• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion OLED monitor for Switch. Yay or nay?

Reinhard Schneider

Forgotten vampire hunter
Pronouns
He/Him
Samsung-Odyssey-Neo-G8.jpg

Well, as we say in Spain, life is a raffle. For certain reasons unrelated to gaming, in a couple of months i'm getting a full computer upgrade mostly oriented to hight quality video and image editing. This includes a monitor, and image quality and color accuracy points to OLED, however, this means that whatever monitor i choose will replace my current monitor (32" IPS) and i'm getting concerned about the gaming side of things.

Basically, i've read that OLED is so fast and responsive that 30 fps feels pretty bad on it since there are no image smearing, this would mean that console experience would be pretty much empoverished, and i'm not sure if i want to make that sacrifice.

Does anyone here have the experience of playing 30fps games on a OLED display without motion blending? Is it really that bad? Can you get used to it?

Thanks!

Nope. Pre-OLED Mariko model.
Ah, well. Would have been a close enough comparison / indicator in my experience.

As someone who owns both a Switch OLED and a portable OLED monitor (15"), I can only tell you that if you are indeed sensitive to framerate consistency and pacing, then OLED won't make your life any easier. I noticed (and still do notice on occasion) uneven 30 fps caps on these OLEDs, where I never noticed them before on LCDs. It's much less of an issue with games running above 30 fps, that's for sure.

That being said, you can get used to it! My eyes eventually adapted to it in most games. Take Monster Hunter Rise as an example, where I, upon first booting into the game, totally notice some of the frame jitter present, but after a while I can't really tell anymore. And it was certainly worth the better image quality to me. A worthy trade-off, then.

It will vary on a game by game basis, though, depending on how bad some of those caps are. So if you want to be 100% on the safe side, OLED won't be the answer, I fear.

I have a Switch OLED and an LG C2 OLED TV. Games looks really good to me, I’m no expert on this stuff though. The TV has a lot of different modes, game optimiser etc. Not sure if a monitor would have that.

Games look great on my LG oled. I have never heard about this 30fps issue and never noticed anything and I am fairly sensitive to framerates.

I have a Switch OLED and an LG C2 OLED TV. Games looks really good to me, I’m no expert on this stuff though. The TV has a lot of different modes, game optimiser etc. Not sure if a monitor would have that.
I have the same TV, it took some tinkering in settings (specifically I had to up the TV’s own sharpness settings a bit, something I always try to avoid) but it looks gorgeous on there. Nowhere near an actual 4K source, naturally, but still pretty gorgeous.

Ah, well. Would have been a close enough comparison / indicator in my experience.

As someone who owns both a Switch OLED and a portable OLED monitor (15"), I can only tell you that if you are indeed sensitive to framerate consistency and pacing, then OLED won't make your life any easier. I noticed (and still do notice on occasion) uneven 30 fps caps on these OLEDs, where I never noticed them before on LCDs. It's much less of an issue with games running above 30 fps, that's for sure.

That being said, you can get used to it! My eyes eventually adapted to it in most games. Take Monster Hunter Rise as an example, where I, upon first booting into the game, totally notice some of the frame jitter present, but after a while I can't really tell anymore. And it was certainly worth the better image quality to me. A worthy trade-off, then.

It will vary on a game by game basis, though, depending on how bad some of those caps are. So if you want to be 100% on the safe side, OLED won't be the answer, I fear.
Well, i barely even notice bad frametimes, so i think i'll be fine in the end. Framerates aren't a bother to me unless they go below PAL Ocarina (17 fps average)

I dunno, i got very worried about this because word of mouth seems to be pretty strong to this, but i can't distinguish if it's pure, unadultered wom or part of the recent 30fps hysteria that seems to plague the console space now.

I'm not really sure. Aiming for a Samsung QD OLED because it has Smart TV features wich makes it more useful and will help me ease on power consumption (it consumes less than a PS5) and it seems to have a VERY comprehensive OSD, maybe the option is there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom