• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Old Miyamoto quote from 2013 "4K could be beneficial for Pikmin", could this be why Pikmin 4 is finally coming in 2023?

Meelow

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
Posted this on Era, I wanted to get a Fami discussion.

With Pikmin 4 finally announced and it looking beautiful already, do you think Nintendo has been waiting to launch Pikmin 4 on hardware that can support 4k? With the Nintendo Switch 2/Drake heavily rumoured to be supporting 4k + DLS, a 4K Pikmin game could visually show off what the Switch 2 could do. Of course, Tears of the Kingdom can, too, but with it being on the Switch, I don't see a possible Switch 2 version being anything other than a resolution + frame rate upgrade.

162782-games-news-feature-everything-we-know-about-pikmin-4-trailer-gameplay-and-more-image1-sackpxtfw8.jpg

TBCtLG4.png

Don’t give @Raccoon any more fuel for his switch pro desires!

I’m not sure it would make all that much difference vs a new switch having better rendering capacity and all the on screen stuff that would bring

unfortunately this quote predates the switch concept. unless a new switch had a 4K display (and was big enough for the resolution to make a difference), this benefit is nullified.

we've already seen that they're taking a very different approach with 4: rather than zooming the camera out to see more detail, they've brought it in to enhance immersion in the game's tiny perspective

No, I think that's a general statement that holds true whether or not Pikmin 4 will be Pikmin 4k. The gist of it is that a higher resolution is directly beneficial to Pikmin's gameplay, whereas has a limited impact on Zelda's.

Of course, it is possible we'll see Pikmin 4 released close to Drake, but I don't think this is The Plan.

Reading the article he mentions it would "show things from an even further perspective, and being able to see more may make a more fun game.” which seems like the exact opposite of what they're doing based on what Miyamoto said. Also keep in mind it's more than likely gonna be playable in handheld mode, and I think even the most overly optimistic people in the world aren't expecting Switch 2 to have anything more than a 1080p screen. Frankly considering Steam Deck doesn't even have much better resolution than Switch I wouldn't be shocked if the next Switch was still 720p in portable mode.

Ah yes clearly the 4 in Pikmin 4 stands for 4K

Turns out Pikmin 4 was the system selling launch title for Switch 2 all along

Reading the article he mentions it would "show things from an even further perspective, and being able to see more may make a more fun game.” which seems like the exact opposite of what they're doing based on what Miyamoto said. Also keep in mind it's more than likely gonna be playable in handheld mode, and I think even the most overly optimistic people in the world are expecting Switch 2 to have anything more than a 1080p screen. Frankly considering Steam Deck doesn't even have much better resolution than Switch I wouldn't be shocked if the next Switch was still 720p in portable mode.
we wrote functionally the same post at the same time

The camera is zoomed in when playing portably but super zoomed out in docked mode. Lite owners only get one perspective. You're welcome!

I think so yeah. Miyamoto doesn't say stuff he doesn't believe or is not in some way involved in and if he thinks 4K is beneficial then I think he has something in the works for 4K.

Seeing as they changed the camera position I think it would be more beneficial for old Pikmin than 4.

Last edited:
Speaking of which I also don't get why some people believe that the reason they showed basically not much footage is Switch Pro. Let's assume that the game is coming out around one year after it's announcement, so September 2023. Animal crossing NH was announced in September 2019 and it showed even less than Pikmin 4, just a png logo.

The geometry and texture work in the trailer wasn't too impressive so I doubt it's a Switch 2 title. How are they going to make it 4K on OG Switch?

Well it’s obvious all of the heavy hitters next year will be releasing on old and new gen hardware. So I guess yes to answer your question. However, it’s going to be available on the current switch which I’m guessing 900p 60fps or 1080p 30 fps. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Assume the reason it's coming in 2023 is because of a 4K capability. Will it be 4K in handheld mode? If not this doesn't make much sense, they need the game to be playable at 720p.

I’m honestly very skeptical of the pov change but I’m hopeful, Pikmin is my favorite Nintendo IP (even tho I only love the main games lol).

I don’t think the game will be in 4K at all and even if it was it wouldn’t make much difference considering no way Switch 2 has a 4K screen.

Just please give me a great grass terrain texture for once.

Back
Top Bottom