• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Octopath Traveller II (the greatest Turn-based RPG of all time) has shipped over 1 million copies.

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him

That took much longer than the first one (3 weeks), but I'm happy it hapened period.

Hoping it can reach 1.5 to 2 millions eventually.

Edit: Forgot something important

Last edited:
Considering this released on 3 platforms simultaneously, I hoped for better numbers. But this is still good for a relative new series.

Amazing news for one of the best RPGs ever. No regrets buying it on all platforms.
Thank you for picking up my slack haha

I am planning to pick it up eventually but if I recall correctly it’s not Nintendo published so it should get nice discounts and everything

For real though: one of the best RPGs ever. I played a copy from the library but I will definitely pick this up at some point

I was tempted to just type "The greatest game ever made sold 1 millions copies" for the thread, but I didn't want the mods to get mad at me.

I would've supported you after being confused initially reading the title because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 crossed 1 million long back.

The title is bait, but by golly if it isn't one of the greatest turn-based RPGs of all time.

I HATED Octopath 1 with a passion. It was just a dreadful, unfun game to play. Weirdly, Octopath 2 does all of the same stuff, only so much better.

Go buy it people.

I've had this on the shelf since launch and am really excited to eventually get around to it. Nintendo dropping Prime Remastered and the GB systems in February really screwed things up for me, so I'm hoping I can start it in... probably early August once Zelda and Pikmin 4 are done.

stares at FF Pixel Remasters, which have also just arrived

Oh no

Please keep making threads like this so I don't forget to right the wrong of me skipping Octopath 2 because it looked like a retreat of the first.

Please keep making threads like this so I don't forget to right the wrong of me skipping Octopath 2 because it looked like a retreat of the first.
As someone who enjoyed it enough to play Octopath immediately after Octopath 2, I’d say that OT2 is a wonderful sequel in the iterative sense. Everything that OT does, from exploration to side quests to the gameplay loop of finding and introducing its cast, to the battle engine itself, is anywhere between an improvement to a huge improvement in OT2. I made a thread about the differences here-

https://famiboards.com/threads/enjoyed-octopath-traveller-2-so-much-that-i-played-through-ot1-immediately-afterwards-here’s-my-thoughts-on-the-series.6055/

Considering how little they promoted the game even right before its release and that good word of mouth had to do the heavy lifting this is an example of a game that sold almost on pure quality alone.

I'm seeing no hyperbole in this thread. Amazing, amazing game.

Congrats to the team! With numbers like these I'd say odds of an OT III are looking very good.

I'm seeing no hyperbole in this thread. Amazing, amazing game.

Congrats to the team! With numbers like these I'd say odds of an OT III are looking very good.
Dom-Pérignon-and-Danny-DeVito-in-Ruthless-People-3.jpg

As someone who enjoyed it enough to play Octopath immediately after Octopath 2, I’d say that OT2 is a wonderful sequel in the iterative sense. Everything that OT does, from exploration to side quests to the gameplay loop of finding and introducing its cast, to the battle engine itself, is anywhere between an improvement to a huge improvement in OT2. I made a thread about the differences here-

https://famiboards.com/threads/enjoyed-octopath-traveller-2-so-much-that-i-played-through-ot1-immediately-afterwards-here’s-my-thoughts-on-the-series.6055/

I think it was your thread that first made me aware of how positively exuberant the reception of Octopath Traveler 2 has been. That and Jason Schreier doing a 180 after slagging the first game. Biggest surprise turn-around in recent memory.

I loved the original, so this one is locked in for a 100% playthrough as soon as a window for an RPG opens up.

I think it was your thread that first made me aware of how positively exuberant the reception of Octopath Traveler 2 has been. That and Jason Schreier doing a 180 after slagging the first game. Biggest surprise turn-around in recent memory.

I loved the original, so this one is locked in for a 100% playthrough as soon as a window for an RPG opens up.
If the entirety of my impact on Fami has been to increase awareness of the awesome rpg that is Octopath II by one person, it has been a good year :)

The title is bait, but by golly if it isn't one of the greatest turn-based RPGs of all time.

I HATED Octopath 1 with a passion. It was just a dreadful, unfun game to play. Weirdly, Octopath 2 does all of the same stuff, only so much better.

Go buy it people.

As someone who hated Octopath 1, noted.

Just saw this too.

Now, I've got no effing clue on whether this actually means much, but I can't imagine SE gives out these internal awards to each and every game they ship. Soooo... maybe they're actually happy with OT2's commercial performance?

Just saw this too.

Now, I've got no effing clue on whether this actually means much, but I can't imagine SE gives out these internal awards to each and every game they ship. Soooo... maybe they're actually happy with OT2's commercial performance?

I imagine any HD-2D games selling over 1 million copies in less than a year (without heavy discounts) is a good thing a for SE's standards.

For anyone who bought Octo II, is it as good as the first Bravely Default?

If yes, then I might give it a chance.
As far as I'm concerned every Asano games from the Switch era are amazing, so my answer is an extremly easy yes.

If the customability aspect of the first Bravely is what you like about it, there is no reason you wouldn't enjoy OT 2 as well.

This and Triangle Strategy are my favorite Team Asano games so this news makes me very happy! I can't wait to see what they bring out next, especially their next original game.

I imagine any HD-2D games selling over 1 million copies in less than a year (without heavy discounts) is a good thing a for SE's standards.

As far as I'm concerned every Asano games from the Switch era are amazing, so my answer is an extremly easy yes.

If the customability aspect of the first Bravely is what you like about it, there is no reason you wouldn't enjoy OT 2 as well.
Well, I got completely put off by the Bravely Default II demo on the eShop (because it was too damn hard) and it made me question the quality of any subsequent Asano title on the Switch. I bought Triangle Strategy almost by chance (which is good but has way too much text in it).

Considering how little they promoted the game even right before its release and that good word of mouth had to do the heavy lifting this is an example of a game that sold almost on pure quality alone.

Agreed. I also think that this game's word of mouth will have a long tail. People will keep going to it as long as the Switch is still around.

I also think it will be in a lot of year-end lists.

I enjoyed, but eventually got bored of the first one. Was still interested in trying this one, and all this praise is making it a certainty that it will indeed happen at some point.

I enjoyed, but eventually got bored of the first one. Was still interested in trying this one, and all this praise is making it a certainty that it will indeed happen at some point.
Did you finish this one? I'm tempted to buy this game but I remind myself that I lost my motivation to keep on playing the first near midgame.
Loved the artstyle, music and battle though.

It’s much better IMO. If what you liked is the combat system and party build options, then you’ll find a lot to like.

Well, I got completely put off by the Bravely Default II demo on the eShop (because it was too damn hard) and it made me question the quality of any subsequent Asano title on the Switch. I bought Triangle Strategy almost by chance (which is good but has way too much text in it).
As far as I know, BD2 was actually made by a different team, and that + difficulties with the engine change is what led to the game being pretty different from BD/BS.

Personally, I loved BD/BS, generally disliked BD2 (still finished it though), liked OT1, and loved Triangle Strategy and OT2, if that's any indication. I can be more precise in my comparisons if that helps though.

I would say it is way better. But I also didn't enjoy the Bravely Default games as much funny enough :p.

I still have to go back to this game. A bunch of games came out back to back for me and unfortunately I dropped this game at about 40 hours and haven’t had the chance to go back. I’d say what I played was better than the original, but I beat all the character stories in the first game (not the final final boss) so something about that first game was more compelling to me.

The difficulty of the Bravely 2 demo as a harder the main game on purpose.

The actual game had an easy mode too.

This and Triangle Strategy are my favorite Team Asano games so this news makes me very happy! I can't wait to see what they bring out next, especially their next original game.
I'm honestly curious to see whether they have a new IP coming or if they're "just" going to make sequels for the near future. My money is on the latter, though I'd like to see an HD-2D ARPG to switch things up a bit.

I still have to go back to this game. A bunch of games came out back to back for me and unfortunately I dropped this game at about 40 hours and haven’t had the chance to go back. I’d say what I played was better than the original, but I beat all the character stories in the first game (not the final final boss) so something about that first game was more compelling to me.
In a similar spot, though I did really enjoy what I'd played of the game (all chapters 1 and 2)

Got pretty quickly deprioritized though when Future Redeemed and ToTK released back to back. Looking forward to getting back to it when I eventually finish up with Zelda

While I will not go back to Bravely Default II, I am ready to buy Octopath Traveller II. Thank you guys for your impressions.

Last edited:
I'm so glad this is already considered a modern classic by many people. I will make sure to do my part celebrating the game when it's GOTY time.

The series that made "My blade is unbending" something I'll randomly say during team meetings. Love me some Octopath. I'm ready to pre-order Octopath 3 if they want to announce it.

The series that made "My blade is unbending" something I'll randomly say during team meetings. Love me some Octopath. I'm ready to pre-order Octopath 3 if they want to announce it.
Octopath is the best new IP this gen for me, I’ll defo be there day one if they make another

Good considering it had a low-key launch. Reverses the downward trend these HD-2D games were on. Obviously it won't catch the original, but hopefully between the word of mouth and wide platform release it can sneak its way to 2m or something.

I do think they would be well served taking a stab at a more traditional sweeping RPG narrative, vs the split character story style. Definitely still seems like a hangup for a lot of people.

With all those price drops, I doubt it won't reach 1M.
I mean for starters the physical version might be getting discounted here and there but most games do, secondly there's no reporting of overshipping, lastly the game has never been on sale digitally so far. I can't see how "all those price drops" is a fair assessment.

Go buy it people.
I saw a similar take like this from Jason Schreier and it makes me want to give this game a shot. But man Octopath 1 was just such an awful slog I don’t want to fall for this again. Especially with how many people similarly gushed about that game too. Fool me once…

I saw a similar take like this from Jason Schreier and it makes me want to give this game a shot. But man Octopath 1 was just such an awful slog I don’t want to fall for this again. Especially with how many people similarly gushed about that game too. Fool me once…

I mean, the game has a 3 hour demo that you can repeat over the various characters if you're not sure, it's not like they're requiring you to put money down blindly.

I’m so upset this wasn’t part of the vouchers like OT1 was. Definitely need to get to it later in the year.

Back
Top Bottom