• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pete Hines is leaving Bethesda and retires

Bokuringo

Like Like
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

1697465511305.png

1697465883464.png

Last edited:
Man, I know people dont like him because he was really abrasive on social media, but he was part of the crew for a long time. Aside from Todd, he was probably the most well known name associated with Bethesda.

Wouldnt be suprsied if Todd decides to ride out into the sunset after Elder Scrolls 6 too. We're just in the age where everyone who made gaming what it is today (From all 3 publishers) are getting older and passing the torch to a new generation, and gaming is still a young enough medium to where this is the first time it's really going through such a generational shift in such a big way.

Man, I know people dont like him because he was really abrasive on social media, but he was part of the crew for a long time. Aside from Todd, he was probably the most well known name associated with Bethesda.

Wouldnt be suprsied if Todd decides to ride out into the sunset after Elder Scrolls 6 too. We're just in the age where everyone who made gaming what it is today (From all 3 publishers) are getting older and passing the torch to a new generation, and gaming is still a young enough medium to where this is the first time it's really going through such a generational shift in such a big way.
Agreed. It feels weird seeing all the people who made this industry and who we got used being no longer around.

I hope he enjoys his retirement, but I have to say the time of the announcement just after the ABK case closed is interesting.

Damn. Wish he would have stayed until TES6 cause that's certainly the end of an era.

Wonder how much longer Howard is going to stay around. By the time TES6 releases, Todd Howard will be around 60 years old already.

End of an era for Bethesda. Wish him all of good and a nice retirement!

That being said, I wouldn't discard him butting heads with MS/Xbox to be part of the decision to retire. From the leaked emails/FTC Docs, we know he wasn't happy about Bethesda games being exclusive to Xbox and about they being Day 1 on GP. The fact Xbox made so many concessions with ABK acquisition and let COD continue to be multiplatform while Bethesda games are exclusive probably led to many discussions between Bethesda and Xbox leadership. I don't doubt Todd will also leave in the future. Perhaps after ES6.

End of an era for Bethesda. Wish him all of good and a nice retirement!

That being said, I wouldn't discard him butting heads with MS/Xbox to be part of the decision to retire. From the leaked emails/FTC Docs, we know he wasn't happy about Bethesda games being exclusive to Xbox and about they being Day 1 on GP. The fact Xbox made so many concessions with ABK acquisition and let COD continue to be multiplatform while Bethesda games are exclusive probably led to many discussions between Bethesda and Xbox leadership. I don't doubt Todd will also leave in the future. Perhaps after ES6.
Given he's Bethesda's longtime head of publishing, I doubt his role will be hired for. Not when Microsoft can just say they're fully taking that over.

Another one is leaving.

Shen spent nearly 15 years at Bethesda, during which time he earned writing and design credits on Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout 76. He was the lead designer on the Fallout 4 DLC Far Harbor, which we said had "a great setting, a good story, and more dialogue-based solutions than the base game provides," and moved up to lead quest designer on the sci-fi RPG epic Starfield.

Didn't always agree with his messaging, but it sure will be a very different Bethesda without him. Dude's been there since shortly after Redguard released and was the marketing face of the company as it rocketed into being a major part of the industry by just creating the games they've always done. IIRC, he was also a big proponent for getting Morrowind onto the original XBOX, making the series way more accessible to people and being popular enough that it carried the weight to influence the 360's system specs to ensure it could run Oblivion well. Even if he wasn't exactly a creative, he definitely shaped a lot of the series and Bethesda as it is today.

Back
Top Bottom