• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo |ST| Hang on a sec, how did they kn-

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
QyDCBku.jpg

DO4oa84.png

Developer and Publisher: Square Enix
Genre: Horror adventure
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Steam, Android, iOS

"How far would you go to bring someone back from the dead?
In Japan, whispers surround the tale of the "Seven Mysteries of Honjo."
A mysterious 'Rite of Resurrection' leads to conflict between those who have the power to curse...

This unsettling tale takes place in the Sumida Ward of Tokyo, Japan, in the late 20th century. Unravel the hopes, dreams and fears of these unique characters who find themselves in the grip of deadly curses, as their motivations intertwine in a story that twists and turns.

Lead the story to its conclusion by your own hand!"

VVPEnjg.png

PARANORMASIGHT is a game all about investigation, information and unraveling the grand mystery. (not unlike a VN/adventure game like, say, Phoenix Wright) You examine things in your surroundings to unlock new, crucial information about the people you meet and the places you visit, and eventually, you'll trigger a flashback that you can recall, to uncover even more information and advance both the plot and the mystery. Everything is being stored in a handy game file for you to pour over, as you work your way towards answers.

wlNZKhu.jpg

6mbc5yZ.jpg

1qBpcVi.jpg

Vtx5qWh.png

GbGIGO2.png

__

This game is amazing! And we need to talk about it. It being a fairly low-key release, it might run the risk of going under the radar for many, and personally, I hope it gets good word-of-mouth.

Mark spoilers accordingly! I know that this game will likely be tricky to discuss given the spoiler-sensitive nature of the plot, but I still think that there's discussion to be had about all of the game's aspects.

Last edited:
Good game so far. Playing on Switch. Already getting interesting, even before any of the main characters get introduced.

Mannnn this sounds good.

Any word on a physical release?

Quik check on Google but nothing popped out.

I think most S-E releases get physicals, but I know at leastn_Voice of Cards_ did not.

Super excited to check it out. I am deep in Octopath and Azure comes next week but I can jump to this since its a different genre.

I should be able to finish it tomorrow, I'm about 6 hours in. It's excellent, definitely will end up as one of my fav of the year.

Went in absolutely blind and it kept surprising me, especially gameplay wise during the "turorial" with the first character.

Mannnn this sounds good.

Any word on a physical release?

Quik check on Google but nothing popped out.

I think most S-E releases get physicals, but I know at leastn_Voice of Cards_ did not.

Nothing yet, but SE / Bandai in Asia do physicals for smaller SE releases so we can hope.

Okay, I'm not great with horror most of the time - as someone who can handle, say, Resident Evil REmake, or Danganranpa, that kind of thing, but not really full-on horror stuff, how scary is this game?

Okay, I'm not great with horror most of the time - as someone who can handle, say, Resident Evil REmake, or Danganranpa, that kind of thing, but not really full-on horror stuff, how scary is this game?
Depends on your tolerance for jump scares really (So far).

Depends on your tolerance for jump scares really (So far).
Hit and miss. I managed to play Immortality, and Doki Doki Literature Club, but I did get super creeped out. Still, I might check this out later on! Don't have much time for it at the moment, but it's something I'm interested in.

Hit and miss. I managed to play Immortality, and Doki Doki Literature Club, but I did get super creeped out. Still, I might check this out later on! Don't have much time for it at the moment, but it's something I'm interested in.
Ideally someone will put up a playthrough on YouTube with a warning before these things happen for those who can't deal with them. I'm hoping someone does it to link to a friend of mine. I already gifted it to her on Steam but the first one was a bit too much for her.

I hope people don’t sleep on this, I’m loving it so far. Vibes and atmosphere are suitably foreboding and creepy, but not to the point where it stops me from playing. Story is super intriguing so far, and the characters are exactly what I want out of this kind of game where they’re all a quirky cast of troubled weirdos with excellent designs.

Really want to talk about some of the twists and gameplay mechanics but that’s super spoilery stuff and the reviews are spot on when they encourage people to go into this blind.

There have been a few jump scares though for anyone who is sensitive to that stuff.

Currently playing it and it is more a supernatural mystery game than pure horror. Also the fact it is 2d portrait based andit has no dub makes it even more tolerable.
I played RE7 (absolutely horrifying game lol) a few months ago and they are worlds apart.

Haven’t had nearly enough time to play this over the weekend than I wished for, but now I plan on dedicating the evening to it.

This game is something else entirely. Like, one of the narrative tricks that it pulled off near the beginning made me laugh at how ingenious it was.

What it does need, however, is an option to turn off rumble. I play handheld for the touch controls and I get it, it’s impactful to emphasise moments with rumble, but holy shit, the entire console goes BSSSSSSSTH like, every other second at times.

Edit: meant touch controls.

Last edited:
What it does need, however, is an option to turn off rumble. I play handheld for the motion controls and I get it, it’s impactful to emphasise moments with rumble, but holy shit, the entire console goes BSSSSSSSTH like, every other second at times.
I had the same experience, it was like the rumble from VC4 a bit much. There is an option though, I havent played too much so I dont know if it gets better to deal with it.

Haven’t had nearly enough time to play this over the weekend than I wished for, but now I plan on dedicating the evening to it.

This game is something else entirely. Like, one of the narrative tricks that it pulled off near the beginning made me laugh at how ingenious it was.

What it does need, however, is an option to turn off rumble. I play handheld for the motion controls and I get it, it’s impactful to emphasise moments with rumble, but holy shit, the entire console goes BSSSSSSSTH like, every other second at times.

There is, in the menu

I just finished the game today! The game is great - not perfect - and I have some spoilery thoughts on it. I want to mention that the game ran flawlessly for me on Steam, so I have no perspective on the Switch version (of which I've heard there are some navigation and menu issues).

I really hope this finds further success because it was very enjoyable.

The good:
-I ended up loving the cast of characters, even the ones that are total bastards. I don't think there's a single unlikable character in the entire cast.
-The visuals and general presentation, while limited, are really great. You can tell they were doing a lot with a little here.
-The atmosphere is great, and while I'm not a fan of jump scares, there are plenty of unsettling moments throughout that are scary enough without resorting to them (though it does still use them more than I'd like).
-Some very inventive puzzle solutions that keep you on your toes. There are multiple instances of outside-the-box thinking that made me feel very clever upon figuring it out. The one in the introduction sequence was really, really clever.
-Mocking Birds are dope, their designs are cute (I found 17/20 of them) and I plan to grab the last of them sometime soon just to look at their art.
-The story feels fleshed out and the curses themselves and their rules are a very good immediate hook.
-It does a good job of spacing out big moments appropriately.
-Lots of fun timeline shenanigan stuff.

The meh/bad:
-The pacing of the game starts to fall off a bit around 2/3 of the way through the game. They really go out of their way to belabor points, to the point where I felt like a good chunk of the dialogue towards the end were characters reiterating things we already knew.
-The game has a weird tendency to very casually reveal twists early, and then make a big moment out of them later after you've already figured them out. Things like the school janitor being Nejima are sort of just thrown out there earler than you would expect. I had the story pretty figured out relatively early because of this, minus some of the more specific and tricky twists.
-Once the setting changes to day time, the stakes start to feel rather low and the vibes aren't as creepy. I liked the night segments because knowing that someone could show up and fuck you up with a curse made encounters more unsettling. This meant that a big portion of the second half of the game was a bit weaker in atmosphere.
-Some small writing nitpicks like typos and mistakes (I seem to recall one character is introduced as being single, but is then immediately revealed to have had a fiance in their bio). Stuff that could just be patched and/or ignored ultimately, so not a big deal.

Overall, I really liked it. This could be Square Enix's Ace Attorney or Somnium Files. I hope more people play this one and it becomes an anthology series of some sort, though I strongly suspect that the lack of marketing around it means it'll either be a one-and-done or any sequels will be Japan exclusive.

This game has me hooked! Not gonna dive into specifics, but there are a lot of cool things happening. The release was certainly under the radar, so I'm glad I found it.

I just finished the game today! The game is great - not perfect - and I have some spoilery thoughts on it. I want to mention that the game ran flawlessly for me on Steam, so I have no perspective on the Switch version (of which I've heard there are some navigation and menu issues).

The good:
-I ended up loving the cast of characters, even the ones that are total bastards. I don't think there's a single unlikable character in the entire cast.
-The visuals and general presentation, while limited, are really great. You can tell they were doing a lot with a little here.
-The atmosphere is great, and while I'm not a fan of jump scares, there are plenty of unsettling moments throughout that are scary enough without resorting to them (though it does still use them more than I'd like).
-Some very inventive puzzle solutions that keep you on your toes. There are multiple instances of outside-the-box thinking that made me feel very clever upon figuring it out. The one in the introduction sequence was really, really clever.
-Mocking Birds are dope, their designs are cute (I found 17/20 of them) and I plan to grab the last of them sometime soon just to look at their art.
-The story feels fleshed out and the curses themselves and their rules are a very good immediate hook.

The meh/bad:
-The pacing of the game starts to fall off a bit around 2/3 of the way through the game. They really go out of their way to belabor points, to the point where I felt like a good chunk of the dialogue towards the end were characters reiterating things we already knew.
-The game has a weird tendency to very casually reveal twists early, and then make a big moment out of them later after you've already figured them out. Things like the school janitor being Nejima are sort of just thrown out there earler than you would expect. I had the story pretty figured out relatively early because of this, minus some of the more specific and tricky twists.
-Once the setting changes to day time, the stakes start to feel rather low and the vibes aren't as creepy. I liked the night segments because knowing that someone could show up and fuck you up with a curse made encounters more unsettling. This meant that a big portion of the second half of the game was a bit weaker in atmosphere.
-Some small writing nitpicks like typos and mistakes (I seem to recall one character is introduced as being single, but is then immediately revealed to have had a fiance in their bio). Stuff that could just be patched and/or ignored ultimately, so not a big deal.

Overall, I really liked it. This could be Square Enix's Ace Attorney or Somnium Files. I hope more people play this one and it becomes an anthology series of some sort, though I strongly suspect that the lack of marketing around it means it'll either be a one-and-done or any sequels will be Japan exclusive.
Only difference I noticed in switch and steam version is the latter has smooth cursor movement while it is jerky on switch.

There's motion control?

I'm really digging the game so far. Love the art style and visual design, and the mysteries it presents are intriguing. Wonderfully creepy atmosphere too. Excited to continue and see where the story goes next!

I know the gameplay probably differs, but in terms of spoopyness and overall creepy atmosphere how does this compare to Death Mark/NG?

Something I really love about the game is that it has such a thick and suspenseful and mysterious vibe, to the point of just playing it is noteworthy, regardless of where you are in the story. Like, for many mystery games like this, you’re sort of playing mostly for the answers/revelations/twists and the rest is just building up tension and questions for that release. But here, the tension is enjoyable in and of itself, thanks to the vibes. So you can really just play for a while where characters just talk without advancing the plot, and still get something out of it. The music helps a lot here, it’s so spot on.

But of course the game peaks hard when the revelations drop.

Something I really love about the game is that it has such a thick and suspenseful and mysterious vibe, to the point of just playing it is noteworthy, regardless of where you are in the story. Like, for many mystery games like this, you’re sort of playing mostly for the answers/revelations/twists and the rest is just building up tension and questions for that release. But here, the tension is enjoyable in and of itself, thanks to the vibes. So you can really just play for a while where characters just talk without advancing the plot, and still get something out of it. The music helps a lot here, it’s so spot on.

But of course the game peaks hard when the revelations drop.
That sounds right up my alley, I LOVE horror/paranormal mystery adventure games and VNs. Now I know what I'll be doing with my spare gold points.

What the heck, how is this the first time I've heard of this.

That art style is wearing the zero escape 999: influence on its sleeve, just blatant, lol.
As awesome as the art for Zero Escape is, this is more than imitation. The outlined character art is a very natural extention of Gen Kobayashi's previous work with The World Ends with You. Araishi in particular looks right out of TWEWY.

The game is phenomenal so far, just my kind of budget release. My wife and I have probably doubled our playtime by stopping to talk theories. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised by a sequel in the future; this fills the Jake Hunter/Kyle Hyde shaped hole in my heart.

As said in the OP, this game’s plot is spoiler-sensitive and very much a “go in as blind as possible”-game, but if people are on the fence, and don’t mind knowing more, I’ll spoiler-tag the basic premise.

I don’t know how it compares to something like Death Mark or Raging Loop, but the central concept does share the “mafia” vibe, in which the theme centers around who to trust, and who to cast doubt on.

Basically, the “seven mysteries” is a series of urban legends. Each urban legend has a “curse stone” tied to it. You can use it to kill someone. Killing someone fills the stone with some “soul dregs”, and when a certain amount of soul dregs have been collected, the “rite of resurrection” is initiated, in which someone of the curse stone carrier’s choice gets brought back from the dead.

The game follows a couple of protagonists that all finds themselves entangled within the curse stones and the seven mysteries for their own distinct, unique motives.

It’s very light on actual mechanics. When playing as a curse stone bearer, you sometimes need to figure out when to use a curse, or when to trust someone with a curse.

Finished it! I have some general thoughts, and after writing them up I thought using the spoiler tag would be best. You probably don't want to read this unless you have finished the game.

I really enjoyed it, but I feel like the game lost some momentum in the middle parts. It would have been cool if there were more branching paths for the three protagonists after the intro, based on whether they decided to use their curse stones or not. I stopped trying to use them after the intro route, so I admittedly don't know what happens when you try it. Still, the visuals and art were very nice, and there were some very creative mysteries at play. I'm not great at keeping track of everything, so some of it went over my head, but I still enjoyed it.

I hope more people give this game a chance!

So I've reached daybreak and the game is fantastic so far. Nice spooky vibes and a tight storyline that leaves you guessing. I even dreamed about it last night, that's how much I'm into it.

Finished it as well, earlier today. Suspenseful, thrilling, well-paced and hits all the right notes for a game of its genre. Just a top-tier execution of the concept.

While it does come with one or two instances of the genre-typical obtuseness of "investigate every single thing about your surroundings 3 times over, until you find that small thing in the corner that advances the plot", I still have nothing but great stuff to say about this game. It just never missed its mark, and for a moment I was worried about whether or not it would stick the ending, and then it did, and did it hard.

Finished it! I have some general thoughts, and after writing them up I thought using the spoiler tag would be best. You probably don't want to read this unless you have finished the game.

I really enjoyed it, but I feel like the game lost some momentum in the middle parts. It would have been cool if there were more branching paths for the three protagonists after the intro, based on whether they decided to use their curse stones or not. I stopped trying to use them after the intro route, so I admittedly don't know what happens when you try it. Still, the visuals and art were very nice, and there were some very creative mysteries at play. I'm not great at keeping track of everything, so some of it went over my head, but I still enjoyed it.

I hope more people give this game a chance!

I was surprised how quickly the concept of having to decide if you use the curse stone or not was dropped after the prologue. Seems like it didn't pop up again until the end of Harue's route. But I didn't mind, since there was so much else going on.

I agree about stuff going over your head at times. Like, towards the end, the game sort of makes an assuption that you were well-versed in the lore, and I'm not great at skimming through files, so I didn't catch everything in the last few monologues.

Not that it hampered my enjoyment or anything - thankfully the core mystery still operates on its own.

I haven't popped in here, really just because it's a difficult game to discuss haha either you don't want to spoil it or well, you're done and whoever you can talk to about it is done. I thought it was absolutely incredible though, and I would be very surprised if this game doesn't make my top ten this year. If it doesn't, It will only be for the sheer quality coming up. Like Irene mentions above, there is one or two bits that maybe you aren't exactly on the same wavelength as the devs were hoping and you can a bit of a wall (I got a bit tripped up on triggering the
marker/nail varnish in the escape room segment
, but by and large I think it all worked extremely well and the actual character stories told within the larger mystery and lore can be quite thoughtful and touching. Awesome stuff.

I found it relatively smooth to progress until the end of the game. Had to look up a guide to unlock the true ending because there wasn't any hint as to which chapter to go, and even when I got the right one, the Beckoning light curse echo was so small and blended so much with the background that I couldn't see it. And then at the very end I was so stumped and couldn't figure out that I had to enter my own name.

Overall though I enjoyed it A LOT, the plot was very well crafted, and I loved the first part during nighttime in particular because the atmosphere was pretty spooky and I felt a real sense of danger with everyone's curses being active. Another thing I loved is how the two stories from the different time periods (Edo era and modern day) were intermixed, and when you uncovered something about one, it would reveal more of the other. It added mystery to the plot, and a sense of history.

I also want to thank op, because without this thread I would have completely missed this game.

Hey Square Enix, I need to own a set of Mocking Birds stickers ASAP. Start making them so I can buy them, please and thank you.

Finished the game last night and I absolutely loved it. Some general thoughts after beating it:

I think at heart this is a detective/mystery game with horror elements. However, the initial atmosphere and vibes are so creepy and well done that it gives the impression that it's a horror game with mystery elements, so when the horror takes a back seat during the daylight hours it can feel off as the tension starts to falter. Also a lot of the twists and turns in the story come from conversation as opposed to action. So there's less emphasis on actual things happening, and more about people revealing stuff to each other while they're talking. This was all fine with me as I found the lore and the characters to be interesting, but I can understand how some might take issue with the pacing and such.

As much as I enjoyed the music, I loved how quiet the game is - especially at night, the silence really adds to the foreboding, somber mood. The music comes in at the right time, punctuating the importance of the particular story beat. Very well done.

I liked how some things were built up as THE threat but ultimately weren't. Like how Nejima was set up like a supervillain but got killed off right after taking Ayame, and despite all the backstory and sinister machinations devoted to Hihaku Soaps and the chairwoman, they were kind of a red herring in the grand scheme of things. Both were still important to the plot but not in the way I thought, which kept me guessing.

It was great to discover that Shogo's route was more than just a "tutorial," and the clever way that the fourth wall breaking elements turned out to be a vital aspect of the story. (By the way, if you haven't already, be sure to look at the file on the Honjo Incident after getting the true ending.) I don't think they can pull that trick again in the next entry (if we get one), but I definitely want Ishiyama and team to make another Paranormasight game. This needs to be a series.

Y'all with the current sale I'm biting on this excellent looking game.

Only question is whether I go Switch or steam 🤔

Was Switch all the way til I noticed this probably overly harsh review

But has the interface proven a (Switch) deal breaker for anybody?

absolutely not

I don't have any problem with it.

I am legit losing my mind at the "shake your head" part, I can't seem to get it right!!! Super frustrating.

I really don't like the multi controls this game has.. 😭

Edit: nvm I made it.. FINALLY

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but i thought maybe I'd get a quicker response here.. idk why I always struggle with flowcharts so much 🥲

all the paths except this one are grayed out, and I'm like 80% sure I've already exhausted every dialogue option here... even the other path that doesn't fit in the picture shows as completed. I'm just really stuck ha ha..

Sorry for the double post, but i thought maybe I'd get a quicker response here.. idk why I always struggle with flowcharts so much 🥲

If you're where I think you are.

Look under the tree at the Hoonji bridge, there should be something you can interact with. If you've already done that, look carefully around the story chart.

Otherwise look at the fax machine in the shigima residence.

Edit; there's a lot of things to interact with in that branch though, iirc there's an NPC you need to talk with at midoricho park too if you've not done that yet.

If you're where I think you are.

Look under the tree at the Hoonji bridge, there should be something you can interact with. If you've already done that, look carefully around the story chart.
Sorry I edited my post too late, but if you mean to click on the curse that unlocks the new character path, I've already cleared that path as well..

so basically every route except this one is grayed out for me.

Sorry I edited my post too late, but if you mean to click on the curse that unlocks the new character path, I've already cleared that path as well..

so basically every route except this one is grayed out for me.

Have you made sure to be observing the backgrounds as well? And using the think option?

Have you made sure to be observing the backgrounds as well? And using the think option?
Okay so after a bajillionth time,

I clicked on everything again and managed to find more new dialogue, so thanks for giving me the extra push to do that again. XD
Hopefully I'm on the right track now!

I love diverging story paths, yet they don't seem to love me LOLOL

The good:

The meh/bad:

I just finished the game and I just really wanna say I 100% agree with everything that you wrote!

I also feel that if they had spent more time on this by fleshing out the plot and characters a bit more, this could have been super solid!

For now, for what it was and it's price point, I'd still definitely recommend it to people who like mystery vn's!

if you open the files after finishing the game, theres one named File 23 iirc, and it implies they'd be willing to make more of these games!

Ok guys, you convinced me to buy Paranormasight.

Now it's a part of my VN backlog. :/

Back
Top Bottom