• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 3 Portable | Memento Mori

big lantern ghost

the notorious blg
Pronouns
he/him
JDhFa1e.png

PERSONA 3 PORTABLE | MEMENTO MORI

Out on January 19th, 2023
Available for Nintendo Switch, Xbox One & X|S (+Game Pass Day 1), Playstation 4 & 5, Steam

BEGIN A NEW CHAPTER
Return to Tatsumi Port Island a decade after tragedy struck, and start anew. As a transfer student to Gekkoukan High, become embroiled in a bid to save existence as we know it.

JOIN THE SQUAD
After awakening to your persona you’re recruited into the Special Extracurricular Execution Squad, a group dedicated to exploring a dangerous and largely unseen world beyond our own.

EXPERIENCE THE DARK HOUR
People without the power of persona are transmogrified into coffins during a cryptic Dark Hour, where time as we know it stands still. What brings about the Dark Hour, and what is its connection to Apathy Syndrome, a rapidly spreading ailment that makes people lose their will to live?

EXPLORE TARTARUS
Gekkoukan High transforms into Tartarus during the Dark Hour. It is the game’s sole, sprawling dungeon. Climb one randomly generated floor after another, building up your team and keeping them safe as you go. Stay there too long and the SEES will get sick, becoming more of a liability in combat and requiring recovery time back in the regular world. Not the most inviting locale. The checkered floors are pretty nice, though!

NEW PERSPECTIVES
Persona 3 Portable includes the option to play as a female protagonist, which was not in the original release. Also added in: part-time jobs, full control of your party members in battle, new social links, more voice acting, and more!

SCREENSHOTS
c2F7PG3.jpg

1TsTlyb.jpg

0ps9TtA.jpg

TAdRQEV.jpg

TRAILER (SPLIT WITH PERSONA 4 GOLDEN)

Last edited:
I’m definitely interested. Specially since knowing Atlus FeMC would probably get cut. And that’s how I’d want to play

I am so happy to finally play this game! I loved P4G and P5.

Any idea when it’ll go live on GamePass? Midnight EST? Hoping to get a few hours in tonight (west coast best coast)

Very excited to give this game a whirl, although I'm already familiar with the plot. Kinda wish I'd been able to pre-order it on the Switch eShop but it's not a big deal in the end.

Debating checking it out on Gamepass once I'm done with Jedi Fallen Order. I've never played the FeMC.

Great to see an ST for P3 up. I'll be waiting until I finish my P4 playthrough, but I'm looking forward to digging into the game.

Yep, same here (Canada)

Seems like a shame to not just have a standard preload on Switch. I’m gonna play on Series S and pre-loaded through the Game Pass app

Yep, same here (Canada)

Seems like a shame to not just have a standard preload on Switch. I’m gonna play on Series S and pre-loaded through the Game Pass app
Preorders are blocked on all non-Xbox systems as part of Microsoft's marketing deal.

It's really fucking stupid.

That's why I was trying to change my region to buy it, but even going to the easternmost possible edge of Australia, I could not yet buy the game, let alone install it.

Preorders are blocked on all non-Xbox systems as part of Microsoft's marketing deal.

It's really fucking stupid.

That's why I was trying to change my region to buy it, but even going to the easternmost possible edge of Australia, I could not yet buy the game, let alone install it.
Blocking pre-orders is one of the most insane marketing exclusives I’ve heard of. That’s ridiculous.

By the fact that these games cannot be preordered on PS4/PC/Switch, but have been available to preorder on Xbox One and Series for weeks, mostly?

I mean, that coupled with the existence of the marketing deal that we do know of
There was no confirmation back in June that the marketing deal applied to preorder functionality on the eShop/Steam/PSN and it's a bizarre assumption to make given that P5R was up for preorder on those platforms well before its release date

Last edited:
By the fact that these games cannot be preordered on PS4/PC/Switch, but have been available to preorder on Xbox One and Series for weeks, mostly?

I mean, that coupled with the existence of the marketing deal that we do know of
Why do we think this is because of a marketing deal and not just Atlus being Atlus?

Blocking preorders specifically seems like an odd thing for a marketing deal, is there any precedent for that?

There was no confirmation back in June that the marketing deal applied to preorder functionality on the eShop/Steam/PSN and it's a bizarre assumption to make given that P5R was up for preorder on those platforms well before its release date
Why do we think this is because of a marketing deal and not just Atlus being Atlus?

Blocking preorders specifically seems like an odd thing for a marketing deal, is there any precedent for that?
Neither P3P nor P4G are available for pre-order on any system except Xbox systems, including Steam, PS, or Switch. Given that, as well as:

• The existence of the Xbox marketing deal
    • Which includes some amazing stipulations such as Atlus not being able to acknowledge other versions in most of their marketing, as well as Sony and Nintendo not even being able to upload trailers for these games until after 48 hours Xbox has done it
  • The fact that every previous Atlus game has been available for preorder on multiple systems without issue
  • The fact that even P5R wasn't allowed to be digitally pre-ordered on non Xbox systems for 48 hours after it had been available there
I think generally speaking this is self explanatory. If you feel there are other explanations, that's totally fine! But I think Occam's razor applies here lol.

Neither P3P nor P4G are available for pre-order on any system except Xbox systems, including Steam, PS, or Switch. Given that, as well as:

• The existence of the Xbox marketing deal
    • Which includes some amazing stipulations such as Atlus not being able to acknowledge other versions in most of their marketing, as well as Sony and Nintendo not even being able to upload trailers for these games until after 48 hours Xbox has done it
  • The fact that every previous Atlus game has been available for preorder on multiple systems without issue
  • The fact that even P5R wasn't allowed to be digitally pre-ordered on non Xbox systems for 48 hours after it had been available there
I think generally speaking this is self explanatory. If you feel there are other explanations, that's totally fine! But I think Occam's razor applies here lol.

I buy it. It's a silly enough move to be real.

Thanks, Microsoft! I hurried out to order an xbox immediately since I couldn't pre-order my digital-only eshop game!

VQi9wNt.png

Attention students of Gekkoukan High: Persona 3 Portable is out now!

I remember having to pre-order this game (well, the base Persona 3) when it first launched, because no stores in my area were stocking it! Direct orders only for such a niche title. How far you’ve come, Persona.

If you’ll be playing today, stop by and post some impressions.

Soak it up, everybody…it’s more Persona!

VQi9wNt.png

Attention students of Gekkoukan High: Persona 3 Portable is out now!

I remember having to pre-order this game (well, the base Persona 3) when it first launched, because no stores in my area were stocking it! Direct orders only for such a niche title. How far you’ve come, Persona.

If you’ll be playing today, stop by and post some impressions.

Soak it up, everybody…it’s more Persona!

Now I just need to figure out which protagonist I'm using this time.

I was hoping to play tiny bit before work, but alas, cursed by the slow wifi of the Switch.

Oh well, gives me time to decide which protagonist to go with.

This is will be my first time playing thorugh the Portable version (and femc route specifically), very exciting.

I have to admit that the lack of the anime cutscenes stings a bit, but being able to control the full party during battles is a more than worthy trade-off. Shame that Atlus didn't put the effort to include them in this re-release, now that the space limits of UMDs are a distant memory.

On the other hand i'm really not bothered by exploration outside of Tartarus being menu based in this version, as i feel everything moves at a brisker pace, which is something i can definitely appreciate.

This is will be my first time playing thorugh the Portable version (and femc route specifically), very exciting.

I have to admit that the lack of the anime cutscenes stings a bit, but being able to control the full party during battles is a more than worthy trade-off. Shame that Atlus didn't put the effort to include them in this re-release, now that the space limits of UMDs are a distant memory.

On the other hand i'm really not bothered by exploration outside of Tartarus being menu based in this version, as i feel everything moves at a brisker pace, which is something i can definitely appreciate.
I was popping back in to say...a bunch of this! No need, since you nailed it 😄

I actually sort of love the Portable presentation; like you said, it feels super snappy to move around and get all of your housekeeping done, and I'm sure I'll only appreciate that more at hour 60 and beyond.

Was going to play this on Game Pass but went with the Switch version at the last minute, feel like I made the best decision for me. I can play it a lot more, mainly! And the Portable graphics look pretty good to me on the smallish Switch screen. Having everything at a rock-solid 60 FPS just brings it all together. Really been enjoying my time so far.

I actually sort of love the Portable presentation; like you said, it feels super snappy to move around and get all of your housekeeping done, and I'm sure I'll only appreciate that more at hour 60 and beyond.

Was going to play this on Game Pass but went with the Switch version at the last minute, feel like I made the best decision for me. I can play it a lot more, mainly! And the Portable graphics look pretty good to me on the smallish Switch screen. Having everything at a rock-solid 60 FPS just brings it all together. Really been enjoying my time so far.

Gotta play on the Switch Lite to keep that authentic PSP feel. :p

Yeah it looks pretty good on the Switch screen. The upscaling job is probably not the best but it doesn't matter that much with a screen of this size.

Gotta play on the Switch Lite to keep that authentic PSP feel. :p

The save/load screen is based on the standard PSP OS menu too, very nostalgic!

Nice OT!

Does anyone have any recommendation for which one to play first between P3P and P4G?
If you've played P5R, P4G is easier to transition to, since P3P is a huge step down in a lot of key aspects.

That said, in terms of plot and structure, P5R is essentially a reskin of P4G almost beat by beat, so if you think there might be fatigue and want to mix it up, P3P would be the way to go.

Basically it depends! My recommendation would be P4G, but they're both great games, you can't really go wrong.

If you've played P5R, P4G is easier to transition to, since P3P is a huge step down in a lot of key aspects.

That said, in terms of plot and structure, P5R is essentially a reskin of P4G almost beat by beat, so if you think there might be fatigue and want to mix it up, P3P would be the way to go.

Basically it depends! My recommendation would be P4G, but they're both great games, you can't really go wrong.
This is great, thank you!

Hope everybody is enjoying the game so far! Thanks to going with the Switch version, I’ve been able to play during the day today. Here’s some early shots from handheld; again, between the IQ and framerate, it looks very nice on the Switch screen.

oc0H9Ej.jpg

QdBuizH.jpg

KD6nrNz.jpg

EjVQgZ8.jpg

i8obM28.gif

And this one is for @AngryNopon, because the save screen hit me like a ton of bricks as well lol:
va1pn0Q.gif

P3 FeMC route is so great. Really wish Atlus would do it again...

Imagine a DLC for P4G and P5R with a female route with the same care from P3P. (rewritten social links, different links in some cases, different dialogue options in most cases reflecting the different protagonists' personalities)

I would pay full price for both. I am aware that would be a huge undertaking for Atlus but it would be worth another $60 from me. Each. Fans complain about Atlus milking their titles, but for me, I feel this would be milking with substance. lol

One thing I really enjoy about this game is that is takes a little while to really feel like a group with everyone. Not every character is outgoing. They are a little standoffish with someone they’ve just met. Some will be weirded out if you come on too strong with your friendship. The cast even talks some shit about each other to you! They feel a little more real because of all that, I think.

Been playing all day and I'm really enjoying it. The scaled back presentation doesn't bother me, and I actually like exploring Tartarus (except for those damn gold enemies I either can't catch or they run away immediately 😡).

Been playing all day and I'm really enjoying it. The scaled back presentation doesn't bother me, and I actually like exploring Tartarus (except for those damn gold enemies I either can't catch or they run away immediately 😡).
Nice to hear you’re liking it! The gold shadows are such a pain haha. You have to sorta sit around a corner and wait until they turn around…I feel like often by the time you even notice them it’s too late for that, though! And I haven’t had one stick around to fight yet 😟

Last edited:
Nice to hear you’re liking it! The gold shadows are such a pain haha. You have to sorta sit around a corner and wait until they turn around…I feel like often by the time you even notice them it’s too late for that, though! And I haven’t had one stick around to fight yet 😟
The thing that gets me is it seems like they always get the advantage. Like I hit them and it still says Enemy Advantage, which they use to bounce immediately, haha.

The thing that gets me is it seems like they always get the advantage. Like I hit them and it still says Enemy Advantage, which they use to bounce immediately, haha.

Nu26kyZ.gif

YES

I happened to get a special floor where every shadow was golden...the math was in my favour and I tagged a few lol. I haven't been able to get the advantage either, no matter how clear a back attack I get. They also seem to always get two turns, so you have to hope they idle both of them away. These bastards are more slippery than a metal slime!

Back
Top Bottom