• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 3 Reload |ST| Tart"Я"Us (Read OP before posting)

How does it compare to tears of the kingdom, because I beat that game in roughly 130 hours doing tons of side stuff
I have no idea, I won't touch that game with a 10 foot pole. But you can platinum the game in 70 to 75 hours. They added some additional choices of activities but overall persona is much more linear than something like the newer Zelda games.
I’ve been reading it’s “too true to the original”, so I’m just curious how many additions it has compared to the original
well, I guess you could say that it's too true to the original but I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. Tartarus did get a glow-up but Tartarus is Tartarus. I'm appreciating the linked episodes, the fresh coat of paint, the new music and lots of little tweaks here and there with the new ways to spend time and things like gardening. So less faithful to the original than SMRPG but overall pretty faithful.

So what sort of remake can we shelve Reload into? More like Super Mario RPG?
Best comparison I can see is something like Pokémon FRLG (minus the new islands). Facelift, some new additions and gameplay tweaks but overall is in line with the original game’s story beats and setup.

I really want to play this game (and persona 4/5) but the persona games are so long and I have so many games on the backlog. Should I just wait til the backlog clears up or what?
Really up to you. For me personally I need to set aside time for a Persona game or I’ll fall off. I need to say “okay, I’m only playing this until I beat it” and give it my all. When I get into it, I’m loving it, but I don’t find these games conducive to multitasking. So you’d have to make that decision first I think.

Best comparison I can see is something like Pokémon FRLG (minus the new islands). Facelift, some new additions and gameplay tweaks but overall is in line with the original game’s story beats and setup.
This is a nice comparison! Thanks for sharing~

Regardless of reviews and whatnot, I still plan on getting the game. I was gonna get the PS5 version, but since I don't see myself getting one, I'll buy the Switch 2 version (which hopefully comes, but with how Atlus is treating the Switch, I presume a definitive edition will come for it).

Okay the track that plays during Midterms is a jam. Also managed to up my academics literally the night before, which always feels great

Okay the track that plays during Midterms is a jam. Also managed to up my academics literally the night before, which always feels great

Right?? I was ready to hit fast forward like I started to do in 5, but that was weirdly a bop.

I am team "yeah, I was skeptical about the new music" but it's honestly all a win in my eyes. I don't mind the clarity in the vocals because now I can sing along anywhere I go ...

Right?? I was ready to hit fast forward like I started to do in 5, but that was weirdly a bop.

I am team "yeah, I was skeptical about the new music" but it's honestly all a win in my eyes. I don't mind the clarity in the vocals because now I can sing along anywhere I go ...
I'm still a little mixed on some of the music, although I think I'm coming around on most of it. I'm not really into rap/hip-hop but it's all really well done even if not quite my usual thing. I'll have to see where I rank the whole OST by the end!

Maybe it would have been better experienced in-game, but I just listened to Memories Of The City and I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed by the mix used in Reload. It's probably my favorite song in the original but the instrumentation just wasn't as good to me. I feel like in general the soundtrack would have been better if the remixes were more unique and distinct, than trying to emulate the feel of the original soundtrack. Would be less of an issue if they included the original OST as an option but...

I do like It's Going Down at least. Been bumping that a lot lately.

Minor early-mid confidant spoilers:

Wow you can straight-up tell Maiko that it’s probably her fault her parents are getting a divorce
if you are the single worst person on the entire planet

Atlus is 100% in on these leaks, similar to Nintendo and the leaker who has been spot on for every direct.

Didn't Atlus confirm this?
Atlus didn't but it was stated by an Atlus leaker who, thus far, has had a 100% track record with this.

I also want to point out that the game's opening does at least suggest a fair bit of content focusing on Aigis, so yeah there's no reason that The Answer isn't coming as a DLC.

If the Answer coming as DLC is correct, then I’d say this is 100% a good replacement for FES (hell, even without the Answer it is) but I’m still gonna encourage people to check out P3P as well.

I’ve never played the Answer so I’m curious if they will address people’s issues with the gameplay.

Atlus didn't but it was stated by an Atlus leaker who, thus far, has had a 100% track record with this.

I also want to point out that the game's opening does at least suggest a fair bit of content focusing on Aigis, so yeah there's no reason that The Answer isn't coming as a DLC.

Oh, thanks! I got it from this tweet. I thought it was an original Atlus communication xD

If the Answer coming as DLC is correct, then I’d say this is 100% a good replacement for FES (hell, even without the Answer it is) but I’m still gonna encourage people to check out P3P as well.
Guess this means the following:
  • Wanna replay Persona 3? Here's a remake!
  • Wanna re-experience the Answer? Here's the DLC for the remake?
  • femc? go play p3p on console

15 hours in, I'm really getting hooked now. I guess the best way I can describe the experience is that it's so immersive. The loop of 1. morning classes, 2. hang out with someone and expand a Social Link (after some serious choice paralysis) and then go to the dorm and chat with some of your friends and either 1. study/sing karaoke/have coffee or 2. explore Tartarus, and rinse and repeat, it works so well and really puts you in the shoes of the protagonist, which makes every friendship you forge feel so authentic, and the choices you make truly matters.

Right now, I'm investing a lot of time with the track team, I really like both the manager and my track buddy, and I find the small stories contained within their Social Links to be very endearing.

The main plot is starting to pick up steam too, and there's been some very striking scenes that pushes it forward.

I just had some events happen in early June and it feels like the game is finally actually starting :p. Which is kind of harsh, and not that the game hasn't been good and enjoyable so far! But the early game is slow and kind of empty. There's still the great Persona everyday-life vibe and game feel of trying to maximize your time and actions, but without almost any plot or much otherwise going on it doesn't hit as hard as even early P4, but especially early P5. I also find that the balance is way more skewed towards the social elements so far since the actual dungeon crawling and combat is pretty few and far between.

I've heard multiple times over that P3 is heavily backloaded, though, so I'm looking forward to getting more into the good stuff going forward!

I've heard multiple times over that P3 is heavily backloaded, though, so I'm looking forward to getting more into the good stuff going forward!
It is. I don't want to hype it up too much, but it's the best story in a Persona game. Once things really get rolling, it turns into something else.

It's my first time playing Persona 3, and I'm loving it so far! I just finished the June full moon event. A lot of people are saying it gets better as it goes on, which is exciting, because I think it's already really good.

The May boss was a bit pain on the ass in Merciless, not sure if it had a weakness but bringing a Jack Frost with Garula make it. Not sure if the remaining time is different in each difficulty tho

I'm now waiting for Akihiko join the team before goes to Tartarus, I hope I can reach the blocks in 1 or 2 trips. Honestly after playing P5 is refreshing be able to do stuff at your time and decide when is better time to dungeon crawling.

I'm now waiting for Akihiko join the team before goes to Tartarus, I hope I can reach the blocks in 1 or 2 trips. Honestly after playing P5 is refreshing be able to do stuff at your time and decide when is better time to dungeon crawling.
P5 is a little more guided and has more stuff popping up that’s mandatory, but I don’t find it to be much different - I still just went to the dungeon at pretty much the first opportunity. I’ll take any excuse to get back to combat 😄.

Actually now that I think about it, is there anything in P3 that requires Tartarus progress? I just sort of assumed that you had to make it to the next “dead end” in Tartarus by the time the next big event happens but I don’t actually know if that’s the case.

Actually now that I think about it, is there anything in P3 that requires Tartarus progress? I
At least for the majority of the game, I don't think so. But that's just assuming it's the same as the original game. Still, if you are able to defeat the gatekeepers and make it at the end of the block it's very likely you are able to defeat the story boss of the game.

Why is Yuko so hard to rank up? Literally every other S Link I haven’t had to do anything extra to rank them up yet and she’s given me the “I don’t think our bond will grow stronger yet” twice before rank 5 already

Why is Yuko so hard to rank up? Literally every other S Link I haven’t had to do anything extra to rank them up yet and she’s given me the “I don’t think our bond will grow stronger yet” twice before rank 5 already
I think it's a combination of not having a lot of points available per rank (even with a matching Persona) and maybe having a slightly higher requirement to reach the next rank. It's annoying for sure, especially since she's not available that often.

Akihiko, why did you bench the main healer? It worked out because that boss was kind of a joke but still, bad strategy man.

It's my first time playing Persona 3, and I'm loving it so far! I just finished the June full moon event. A lot of people are saying it gets better as it goes on, which is exciting, because I think it's already really good.
Will really enjoy reading people's thoughts as they get closer to the end, is all I will say

Now that I’m near the end of June and there’s a bit more to do and more things to balance it’s clicking more - I’m really starting to feel that ‘just one more day’ classic Persona urge when I know I need to stop playing. You can also really see the origins of so many ideas they carried forward into P4 and P5 here.

Wait, they didn’t before??? So you literally couldn’t max social links without dating everyone?
Yeah.

And you can kinda see it here too honestly cause... The social links with the girls are all pretty much dates, and it's all about them slowly falling for you.

Yuko's social link has the kids all calling you her boyfriend. You hold hands with Chihiro at rank 5 or something. By rank 4, it's obvious that Fuuka wants to cook you food because she loves you. And so on.

This was (in)famously designed like that because Hoshino said that he didn't think that friendship between a guy and girl was possible lmfao.

Yeah.

And you can kinda see it here too honestly cause... The social links with the girls are all pretty much dates, and it's all about them slowly falling for you.

Yuko's social link has the kids all calling you her boyfriend. You hold hands with Chihiro at rank 5 or something. By rank 4, it's obvious that Fuuka wants to cook you food because she loves you. And so on.

This was (in)famously designed like that because Hoshino said that he didn't think that friendship between a guy and girl was possible lmfao.

As much as I enjoy being immersed in a school sim, I do have to say that this is an aggressively heteronormative one.

Excellent ST @Irene !

I refuse to believe it's been nearly 17 years since this first released in the US. (With the help of popping the OST on over the weekend for a short drive) I still remember that summer (August 2007) sitting in my first post-college apartment by myself and playing the original release on my PS2 as I was done with Twilight Princess and was waiting for Mario Galaxy to come out (and Final Fantasy XIII was still a long way off). I remember getting solely hyped for this purely based on a series of blog posts that Leigh Alexander had written about the state of JRPGs over on Destructoid and how Persona 3 was going to revitalize the genre.

As someone who's only exposure to the JRPG genre up to this point had been through Squaresoft and Nintendo let me tell you that Persona 3 was one hell of an event. I'd been somewhat aware of things like Nocturne through sites like RPGamer or references in TVTropes but this was my first foray into SMT. From the opening beats of the soundtrack to the first cutscene to seeing how narrative and mechanics intertwine with the social link system, to the first time the game ASKS YOU TO MAKE A DECISION THAT MATTERS, to combat requiring not just strategy to ensure you don't game over because you left the MC vulnerable to attack but also tactical decisions that need to be fed to your AI controlled teammates like the team leader / quarterback you're playing as, the whole experience was just a fundamental shock and rewrote my understanding of what was possible not just within the genre but games in general. Yea, I hadn't really dabbled with Visual Novels at this point and I admittedly still really haven't but I understand you can easily see where nu-Persona takes a lot of inspiration from

I admittedly never finished the vanilla version, having burned out on it about maybe 40 hours in. By that point I had joined RPGamer's forum and I remember the minor "will they? won't they?" localization drama over the FES release which had been announced a months earlier. This was also my first experience with Atlus games and it was super cool that all the first run orders had a small artbook and soundtrack sampler included (at no extra cost!) which was such a huge difference from other releases at the time and made you just feel like Atlus really wanted to give something extra for the tens of thousands of customers they had at the time. It's certainly a far cry from modern Persona where the average CE is this overstuffed box you get for like $200 and then have to find shelf space to put it on.

When the FES release finally arrived, I booted it up immediately, imported my save file and started over in a weird sorta NG+ sorta not playthrough since you start over with your social stats from vanilla but all the rest of your progress was reset to a fresh game. I don't know how much that helped specifically, but a combination of that with the QoL changes from FES ensured that I saw the game all the way to the end this time. I don't remember a lot of the beats aside from knowing in advance to book a day on the weekend for the final boss, and then the rite of passage that comes with that encounter IYKYK.

Also, I still think this game is the sole reason why I think all the RPGs in my backlog are these 100+ hour epics I'm afraid to start. But that's me.

The game is problematic in plenty of ways and I think at this point it's a hard recommendation. I think it's great that the current staff at P-Studio are returning to it and attempting to put their own spin on it. Probably because P6 is a long ways off and a remake (and let's be honest here, a P4 Remake probably won't be too far behind) is a safer and cheaper way to experiment with new mechanics for a franchise where I really can't imagine how much further they can push the design after Persona 5 really took the interlocking mechanics of P3/P4 to the next level. I'm also glad they're at least trying to sand down some of the rougher edges, both mechanically and narratively, but it certainly sounds like from some of the reactions here that this is still a ways off from being a title (or even series) which could be universally recommended to people without needing to add a host of disclaimers. Which is sad because the series really has some good heart even if it does exhibit some flashes of ugliness that can drag the whole experience down.

Anyways, I'm waiting to see what happens with 2024/2025 and if this game makes it to Nintendo hardware before I check it out (I have a PC but I'd rather play my JRPGs on a console).

For everyone playing this for the first time, you're still probably in for a good ride even if this game isn't going to feel nearly as fresh as it did back in 2006/2007. There truly wasn't anything else on the market like this at the time.

EDIT: Also having to wait until April for the general availability of the OST is going to be brutal

Last edited:
Check your email boxes if you signed up for the Persona newsletter to get those P3Reload stickers, as they just sent out a form asking for your shipping address!

So P3R AND LAD Infinite Wealth both sold over a million in less than a week? I honestly did not expect them to both do that well. Pretty great results for Sega/Atlus

So P3R AND LAD Infinite Wealth both sold over a million in less than a week? I honestly did not expect them to both do that well. Pretty great results for Sega/Atlus
P3R fastest selling Atlus game and Like a Dragon: IW was the fastest selling series game. Great stuff for Sega. Now to see how Granblue did.

Just got to July - bring on more exams and summer break!

That fight against Lovers was a pain in the ass - swinging from easy to near death very quickly. I feel like if not for Theurgies I might not have made it through. Although if I had had to try again and prep beforehand it would’ve been much more manageable.

I have a bad feeling that we’re about to enter the “internal team strife” arc, which I always hate. So hopefully either I’m wrong or it’s over quickly.

The new dorm room activities rule. Watching DVDs is so cosy.
I also love how much of it adds to the character's personalities also, it's genuinely really cool. I found myself really liking the TV watching with Akihiko, Yukari and Koromaru. Even if the Persona 3 cast wasn't my favorite prior to Reload, they are now. I absolutely adore this game man...

On an aside, after redoing the Moon Social Link... i honestly didn't hate it? It's not a great social link by any stretch, but I actually found myself liking the Rank 10 quite a bit and found it to justify a lot of the nonsense of the other scenes in the SL. I actually think it has a good message in spite of it's failings in other areas. Persona 3 Reload is seriously making me appreciate a lot of the strengths of the game's writing, especially with Mutatsu, Akinari and Tanaka. This game is so peak y'all have no idea.

The new dorm room activities rule. Watching DVDs is so cosy.
It also gives you some great perks I wasn't expecting. I finished watching the DVD series with Yukari and she gets An inherent ability that makes all healing spells cost half?! which seems ridiculously good

It also gives you some great perks I wasn't expecting. I finished watching the DVD series with Yukari and she gets An inherent ability that makes all healing spells cost half?! which seems ridiculously good
It actually gets even better than that. I did the dorm activities for Yukari for cooking and TV and she gets healing spells that cost a quarter. Media for 1 SP.
I think the Social Links lacking abilities like Persona 5 is more than made up for with this change with night activities, especially since the original game didn't really have much to do outside of Mutatsu, Tanaka and grinding up Social Stats (plus boosting Persona abilities in the endgame).

It actually gets even better than that. I did the dorm activities for Yukari for cooking and TV and she gets healing spells that cost a quarter. Media for 1 SP.
I think the Social Links lacking abilities like Persona 5 is more than made up for with this change with night activities, especially since the original game didn't really have much to do outside of Mutatsu, Tanaka and grinding up Social Stats (plus boosting Persona abilities in the endgame).
I'll definitely keep doing them! I also just had the disappointing realization that Rank 5 is not Max rank for your social stats, which came as a bit of a surprise. It makes needing max rank for certain social links far more difficult than I expected

I'll definitely keep doing them! I also just had the disappointing realization that Rank 5 is not Max rank for your social stats, which came as a bit of a surprise. It makes needing max rank for certain social links far more difficult than I expected
I believe the original game was 6 also. It's funny that it's such a high bar because, honestly, the max Social Stats Social links are honestly some of the weaker SLs. Still worth doing them though, especially for the High Priestess, Lovers and Empress Personas.

Pour one out for us who only does social links for the stories and still have little to no clue how persona fusing actually works.

I believe the original game was 6 also. It's funny that it's such a high bar because, honestly, the max Social Stats Social links are honestly some of the weaker SLs. Still worth doing them though, especially for the High Priestess, Lovers and Empress Personas.
It's a really interesting difference in this game that most of your early social links are random students and other people around town that you don't have much connection with, while your party social links (if they exist at all) come very late. At least I assume! I only have access to one of them at the moment and it requires more Courage than I currently have.

And regarding social links: They're pretty up and down so far, but I can appreciate them for being the first attempt at this kind of thing.

Pour one out for us who only does social links for the stories and still have little to no clue how persona fusing actually works.
You're assuming some of us actually know what we're doing with fusion, I just like the funny numbers to go up and also Megidolaon. The stories of the social links are great though. I've got mixed feelings on some of them in Persona 3 specifically, but the best ones are insanely good. Honestly, The Sun is the best SL in the entire series, and that's before mentioning The Stars, Tower, Devil, Temperance, Hierophant, Aeon, Chariot and Strength arcanas. I do think Persona 3 has some of the weaker ones though. Even if I've gotten more appreciation for it over time, The Moon... man is it rough. The Magician is also pretty bad.

I do think all of them have general benefits though. They all feel like different hang-out sessions instead of what feels like a single conversation over 10 days. I also like how a lot of them tie into the themes of change in Persona 3, and I'm happy that the game isn't really afraid to have unlikeable characters in their social links. Also, and this might be a bit controversial, but I think Persona 3's SLs actually tie into their arcana the most when compared to Persona 4 and 5. Reading into the individual interpretations of each character and how they tie to their arcana is really interesting and shows the care they put into the characters.

I think I like this game idk.

It's a really interesting difference in this game that most of your early social links are random students and other people around town that you don't have much connection with, while your party social links (if they exist at all) come very late. At least I assume! I only have access to one of them at the moment and it requires more Courage than I currently have.

And regarding social links: They're pretty up and down so far, but I can appreciate them for being the first attempt at this kind of thing.

It's a bit grating how much social stats is required for some Social Links. Like, I don't want to drink obscene amounts of coffee just to boost my charm enough to hang out with one girl, haha.

It's a bit grating how much social stats is required for some Social Links. Like, I don't want to drink obscene amounts of coffee just to boost my charm enough to hang out with one girl, haha.
I know! That's something they definitely got better about with later games - I feel like if you have so many ranks of social stats, you need to have actual rewards and gating for most ranks so that it feels good to unlock them. That happens sometimes in this game, but not as much as I would like. That's something that this game feels lacking in in general (rewards) , but again it's understandable being the first pass at this style. I love the little dopamine hits you get when you power something up, or unlock another rank of something, or improve or even unlock a new ability, so I loved how that kind of thing was all over P5R.

Back
Top Bottom