• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else starting to think this is a cross-gen game?

It was only given a vague 2024 date, Luigi's Mansion 2 is releasing next summer so the yearly summer Mario game is covered, and the 20th anniversary of the original game is in October. The Switch 2 should be out in September and I imagine we won't get many games for the current system in the few months leading up to it. And given the absolutely insane reflections and graphics we see in the trailer, it definitely would be a great console launch window game.
I already told you why they did that, as they very often do that lol
They're not announcing a TTYD remake 13 months ahead of release

It'll get a release date in the February direct for an April or May release, like they almost always do for games announced in September directs.

I don't think this remake isn't running on the current Switch. Are some getting hung up by the impressive lighting during the Hooktail scene?

If we wanna play the sales figures game, Super Paper Mario is still the best-selling by a significant margin and Color Splash bombed. I don't think there's a huge correlation between the consensus on a game's quality and how well it sells, especially with an IP as large as Mario.
I consider Super Paper Mario my favorite overall so, yeah.

^
Super Paper Mario is the game with the worst gameplay, art direction and level design. I still like it slightly better than Sticker Star for its story and fleshed out characters, but that's about it.
Only my opinion, obviously

^
Super Paper Mario is the game with the worst gameplay, art direction and level design. I still like it slightly better than Sticker Star for its story and fleshed out characters, but that's about it.
And I'm the one who find it the worst game in the series from the gameplay perspective alone lol. Just my opinion too, but I can't believe how much I dislike the platforming part of that game.

I've pointed it out elsewhere but this direct has a lot of similarties to the September 2019 Direct, including the slate of first-party games announced for the upcoming year. Multiple ports / remakes, and one major new title launching in March. The respective Directs ended on remakes of beloved first-party RPGs, with only a vague year release window.

image.png
image.png

Xeno DE ended up launching in May so I could see TTYD hitting around then or June.
Well hopefully March of 2024 isn't similar to March of 2020 ☠️

I've pointed it out elsewhere but this direct has a lot of similarties to the September 2019 Direct, including the slate of first-party games announced for the upcoming year. Multiple ports / remakes, and one major new title launching in March. The respective Directs ended on remakes of beloved first-party RPGs, with only a vague year release window.

image.png
image.png

Xeno DE ended up launching in May so I could see TTYD hitting around then or June.
it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but on the eShop "coming soon" page it's listed before Luigi's Mansion

I'm still absolutely shocked this got a remake and so soon after Super Mario RPG got announced and was given the spotlight. I would have really expected a much more staggered release between those two as the GOAT Mario RPGs getting remakes, but here we are. Genuinely don't know what to make of that after years of Nintendo just kind of saying "nah" to Mario RPGs like these lol.
Honestly this answer might be a cop out but the only explanation I can think of is we’re still seeing the effects of when covid delayed a ton of projects, would explain why they’re releasing a bit closer to each other when they would’ve been more spaced out.

They really did the art style justice. They struck a nice balance between papery and just regular design. Origami king looked so much better than Color Splash (imo) because they turned down the paper aesthetic a few notches.

It’s cute to see, but too much of the aesthetic can get distracting and just take away from the believability and immersion of the world.

I hope they continue to refine this in future games.

Another thing that always hung me up was how in the world they would go about animating Mario as a breathing paper being. TTYD and Super were the only games to have smooth animations for Mario.

I feel like they nailed that here as well. I’d go as far as to say that it’s way more fun to stare at in the remake than in the original game based off that reveal trailer.

Yeah I get that. In basically any other direct there's no way it would've got the closing 'one more thing' spot. But for me that just made it even more special, like in my mind these games were up with Zelda and 3D Mario as top tier stuff. And comparing this reveal to the kinda non-chalant, casual reveal of Colour Splash, it's night and day.
At the end of the day, everything is personal taste. Even knowing it was a TGS show, and even knowing the leaks made the event sound lesser already, I was hyped for something like Metroid Prime or Donkey Kong to be the closer. And Metroid sells about as much as Paper Mario. So it really has nothing to do with how "big" Paper Mario is, just how big other series are in my own biased way. I'm happy for fans to get a big announcement, and the fact that it was the final one is really cool!

I'm really excited to play this because, from the ones I've played (Origami King and 64), the series is very good! I get more hyped about it by the day. Especially because I really like the changes in visuals in the remake!

Realistically I've been thinking the best-case scenario for new content is post-game challenges at the Glitz Pit like Kingdom Heart's coliseum. But the most exciting type of new content we've been getting this generation is whole bonus campaigns like Bowser's Fury, Future Connected, or the Magalor epilogue. I don't expect that to happen but I'm going to share my whacky ideas for the fun of it. I'll put it in spoiler tags to be on the safe side for anyone who hasn't played the original.

So most people would point to an Episode Luigi as the most obvious thing. He has his journey with companions across the Waffle Kingdom and similarly stops at Rogueport between chapters to swap tales with Mario. I know a lot of people have always wanted to play the Luigi story, but I don't see that as feasible for a couple of reasons.

The joke of Luigi's tale is him telling a comically low-stake adventure and trying to sell it as heroic while his partner undercuts him to reveal his cowardice. Actually seeing it play out would take away the joke. I don't see how it would add any more than what Luigi tells us. The other problem is that the remake team would have to make the whole Waffle Kingdom. Luigi's adventure is meant to be a comical parallel to the main game's progression with about the same number of 'chapters' and locations visited. That's a lot of maps to make for a smaller bonus campaign.

So the idea I've always had is to tell a prologue about the original four heroes who first sealed away the demon queen. A bard in Rogueport tells you parts of their story and the game actually has quite a bit of detail on the original four heroes and their personalities and I always thought it would be fun to see these characters. The locations listed in the bard's tale are all places in TTYD. So they wouldn't need to make whole new maps, they could just dress them up to fit the long-ago times.

The other thing would be some new gameplay potential. With a Luigi Story, you'd get the exact same combat just with new partner abilities - which would be fun. But the four heroes could offer a more original take on this style of combat. Instead of a Bro who can do everything and gets tons of customization accompanied by a partner who only gets four moves and less growth, you'd have a system with parity between the four members working together as equal partners. I would probably still have two at a time then you can swap out between which two are on the field instead of just swapping the partner.

They would all be capable of equipping badges but they would work a little differently. To make the distinction more clear and fit the older world setting, I'd call them brooches here instead. Since characters don't have the same weapons it wouldn't make sense to have stuff like the hammer attack badges so instead the abilities you get from brooches would be more like spells. But then the heroes would have their own set of unique abilities innate to them like partners. For balancing sake with everyone being able to equip brooches, I would just make it so each character only gets 6BP the whole game with the brooch costs balanced around that limit.

Now we know when they sealed away the demon queen, she cursed the heroes and they eventually became the chest demons that grant Mario his transformation powers in the present. To make combat a little more different, I've considered retconning the bard's story to make it so the heroes are slowly being cursed the whole time. Then curses would be a new set of abilities that you could have in place of star powers. Of course, they gather the crystal stars as well and I know logically they should have access to the star powers, I just thought switching it up would be more fun.

Structurally, it could be inspired by Dragon Quest 4 which had a chapter structure with each chapter introducing one or a small group of the main party and playing through their personal scenario before everyone teams up in chapter 5. So you'd have three short chapters: the Toad from Pettalburg, the sage Goomba from Boggly Woods, then the Koopa and Boo start together in their own chapter, then a larger fourth chapter where they team up and you have the full mechanics available. But if it needs to be shorter it can start off with the Boo looking to gather the other heroes and go from there.

Realistically I've been thinking the best-case scenario for new content is post-game challenges at the Glitz Pit like Kingdom Heart's coliseum. But the most exciting type of new content we've been getting this generation is whole bonus campaigns like Bowser's Fury, Future Connected, or the Magalor epilogue. I don't expect that to happen but I'm going to share my whacky ideas for the fun of it. I'll put it in spoiler tags to be on the safe side for anyone who hasn't played the original.

So most people would point to an Episode Luigi as the most obvious thing. He has his journey with companions across the Waffle Kingdom and similarly stops at Rogueport between chapters to swap tales with Mario. I know a lot of people have always wanted to play the Luigi story, but I don't see that as feasible for a couple of reasons.

The joke of Luigi's tale is him telling a comically low-stake adventure and trying to sell it as heroic while his partner undercuts him to reveal his cowardice. Actually seeing it play out would take away the joke. I don't see how it would add any more than what Luigi tells us. The other problem is that the remake team would have to make the whole Waffle Kingdom. Luigi's adventure is meant to be a comical parallel to the main game's progression with about the same number of 'chapters' and locations visited. That's a lot of maps to make for a smaller bonus campaign.

So the idea I've always had is to tell a prologue about the original four heroes who first sealed away the demon queen. A bard in Rogueport tells you parts of their story and the game actually has quite a bit of detail on the original four heroes and their personalities and I always thought it would be fun to see these characters. The locations listed in the bard's tale are all places in TTYD. So they wouldn't need to make whole new maps, they could just dress them up to fit the long-ago times.

The other thing would be some new gameplay potential. With a Luigi Story, you'd get the exact same combat just with new partner abilities - which would be fun. But the four heroes could offer a more original take on this style of combat. Instead of a Bro who can do everything and gets tons of customization accompanied by a partner who only gets four moves and less growth, you'd have a system with parity between the four members working together as equal partners. I would probably still have two at a time then you can swap out between which two are on the field instead of just swapping the partner.

They would all be capable of equipping badges but they would work a little differently. To make the distinction more clear and fit the older world setting, I'd call them brooches here instead. Since characters don't have the same weapons it wouldn't make sense to have stuff like the hammer attack badges so instead the abilities you get from brooches would be more like spells. But then the heroes would have their own set of unique abilities innate to them like partners. For balancing sake with everyone being able to equip brooches, I would just make it so each character only gets 6BP the whole game with the brooch costs balanced around that limit.

Now we know when they sealed away the demon queen, she cursed the heroes and they eventually became the chest demons that grant Mario his transformation powers in the present. To make combat a little more different, I've considered retconning the bard's story to make it so the heroes are slowly being cursed the whole time. Then curses would be a new set of abilities that you could have in place of star powers. Of course, they gather the crystal stars as well and I know logically they should have access to the star powers, I just thought switching it up would be more fun.

Structurally, it could be inspired by Dragon Quest 4 which had a chapter structure with each chapter introducing one or a small group of the main party and playing through their personal scenario before everyone teams up in chapter 5. So you'd have three short chapters: the Toad from Pettalburg, the sage Goomba from Boggly Woods, then the Koopa and Boo start together in their own chapter, then a larger fourth chapter where they team up and you have the full mechanics available. But if it needs to be shorter it can start off with the Boo looking to gather the other heroes and go from there.
Fun ideas for sure, if we do miraculously get any post content, I’d settle for a new game plus.

At first I wasn't feeling the limbs being layered over Mario but it's grown on me. It's weird to say that it looks thicker due to the highlight when it's the other way around. It's thicker so there is a highlight. You're are seeing the thickness of the paper as expected from that angle. Noticed how the 'highlight' is only visible from the top.

The SMRPG remake was personally much more of a jaw-dropping announcement for me, but still... seeing yet another Mario RPG I loved as a kid get revived like this is amazing. So glad it looks so good.

^
And I'm the one who find it the worst game in the series from the gameplay perspective alone lol. Just my opinion too, but I can't believe how much I dislike the platforming part of that game.
Yeah, while I still absolutely rank it above Sticker Star/Color Splash, when I marathoned Paper Mario leading up to TOK a few years back I was shocked how much the gameplay didn't hold up lmao. Should've either committed to being a pure platformer with an elaborate plot or still been a JRPG, but the hybrid style they went with really didn't gel and it's a tad bizarre how glowing its reviews were at the time. I think it came out before the influx of NSMB games so maybe people were more receptive to retro Mario fanservice before Nintendo sort of overloaded people with that?

Its plot/characters/presentation still edges it over SS/CS a considerable amount for me though.

Same. The last time I played Super Paper Mario it was completely carried by the great soundtrack and the novelty of its insane storyline. It was a game I came out of completely neutral on, like everything particularly good about it was offset by something particularly bad. The game where Mario infiltrates an otaku fortress full of robot cat maids, gets sent to hell and has to save Luigi from the River Styx, etc. etc. shouldn't be so mediocre, but the gameplay, art, and level design are basically all a complete wash. At best a level will be straightforward and not annoying and a character will be a recognizable thing instead of a collection of abstract shapes. Still, the combat at least has a point to it, which is plenty for me to put it over Sticker Star and Color Splash (not singling out Origami King like others, I've just never played it).

I've seen some mentions that the track that plays around 0:10~0:20 in the trailer when we see Mario's house and Luigi deliver the letter is a new arrangement of the original Paper Mario's file select theme (which itself is an arrangement of SMW's athletic theme), which apparently didn't appear anywhere in the original TTYD.

Could be another hint at new content in addition to the purple toad

I've always said Super Paper Mario was the last good or the first bad Paper Mario in equal measure. The writing is absolutely fantastic, with a lovable cast of allies and villains that set up lots of unique segments. The flip side is that literally the 2d/3d flip mechanic runs our of clever uses by the second world, the rpg mechanics are broke by Bowser's 2x damage boost and the carry partner, and the platforming controls aren't tight enough for a platforming game.

Super Paper Mario was my first real intro to the Paper Mario series. I enjoyed everything about it and didn’t really see the hate or critiques about it. I played Paper Mario as a blockbuster rental and didn’t get too far. I was young and don’t remember it too well. I heard lots of great things about TTYD but never got around to playing it. I bought and played the 3DS Paper Mario and didn’t enjoy it too much. The puzzles seemed too vague and open ended and any of the solutions that I came up with never worked but the stickers that were supposed to be used was just kinda wtf. The story and characters were also not there. I didn’t play the Wii U or Switch titles due to mixed reception from fans and critics.

Super Paper Mario tries to be a lot of things and completely fumbles the bag on almost all of them

It's a boring platformer and a bad RPG. The writing has to hard carry the entire game, and it's mostly very good in that respect, but the other problem is that there sure isn't much Mario in this Mario game. TTYD had plenty of OCs, but supplements them with plenty of Mario-ness, we got sailor Bob-Ombs, Grubba is a Spike, lots of Goombas and Koopas and Boos hanging around

And then Super Paper Mario shows up and the NPCs look like this:
Patchspm.png

The devs got really carried away with wanting to try something new after TTYD and someone probably should have reined them in bit. And also designed decent combat while they were at it

I consider Sticker Star worst since running away from battle is legitimately the best option for beating enemies.

It just hit me the full soundtrack is getting remastered... I'm so ready. TTYD has some iconic RPG tunes
I can’t wait to hear what some of the tracks sound like with fuller instrumentation. They’ve nailed it so far for me.

If the next new Paper Mario that comes out after this release is still in the vein of Sticker Star, do y’all think the reception will be better or worse lol?

If the next new Paper Mario that comes out after this release is still in the vein of Sticker Star, do y’all think the reception will be better or worse lol?
Why on earth would they make a game in the vein of Sticker Star instead of Origami King? That game would get canned fast.

I mean the answer to this is obvious, even to people who like current Paper Mario. Not trying to sound like a smartass, but still.

Origami King is included in that
Origami King has a much better reception amongst fans than Sticker Star and unlike Color Splash it's a lot easier to point out everything TOK does differently to the previous two games. At worst the new Paper Mario would be TOK 2 (which isn't going to satisfy everyone but it's not going to be nearly as much a shit show as a Sticker Star 2 would be), but with this remake I'm honestly expecting a sequel to be a hybrid between TOK and the original two games to avoid/minimize backlash with either two side of the fanbase. I prefer classic PM to TOK but there's absolutely stuff a new JRPG Paper Mario could learn from it, at least level-design wise.

Origami King has a much better reception amongst fans than Sticker Star and unlike Color Splash it's a lot easier to point out everything TOK does differently to the previous two games. At worst the new Paper Mario would be TOK 2 (which isn't going to satisfy everyone but it's not going to be nearly as much a shit show as a Sticker Star 2 would be), but with this remake I'm honestly expecting a sequel to be a hybrid between TOK and the original two games to avoid/minimize backlash with either two side of the fanbase. I prefer classic PM to TOK but there's absolutely stuff a new JRPG Paper Mario could learn from it, at least level-design wise.
Tbh ditch the turn based leftovers that have only harmed the new style, go all in on Origami King’s action adventure Zelda-esque level design, but with TTYD-style unique world, story and characters and I’d be super satisfied.

I just want a well designed game with the charm and uniqueness of the first three entries. It doesn’t have to be an RPG even.

Tbh ditch the turn based leftovers that have only harmed the new style, go all in on Origami King’s action adventure Zelda-esque level design, but with TTYD-style unique world, story and characters and I’d be super satisfied.

I just want a well designed game with the charm and uniqueness of the first three entries. It doesn’t have to be an RPG even.
Personally, I still be really salty if it wasn't an RPG, considering outside of the two Mario+Rabbids games, we haven't had any new Mario RPGs. Current Paper Mario are action-adventure.

If there were a Super Paper Mario remake of any sort, it would be intriguing to see how well that would do. It's the best-selling Paper Mario currently, but it also benefitted from factors that other Paper Mario games didn't enjoy. Mainly how it's an early console title, and also how it's the first 2D Mario platformer before New Super Mario Bros. Wii got there.

That game is still likely going to do well because the high sales of the original would beget high sales of the remake, and maybe the most passionate fans of the original would likely want to support the title to communicate their desire that the direction of old games is what the new games should take.

In any case, I am already seeing some posts elsewhere that call for fans to buy multiple copies of The Thousand Year Door remake. The desire must be very fervent for the old ways to want to do that. We'll see if this would help, or if it didn't.

Thank you for reading.

I consider Sticker Star worst since running away from battle is legitimately the best option for beating enemies.
Well at least I still have fun with Sticker Star's gameplay.

The fact I hated the player movement in Super Paper Mario alone made it worse by default. No amount of great stories will save it for me, unfortunately.

TOK with SPM's combat would be a lot more fun than the semi-RPG crap we've gotten with the modern PM games.

I don’t see why the series just can’t be an action rpg, if they must stay away from it being an rpg exclusively like the classic games. Just give us the best of both genres.

At this point if they don’t want to let go of their precious current direction for modern Paper Mario then keep-

-The world exploration- from Origami King
The levels are vast, enticing for players who want to explore every nook and cranny.

I loved finding the hidden toads, blocks, and treasures in the game it was pretty addicting.

-The depth of combat- from the classic games
I don’t see why you can’t have an evolution of the classic rpg formula with the action from Super and Macho Battles from TOK.

Badges, ally abilities, Mario abilities can all contribute to the real time combat. Perhaps some bosses require certain allys (or even badges as another option to the player) to be able to attack weak points.

Imagine tall paper shockwaves being sent out by a boss that are too high to jump over even for Mario, but you have a Gushen as a party member so in real time you use their ability to water jet upwards and are now able to overcome the shockwaves and close the distance on whatever enemy/boss.

-inspired creative designs- let go of the stale Super Mario bros template and just have some inspired designs for enemies, bosses, and characters from all of Marios games. Or at least make them interesting to battle in some sort of way like the buzzy beetle in Origami King.

It’s not hard but for some reason they just keep using turn based format and then not go all the way with it being an rpg which makes turn based useless. Who wants to slog through battles like that for fun? Don’t waste our time and get rid of it all together.

Stick to one side as long as it benefits the gameplay.

-meaningful progression- like the first 3 games, if I do something it’s because I want it to help me grow or benefit me (basic game design)
The last 3 games I never found myself saying “oh, I need to battle this enemy because I find myself short on: coins, paint, stickers, confetti,”. The overworld supplied more than enough of that to the player making combat useless… don't waste out time and resources.

I do believe we are at the cusp of them picking a side in the next new game that releases. Wether that be an RPG or some other experience hopefully refined and that makes sense.

Last edited:
Interested in this one – I’ve only played two games in the Paper Mario series, 64 and TOK, of which I definitely prefer the latter. The story and exploration side of the games are the two things I think I enjoy the most out of the series, but I did also like the puzzle bosses in TOK quite a bit. In both games I found being thrown into regular turn based battles quite a slog at times when I just want to get from A to B. As someone who prefers puzzle style games I tolerated TOK’s combat slightly more, plus as I found battles in both games to be an unwelcome interruption I preferred how I could avoid more in TOK and still progress whereas in 64 more levelling up was required (although honestly if they want to do combat I’d rather they keep it simplistic and actiony).

Anyway, from the capital D discourse, I know going in that TTYD is more RPG than TOK and I’ll probably end up getting bored of battling but the praise the story and characters have received have pulled me in. We’ll see how it all goes – my hope for the series is a split between an RPG Paper Mario and a more adventure/exploration/puzzle based Paper Mario so more people can get their fill of what they want from the series and play the types of game in they want, and hopefully be respectful to those who prefer the other style of game

This Super Paper Mario slander makes me sad, that game is amazing.

Yes, I’m wearing my finest pair of rose-tinted glasses, why do you ask?

Origami King is a great game, but I also consider it to be part of the Sticker Star mold. Sure, it's so much better than that game that it's hard to even measure how large that gap is, but it does carry the same overall design philosophy.

The conceit of Super Paper Mario - A 2D Mario platformer with the aesthetics, characters and narrative focus of the original games - was amazing.

It's a shame it didn't really live up to that, though I did enjoy it.

I said I wasn't going to buy this because I have the original, but damn, every time I watch the trailer I get closer to caving in and pulling the trigger.

Also, I wonder if the Paper Mario fanbase is destined to war for eternity, until the blood of our descendants causes Nintendo to intervene and say they will split the franchise in two series, one to please those who want a return to the traditional gameplay and another to those who want the series' RPG roots to be abandoned.

Origami King is a great game, but I also consider it to be part of the Sticker Star mold. Sure, it's so much better than that game that it's hard to even measure how large that gap is, but it does carry the same overall design philosophy.
Yeah, even story wise they're in the same ballpark. The classic PM felt like Mario stories told through the story book presentation.
The modern games are their own universe fully about paper.

The Origami King, I didn't really like it. I found the combat system very repetitive and uninteresting, apart from some boss, and the story was too silly for my taste.

I'm curious to know why TTYD is so adored by fans. Personally, I'm much more excited about Super Mario RPG :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom