• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On! coming to Nintendo Switch (out now!)

The most exciting announcement by far. Never played, but hear amazing things.

One of Game Freak's best games. Spent way more time with this one than I could have ever imagined on 3DS. Ready to do the same on Switch.

This can be played with a Pro Controller, for anybody wondering.

EDIT: lmao I forgot how this game opens.

This looked interesting, and Balatro has me thinking about cards stuff already. Online multiplayer sounds fun for this.

These games are usually very fun, but I dont have too much time to play them now... I wish they do a demo tho.

Did the 3DS game have uniforms? I don't remember the game having uniforms. I didn't plan to make this my horse solitaire simulator over the more pocket-, touchscreen- and stylus-friendly version, but uniforms are swaying me...

The german translation keeps refering to the player as he, even if you select a girl jockey at the start. I assume that mistake is original to the localization and not in the english text?

Uhhhh...was the dialogue in this game ALWAYS this wild? The back and forth between you and the old trainer guy has given me whiplash multiple times already. The GF localization teams must have been given full freedom compared to Pokemon, holy lord this is hilarious and spit take inducing.

Had already put in 50 hours on the initial iPhone release. And have double dipped for this version. I looooooooooooove it!

I would buy it but that mouse cursor is distracting, a sign of a lazy port. I'll wait for a sale this time, my 3DS is still fine.

Uhhhh...was the dialogue in this game ALWAYS this wild? The back and forth between you and the old trainer guy has given me whiplash multiple times already. The GF localization teams must have been given full freedom compared to Pokemon, holy lord this is hilarious and spit take inducing.
I know. Funniest game I've played in a while.

The opening was always one of the most hilariously unhinged introductions to a video game ever. Worth playing the demo for it alone.

Some of the dialogue has changed since the 3DS release (the opening had the angel threaten to take away your gaming skills), but either way, yes, this game is unhinged. Jimmy's plotline is beautiful.

Tried the demo. The humor is great (I love GF's sass, wish they could be this unhinged always), but once I finally understood what is going on, I don't think the gameplay loop is that interesting. It's kinda the same thing over and over.

I don't think it's for me, but I'm happy for those who were waiting for this!

How does the demo work? Is it, like, the beginning of the game and you get to transfer your save data to the full game, or is it just its own thing? Still not sure if I want to get this or not. I got the original on 3DS but never got around to playing it, and I’m not exactly wanting to support a game based around such an abusive subject matter, but I hear it’s supposed to be a good game and it was Nintendo-published on 3DS so I’m torn…

How's the performance on Switch? I would hope it's actually smooth, as the Switch should have enough horsepower to handle this with peak stability.

Also you should in this case ALWAYS put the card before the horse.

I tried the demo and... I don't understand this game at all. I love the dialogue and the cute horses, but the tutorial did a terrible job explaining how to actually play the game. Introduced too many mechanics at once with no explanation of what they're for and how to put them together. Just four different sets of numbers going up and down on different corners of the screen with no clear connection.

Is this game just super grindy or what? I think I played for like 4-5 hours and just got one horse from Rank E to rank C and into retirement in that time. Now I have to start all over with another horse at Rank E before presumedly I can breed them. The first time around I was put into a lot of races where I had no chance to win anyway.

Is this game just super grindy or what? I think I played for like 4-5 hours and just got one horse from Rank E to rank C and into retirement in that time. Now I have to start all over with another horse at Rank E before presumedly I can breed them. The first time around I was put into a lot of races where I had no chance to win anyway.

I tried to find an overview of what's new in Ride On compared to the 3DS game, to help me decide whether to jump over, without much success. But one of the observations I found that the mobile port this version is itself a port of was made grindier. Necessary disclaimer here that those comments mostly refered to breeding, and of course I can't tell if balance adjustments have been made again for the console releases.

I tried to find an overview of what's new in Ride On compared to the 3DS game, to help me decide whether to jump over, without much success. But one of the observations I found that the mobile port this version is itself a port of was made grindier. Necessary disclaimer here that those comments mostly refered to breeding, and of course I can't tell if balance adjustments have been made again for the console releases.

I think the QR Code feature was also removed so there's no way to quickly get your hands on a good horse quickly.

I was also trying to understand this. I'm left wandering if I'm just better off playing the 3DS version, which I still have, but never played. Is Ride On! just grindier and with "3D" races?

The only problem I had with the original PCJ was how brutal the "lose 3 times and you're out" rule is. If you really screwed up, sure, but "you just came second by a nose so clearly this horse can't hack it anymore" strains belief a bit!

So given that history, I was definitely surprised when I managed to produce an unstoppable monster on just my second attempt. I think Maekawa genuinely just retired her to give everyone else a chance, because "age" wasn't slowing this beast down one bit.
QHRMEJi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom