• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Picross S9 Announced for April 27th 2023, demo available April 20th

the game is considerably harder than S8, which is good news. just finished normal mode, and it took almost 11 hours. in S8, it took 7 hours.

done

photo1683295281tedzs.jpeg

This time I'm playing Mega first to unlock Clip Picross puzzles, just to change my routine XD

I find Mega more and more satisfying as time passes.
Mega is great! So many cool moments that come from the satisfying click of realising something you can only do because of the more complicated logic than a normal puzzle has.

I tend to do complete modes separated by the more monotonous or shorter ones. So something like Normal > Clip 1 > Extra 1 > Mega > Clip 2 > Extra 2 > Colour, and so on.

it's my favorite mode by far, i always keep it for the last.

i usually go normal > clip > color > extra > mega
My routine has always been: normal and clip together - mega - color - extra.

Doing mega as second has been a bit frustrating all this time, I must say. Because all clip mode puzzle had been already unlocked by playing normal and, additionally, repeating the same 150 puzzles too soon with that increase in difficulty.

Color mode is that relaxing mode I want before working on the extra beasts, which are the most satisfying for me, with the pictures finally revealing themselves in all their glory.

Okay, I’m completely stumped here and I’m not sure what I’m missing. It’s only a 10x10 puzzle, too! Can someone tell me what I’m overlooking here? Even after turning on navigation, I have no idea what the game expects me to be able to mark in the second column here… I’m sure it must be something obvious that I’m forgetting, but I’ve spent probably 30 minutes or so just staring at and restarting this puzzle to try to figure out what I’m missing or doing wrong with no success, lol.

iCqmaWM.jpg

(Also, I’m surprised we don’t have a dedicated Picross ST here…)

Okay, I’m completely stumped here and I’m not sure what I’m missing. It’s only a 10x10 puzzle, too! Can someone tell me what I’m overlooking here? Even after turning on navigation, I have no idea what the game expects me to be able to mark in the second column here… I’m sure it must be something obvious that I’m forgetting, but I’ve spent probably 30 minutes or so just staring at and restarting this puzzle to try to figure out what I’m missing or doing wrong with no success, lol.

iCqmaWM.jpg

In that second column, you can only make lines of one or two squares. This means that the square in row seven, column two must be crossed out. If the filled block was for the line of one, you couldn't start the line of two there. If it was instead for the line of two, then regardless of if it starts or ends the line, you would never have a filled square there. That should help with progress on row seven.

iCqmaWM.jpg

Column 2 Row 7 should have an X. That column is going to have a 1 and a 2, and the one space you have coloured in could be either, but in whatever case it is, the space above the existing X in that column cannot possibly be coloured in.

In that second column, you can only make lines of one or two squares. This means that the square in row seven, column two must be crossed out. If the filled block was for the line of one, you couldn't start the line of two there. If it was instead for the line of two, then regardless of if it starts or ends the line, you would never have a filled square there. That should help with progress on row seven.
Column 2 Row 7 should have an X. That column is going to have a 1 and a 2, and the one space you have coloured in could be either, but in whatever case it is, the space above the existing X in that column cannot possibly be coloured in.
I literally figured it out right as I heard the notifications for these two posts, lmao. XD But thank you!! Can’t believe I missed that, lol. To be fair I’ve not been playing Picross much lately, so I guess I’m just rusty! =p

love when a picross thread is bumped!
with picross s+ and logiart grimoire coming this year, i wonder what happens to s10.

Last edited:
I loved all the SX games, but bought the new more arcade one and it's too intense for my normal relaxed playing while listening to records. pls give me S10!

I wish we had one too because I need help with picking up some intermediate and advanced techniques as I am stumped on some S1 puzzles

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Picross S three days ago.
I'm enjoying the game a lot but I have one question.
Both the normal picross and mega puzzles suddenly got much harder after the first ~30 puzzles, is this similar for the other Picross S games? Are they of similar difficulty? I'm asking because I enjoyed the ones that were easier a bit more than the difficult large puzzles.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased Picross S three days ago.
I'm enjoying the game a lot but I have one question.
Both the normal picross and mega puzzles suddenly got much harder after the first ~30 puzzles, is this similar for the other Picross S games? Are they of similar difficulty? I'm asking because I enjoyed the ones that were easier a bit more than the difficult large puzzles.
there shouldn't be that big of a jump in difficulty after the first 30 puzzles, i think. in all the S games, the first 60 puzzles are 10x10. the big jump in difficulty comes after that when you get the 15x15 puzzles, and then the final 15 puzzles are going to be 20x15 which should be the hardest.

of course, even in 10x10 puzzles, there will be challenging ones that'll leave you stumped for a while. but as you play and get more experienced you'd find pretty much all 10x10 puzzles to be pretty easy.

I cannot believe it's like 9 months since a new Picross title and the one currently in development is just a collection of puzzles I've already played before. I guess Logiart Grimoire will come to Switch at some point but who knows when. I'm bummed Nintendo fumbled their relationship with Jupiter re: Picross over the last few years, I miss all the Nintendo-themed puzzles and I worry about what Jupiter does in the future. Here's to hoping for something surprising in 2024!

I cannot believe it's like 9 months since a new Picross title and the one currently in development is just a collection of puzzles I've already played before. I guess Logiart Grimoire will come to Switch at some point but who knows when. I'm bummed Nintendo fumbled their relationship with Jupiter re: Picross over the last few years, I miss all the Nintendo-themed puzzles and I worry about what Jupiter does in the future. Here's to hoping for something surprising in 2024!
It’s not that Nintendo has fumbled their relationship with Jupiter, it’s just that Nintendo seems to not have any interest publishing more Picross games featuring other Nintendo IPs, at least not at the moment. And even back on 3DS they only ever released them as Club Nintendo rewards, never as normal releases that you could just buy on the eShop, so it seems they’ve always had some kind of restrictions in place for those type of Picross games. Actually, the fact that Nintendo doesn’t release any software as My Nintendo rewards anymore on Switch could be the main reason why we haven’t gotten any more of those Nintendo Picross games.

Logiart is due to release on Steam in March and Switch in April.

it has been a long time since S9 but jupiter has been busy with logiart grimoire, and they're adding like 150+ new puzzles (and a lot of extra features) to it on top of what was in the early access version. after that they're releasing S+. beyond that, who knows. i kinda don't expect them to do S10. next year is the 30th anniversary of picross, and while nintendo has been hard to work with they mentioned wanting to do something to celebrate the anniversary. maybe they have something new in the works for 2025.

edit: the picross e collection will need a lot more work than one might expect. e1 and e3 don't have the micross mode, and prior to e6, normal and mega mode had different puzzle. in the collection all games are going to have 150 puzzles in normal and mega mode so they're gonna have to do a lot of work making mega versions of the normal puzzles in e1 to e5. they also need to localize e9.

Last edited:
the picross e collection will need a lot more work than one might expect. e1 and e3 don't have the micross mode, and prior to e6, normal and mega mode had different puzzle. in the collection all games are going to have 150 puzzles in normal and mega mode so they're gonna have to do a lot of work making mega versions of the normal puzzles in e1 to e5. they also need to localize e9.
Is this confirmed? I had hoped that they would be bringing the older games up to the standard of later ones, but I don't remember reading that it was going to happen.

Is this confirmed? I had hoped that they would be bringing the older games up to the standard of later ones, but I don't remember reading that it was going to happen.
it was mentioned here
Each pack will contain the 150 Picross and Mega Picross puzzles from their respective title, providing a pretty meaty collection for those who choose to buy each of them.

the micross thing isn't confirmed, but i expect them to add it to the games that don't have it since all the games are the same price and that'll be a good chunk of play time missing from e and e3 if it's not there

it was mentioned here

the micross thing isn't confirmed, but i expect them to add it to the games that don't have it since all the games are the same price and that'll be a good chunk of play time missing from e and e3 if it's not there
Thanks. Let's hope it's the best case scenario and we get all the puzzles possible.

Thanks. Let's hope it's the best case scenario and we get all the puzzles possible.
same, i want to spend a good few hundred hours in this thing, lol

on top of all the puzzles, there's a gift icon in the screenshot we've seen that's similar to the special puzzles section of the e games (extra puzzles unlocked by having the save files for past games). i think might add bonus puzzles for having the save files to the 9 S gamss.

F5ztr-hXAAAlZUw

Picross_e8.png

edit: you can also see in that screenshot that e1 on switch has 150 normal and 150 mega puzzles, unlike the original 3ds release

same, i want to spend a good few hundred hours in this thing, lol

on top of all the puzzles, there's a gift icon in the screenshot we've seen that's similar to the special puzzles section of the e games (extra puzzles unlocked by having the save files for past games). i think might add bonus puzzles for having the save files to the 9 S gamss.

F5ztr-hXAAAlZUw

Picross_e8.png

edit: you can also see in that screenshot that e1 on switch has 150 normal and 150 mega puzzles, unlike the original 3ds release
When is this going to release? I'm starving lol

When is this going to release? I'm starving lol
all we know is it's coming this year. their other game, logiart grimoire, is getting a full release on steam in march and coming to switch in april, so i'd expect S+ at least a few months after that.

Damn, I WANT micross on Switch. It's the only part of the 3DS picross games I really liked. Never liked the UI or feel of the e series. I like the S presentation way more but the lack of micross and them forcing that crappy mega mode in each game really them it for me. I pretty much 100% the normal puzzles then abandon it there as a result.

Damn, I WANT micross on Switch. It's the only part of the 3DS picross games I really liked. Never liked the UI or feel of the e series. I like the S presentation way more but the lack of micross and them forcing that crappy mega mode in each game really them it for me. I pretty much 100% the normal puzzles then abandon it there as a result.
they're adding mega to all the puzzles but you're still getting all the normal puzzles + normal versions of previously mega-only puzzles. as for micross, we don't know if it's being removed or not. i really doubt it tho.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played any of the Picross e games and I played them a lot less than I’ve played the Picross S games, but isn’t Micross basically just more or less the same thing as Clip Picross, just presented a bit differently? Wonder if they’ll rebrand it to Clip Picross in S+ to be consistent with the S games.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played any of the Picross e games and I played them a lot less than I’ve played the Picross S games, but isn’t Micross basically just more or less the same thing as Clip Picross, just presented a bit differently? Wonder if they’ll rebrand it to Clip Picross in S+ to be consistent with the S games.
yeah it's basically the same. the only difference is clip picross has puzzles of different sizes (5x5 to 20x15) that form a final image, in micross all the puzzles are 10x10 and they form a final 80x80 picture. the UI is also different, in micross as you're solving the small puzzles you can see on the upper screen how the final image is coming along. there's also the thematic difference of clip picross puzzles showing different points in famous fairy tale stories, while micross puzzles are pixelated versions of famous paintings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom