• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons announced for Nintendo Switch and PC, coming February 27th (out now!)

mazi

picross pundit
Publisher Rainy Frog and developer Score Studios have announced Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons for Switch and PC (Steam). It will launch on February 27, 2024 with English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese language support.
About

The critically acclaimed Piczle series presents Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons; addictive nonogram logic-puzzles celebrating the beloved farm life game series.

Enjoy the bucolic charm of Story of Seasons while relaxing and exercising your brain with classic logic-puzzles. All your favorite villagers and bachelors, tools, and crops, animals and upgrades in nonogram form will provide you with countless hours of puzzling!

Key Features
  • No End of Nonograms – With 350 puzzles featuring a wealth of different Story of Seasons mainstays you’ll have a veritable pasture-full of puzzling pleasure!
  • Grow Your Farm – As you clear puzzles the seasons progress, your farm expands, livestock appears, and crops grow.
  • Bigger Together – Five unlockable collage puzzles celebrate Story of Seasons‘ festivals by combining dozens of puzzles into a bigger picture.
  • Play It Your Way – True to the Piczle series, Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons provides the most feature-rich and option-abundant experience available to cater the puzzling experience to your exact liking. From hiding away the timer to correcting your mistakes, from choosing the puzzles’ themes to managing how completed clues are marked off, you can play exactly how you want. There is no wrong way to play!
  • Explore the Almanac – Clearing specific puzzles will unlock entries in the in-game 100-plus page almanac that celebrates all your favorite characters and critters from the Story of Seasons games.
  • Detailed Statistics – Keep an eye on your progress with detailed statistics and achievements. Replay puzzles to improve your time, or to hone your skills without using helpful gameplay options.

Partnering with some off brand Picross is something I'd have rather expected from Harvest Moon
I’ve been playing Pixclz cross adventure and it’s a pretty fun little shakeup on the interactivity side. Their designs are a bit… homey but the gameplay is legit

Enough I’m considering Piczle Slide DX collection which is there main line which isn’t a standard nonogram but a sliding type numerical matching puzzle instead

Also they did a game that’s a set of game and watch clones XD.

Unexpected to be sure. Crazy how many Bokujou Monogatari games (and spinoffs) are on Switch now. Kind of interesting that this is specifically using "Story of Seasons" era games and not stretching back further than that, but maybe Marvelous would prefer XSEED get a chance to localize things like character names themselves.

Partnering with some off brand Picross is something I'd have rather expected from Harvest Moon

Isn't Nintendo weirdly stingy about it? I feel like not too long ago I heard Jupiter had trouble getting Nintendo to let them make more Picross games even though, like, it's their thing and has been since 1995.

Piczle Cross Adventure has decent puzzles, so why not, I’m in

since Jupiter/Nintendo apparently won’t/can’t feed my addiction any more

Isn't Nintendo weirdly stingy about it? I feel like not too long ago I heard Jupiter had trouble getting Nintendo to let them make more Picross games even though, like, it's their thing and has been since 1995.
Nintendo doesn’t seem to be super interested in approving the use of their IPs (which is generally the case with them for all third-party devs, anyway) to Jupiter for more Picross games, that’s it. Has nothing to do with non-Nintendo IP crossovers (they’ve made Kemono Friends, Lord of the Nazarick, SEGA, and Sanrio versions of Picross, after all), and even if Nintendo were to not allow them to use the Picross trademark for other crossovers, they could simply make a nonogram puzzle game without the Picross name, as they’ve done before with other titles like Pictlogica Final Fantasy and the upcoming Logiart Grimoire, and as this “Piczle Cross” knockoff does.

If anything, Nintendo is the opposite of stingy when it comes to Picross, really. They consistently allow Jupiter to use the Picross trademark despite the fact that Jupiter publishes the games themselves, not Nintendo, and Nintendo doesn’t seem to be involved in the development of the games at all. That’s extremely rare and the only other examples of that happening that I can think of off the top of my head are some of the Cruis’n games, and I guess the non-Nintendo ports of some co-owned (or previously co-owned) titles like Fatal Frame and The Wonderful 101.

if marvelous wanted a story of seasons nonogram game in collaboration with jupiter, they would have contacted them. if they were ok with the game being switch exclusive they'd even be allowed to call it "picross story of seasons", and if they wanted to release on PC as well they could have used another name. i think here the devs of the piczle series were the ones who approached marvelous.

Last edited:
Piczle Cross Adventure is currently $1.99 on the NA eShop (in fact all of the games in the Piczle series are heavily discounted at the moment) so I decided to pick it up. While not as polished as Jupiter's Picross titles it's still pretty solid and has a certain charm to it; I'm enjoying my time with the game. I think Story of Seasons is in good hands with Score Studios.

reviews + developer interview
touch arcade has an interview with the founder of the studio behind the piczle games (i was surprised to find out they're actually located in tokyo)

a few reviews for the game are out as well

LadiesGamers.com (two thumbs up):
There are two conditions for someone to enjoy Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons. First, you have to like nonogram puzzles. Second, it helps if you are a fan of Story of Seasons.If these conditions apply to you, as they do for me, you can’t get a better nonogram puzzle experience than in Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons may not be the greatest nonogram puzzler available on the Switch, but this is certainly another worthwhile and enjoyable entry in the genre-especially for fans who also love a good farm sim. This is ultimately little more than a nonogram puzzle pack themed after Story of Seasons, but really it doesn't need to be anything else, even if it would be interesting to see how farm sim gameplay elements could be more directly integrated into the gameplay. As long as you're not too bothered by a game experience that feels a little less polished than the Picross series, Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons is an easy recommendation to any puzzle enthusiasts out there.

WayTooManyGames (7.5/10):
The Story of Seasons branding just adds charm and some (unnecessary) crossover appeal to the collection of puzzles featured in Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons, as there aren’t many innovations in terms of gameplay. I am not going to complain about yet another collection of entertaining and thought-provoking puzzles which fit perfectly on a portable like the Switch, but I am not sure if this was the best way to celebrate the franchise’s history. Are there that many people who love Picross and farming simulators? Whatever the case, Piczle Cross: Story of Seasons might not be as robust or polished as the titles in the Picross S series, but it’s still a very entertaining collection of brain teasers. If you’re hungry for more Picross, don’t even think twice.

there's some bugs according to the nintendo life review, which i hope get fixed with updates. also it's a bit weird that they made a picross game in unreal engine, not sure how efficient or battery life friendly that is.

I found interesting they had more issues making it work in steam deck (more an issue of aspec ratios it seems).

there's some bugs according to the nintendo life review, which i hope get fixed with updates. also it's a bit weird that they made a picross game in unreal engine, not sure how efficient or battery life friendly that is.
It seems all the piczle games were made in unreal, so make sense they stick to what they have used

I like it a lot, I've been playing for two hours and I didn't feel it janky or anything (in the sense that it's not a poor's man jupiter copy), there are a lot of options including axis lock when you are painting blocks. I really like how the farm evolves once you start solving the puzzles and getting tools. Really the only "bad" thing is the gallery starts from when they changed the names of the series because natsume legal shennanigans, I would've like to see the previous entries art.

Also best secret option: it let you change the date format to anything not barbaric like the us date format. THis needs to be in any game

I like it a lot, I've been playing for two hours and I didn't feel it janky or anything (in the sense that it's not a poor's man jupiter copy), there are a lot of options including axis lock when you are painting blocks. I really like how the farm evolves once you start solving the puzzles and getting tools. Really the only "bad" thing is the gallery starts from when they changed the names of the series because natsume legal shennanigans, I would've like to see the previous entries art.

Also best secret option: it let you change the date format to anything not barbaric like the us date format. THis needs to be in any game
nice, thanks for the impressions. for me it'll remain in the wishlist for now, gonna finish S+, and by that time logiart grimoire will probably be out. but after that i'll check this out.

nice, thanks for the impressions. for me it'll remain in the wishlist for now, gonna finish S+, and by that time logiart grimoire will probably be out. but after that i'll check this out.
Another thing is that instead of giving you a medal for not using any assist option, it shows which assist options you used. So if you don't use any it just show completed, but if you use any it shows an icon next to it

Another thing is that instead of giving you a medal for not using any assist option, it shows which assist options you used. So if you don't use any it just show completed, but if you use any it shows an icon next to it
huh, interesting. i guess the effect is the same in the end.
another thing, the nintendolife review mentioned the cursor speed is low with no way to speed it up, do you agree with that?

another thing, the nintendolife review mentioned the cursor speed is low with no way to speed it up, do you agree with that?
I'm more of the slow type to navigate the puzzles, but I've done a 15x15 and it didn't bothered me, but I'll do a quick test later to compare the speed

So I had to test the speed and yes its slower in Story of season, but not that much. Honestly I wouldn't have noticed if you haven't mentioned this. Anyway I'm already in summer season

Back
Top Bottom