• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion OK. Talibans barred access to university to women. What now?

Kenka

Like Like
Pronouns
He/Him
Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle… and wonder if we’ll ever get the chance to kill him.

- 2B -

I am an empathetic person who is willing to act but fail to find a starting point. Fami, help me make Afghanistan better, please. We have a vast future ahead of us that must be shaped. Let us inch together towards inner peace by being charitable.

If you're asking what we should do, sending troops back in there certainly won't help. The best we can hope for is internal revolution.

if you had given me a hundred attempts to guess how this thread would start I don't think I would've come close

Using a quote from a video game about a sexy robot warrior in a thread about a real world crisis seems... odd?
Yeah, but honestly is that worth focusing on here? Like what's the point in calling that out? What now?

Yeah, but honestly is that worth focusing on here? Like what's the point in calling that out? What now?
Nobody was forced to reply to my post.

I thought about giving a glib response to this and leaving it at that, which seems warranted, given how brief this OP is to begin with, but I'll be genuine instead. I think nerds on the internet have a big problem not relating to real world problems unless they put it through the lens of the nerdy media they consume and identify with, which is kind of a problem as most nerdy media portrays complex topics in very narrow black and white means, if not downright trivializes them. I believe OP has a genuine desire to help women in Afghanistan, but there's very little in this post to go off of and not much to discuss.

Western intervention in Afghanistan is already well documented, anyone who's been old enough to watch the news or read the internet in the last 20+ years knows exactly what happened there. There isn't really anything westerns can "do" to impact Taliban rule and their oppression of women, in the big picture. Not to mention western powers absolutely love to use human rights issues as a cudgel to legitimize intervention and sanctions; hell, we're sanctioning Afghanistan right now by sitting on the $7 billion we stole from them.

If you want to feel like you're helping, probably your best is looking into what your country is doing (US or otherwise) to support Afghan refugees coming in. But actually changing the political dynamic of Afghanistan is going to be something the population there has to resolve.

"What now?" the title asks, as if it is the west's obligation to intervene and "liberate" every country in the global south. We have done more than enough of that.

Last edited:
Nobody was forced to reply to my post.

I thought about giving a glib response to this and leaving it at that, which seems warranted, given how brief this OP is to begin with, but I'll be genuine instead. I think nerds on the internet have a big problem not relating to real world problems unless they put it through the lens of the nerdy media they consume and identify with, which is kind of a problem as most nerdy media portrays complex topics in very narrow black and white means, if not downright trivialize them. I believe OP has a genuine desire to help women in Afghanistan, but there's very little in this post to go off of and not much to discuss.

Western intervention in Afghanistan is already well documented, anyone who's been old enough to watch the news or read the internet in the last 20+ years knows exactly what happened there. There isn't really anything westerns can "do" to impact Taliban rule and their oppression of women, in the big picture. Not to mention western powers absolutely love to use human rights issue as a cudgel to legitimize intervention and sanctions; hell, we're sanctioning Afghanistan right now by sitting on the $7 billion we stole from them.

If you want to feel like you're helping, probably your best is looking into what your country is doing (US or otherwise) to support Afghan refugees coming in. But actually changing the political dynamic of Afghanistan is going to be something the population there has to resolve.

"What now?" the title asks, as if it is the west's obligation to intervene and "liberate" every country in the global south. We have done more than enough of that.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Agree with everything in this post

Nah, governments don't do whack and that has been proven time and time again in this century and the last.

By 'we', I genuinely mean the dwellers in this forum. Yes, you, whichever place you live in and whatever your notions of Afghanistan or South Asia at large are. Let's do something, even small, to give a smile to the oppressed. I am open to any idea you may come up with as long as it is genuine. I don't mind spending.

I lack the knowledge to start something built to last. Would anyone lend me some of their time and try to be a good guide to me.

edit:

2022-12-2420_55_49-clh3ef8.png

I have 7 reactions and 283 impressions, which results in an engagement of 2.47%. It's ok according to this source. Currently looking for ways to improve engagement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom