• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo |ST| Hang on a sec, how did they kn-

Honestly, this game can be genuinely spooky.
Was anyone else afraid in the High School story path when the classroom lights were suddenly shut off and your school friend disappeared? I'm right at that point and I'm legit afraid to move on because I expect some cheap jumpscare to scare the crap out of me.

Edit: Yep, I knew it.

Last edited:
I've gotten totally hooked on this game over the last few days. I am a huge junky for spooky mystery VNs/Adventure games. I almost skipped this one because it seemed to have a bit too much visual horror for my tastes, but about five hours in it's not too bad. Unfortunately I can't really recommend it to people I know who don't like jump scares.

Anyway, really awesome atmosphere and story so far. And I've never seen anything quite like it in terms of the visual framing of conversations or the 360 degree camera control. I'm a huge fan!

I've gotten totally hooked on this game over the last few days. I am a huge junky for spooky mystery VNs/Adventure games. I almost skipped this one because it seemed to have a bit too much visual horror for my tastes, but about five hours in it's not too bad. Unfortunately I can't really recommend it to people I know who don't like jump scares.

Anyway, really awesome atmosphere and story so far. And I've never seen anything quite like it in terms of the visual framing of conversations or the 360 degree camera control. I'm a huge fan!
I'm going to pick this up at some point and I am 100% going to freak out at the jump scares. But it really sounds like my jam other than some of the more horror-y horror bits.

I know this thread has not been used in 5 months but I just finished the game and I need to gush about lol. Man what a game and what a ride. I bought it day 1 but busy schedule and mood keep me away but I am glad I returned.

The most captivating thing was the TV aesthetics, flicking when you went back, the dial noise when looking at files, fantastic. I had family ( great-grandparent) with those tvs so I grew up near them (I'm still in my 20s lol) so it was a good nostalgia trip. I am glad they implemented a touch screen feature on switch, I love it when playing any type of VN or rpgs. Useful for speeding up dialogue.

Characters were interesting, some more than others. The story had a bit of slow burn but then it was a highspeed chase to find the answers with twist and turns. Sadly discussing the story would end the surprises so Ill end it there.

Anyway, if your interested in the occult, a compact mystery novel, or an interesting visual novel, I highly recommend this game. It took me 12 hours I think and its 20$ (SE does a number of sales). I do hope we get more of these titles from SE or other publishers.

I know this thread has not been used in 5 months but I just finished the game and I need to gush about lol. Man what a game and what a ride. I bought it day 1 but busy schedule and mood keep me away but I am glad I returned.

The most captivating thing was the TV aesthetics, flicking when you went back, the dial noise when looking at files, fantastic. I had family ( great-grandparent) with those tvs so I grew up near them (I'm still in my 20s lol) so it was a good nostalgia trip. I am glad they implemented a touch screen feature on switch, I love it when playing any type of VN or rpgs. Useful for speeding up dialogue.

Characters were interesting, some more than others. The story had a bit of slow burn but then it was a highspeed chase to find the answers with twist and turns. Sadly discussing the story would end the surprises so Ill end it there.

Anyway, if your interested in the occult, a compact mystery novel, or an interesting visual novel, I highly recommend this game. It took me 12 hours I think and its 20$ (SE does a number of sales). I do hope we get more of these titles from SE or other publishers.
Thinking back, this is probably one of my biggest surprises of 2023. This game came out of nowhere and it has a lot going for it. The presentation was really cool. I would love to see a sequel or more games like this one from Square Enix.

Thinking back, this is probably one of my biggest surprises of 2023. This game came out of nowhere and it has a lot going for it. The presentation was really cool. I would love to see a sequel or more games like this one from Square Enix.
Could not agree more. One of my biggest surprises this year. Also I just found out the developer, xeen inc, was also the team that worked on the remake of Trials of Mana. So at least some devs are trying other things.

Glad to see the bump. I'm just getting started on it, will be playing in earnest next after having done about an hour or so but always getting distracted by stuff.

I love that this game utilizes a real location and real folklore.

I just started this for spooky time season, and I’m initially a bit confused. There are options for “voice volume” and the storyteller even tells you you can mute people, but unless I’m missing something, there’s not actually any voice acting?

I just started this for spooky time season, and I’m initially a bit confused. There are options for “voice volume” and the storyteller even tells you you can mute people, but unless I’m missing something, there’s not actually any voice acting?
There is no voice acting, thats all I will say.

It's a fantastic experience. Would love to see this become a franchise with more entries.

I’m a few hours into this now and it’s really great seeing how everything is linked together. I’m sure it’ll continue doing this, but I’m really interested in where this goes.

Sorry to double post, but this game really has its hooks in me now! Couple things:

A) This game has some great music, both on the creepy side and also nice jazzy tunes for the detectives

B) Speaking of the detectives: There’s no voice acting, but if there was, Tetsuo Tsutsumi is the most Jamieson Price-ass role of all time. I keep hearing his voice when Tsutsumi is speaking and it fits perfectly.

such a great bit

never touched a visual novel in my life but how spooky is this and is it easy for a dumbass like me
I just finished it tonight, it's not too difficult or very long. Spookiness is... varied? Overall I'd say not that spooky, actually, but it has its moments. A few jump scares but it's mostly more on the creepy, unsettling atmosphere side of things. But it's a great mystery with some fun twists.

never touched a visual novel in my life but how spooky is this and is it easy for a dumbass like me
The game isn't as spooky as the trailers make it seem. It starts out with a few scares but quickly turns into more of a mystery/thriller. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

Just got to the morning, talk about a great introduction. Already hooked, absolutely love the presentation and the vibes so far.

Reminds me of 428 Shibuya Scramble in a lot of ways, which is awesome.

And that's a wrap. Really enjoyed my time with it.

I really appreciate the brevity of the narrative. As much as I love these mystery VN adventure games, they can drag on quite a bit. Paranormasight was very direct wasted no time on fluff, which was nice. I'd also argue that it plays a pretty big role in how effective the final twists are; so many of the big reveals in this game are telegraphed way ahead of time: Nejima being the janitor, Michiyo possessing Yakko, Namigaki killing Michiyo, Ayame being Tsutsumi's daughter, etc. It was a bit of a letdown, but I was able to accept it in exchange for how quick the pace of the story was.

But that assumption was also why I thought the story was more or less solved by the end: Ayame was Nejima's lover reincarnated, possessed by the spirit of Ashino to take revenge on Seiman by resurrecting him or whatever. It all checked out, and fit right in with how the story had been told up to that point. The perfect setup for a last-second rug-pull; Nejima was a lying bullshitter, there was never any resurrection nor possession, and Ayame was just kinda insane. It didn't take long to figure out that the story would loop back to Yoko and Shogo at some point, just by nature of Checkov's Gun, but I wasn't anticipating her being the mastermind full stop; the narrative just hadn't telegraphed any of its reveals like that. Clever stuff.

I also appreciated when the game would let you solve the mysteries yourself. It was pretty obvious who killed Jonouchi and Iwai, and I was pulling my hair out for a bit asking why nobody was questioning the cause of death, but the game letting you solve it yourself was much appreciated. Figuring out the true story of the Honjo Incident was also a lot of fun. The Storyteller in general was a highlight, hope he returns in future games.

I do think the story loses its momentum once daybreak hits, though. I'm not a big horror guy, but the tension and atmosphere of the nightime segments completely outclassed anything that followed. The mystique of the curses was inevitably gonna falter; once you know how they're triggered, there's no more fear of them triggering, regardless of whether the characters themselves were privy of that knowledge. But while the curses were active, and you had no knowledge of how to stop them, that shit was proper terrifying. They could've built an entire story just around that mechanic, maybe even having the actions of characters influence whether a character in another route entirely was susceptible to a curse, but that sadly never materialized. Kinda underwhelming after how many opportunities you get to kill people with Shogo, definitely set the game up to be something more than what it was.

I don't mean to completely disregard the narrative here, it's good. Nothing that will really stick with me outside of the meta stuff, nor will the characters, but they're all compelling enough to be engaging throughout the whole story. There were a few that didn't really amount to much of anything, Mayu in particular, but the reverse applies for them too; nobody will stick with me in a good way, nor will I remember anyone being egregiously bad. The story and characters did their job, credit for that.

Knowing that more Paranormasight games are seemingly planned has me hopeful though, there's a ton of potential here. Especially if they adapt different "folktales" from various cultures. A series of horror-inspired mystery VNs revolving around ghost stories from around the world sounds incredible. But even if they only stay in Japan, there's still a ton of potential, and I hope they continue building on it. Hell, they could easily bring a few of these characters back in the future: the three sidekicks and Yakko could easily show up in a future game as part of the Paranormal Bureau, or something related.

Overall, really enjoyed it. One of the better games I played this year. And on a more general note, this game's existence in the first place is really damn cool. The whole genre has been experiencing a bit of a renaissance lately, but so much of it is from creators or franchises we've seen in the past. Having something entirely new is awesome.

Last edited:
OK I need help cause things are making me crazy.
I'll put in spoilers in case.
So how can you be rescued in the mayu's route. I do everything with the fax, harue and richter get it, I go to the bridge with them, richter tells harue he's going inside the factory and the chapter closes. Then in mayu's route, nothing happens. No one comes. What did I miss ?!?!

Back
Top Bottom