• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Review Thread

since we're talking about graphics here, here's a strange one. I think the game the ground is reflecting a global light despite being completely enclosed. makes me think this game is using some kind of probe-solution. maybe a probe grid attached to the player?

Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade DE are graphically better than PLA.

Of course image qualities are the major weakness for both xeno games but the details of PLA's geometries, textures, lightings, structures, vegetations, effects, animations, and etc are 2 generations behind in comparison lol.

DMFj6CGXUAE042Z

PokemonLegendsArceus_Feb_EN_US.jpg

xenoblade-2-2.jpg

pokemon-arceus-valley.jpg

large.jpg

billboard-reduced-motion.jpg

Last edited:

Of course image qualities are the major weakness for both xeno games but the details of PLA's geometries, textures, lightings, structures, vegetations, effects, animations, and etc are 2 generations behind in comparison lol.

DMFj6CGXUAE042Z

xenoblade-2-2.jpg

large.jpg

And Xenoblade 2 dips into the 300p territory with way worse framerate. It's a matter of priorities.

DMFj6CGXUAE042Z

xenoblade-2-2.jpg

large.jpg

Xenoblade 2 is what I think is the best looking game on Switch period, but it’s undeniable how low resolution it gets in handheld mode. Legends on the other hand has been native 720p for as far as I have been able to see.
BOTW is a better comparison as it at least hits 720p sometimes

I think Legends is limited on the cpu side of things. On reason for show draw distance is to keep draw calls to a minimum. Maybe GF's engine isn't optimized for drawing and shading lots of objects. This would also put Zelda ahead of it since there's a huge simulation element to the game and Pokemon doesn't have that. There could be other reasons, too

the only game of this scope that looks substantially better is monster hunter rise

botw looks about the same

No way. BotW is technically better in literally every way other than maybe resolution and even then it's not clear.

And I think the game looks fine - a better comparison would be MHS2.

At least Arceus doesn't look like someone has spilled vaseline on my screen when playing in handheld. Nice and crisp native 720p.

the only game of this scope that looks substantially better is monster hunter rise

botw looks about the same
Zelda is not the same. I play this game and I tell myself how BotW is definitely better. This is not a really good looking game. It’s good enough.

alright it's settled, I'm gonna play botw again after this

tired of remembering it looking like shit when everyone else thinks it looks great

do you disagree? botw may have a more technically sound lighting solution but its textures are shit, colors are worse, and it performs worse
I think you should boot up botw for a few minutes. it has performance problems in some areas, yes, but in terms of visual design? it's night and day.

BOTW looks much better then Legends. And it’s not as stiff as legends is.

I hope next legends game they up the fluidity of the animations. Always more fun seeing that in motion then better graphics. It’s Pokémon, I wanna see those characters and Pokémon be more live. It’s a good start in legends.

I think it’s a case of misremembering cause the colors in BOTW are much better.

I'm afraid to make fun of dr laventon's animations because maybe he has like gout or something

the more I play of this thing, the more that IGN review makes sense to me. the new loop is pretty fun, but the world is far too shallow to support it through the full length of a game. how many times are we going to get the "this is a set-up for the next game" excuse? the wild areas in sword/shield were a testbed for this game, which is a testbed for a new direction for the franchise. the next game will have a fleshed out world, this is the one where they revamp the catching mechanics! how about you just make a decent game out of the gate?

truly stoked for folks that are enjoying this thing fully. perhaps I just need to punch out of this franchise and let people have their fun

Getting the topic back to reviews for a second:

I don't understand the shots taken against Rebekah Valentine. If you read both her Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl review and her Legends: Arceus review, the text backs up why the former received an 8 and the latter ended up as a 7. And if there's still confusion, she appeared on two episodes of IGNs Nintendo Voice Chat related to each game. She's been clear, useful voice as a critic in my short time hearing from her.

Getting the topic back to reviews for a second:

I don't understand the shots taken against Rebekah Valentine. If you read both her Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl review and her Legends: Arceus review, the text backs up why the former received an 8 and the latter ended up as a 7. And if there's still confusion, she appeared on two episodes of IGNs Nintendo Voice Chat related to each game. She's been clear, useful voice as a critic in my short time hearing from her.
For me it seems like her standards for a remake are very low while for a bran new kind of game that is trying to be different her standards her high. I will say, she's able to defend herself eloquently but it's painful to see that shit remake get an 8 lmao. It's so uninspiring and really doesn't capture the essence of the originals imo.

But also, a lot of the criticism is because she's a woman. That's just the shitty part of this industry.

They should've probably gotten some(more) help from Monolithsoft.

Monolith had no involvement with PLA. People, or more specifically NateTheHate who spread the false claim, mistook some employees from Seven Dreams Inc., a support studio Monolith outsourced to for Xenoblade 2, as Monolithsoft employees.

Every game they developed or assisted with will be listed on their website.

Last edited:
For me it seems like her standards for a remake are very low while for a bran new kind of game that is trying to be different her standards her high. I will say, she's able to defend herself eloquently but it's painful to see that shit remake get an 8 lmao. It's so uninspiring and really doesn't capture the essence of the originals imo.

But also, a lot of the criticism is because she's a woman. That's just the shitty part of this industry.

Eloquence is one of the most important qualities of a reviewer. Without it, they're useless unless they align with your personal tastes. With it, even if they value different things, you're able to judge whether their criticisms will bother you to the same degree.

In the end, it's a difference of one point. In my own ratings of games I played, when I go back years later I'm still satisfied if I feel I was off by a mere point. That fluctuation is well within what can happen if a game catches me at the wrong time. And the review process for Arceus would seem to heighten the frustrations. Besides, 7 is good on the IGN scale, and it's hard to make something great on the first try. Or the second, or the third...

I think what people always forget is that until 3 years ago, Gamefreak was exclusively a developer for rather underpowered portable hardware. Technically, Pokemon Sun/Moon was a great looking game for 3DS hardware for example, which shows that it is not like they aren't able to produce graphically competent games relative to the hardware capabilities.

We know from the Wii U how hard it is for developers to adapt to way more powerful hardware than before and the 3DS -> Switch jump is the biggest one yet. You could say that they should have prepared better, but the same could be said about all of Nintendo in that case (and Nintendo has the advantage of not needing to have a new Pokemon game ready essentially every year).

I think what people always forget is that until 3 years ago, Gamefreak was exclusively a developer for rather underpowered portable hardware. Technically, Pokemon Sun/Moon was a great looking game for 3DS hardware for example, which shows that it is not like they aren't able to produce graphically competent games relative to the hardware capabilities.

We know from the Wii U how hard it is for developers to adapt to way more powerful hardware than before and the 3DS -> Switch jump is the biggest one yet. You could say that they should have prepared better, but the same could be said about all of Nintendo in that case (and Nintendo has the advantage of not needing to have a new Pokemon game ready essentially every year).
Tembo was 2015

You could say that they should have prepared better, but the same could be said about all of Nintendo in that case (and Nintendo has the advantage of not needing to have a new Pokemon game ready essentially every year).
are you saying there are other Nintendo franchises that have had the same kind of growing pains as Pokemon? Fire Emblem is the only one that I can think of (in the switch era at least), and despite Three Houses' fidelity issues it's a hell of a game, imo. Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Splatoon...they all made the jump gracefully

It took them 5 years to develop X and if I remember correctly, MS themselves said they also had lots of problems during development.
5 years because it was insanely ambitious as well as being their first HD game. However, Monolith made the jump to HD better than anyone could have hoped.

Also we don't know the details of the problems they faced and I don't remember Monolithsoft themselves ever talking about development problems with X. You got a source? I only remember an Emily Rogers tweet claiming they had problems.

Last edited:
are you saying there are other Nintendo franchises that have had the same kind of growing pains as Pokemon? Fire Emblem is the only one that I can think of (in the switch era at least), and despite Three Houses' fidelity issues it's a hell of a game, imo. Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Splatoon...they all made the jump gracefully

They all made the transition smoothly in terms of quality, but in terms of software output and development times they took a huge hit. TPC in comparison wants to release one game every year so they can't just delay their games 2-3 years as it was the case with BotW.

5 years because it was insanely ambitious as well as being their first HD game. We don't know the details of the problems they faced.

Sure, just like for every other Nintendo game it was their first HD game. Quality wasn't the issue with Nintendo games but rather the time it took, which resulted in less games being released because they had to allocate way more staff than ever before on one particular game. And funnily enough, that problem still extends to this day which is showcased by the lessened EPD output in recent years.

And if I remember correctly, they talked about some of the detailed problems in the Iwata Asks.

They all made the transition smoothly in terms of quality, but in terms of software output and development times they took a huge hit. Gamefreak in comparison wants to release one game every year so they can't just delay their games 2-3 years as it was the case with BotW.
ah okay, yeah, that's certainly the case. damn shame, that

Am I a shill for being able to enjoy a game and think it's "good" and "fun" despite lower than average graphics and performance

This graphics discussion is getting tired and there's an entire fresh experience and gameplay loop to discuss, too

And if I remember correctly, they talked about some of the detailed problems in the Iwata Asks.
They only talked about how midway through development of X they had to turn the main character into an avatar and rewrite some of the story to make it compatible with online play.

Am I a shill for being able to enjoy a game and think it's "good" and "fun" despite lower than average graphics and performance

This graphics discussion is getting tired and there's an entire fresh experience and gameplay loop to discuss, too
I agree that the graphics discussion is getting long in the tooth

(I'm about ten hours in and the game is collapsing in on itself because the world they built the loop on top of is dull and lifeless, and I don't mean graphically)

The graphics discussion can go on forever because you can't simply argue away what someone feels about a thing literally right in front of their eyes. If the game looks bad to sometime it'll look bad no matter what, and if that's a deal-breaker then that's valid as well - the same validity goes for if you think the game looks fine, acceptable, or even good, of course.

As such I'd honestly say it's best if the "graphics are fine," or even "graphics are justifiable," people simply ignored the "graphics are bad," people and moved on. The ST seems to have to done that, thankfully. Haven't seen many posts at all just about the graphics in there.

the more I play of this thing, the more that IGN review makes sense to me. the new loop is pretty fun, but the world is far too shallow to support it through the full length of a game. how many times are we going to get the "this is a set-up for the next game" excuse? the wild areas in sword/shield were a testbed for this game, which is a testbed for a new direction for the franchise. the next game will have a fleshed out world, this is the one where they revamp the catching mechanics! how about you just make a decent game out of the gate?

truly stoked for folks that are enjoying this thing fully. perhaps I just need to punch out of this franchise and let people have their fun

GF gets so many test beds they need to get another building to store them lol.

I'm more than 10 hours in now, the new gameplay loops is fun, so are the new catching mechanics and battle mechanics, but I agree that the world is indeed quite dull and samey, nowhere near the magic and wonder of Zelda. I wonder if it'll get better further into the game.

The graphics discussion can go on forever because you can't simply argue away what someone feels about a thing literally right in front of their eyes. If the game looks bad to sometime it'll look bad no matter what, and if that's a deal-breaker then that's valid as well - the same validity goes for if you think the game looks fine, acceptable, or even good, of course.
Yeah, of course—every opinion is valid. But I'm talking about the endless debate and discussion that's going nowhere and not changing any minds because ultimately it comes down to the individual's threshold of acceptance.

As such I'd honestly say it's best if the "graphics are fine," or even "graphics are justifiable," people simply ignored the "graphics are bad," people and moved on. The ST seems to have to done that, thankfully. Haven't seen many posts at all just about the graphics in there.

it's piss unambitious visuals are enough to make me pass for now
let’s not pretend it’s doing some wild heavy lifting in non-visual areas and that it’s all somehow a fair trade-off for better visuals.
another reason why it's time for Game Freak to scale up.
the game looks really bad visually compared to other games that make less money.
it's obviously time to invest in hiring more people, that's how normal businesses handle things.
the console has the minimum hardware to run open areas games with modern visuals.
so, whats the problem with legends arceus?
it looks bad in ways that I wasn't even expecting.
the details of PLA's geometries, textures, lightings, structures, vegetations, effects, animations, and etc are 2 generations behind in comparison lol.

Graphics whining is simply onbnoxious and tiring in a thread whose focus is the mostly positive reviews that say the graphics, while not good, do not inhibit the enjoyment or experience of the game.

If you want to compare "sides", there are a lot more people in this thread who seem to think this is where they need to prove with screenshots and sources that the graphics are "shit", as if every single person playing the game cannot tell it isn't squeezing the most out of the system.

I'd think it would be more relevant to discuss how the bad graphics are somehow not causing a sub-85 score.
Maybe it's because the gameplay and exploration are that enjoyable to that many people, and those who are allowing the bad graphics to interfere with their enjoyment of the game are doing so at their own detriment.

I think most players of AAA games would rather the graphics be mediocre than the fundamentally broken products shit out by the likes of EA, 2K or Blizzard.

Early game question: Are you not able to catch the first Alpha Pokemon you fight in the main mission? I got it down to a slither of health and threw like ten balls at it and couldn't catch it while it slowly wiped my team.

Early game question: Are you not able to catch the first Alpha Pokemon you fight in the main mission? I got it down to a slither of health and threw like ten balls at it and couldn't catch it while it slowly wiped my team.
You are able to.

Monolith had no involvement with PLA. People, or more specifically NateTheHate who spread the false claim, mistook some employees from Seven Dreams Inc., a support studio Monolith outsourced to for Xenoblade 2, as Monolithsoft employees.

Every game they developed or assisted with will be listed on their website.
Noriko Uono, who is credited in the FIELD DESIGN TEAM, is (was?) an employee of Monolith Soft.
She is listed next to the LEAD, Haruka Tochigi, so she must have made a significant contribution.

Last edited:
Noriko Uono, who is credited in the FIELD DESIGN TEAM, is (was?) an employee of Monolith Soft.
She is listed next to the LEAD, Haruka Tochigi, so she must have made a significant contribution.

Interesting. Seems she only worked on Xenoblade X, for which she is credited for icon design, and the rest are mostly other Nintendo IPs which makes it very likely think she's from Monolith Kyoto and not a core member of the Xenoblade team.

Last edited:
Interesting. Seems she only worked on Xenoblade X, for which she is credited for icon design, and the rest are mostly other Nintendo IPs which makes it very likely think she's from Monolith Kyoto and not a core member of the Xenoblade team.
Yes, she joined Monolith Kyoto when it was established.

Yeah, of course—every opinion is valid. But I'm talking about the endless debate and discussion that's going nowhere and not changing any minds because ultimately it comes down to the individual's threshold of acceptance.

Graphics whining is simply onbnoxious and tiring in a thread whose focus is the mostly positive reviews that say the graphics, while not good, do not inhibit the enjoyment or experience of the game.

If you want to compare "sides", there are a lot more people in this thread who seem to think this is where they need to prove with screenshots and sources that the graphics are "shit", as if every single person playing the game cannot tell it isn't squeezing the most out of the system.

I'd think it would be more relevant to discuss how the bad graphics are somehow not causing a sub-85 score.
Maybe it's because the gameplay and exploration are that enjoyable to that many people, and those who are allowing the bad graphics to interfere with their enjoyment of the game are doing so at their own detriment.

I think there are lot of assumption being made here about people criticising the graphics.

I don't think the graphics are shit, it just looks lacklustre. Gameplay will obviously always come first and there's less complaints to be made there than the graphics.

However, what does interfere with my enjoyment is the lack of visual variety which is both a gameplay issue and partially an extension of the graphics issue, I'm plenty of hours in the game and every area is looking very similar. That's not good for a game relying on exploration.

The graphics of a game can be bad and you can enjoy it. For those that are put off by the graphics, they are missing out on a potentially good single player experience. For me, I'm already 25 hours in after 2 days

Back
Top Bottom