• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Pikmin 4 Metacritic Prediction Thread

What will the final Metacritic score be for Pikmin 4?

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 94-99

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 90-94

Votes: 32 13.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 149 63.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 38 16.3%
  • 74-79

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 70-74

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
pikmin-4-key-art.jpg

Hey Fami!

It's time to predict what Pikmin 4's final Metacritic score will be.

For context, these are the scores of previous, mainline Pikmin games:
  • Pikmin 1 (GC) 89
  • Pikmin 2 (GC) 90
  • Pikmin 3 (WiiU) 87
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe (NSW) 85

We currently don't have a solid date for the review embargo, but I'm assuming it's either Wednesday the 19th or Thursday the 20th.

Preview snippets:

Comicbook.com:
From what I had the chance to play, Pikmin 4 seems like a positive step forward for the series. At its core, the game still feels like Pikmin, with the same basic gameplay that's been around since the first game in the series. However, new additions like Oatchi and Dandori Battles feel like they'll make the game well-worth checking out for those that have been eagerly awaiting this new entry. It's also pretty exciting that there's a lot Nintendo did not feature in our session, including the aforementioned character creation system, as well as the game's new Night Expeditions. [Hands-On Impressions]

Digital Trends:
While fans of the GameCube originals may find the new installment a little too streamlined at the expense of more precise strategy gameplay, Pikmin 4 feels like a smart way to retool the series for newcomers. It’s easier to control, there’s less pressure during missions, and there’s a more varied range of content included. During an introduction before the demo, a representative told the press on hand to ignore the 4 in the game’s title. Nintendo wants people to see this as a fresh start for the series that anyone can jump into. Based on what I’ve played, it looks like Pikmin 4 will accomplish exactly that, even if it doesn’t propel the series to sudden stardom. [Hands-On Impressions]

Eurogamer:
Pikmin 4 currently feels like a leap forward for the series, and one that's also not afraid to look back at the best of the franchise from the past. The return of Pikmin 2's caverns is an extremely welcome move, and they remain a challenging highlight despite the many other new features designed to ease players in. I'm still too early to have encountered Pikmin 4's other new variety - Glow Pikmin - which look like they'll come as part of the game's new Night Expeditions. There's also a whole other Challenge mode lying on the game's main menu I've not been able to try yet either.

GamesRadar:
Getting into Pikmin has always been a daunting task but after playing through the first few hours of the game, it feels more accessible than ever. I can't wait to explore more of Pikmin 4's world, collect even more of the little guys, and hopefully rescue Captain Olimar, and the rest of the Rescue Corp soon. [Hands-On Impressions]

Last edited:
The previous Pikmin games actually reviewed better than I expected, nice to see, hopefully the new one continues the tradition.

This is just a guess right, because there was certainly not too much tutorial + handholding in the demo
Yes..I just finished ToTk and jumped into the demo and all the chatting put me to sleep and pissed me off lol. Thankfully I turned the demo off came back few days later and skipped through the dialogs and enjoyed my time much more

I don’t see this cracking 90 (will be pleasantly surprised if it does) due to the genre and series history. So 89 at best.

Even if it its a 10/10 masterpiece I don't see it scoring above 90, (easy) games where you have to create your own fun by doing challenge runs or by chasing high scores are rarely the ones to get universal acclaim by reviewers but a subset of people rate them very highly.

Hmm,

Pikmin games tend to be quality products, so I'm guessing 87-92 range.

I have various thoughts on the game. First, the positives:
  • Night expeditions look great, and seem to be imply that you'll be back and forth between sap defence and expeditioning, which would be cool
  • Night time glow Pikmin look fun
  • Game looks beautiful
  • The antagonist looks like they could make for an interesting character
  • The ugprade system looks like the best addition, and is very welcome.
Second, the negatives:
  • Have they removed co-op, and the ability to multitask between multiple characters? That's hugely regressive if so.
  • Ice Pikmin look boring: just another 'big' Pikmin
  • Increasing the 100 Pikmin cap seems long overdue
  • I wish there was like a Pikmin mutiny system or something to add more fun and depth to the strategy.
  • Adding the 'u can pet the derg xD' just strikes me as indie-style pandering.
I'm torn on whether this looks better than 3 but eager to find out more.

Please refrain from antagonizing others. Aggressive bullet point quote replies do not make for good discussion. -xghost777, Josh5890, Derachi
  • Have they removed ... the ability to multitask between multiple characters? That's hugely regressive if so.
I doubt it, since when you complete a Go Here command, it says "<blank> arrived at the destination". I'm guessing that isn't to just accommodate for you and your dog

They're not going to be boring once we've seen all the different types of puzzles they're involved in

Why?

• I wish there was like a Pikmin mutiny system or something to add more fun and depth to the strategy.
Seems wildly unfun

Worst take on this site lol

I doubt it, since when you complete a Go Here command, it says "<blank> arrived at the destination". I'm guessing that isn't to just accommodate for you and your dog

They're not going to be boring once we've seen all the different types of puzzles they're involved in

Why?

Seems wildly unfun

Worst take on this site lol

Oh look its Bellydrum acting rationally in a pre-review thread again

Edit - Why haven't you criticized or disagreed with any of the positive things I said?

Hmm,

Pikmin games tend to be quality products, so I'm guessing 87-92 range.

I have various thoughts on the game. First, the positives:
  • Night expeditions look great, and seem to be imply that you'll be back and forth between sap defence and expeditioning, which would be cool
  • Night time glow Pikmin look fun
  • Game looks beautiful
  • The antagonist looks like they could make for an interesting character
  • The ugprade system looks like the best addition, and is very welcome.
Second, the negatives:
  • Have they removed co-op, and the ability to multitask between multiple characters? That's hugely regressive if so.
I'm torn on whether this looks better than 3 but eager to find out more.
Ice Pikmin allow for freezing of enemies and walking across water. Pikmin mutiny would be a horrible idea and would make me rage quit. And "indie-style pandering" for.... having a dog and a cute interaction with it? 🙄

Ice Pikmin allow for freezing of enemies and walking across water. Pikmin mutiny would be a horrible idea and would make me rage quit. And "indie-style pandering" for.... having a dog and a cute interaction with it? 🙄

Pikmin mutiny was clearly a joke, like, how would that even work? It'd be so stupid, albeit a pretty funny end-of-run condition.

Edit - Why haven't you criticized or disagreed with any of the positive things I said?

Because I agree with them lol.

Speaking of acting rationally in a pre-review thread again - weren't you the person that made up the conspiracy theory that I was trying to prepare the site for low TotK scores to help prevent a meltdown?

Also way to completely turn the conversation away from my responses and into an attack on me :)

Speaking of acting rationally in a pre-review thread again - weren't you the person that made up the conspiracy theory that I was trying to prepare the staff for low TotK scores to help prevent a meltdown?

Also way to completely turn the conversation away from my responses and into an attack on me :)
The reviews haven't even come out yet and we're already being toxic. C'mon y'all.

Speaking of acting rationally in a pre-review thread again - weren't you the person that made up the conspiracy theory that I was trying to prepare the staff for low TotK scores to help prevent a meltdown?

lol

And weren't you the guy that had a total meltdown when Nintendo were like 'hey guys, our marketing for TOTK was indeed bad and we understood why ppl had concerns! Thx!'

Of course, you'll disagree with the criticisms until Nintendo themselves come out and address them.

98 (ok, i honestly expect it to be mid 80ties, maybe 89, going by the demo and the expectations)

And with this one we will see, how much mainstream appeal pikmin really has, since its the first time a
new mainline entry comes out on a successful platform, with a solid marketing push.

Pikmin 1 and 2 wer GC, and 3 was Wii U, and Hey Pikmin! was a spin off.

85 to 89 feels like the right pick from those options. I'm expecting 87 to 91, leaning towards 89 or 90.

Basically I think it's gonna fall in that "solid reviews in a vacuum, but not quite high enough to be a lock for 'game of the year talk' in 2023" zone.

85 is my guess

Personally don't like what I hear about it being "streamlined", 3 was already too neutered in some aspects for my taste.

87-88 is my guess. It definitely looks designed as an entry level game in the Pikmin series so it may lose that challenge and be a bit too hand-holdy but I don't expect game critics to really call many games out on this.

88 seems like the safe choice these days for a high quality game from a good dev that isn't from a "critical darling" franchise.

Also, having just beaten Pikmin 1 and 2 again the fact that 2 is the highest rated one is a big surprise. It's the worst one by far. By a million miles. Had to force myself through it at times. Pikmin 1 and 3 I can barely put down.

Sometimes a sequel gets the delayed praise a revolutionary or misunderstood first game should have gotten. I've got to think that had something to do with it.

Somewhere in the 86-91 range. Really not sure where though. I could see it being like most acclaimed nicher Nintendo games getting a high 80's, but I could also see the reviewers liking it enough with respect to the franchise to give it a light 90.

Personally I'm preparing myself for it being my second least favorite in the series. Hope I'm wrong.

Also, having just beaten Pikmin 1 and 2 again the fact that 2 is the highest rated one is a disgrace. It's the worst one by far. By a million miles. Had to force myself through it at times. Pikmin 1 and 3 I can barely put down.
Facts. Pikmin 2 is so bad in so many ways. The standard Pikmin gameplay was somewhat improved compared to 1 with tighter controls, but it was ruined by the fact that you end up spending at least half of the game in the poorly designed dungeons, with some of the worst balancing in the series. Love the fact that it takes 30 hours of cock and ball torture to 100% the game :)

88 seems like the safe choice these days for a high quality game from a good dev that isn't from a "critical darling" franchise.

Also, having just beaten Pikmin 1 and 2 again the fact that 2 is the highest rated one is a big surprise. It's the worst one by far. By a million miles. Had to force myself through it at times. Pikmin 1 and 3 I can barely put down.

Sometimes a sequel gets the delayed praise a revolutionary or misunderstood first game should have gotten. I've got to think that had something to do with it.
I generally dislike when a series with exploration starts leaning more towards action but for whatever reason it works for me with pikmin, I like 2 the most.

I went with 74 - 79. Feeling spicy!

80s is more realistic. I wonder if the earlier games were given a little more encouragement for being new Nintendo IP's. The HD remasters got 80, which sounds right to me of how strong the appeal is here. Modern Lemmings.

No offense. I know plenty of people really like this franchise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom