• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Pilotwings 64 coming to NSO Expansion Pack on October 13

LOL at this trailer having 1000% more charm to it than the last several Directs combined.

N64 games have such damn good vibes tho, so I do get it.

I have not played this game since 1998, but just hearing the music takes me all the way back. NSO is very good actually.

Normally you can't increase the framerate of an N64 game without completely breaking the game's internal logic and having everything run way too fast, but this is the rare exception where logic was never tied to framerate originally. NERD haven't had to put in any specific work to make this happen either, it's just how the game was always designed to run originally.
Aside from resolution on N64 games, NSO emulation has been pretty no-frills "it is as it was" emulation, so it is at least a pleasant surprise they chose not to design it with the emulated processor limited to match the real one.

It also reminds me that other games like F-Zero X have trouble matching the frame rate the original had, for whatever reason.

I can't remember if 1080 Snowboarding ran at 60 fps but i sure as hell remember that Excite Bike 64 doesn't. Looking forward to the improvements in those games especially. oh and especially Goldeneye! looking for good improvements in that game as well

I bought an N64 at launch with Mario 64. I only ever rented this, never owned it. So this is the first time in 25+ years I’m returning to it. Wow, what a blast from the past. I played the first few events and it’s fun, but mostly the nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Just knocked out the beginner golds. Game is as fun as I remember but boy does a smooth 60fps make a world of differebce

so it is at least a pleasant surprise they chose not to design it with the emulated processor limited to match the real one.
Not too much of a surprise; accurate timings are more work.

The F-Zero issue remains a weird one. It's not slowing down like you'd expect an emulator with performance issues to do, it's skipping frames.

I'll give it a go later. You know, i think that there's some intention on allowing the game to run at 60 fps.

It's a launch game, it can run better than it did at the time, and most likely on testing they realized it was a happy accident and it was better to leave it this way.

I think it will happen the same with Goldeneye

F-Zero X has improved again, but likely won't inch it's way to acceptability before my Expansion Pack - that I got specifically for F-Zero - expires. Now Stutter Town and Regular Play are evenly divided.

Hope that NERD keeps working at it, because otherwise it seems like N64 NSO is in a good place now.

This framerate upgrade is very interesting indeed. A toggle to choose improvements like this would be better imo, but it wasn't expected.
Has anything changed on other games with this update? Regarding input lag for instance, or F-Zero X skipping frames

For those asking about anything else that was changed:

Note that this did NOT fix the F-Zero X framerate issues. They are just as frustratingly bad as before.

I remember being AWFUL at Pilotwings 64 as a kid, but I really enjoyed the 3DS one. Will be interesting to give it a try

Back
Top Bottom