• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokemon Shining Pearl |ST| SINNOH CONFIRMED !

Who will you start the journey with ?

• Piplup

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters
I haven't follow the thread, but it amazes me how smarter the npcs are. Berry that weakens attacks, more healing and withdrawing their Pokemon. It really is a nice surprise.
Yeah, I really like the changes that they made to the bosses in particular. They made Cynthia as hard as I remembered her being, and I loved losing like a dozen times to her.

Yeah, I really like the changes that they made to the bosses in particular. They made Cynthia as hard as I remembered her being, and I loved losing like a dozen times to her.
I haven't gotten to the League yet. Just fought Cyrus and his commanders on MT Coronet. Gave me quite a challenge.

Excited for the League though.

So I guess the trophy garden was previously broken before the latest patch? I had to wait until the next day to catch what the rich guy said was the daily Pokemon until today where it showed up for once. Glad they're fixing things besides continuously patching the cloning glitch.

So I guess the trophy garden was previously broken before the latest patch? I had to wait until the next day to catch what the rich guy said was the daily Pokemon until today where it showed up for once. Glad they're fixing things besides continuously patching the cloning glitch.
I haven't read anything to suggest it was broken. It's possible the daily spawns had lower probabilities than they should have (don't remember how it was originally, and there are other places in the game that probabilities are arguably incorrect), but they definitely appeared.

I haven't read anything to suggest it was broken. It's possible the daily spawns had lower probabilities than they should have (don't remember how it was originally, and there are other places in the game that probabilities are arguably incorrect), but they definitely appeared.
I would search the garden for hours and not got the daily Pokemon I would instead get the previous day's Pokemon but the next morning it would be the Pokemon that was supposedly the day before. Now it appears the day it is supposed to after the latest patch. And it was like this every day for me.

I would search the garden for hours and not got the daily Pokemon I would instead get the previous day's Pokemon but the next morning it would be the Pokemon that was supposedly the day before. Now it appears the day it is supposed to after the latest patch. And it was like this every day for me.
I had a few days like that towards the beginning, but I eventually started finding them with no patch in between. You were probably just unlucky.

I think I have encountered a bug.
So, I have seen all 150 Pokemon and went to talk to Rowan and nothing. I need to get the Nat Dex

I think I have encountered a bug.
So, I have seen all 150 Pokemon and went to talk to Rowan and nothing. I need to get the Nat Dex
Do you only have 150? There is a 151. Go to the mansion south of Hearthrome and check the book in the room with Backlot, the owner.

I got Pearl for Christmas and I've actually been really enjoying it! I still love the franchise, but recent games have been such a slog to finish if I even finish them. It might be nostalgia or it might be drive to finish before we get Legends, but I'm having a fun time revisiting Sinnoh. It's one of my favorite regions in the franchise. I'm especially having a good time branching out and trying different and unique choices for my team, I feel like so many people use the same 6 to 9 Sinnoh mons (for good reason since this gen gave us so many gems).

After having time to digest this game a bit, I think I've come to the overall conclusion that this is a bad remake of a good, but very flawed game. The game is good for largely the same reasons as the original was good (though the Grand Underground and Ramanas Park have some good ideas, even if the execution is not always great), but it's also bad for largely the same reasons the original was bad, plus several new ones as a result of the way it was remade.

BDSP bills itself as a very faithful remake, but many of the decisions on when to be faithful and when not to be are very weird, and often lead to the game being worse than it really needs to be. Platinum is very thoroughly ignored, including many of the fixes it made to Diamond and Pearl. Even most of the Platinum content that did make it in is in a pretty limited capacity. Aesthetically, the game doesn't do a great job at capturing the look of the originals, and some of the choices made are just kind of bad, like the chibi overworld models and the weirdly excessive depth of field at times. The return of consumable TMs continues to be one of the worst changes Gen 8 has made to the formula. Several changes to catching mechanics were haphazardly brought over which make catching legendaries a lot harder than it originally was. The difficulty curve was not well balanced for forced EXP Share, and is only saved at the end by the Elite 4 level spike being somewhat extreme originally. The status screen in battle is just inexplicably missing. I could keep going, but I think I've made my point.

The game also is just very buggy and not well polished, which hopefully patches will fix to some degree. In particular, the controls are just really bad across the board, to the point where it really gave me a new appreciation for how Game Freak generally does a pretty good job making sure the controls are functional and responsive. Some other (dis)honorable mentions include Pokémon getting inserted into boxes in the wrong spot, and the textboxes frequently managing to get on the wrong layer during Pokéradar chaining.

To try and be constructive, here's what I'd do differently to make Black and White remakes better:
  • First and foremost, ILCA (or whatever dev ends up working on them) needs to actually be given sufficient time and resources to get the job done. I don't think it's a controversial statement that they clearly didn't get that with BDSP.
  • Either stick to purely grid based movement or copy exactly how movement works in ORAS.
  • Consumable TMs need to go
  • Just generally don't arbitrarily roll back QoL changes that weren't in the original
  • It's really important that Reshiram and Zekrom get their original catch rates and not the lowered ORAS ones, since you're forced to catch them.
  • The overworld graphics should go for something closer to an HD-2D style, with 2D sprites in 3D environments.
  • There's quite a lot of Gen 5 that existed on the PGL which really needs to get incorporated into the games themselves this time.
  • The sequels shouldn't get left out. Combining them wouldn't work, but having them as a separate mode, DLC, or separate games would work
  • Actually fix the dumb unlock mechanics in B2W2
  • Touch support needs to come back in full force, and not just in remakes
  • Stop arbitrarily locking out Sylveon
  • If they're going to keep forcing EXP share on us, then they need to start actually balancing games around it

Back
Top Bottom