• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation Playstation VR2 launches on February 22 2023 for $549, preorders open on November 15

Maybe you are mostly going to sell a VR headset to a specific crowd of enthusiast that won't care whether it costs three or five hundred or is even more likely to prefer the more expensive option as it implies better technology. At the same time I can't help feeling the original PSVR with its cheaper price point had a better chance of making the technology more mainstream.

Either way, I have no interest in VR. Even though I have tried VR and been very impressed by games like Superhot, I find the fact that it limits my perception extremely impractical and even somewhat unnerving.

Sony is starting to feel like Apple, increasingly targeting an audience that has the money to burn.
Apple has at least started to put out products that match the pricetag again in recent years. 2016-2019 was an... interesting time, especially for the Mac. Nowadays - yes, their 14"/16" MacBook Pros are expensive, but if I find I can save enough to spend ~2500 on a laptop, they're easily the ones I'd want. Meanwhile in iPhone land, they've introduced multiple models to back off their strategy of starting at $1K that they tried with the iPhone X. The 14 is still $100 more than the 8 launched at, but 6 years later that seems pretty normal.

I don't know enough of the current VR market to say whether this is a good deal relative to the market, I'm not trying to say it's not. But yes, they've absolutely just accepted that this won't be a mainstream product and priced it accordingly.

You can literally buy a Switch, an Xbox Series S, and a Quest for less than the price of a PS5 and a PSVR2. And that gets you 2 portable consoles, and a home console, and not being tied down to a single ecosystem. And you would still have money left over for a good amount of games.
The Series S is a poor low-budget option if you want to play higher-end games at or near their best in terms of looks and how they run, though. As is the Switch, barring Nintendo's own games since Nintendo is the only publisher who cares enough to optimize their games for their console.

If you're out here wanting to play higher-end games - like most people who are in Sony's ecosystem - that combination would be terrible for your purposes.

Sony is starting to feel like Apple, increasingly targeting an audience that has the money to burn.
i think they want to be the apple of gaming but i'm not sure how much they're succeeding at that.

I would never spend that amount of money on any add-on device, and I don’t care which console manufacturer released an add on at that price I would never support it. Kudos to the people that are willing to part away with that amount of money for an add-on thats not even backwards compatible.

I'll tell you what, there's one HELL of an opportunity at next e3 for Xbox to announce a link cable that hooks up Quest devices to the Series S and X with an API / UI that "just works". Plug it in and go.

They already announced that game pass is coming to Meta Quest (yeah, it's 2d cloud gaming in a 3d space, but still), so this feels like the natural extension of that partnership.

And then you have an in-built market of 15+ million Quest owners who might be interested in higher-spec gaming (good for Xbox), a whole bunch of Xbox owners suddenly considering a Quest (good for Meta) and Xbox fixes its competitive disadvantage against Sony regarding VR with minimal outlay / minimal risk.

And it would be cheaper to get into than a PS5 + PSVR2 combo, too (as there'll be plenty of cheap 2nd hand Quest 2's out there at $250 by next year). And more useful, as the Quest is still a standalone device. Me personally, as I already have both an XBX and Quest 2, I'd be sorted. (Obviously it would be considerably less high-end).

It feels like such a no-brainer that I'm wondering what possible reason they could have for NOT doing it...

Lack of BC stings, but by 2024 there will be a healthy amount of games and price will come down.

I do hope Astro Boy Rescue Mission gets a port with dual sense support and higher resolution. That game is a masterpiece and one of the few VR games that doesn’t make me feel nauteous.

definitely looks like it'll still be a while before preimum VR reaches a reasonable level for general consumers.
(as a reminder, the original consumer version of the Oculus Rift was also 599 us dollars.)

Yeah but you don’t buy a system for the tech, you buy it for the games. Seems to be lacking in that department at the moment.

No bc, not compatible with anything outside of ps5. 600 bucks

I can't imagine developers are going to be tripping over themselves to make games for this.

Were folks expecting Sony to come in with a $300 price point for this thing? It seems like a lot of people had unrealistic expectations for what tech like this costs.
As a display and controller, specs seem slightly better than Quest 2, which we ought to expect for something coming 2.5 years later. If it were just that, being priced $50 over the more expensive Quest 2 option might seem reasonable. But that would be a PSVR2 with the capability to run some things independently, which this is not.

I was stocked for this but the lack of software really kills it. It’s also hella tricky to justify it given we don’t know how Sony will support this. For all we know, they may Vita this

I brought up the Quest Pro because tech and spec wise, the two are comparable. They have similar resolutions, similar screens, both feature eye tracking and foveated rendering. And when you add a PS5 in to the mix, the price of PSVR2 is ranges from $950 to $1100 depending on whether you get a digital or disc console and your region. That’s still $400 cheaper than the Quest Pro, and not a ton more than PSVR1 cost when you add in a PS4 Pro.

I don't think they are compareable. Quest Pro is targeting the AR market first and has appropriate tech for that and its a standalone headset.

Anyway Quest Pro is targeting only the business market. So its superfluous to compare these headsets anyway.

PSVR2 targeting market is ... hard to say. It will surely flop and will end Sonys VR efforts. PSVR2 is very expensive, tethered (thats like ancient VR), needs expensive hardware and has few games. Its just not interesting, even for VR enthusiasts.

Preorder secured! In for the Horizon bundle and a charging dock. I'm excited!!

Now we know that there's a price range and not every game costs $60 to $70.

Back
Top Bottom