD/SP at the earliest (so 2026 or later).

Stop expecting remakes outside of the typical release window for them, and you’ll save yourself a lot of disappointment.

I am pleasantly surprised that the game that was announced was a Kalos Legends game, though! That was definitely my most wanted region for a new Legends game (because Kalos needs it more than any other region, honestly, lol).

This will run on the Switch 2 via BC, but I would temper my expectations towards a proper Switch 2 version of the game because it's 99% not happening. It's gonna be a Switch 1 game.
Yup, Game Freak are not known for being early adopters of new hardware.

I feel like if PLZA was an early 2025 title, they would have specified, since that's something The Pokémon Company has done with announcements in recent years. SV was announced as Late 2022, PLA was Early 2022, BDSP was Late 2021, SwSh was Late 2019, etc. The last time they only gave a year was SuMo's trailer being given a 2016 date.

Maybe it's just me hoping really hard, but giving PLZA a vague 2025 date tells me that we shouldn't expect it within Nintendo's FY25 fiscal year and that it could very well end up being a Holiday 2025 release.

CGI trailer is very worrying, hope this isn't as empty and repetitive as the first game.
isn’t this just how they announce their main games these days? I swear scarlet/violet were announced with a zero-gameplay trailer and those were launching the same year

I just wonder what you even do in the city then?
Legends was much more about catching Pokémon than anything else.
"Oh no there's a rattata plague in these sewers, take care of them!"?
I think it would probably have more areas outside the city than Ys IX
It could be catching all wild Pokémon within kuki ode boundaries so they can continue to expand it.

Essentially it starts as pretty run down rural town but slowly you get rid of all the antiretroviral and Pokémon to build a big city.

That’s a positive message if I’ve ever seen one

Never said it's not going to release on Switch (and thus could've been revealed whenever), but it's absolutely made with Switch 2 in mind. At the very least they'll have the next gen patch ready since rumored backwards compatability means it'll be playable on 2 either way

And past behavior doesn't always indicate future behavior. GameFreak probably regrets missing out on the first year of Switch

Also, what's the wishful thinking here? It's hardly a ludicrous idea that a game scheduled for a nebulous time within a system's rumored launch year would be made with said system in mind
It just feels like when Totk took so long or when Sparks of Hope got shown of and people were like "Those have to be Switch 2 games, they just aren't telling us!!!"
Which they didn't, because they weren't.

I also honestly don't believe Game Freak will be able to delvier worthwile technical advancements with how many issues their games had when they just had to develop for one hardware configuration, put another on top and it's gonna increase the workload.
They seem to be advocates of the cheaoer way out.

Back
Top Bottom