• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Review Thread

I usually only buy one Pokémon game per generation to get my fill, but it seems they’ve pulled this one off. I might pick up a copy this Friday.

The scores as they stand aren't far off Metroid Dread and Halo Infinite - it's a fantastic result in the current reviews context!

Since I know there were still questions about the game would play, I think these examples should be telling :

Because Nintendo has been oddly hesitant to show much of the game even at this late stage, there are still a lot of people who can’t quite pinpoint exactly what game Legends plays most like.
The obvious comparison is Breath of the Wild, given that one of its early trailers showed that now-common trope of the protagonist standing over a cliff viewing a vast expanse of fields in front of them. And yes, it has to be said that Zelda certainly does appear to be one of the main influences.

That’s not to say it’s a straight imitation, though: instead, Legends takes bits and pieces from various different open-world games and incorporates them into one glorious mash-up.
At times it does indeed feel like Breath of the Wild, as you run around its vast expanses, collecting berries, seeds and other ingredients and juggling them in your inventory so you can craft items to help you in your quest.

At other times, though, it feels more like Monster Hunter, as you continually return to your home village and take on a sizable series of side-quests, many of which have you heading out to certain parts of the world to track down a specific target then return for your reward.

Most often, though, it feels a lot like Xenoblade Chronicles, in that its large, open areas are sprawling with creatures freely wandering around, and for the most part, you can choose which ones to engage with and which ones to ignore. It’s this aspect that makes Legends feel more like a living, breathing world than any other Pokémon game before it.

Hey everyone, just a heads up, the ST for this game has not yet been claimed. We would like to have an ST ready prior to launch, so if you are interested in creating one, please let us know! Otherwise, we have a volunteer to create if needed.

So definitely above my initial 85% guess, great to see! I wonder if it will settle just blow 89% or finally be the game to break the 90% threshold after all this time.

Can't wait to get my copy in on Friday to play all this weekend. BDSP did nothing for me in filling that Pokemon itch. Can't wait to spend hundreds of hours in Arceus shiny hunting and enjoying everything the game has to offer. I hope it gets DLC for other regions, not something lame like the Battle Zone and calling it a day.

Gen 9 should be around the corner and if the rumors are right. It could be set in Italy or India.

85/86 on Meta/Open Critic: not bad at all! another JRPG to play the hell out of on my Switch incoming!

Reviews have drawn me in and I hit pre-order with one of my vouchers on the eShop, even if some of the Hisuian forms are... questionable at best.

added a bunch of video reviews to the OP. just search for "video" on the first page.

Much higher than I was expecting based off of it's initial reveal trailer. Slightly higher than what I was expecting after hearing impressions from people with early copies.
Very excited to play this now though, should be really fun.
Also, I always enjoy Pokemon games reviewing well when it can have such a negative fanbase at times, it really makes me laugh to see people accusing it of having paid reviews, ignoring the fact that diamond and pearl got trashed by reviewers comparatively and that was Nintendo's big holiday game.

GameFreak has done it again. I'm sure they are pleased seeing all these glowing reviews. Hope it gives them the will to do another one of these down the line!

Yup, looks like we have another evergreen on our hands. Will probably have to get it down the line if word of mouth is in line with reviews. No idea when I would actually get around to play it, though…

Either way, I am glad Gamefreak trying something new is seemingly going to pay off.

This is pretty much what I was expecting. I said in the prediction thread the metacritic would be 85 give or take a point or two. I'm hyped to play the game on Friday. May have a snowstorm here this weekend so I'll be set.

Now that it isn't just Poketubers saying it's good/the best thing ever...I may actually believe this now.

Around where I was expecting, good to see

Firmly established as the best rated Pokémon game on Switch, at least, and approaching the critical heights of the 3DS (impressive given reviews have trended harsher since then)

Can't wait to try it out by myself
surely I hope something from Arceus will translate into the main episodes

The battling/catching looks so much better and smoother than ever before.

Such a huge upgrade from Sword and Shield. If they steadily improve the technical side of things and include VO with future installments, I basically have no complaints left.

I feel it's difficult to be skeptical of these reviews "just because it's Pokémon" since this isn't the same R/B/G/Y-SWSH experience; it's new for everyone. Even with some of these calling out technical shortcomings, it seems most are having fun, and that's very encouraging.

bK7Es8L.png

OH7TVMC.png

Typical Game Freak, 8 points up, 2 points down

looks like its fucking happening.....my prediction for 2022 was that Sonic. Pokemon and Kirby were getting 80+ on MC/OP.
Ima need to wait and see about Sonic hahaha

But I'm fully confident in Pokemon and especially Kirby, damn that game looks good

So excited to see this is reviewing well. Can't wait to pick it up, sadly Brilliant Diamond did nothing for me for the first time in the series and so I'm extra looking forward to this!

Color me excited for a new Pokémon. I have been off that pokemon train since Sun and Moon. I'm definitely picking this up on Friday.

I am not one to invalidate opinion but when you see low 80s+ for a game then you see a 50, you got to question why that outlier is way off. I could understand 60s for sure, but 50s is like the game has a game breaking bug.

lol, if 50s is game is broken and doesn't work, what's the bottom half of the scale even for.

At a functioning media outlet, 5/10 doesn't mean anything of the sort.

No technical analysis? It really looks in the trailers that the game is pretty much 1080p
Pretty sure I read that it's largely dynamic 720-900p in docked mode, with it reaching 1080p in towns or something. Lower undocked obviously. Not sure how accurate all of that was though, but I'm sure digital foundry will do an analysis on this one soon.

Ayo are people reverse review bombing Arceus? I searched Metacritic 'Pokemon' by score and it was coming up with Arceus at the top with 86 around 10:15am, followed by Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon at 84. Now over an hour later it has Pokemon Y at 88, HGSS at 87, along with BW, SM and X at 87 too, and then Arceus.

Did the search filter omit them at first, or were these recent user reviews?

Ayo are people reverse review bombing Arceus? I searched Metacritic 'Pokemon' by score and it was coming up with Arceus at the top with 86 around 10:15am, followed by Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon at 84. Now over an hour later it has Pokemon Y at 88, HGSS at 87, along with BW, SM and X at 87 too, and then Arceus.

Did the search filter omit them at first, or were these recent user reviews?
I thought you couldn't submit user reviews until the game was released? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen. People are irrationally hating on this game on a bunch of subreddits from what I've seen.

I thought you couldn't submit user reviews until the game was released? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if this does happen. People are irrationally hating on this game on a bunch of subreddits from what I've seen.
Yeah, you're right. I thought those people were targetting the older games to boost up numbers that inevitably push down Arceus, but it seems I'm just accusatory; most recent reviews are from November 2021 for the older stuff on DS and 3DS.

Either way, it's still ranked highly among the best of the mainline stuff so I'm excited to dive into this game on the weekend. Gotta love having a boss as big a nerd who's willing to close up the office early on Friday so he can also jump in on Arceus ahaha

Back
Top Bottom