• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation Playstation VR2 launches on February 22 2023 for $549, preorders open on November 15

Bokuringo

Koopa
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

• PlayStation VR2
    • $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Includes PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones

More images and specifications: Playstation Blog

1667395320740.jpeg

Not surprised at that price at all. Honestly surprised it’s as low as it is since I thought they said they want to compete with Meta and Sony is increasingly tapping into their “premium brand” legacy with the PS5.

A shame they couldn't get Kaz Hirai back from retirement (or whatever he's doing right now) to announce this!

I know I expected this price or there abouts. But I can not stop laughing at the idea that I need to pay 1150 euro to play Playstations VR games. It's just not going to happen.

Not sure what they expect to market to do with this one. It's definitely not for the mass market.

I know I expected this price or there abouts. But I can not stop laughing at the idea that I need to pay 1150 euro to play Playstations VR games. It's just not going to happen.

Not sure what they expect to market to do with this one. It's definitely not for the mass market.

Same sentiment. It's a good price point for the tech you're getting(VR with OLED should look real good), but looking at the whole package, you're better off saving for a holiday or nice vacation.

The price is the price - bit rich for me but not too egregious compared to the VR market even with having to buy the console as well.

The bigger problem they face is a lack of anything that interesting looking in the launch line-up. Especially without backwards compatibility, that launch window line-up is almost make or break and looking at their most recent blog post I think it's leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one here who's hyped for psvr2. I think Horizon is more than enough of a system-seller imo. But I guess that's just me. Day one!

they should have announced some killer games alongside the price. what has been announced so far probably doesn't justify a 550/600 dollar/euro purchase for most people.

Man, it's a lot for tethered VR when the untethered Quest 2 is pretty great as it is and cheaper, to boot.

I'll have to try before I buy on this one. If it really is a generational leap forward, I'll be in at any price. But there needs to be a PS5 slim released first. I'm not bringing that monstrosity they're currently selling into my home. Playstation's slim consoles are always great.

EDIT: Also, Deracine remaster when?

they should have announced some killer games alongside the price. what has been announced so far probably doesn't justify a 550/600 dollar/euro purchase for most people.
I guess they could potentially be getting the price out of the way and then announcing some heavy hitters later on? Bit of a long shot to be fair but it would at least let them shine more as they wouldn't be drowned out by price talk.

I guess they could potentially be getting the price out of the way and then announcing some heavy hitters later on? Bit of a long shot to be fair but it would at least let them shine more as they wouldn't be drowned out by price talk.

I'm not a marketing expert, but announcing a high price is the moment you want killer apps announcements to drown it. Imo.

I'm not a marketing expert, but announcing a high price is the moment you want killer apps announcements to drown it. Imo.
Yeah, absolutely fair point. Just a stray thought.

I don't think we'll see anything extra announced anyway as Horizon is presumably the heavy hitter and that was announced a while ago and unfortunately that doesn't interest me one bit.

love that you could get a switch for each eyeball and a pro controller for each finger at that combined price

Was considering but price and launch lineup made the decision a lot easier to wait for incoming Switch reincarnation as next hardware outlay.

The lack of backwards compatibility makes this an even tougher sell, imo. I didn't think it would matter, but now that I'm actually considering the purchase, it does.

Take a VR enthusiast like me. I've got a PSVR with a library of games. I've now got a Quest 2 with a bunch of games that has replaced the PSVR.

Now, if the PSVR 2 would let me access my previous catalogue of games at better resolutions / with better controllers, that's very appealing. But as it is, I have to buy a PS5 and PSVR 2 at a cost of over $1,000 just to start over from scratch - all while moving back to tethered VR. It also means that whatever's there at launch... is all there is.

On the other hand, if I stick with the Quest ecosystem, I'm sticking with untethered VR from a company clearly willing to spend whatever it takes to support it, and I feel sure that my library of games will carry over from device to device. I also won't have to buy expensive consoles to support it every upgrade - I'm not going to get stuck with a $1,000+ hit like I am to access PSVR 2.

I've been waiting for PSVR 2 for a long time, but now that it's here, I feel like I can wait and see a little longer.

If you look at the Meta Quest Pro, which just launched at $1500 and has similar tech and specs to the PSVR2, it makes PSVR2 seem like a smoking deal. Also consider that PSVR1 not only required a console, but also the camera and two Move controllers which weren't included in the base bundle at launch. The price for PSVR1 and PSVR2 are actually more comparable than it appears at first. $500 for the complete bundle of PSVR, controllers and camera vs $550 for PSVR2, controllers and headphones.

Last edited:
That's probably what a launch variant of Drake will cost at launch too (if there are more than one).

Get prepared 😢

The mad lads actually priced it more than the PS5. Amazing.

Outside of Horizon and Pistol Whip there’s nothing really for me on the system so far. I’m hoping that Meta getting the beat saber devs doesn’t mean the game isn’t coming to PSVR 2.

This much with no backwards compatibility and no PC support is shocking honestly. Hope it doesn't work out for them

More than $500 without many compelling announcements? The PS3 is back, baby!

In about 30 years, people will say "The launch price was too high, in todays money it comes to about 3000 dollars".
But yeah, I think this is a huge risk for Sony to say the least. You better have once in a lifetime killer app games or I think this add-on is going to not amount to much.

If you look at the Meta Quest Pro, which just launched at $1500 and has similar tech and specs to the PSVR2, it makes PSVR2 seem like a smoking deal. Also consider that PSVR1 not only required a console, but also the camera and two Move controllers which weren't included in the base bundle at launch. The price for PSVR1 and PSVR2 are actually more comparable than it appears at first. $500 for the complete bundle of PSVR, controllers and camera vs $550 for PSVR2, controllers and headphones.
Oh for sure. I’m sure it’s reasonable given the tech inside it, but it’s not going to encourage widespread adoption without a killer app, £530 is a big ask for a system add-on right now. That leaves it as aiming at the audience that are already all-in on VR. Which is fair enough- I guess it’s just not there yet at the right price for a mass push, until they’ve got the confidence in it to launch a console with it. Which I’m not sure will happen for a very long time. Interesting though, I’ll read the reviews and see what the people who’ve followed VR so far make of it. I’m just a curious onlooker for the moment :)

I thought it was bad when Quest 2 increased the prices by a hundo to the 400-500 range, but here's PSVR2 to help make that seem more reasonable in comparison.
If you look at the Meta Quest Pro, which just launched at $1500 and has similar tech and specs to the PSVR2, it makes PSVR2 seem like a smoking deal.
But Quest Pro is also a device that does not scream "I should cost three times as much as Quest 2" for any reason beyond they're trying to target businesses willing to waste more money.

I get the feeling that people aren't going to acknowledge the inflation-era pricing of tech devices until the next Switch is $400 or more.

Things that have already released are going up in price. (Ps5, Quest 2). Add 20% to everything you would have expected a year ago and you'll be closer to reality.

In this situation, $550 is fine. Comparable to the full kit of the first PSVR. The question is with the launch library.

this shouldn't be compared to quest pro. that's a standalone headset, not something that requires another 550 dollar device to turn on. it is still ridiculously overpriced tho, but it's not something made for people to buy to play games. its [non-existent] target audience is businesses willing to waste money, as @JoshuaJSlone said.

this shouldn't be compared to quest pro. that's a standalone headset, not something that requires another 550 dollar device to turn on. it is still ridiculously overpriced tho, but it's not something made for people to buy to play games. its [non-existent] target audience is businesses willing to waste money, as @JoshuaJSlone said.
I brought up the Quest Pro because tech and spec wise, the two are comparable. They have similar resolutions, similar screens, both feature eye tracking and foveated rendering. And when you add a PS5 in to the mix, the price of PSVR2 is ranges from $950 to $1100 depending on whether you get a digital or disc console and your region. That’s still $400 cheaper than the Quest Pro, and not a ton more than PSVR1 cost when you add in a PS4 Pro.

In this situation, $550 is fine. Comparable to the full kit of the first PSVR.
If it's comparable to the situation of the first PSVR, the problem is the rest of the industry hasn't stayed at that place. In 2016, PSVR was launching against the then-$600 Oculus Rift, also a tethered non-standalone device. Now it's launching against a $400-500 Quest 2 with standalone or wireless connection capabilities.

Lack of backwards compatibility + this price just shows that Sony continues to double down on doing anything and everything to secure my decision to leave Playstation behind this gen, and it's a shame. This'll be great for the enthusiasts I guess, but this is not where I'd hope we'd be with PSVR 6 years out from the original's launch.

Damn, it doesn't even have a pack-in?

Sony is starting to feel like Apple, increasingly targeting an audience that has the money to burn.
At least Apple offers a good bang for the buck, and it also does budget options too. I can get a high quality tablet from apple for like $350. You can get a cheap iPhone with the SR. Their Macbook Air line is also very good for what you get too.

Sony doesn't really entertain any budget options at all. It's just high price over high price.

Sony is starting to feel like Apple, increasingly targeting an audience that has the money to burn.
I think it's a valid approach, and honestly, it works for me: They have the studios that do the high-end, gorgeous, story-focused SP games that I crave, and I have no problem throwing money at them for that because I am lucky enough to have the money to do so.

It's just a different time than the PS3 era when they had the same approach and exact same audience as Microsoft, so they'll get a different, and likely more favorable, result in this approach this time around.

Were folks expecting Sony to come in with a $300 price point for this thing? It seems like a lot of people had unrealistic expectations for what tech like this costs.
No, but it's still a bad deal. I think Sony aiming for the rich man specs on a closed ecosystem VR set up with questionable support and then having to charge rich man prices for it seems like a kind of bad way to go anyways. Even with that being said I didn't think it would go over the $500 mark, and it would at least come with some kind of pack in or way to get into the library cheaper.

I understand the argument for the tech specs and pricing somewhat lining up, but it's still a really hard sell for what it is considering I also have to keep investing into the PS5 ecosystem on top of it compared to a much more useful and interesting headset I can plug into other devices.

Even if I agree to an extent and I don't think focusing on that market is better or worse than offering more affordable tech, at least Apple offers, most of the time, high quality manufacturing with their hardware. Sony's recent record is whatever.

However, there are way worse offender in the tech world in this regard (Dr.Dre cough cough).

the issue isn't just the price, it's also the lineup. For $550 I want way more high quality content available to buy. I have zero faith that Sony will deliver that based upon how PSVR went.

No, but it's still a bad deal. I think Sony aiming for the rich man specs on a closed ecosystem VR set up with questionable support and then having to charge rich man prices for it seems like a kind of bad way to go anyways. Even with that being said I didn't think it would go over the $500 mark, and it would at least come with some kind of pack in or way to get into the library cheaper.

I understand the argument for the tech specs and pricing somewhat lining up, but it's still a really hard sell for what it is considering I also have to keep investing into the PS5 ecosystem on top of it compared to a much more useful and interesting headset I can plug into other devices.
Rich man prices are $1000+, IMO, not $549.

Combine that with the cost of everything being up now, and you're going to get a price probably fifty dollars higher than previously planned and no pack-in. But I still don't think it'll matter to the people who are firmly in the Sony ecosystem and interested in VR.

It's sort of like how PS+ subs dropped, but revenues are up for Sony. I'm on Premium and will be going forward because I like the ecosystem and games get dropped all the time. I'm sure they'll trade some of the iffy subscribers for all the folks like me.

(On another note, I used to be firmly in the Xbox ecosystem after their first two consoles, and now I'm waiting for a Series X price drop so I can play a few of their games. So there is a delicate balance any company needs to keep, but Sony I think is on way firmer ground than Microsoft has ever been and that's why they can, like Nintendo, do some baffling things and get away with it. Not nearly as many as Nintendo can, but some.)

Were folks expecting Sony to come in with a $300 price point for this thing? It seems like a lot of people had unrealistic expectations for what tech like this costs.
Sometimes tech for the point of technology and driving prices up isn't a good thing. Sony could have easily scaled things back to make it more accessible for people.

I can buy an all in one VR System for $350 and no cords. It has a large library already, and a good amount of system seller titles. You can also connect it to a PC if you want beefier specs, and it does VR extremely well.

Meanwhile, the PS5 is $400-500(innother countries its even worse) and the VR System is $550. With a system with probably only 5-6 games at launch at best due to lack of backwards compatibility. It's a terrible value proposition. Even though the tech makes sense for the price, it doesn't make it any less of a terrible deal.

You can literally buy a Switch, an Xbox Series S, and a Quest for less than the price of a PS5 and a PSVR2. And that gets you 2 portable consoles, and a home console, and not being tied down to a single ecosystem. And you would still have money left over for a good amount of games.

Back
Top Bottom