• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Pokémon Legends: Arceus | Review Thread

I think there are lot of assumption being made here about people criticising the graphics.

I don't think the graphics are shit, it just looks lacklustre. Gameplay will obviously always come first and there's less complaints to be made there than the graphics.

However, what does interfere with my enjoyment is the lack of visual variety which is both a gameplay issue and partially an extension of the graphics issue, I'm plenty of hours in the game and every area is looking very similar. That's not good for a game relying on exploration.

I'll repeat myself—what you're referring to is your opinion, which I have no qualms with and I'm not arguing against. I personally feel like the visual variety is just fine, and isn't an issue I would have ever considered. But I'm not going to tell people they should agree with me.

But I think what you're saying has nothing to do with my point. Read the quotes in my post you were responding to—I'm referring to the constant insistance that graphical fidelity makes the game "more bad". And how it clearly isn't a problem almost all reviewers who viewed the game positively.

But for some reason, it's a huge deal to Online Gamers whose eyes start to bleed once a game goes sub-60 fps.

Alpha pokemon are the Lynels and Guardians of PLA.

Gameplay and graphics are good enough to still let the game be fun, and this game is the most fun pokemon game I think I’ve ever played.

Early game question: Are you not able to catch the first Alpha Pokemon you fight in the main mission? I got it down to a slither of health and threw like ten balls at it and couldn't catch it while it slowly wiped my team.
Just bad luck, I got it in two regular pokeballs at yellow health

I think this game reviewing so high despite its graphics( the pop-in is infernal lol) and how much it trimed elements from the past mainline games, to get off the ground, is a pretty good sign for the next generation. This formula with a full fledged world(towns, dungeons) will be awesome.

I'll repeat myself—what you're referring to is your opinion, which I have no qualms with and I'm not arguing against. I personally feel like the visual variety is just fine, and isn't an issue I would have ever considered. But I'm not going to tell people they should agree with me.

But I think what you're saying has nothing to do with my point. Read the quotes in my post you were responding to—I'm referring to the constant insistance that graphical fidelity makes the game "more bad". And how it clearly isn't a problem almost all reviewers who viewed the game positively.

But for some reason, it's a huge deal to Online Gamers whose eyes start to bleed once a game goes sub-60 fps.

I honestly didn't interpret most of those quotes in the same way.

But I agree with you about res and fps, if those aren't super high a game doesn't become bad.
The longer the game is out, the better people will be able to pinpoint their criticism.

LadiesGamers.com (two thumbs up):
Certain elements of Arceus remind me of action games such as Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Monster Hunter, but with the battle, trade, and collection of previous games still intact. Pokémon Legends: Arceus has undergone significant changes, ultimately making the game better for it. After having played all the previous Pokémon games in the series, I can say I love it, give it a go, and you might love it too!

Gamersky (8.8/10, review in Chinese):
Generally speaking, the Pokemon Legends: Arceus is a work with outstanding plot and depth, excellent open world design and interesting new battle mode. Although there are many deficiencies in explicit aspects, it still creates the most ideal form of Pokemon world in my mind, and thus becomes the best series of Pokemon works in five years, worthy of the suffix of "Arceus" in the name.

TierraGamer (8.8/10, review in Spanish):
Pokemon Legends: Arceus refreshes the Pokemon formula, it's completely different setting and original quests hook you from the beginning. Nevertheless, it also shares the franchise's best and worst attributes. Yes, it isn't a perfect game, but it aspires to offer something more for the Pokemon fans out there.

But Why Tho? (7.5/10):
Long-time fans of the Pokémon franchise should be very excited about the future of the Pokémon games, even if not everything in Pokémon Legends: Arceus is a home run. Despite the flaws, I really enjoyed my time and can’t wait to see what comes next.

I've been playing Pokémon Legends: Arceus over the weekend and I changed my mind about the graphics. It looks fine. Textures are pretty terrible but the art style is very solid, and I haven't noticed any major drops while playing (mostly handheld).

Yeah, it's refreshing. I didn't love Sword and Shield, but the negativity was way too much. I stopped reading threads not because I don't like "the truth", but because it really is tiring to read people moan and be negative non stop.

I actually enjoyed SWSH a great deal and put quite a bit of hours into it. Outside of the wild area, it looked nice. The towns were really cool looking.

My biggest issue with SWSH was the last 1/4 of the game. It became smaller and felt very passive and like they wanted to wrap it up.

I should play the DLC.

I actually enjoyed SWSH a great deal and put quite a bit of hours into it. Outside of the wild area, it looked nice. The towns were really cool looking.

My biggest issue with SWSH was the last 1/4 of the game. It became smaller and felt very passive and like they wanted to wrap it up.

I should play the DLC.
The towns were pretty but lack any sort of meaningful interactivity. They learned a lot between SS and Legends

The towns were pretty but lack any sort of meaningful interactivity. They learned a lot between SS and Legends
I would agree with that.

Not sure if it was learning a lot, or just whatever it was that they decided to not have them be as interactive, because the towns in Sun/Moon and X/Y were very interactive. Especially X/Y, which I found it leaned a bit too hard when in the big cities and found it more annoying than anything else. I think Sun/Moon was the perfect balance with the towns.

not a review per se, but a good take on the state of pokemon discourse generally: https://www.fanbyte.com/features/im-not-irrational-for-believing-pokemon-should-be-better/
Pokemon Legends: Arceus is a fantastic foundation for future games, but this has been the ongoing refrain for the series for five years. Every single time a new Pokemon game comes out with missing features from previous games, poor tech, or boiling itself down to its most basic beats, everyone suspects the next one will fix these problems. And Game Freak, without fail, will solve a lot of problems in addition to introducing a host of new ones.

And I want to talk about these things! I want to say that it’s actually kind of unacceptable to have distance loading where actual Pokemon move at two frames a second when less than 20 feet away. I want to talk about how the new systems are very good, but I don’t think the new turn order system is very well thought-out. I want to say talk about how it sucks that there’s no dungeons or really anything of note to explore beyond the 100th Paras seeing you from across the map. But there’s very little room for these discussions between the extremes of everyone screaming “Pokemon!” either angrily or happily.

boiling down to most basic beats is what makes arceus so good imo 🙏
the beats in Arceus are brand new, though. I think in this context he's talking about like, the Let's Go games. Arceus is great foundation, and I truly hope GF can build a great game on top of it

Back
Top Bottom