• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 3 Portable | Memento Mori

Nu26kyZ.gif

YES

I happened to get a special floor where every shadow was golden...the math was in my favour and I tagged a few lol. I haven't been able to get the advantage either, no matter how clear a back attack I get. They also seem to always get two turns, so you have to hope they idle both of them away. These bastards are more slippery than a metal slime!
Honestly, having played P4G and P5R, these are by far the flightiest rare shadows of the modern Persona games. Hell, P5Rs are almost too easy to bag by comparison.

Ran into a short but discouraging scene this weekend between the female MC and Yukari. She asks you what you think of Mitsuru, and one of the responses alludes to same-sex attraction. I chose that one, and Yukari responds with something like “Yikes, that’s not what I meant.” (Forgive the paraphrase.) Was kind of a bummer to see. It’s a shame the translations for re-releases like this one can’t be brushed up a little bit. I’m sure writing a line still based in misunderstanding but not outwardly critical of homosexuality would be…pretty easy.

Was having a regular battle and then suddenly Yukari’s "Please hit!" voice line was compressed as all hell, it was super jarring! I hope they fix stuff like that soon.

Okay, finished up the second block of Tartarus. Now to work on social links until the full moon. I also inadvertently did one of Elizabeth's fusion requests before the previous one, which was amusing.

Ran into a short but discouraging scene this weekend between the female MC and Yukari. She asks you what you think of Mitsuru, and one of the responses alludes to same-sex attraction. I chose that one, and Yukari responds with something like “Yikes, that’s not what I meant.” (Forgive the paraphrase.) Was kind of a bummer to see. It’s a shame the translations for re-releases like this one can’t be brushed up a little bit. I’m sure writing a line still based in misunderstanding but not outwardly critical of homosexuality would be…pretty easy.
Yeah, that left a bad taste in my mouth too and unlike the scenes in 5 (which are still obviously homophobic even after the localisation of Royal tried to rewrite them) this would have been a relatively easy fix.

Yeah, that left a bad taste in my mouth too and unlike the scenes in 5 (which are still obviously homophobic even after the localisation of Royal tried to rewrite them) this would have been a relatively easy fix.
Now I'm curious as to how the line is in the new FIGS localizations, since those were done for this release. The English localization is (as far as I know) the same one from 2011, and the team may have not had nearly as much leeway as the P5R localization team did. Or maybe they didn't see it as an issue at the time.

Third block just opened up. Even though Persona 3 essentially has one dungeon, I think the contrast between the regular Tartarus exploration and the unique, bite-sized full moon events is fantastic. That last one in particular was a really fun, horror-tinged event.

Have fallen a little behind on Elizabeth's requests but still seem to be making the ones with the best rewards. Think I may have missed one of the rescues for good though. Sorry buddy lol. Maxed my first social link (Tennis/Chariot). Have decided to take a little social break and focus on building up more stats; I'm pretty close to being able to start Mitsuru and Akihiko's links just as I'm rounding out my first batch!

I have been listening to A Way of Life all day because...well, c'mon:

Every Persona game has incredible music, but the vibes of P3 and P3P's soundtrack hit hardest for me personally.

Been like 8 or 9 years since I did a full playthrough of any version of P3. Gonna do FeMC on Switch while watching the movies when I reach their end dates for the male route, then MAYBE play the Answer on Steam Deck. maybe.

Been like 8 or 9 years since I did a full playthrough of any version of P3. Gonna do FeMC on Switch while watching the movies when I reach their end dates for the male route, then MAYBE play the Answer on Steam Deck. maybe.

I’m playing though all the modern personas and side games this year too and I think my P3 “solution” was to play FeMC and then watch the movies to get “everything” as well!

Last edited:
I’m playing though all the modern persona’s and side games this year too and I think my P3 “solution” was to play FeMC and then watch the movies to get “everything” as well!
Right, I played through FES on PS3 like 9 years ago, so I’m still pretty familiar with the male route, but I figure I can do it this way instead of having to play it twice.

P3P defaults to JP audio on Switch so you don’t get Vicced without consent

Do I miss anything important by choosing the FeMC for my first playthrough of the game (or any Persona game tbh).

The story and characters are good compared with P4G/P5R? I know gameplay and visual are inferior to other Personas games, so I want to know if worth play with this in mind. Also, this game have requisites for "true ending" or something like this?

The story and characters are good compared with P4G/P5R? I know gameplay and visual are inferior to other Personas games, so I want to know if worth play with this in mind. Also, this game have requisites for "true ending" or something like this?
There are no requisites for the true ending other than not choosing the bad ending, and that choice is extremely obvious.

I think the story is the best of the modern Persona games.

Also, I don't think that the gameplay is inferior to the other Persona games, but I'm an outlier. If you've ever played a hardcore dungeon crawler or a roguelike, I think you'll be fine with the structure of one big dungeon with randomly generated floor layouts. The series has moved in a flashier direction, but I think the battle system and the encounter design is good enough that it can sustain the game on its own.

Summer break is nearly over and I'm still grinding away at Academics so that Mitsuru and I can be pals in the fall! Got my Charm upped enough for Akihiko already. The summer has been really enjoyable, lots of interesting little events and twists. Went on a tennis trip that was a fun little connecting scene! Some more recent shots:

F70nfEB.jpg

gTYKXha.jpg

GsrVPIL.jpg

There are no requisites for the true ending other than not choosing the bad ending, and that choice is extremely obvious.

I think the story is the best of the modern Persona games.

Also, I don't think that the gameplay is inferior to the other Persona games, but I'm an outlier. If you've ever played a hardcore dungeon crawler or a roguelike, I think you'll be fine with the structure of one big dungeon with randomly generated floor layouts. The series has moved in a flashier direction, but I think the battle system and the encounter design is good enough that it can sustain the game on its own.
Yeah, the gameplay is on equal footing with P4 for me and for what it’s worth I got through P3P without taking any extended breaks like I did for P4G.

I also think the characters are better. YMMV but I’ve always found the P4 crew a little overrated and at times more unlikeable than any other in the series.

Yeah, the gameplay is on equal footing with P4 for me and for what it’s worth I got through P3P without taking any extended breaks like I did for P4G.

I also think the characters are better. YMMV but I’ve always found the P4 crew a little overrated and at times more unlikeable than any other in the series.
I could talk about P3 forever, but I'll keep it short. One of the key differences is that the P3 cast get their ultimate Personas via the plot rather than social links. In P4, party member social links are optional so they can't contain any major character development. That means each character gets a dungeon worth of buildup, and then has to become a kind of 2D sitcom joke machine for the rest of the game.

Also, P3 has far more scenes that aren't from the protagonists perspective. That allows the other party members to develop independent relationships. P4 ends up feeling way more like a social power fantasy, and the characters end up flattened because of it.

OK, there's my rant. Take it or leave it.

Do I miss anything important by choosing the FeMC for my first playthrough of the game (or any Persona game tbh).
FeMC is only in P3P, so you won't have the opportunity to miss anything in P4 and P5.

The only thing I can think of is that FeMC has a plot altering element compared to the original game if you pursue a specific social link romantically. It's not an enormous change, but it does impact the weight of some story beats.

Naming which social link is honestly a spoiler by itself.

Hanging out with Koromaru is a stark reminder that I need to get a dang pet soon — probably a cat, although I’m psyched for the long game of getting a dog too 😂

Okay, so downloaded this on gamepass this morning and put an hour into it. Actually think that the VN-style exploration of the game (Was it the OG or FES who was the fully explorable version?) sort of works.

I really appreciate this, at least in comparison to 4 and 5, more grounded and muted take on the series and formula. It makes for a more raw experience, where the characters feel less like characters and more like people, if that makes sense. I know people have voiced that they feel like 3 is duller and more stiff than 4 and 5, but personally I don't mind. I'm looking forward to get to know especially Mitsuru more, she's really compelling.

We'll see how much I will put up with Tartarus (sigh) and Junpei (double sigh) as the adventure goes on.

Phew! It's been a couple days, but rest assured I've been playing a bunch of P3P in the meantime. Getting well into the fall semester now and things are really beginning to pop off, so I'll make this my last set of pics (addictive as it is to take screenshots of this game):
zsb47pe.jpg

Fs4VXG1.jpg

p0kmchX.jpg

VMV5wCm.jpg

P3 really has a great OST, and it's explored to its fullest extent in P3 Dancing.

My absolute favourite is this bop.

I both love and hate you for singling out the P3D remix to this song because I've been hyperfixating on it since it was added to streaming services.

What. A. Jam.

Finished this up yesterday! Had already climbed Tartarus and was going to just lax and hang out for the last couple calendar weeks but I’m ngl, all the good stuff out of the Nintendo Direct convinced me to just race to the finale! Real glad they finally re-released this game. Koromaru forever

Shrug I’m fine with digital on this type of game(waiting to buy P4G on sale till I finish this one. Same for P4U)
So finally diving in tomorrow(named my character and did a little of the opening the other week), any newcomer tips(did FeMC. Know this series is more buff/debuff reliant)

Pre-orders are up at LRG

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of dealing with LRG a few notes to be aware of:
  • There's a two week overlap in the pre-order windows for P3P and P4G. If you want to save on shipping wait until the P4G pre-orders open.
  • That said, they don't ship orders until they have everything on hand in the order.
  • Yes, the shipping rates suck. Amazon has spoiled us all.
  • Be prepared to wait a good while for the games to arrive. I've seen multiple orders take at least 9 months from order to arrival.
  • <Deity> help you if you opt to go for anything beyond the standard edition. Those tend to take the longest to ship due to production delays and are the most prone to shipping damage
  • If you're just going the standard editions everything is going to be fine aside from the long wait

^ 9 months is if you're VERY lucky. I'm waiting on a collector's edition I ordered in May 2022.
<Deity> help you 🙏

I only do the standard editions and my experience has been the polar opposite of most talk about the company I see online

Pre-orders are up at LRG

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of dealing with LRG a few notes to be aware of:
  • There's a two week overlap in the pre-order windows for P3P and P4G. If you want to save on shipping wait until the P4G pre-orders open.
  • That said, they don't ship orders until they have everything on hand in the order.
  • Yes, the shipping rates suck. Amazon has spoiled us all.
  • Be prepared to wait a good while for the games to arrive. I've seen multiple orders take at least 9 months from order to arrival.
  • <Deity> help you if you opt to go for anything beyond the standard edition. Those tend to take the longest to ship due to production delays and are the most prone to shipping damage
  • If you're just going the standard editions everything is going to be fine aside from the long wait
Is there a chance other retailers stock the standard copies? I just want P4G physical in the UK.

Lately their stuff has been getting to Amazon US (with a different cover art) at least. Not sure if this is one of those though.
Best Buy gets their stuff too, and some local game stores do too. There's one in Tyngsborough, Massachusetts for anyone in New England

Back
Top Bottom