• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Serious Now-former GameXplain member alleges heavy crunch, low pay. Again.

Nmanic

Bob-omb
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins
For sake of balance, Andre's response is linked below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...FziHTHUB-Yy9G37a_D1rNyDEwwJEn6xRl9U7V62CA/pub

While I do get the impression Jake was being overworked - I've always felt the quality of GX videos had fallen off in recent months in a push to make more content, more quickly - specific allegations such as Jake taking on additional work without informing Andre certainly muddy the situation.
Personally, this response contains one of the biggest red flags for me... "I'm sorry (that you felt a certain way)". This is a non-apology.. He's not taking any ownership over it, maybe bc he genuinely thinks he did nothing wrong.

I don't know, it's hard for me to offer him any benefit of the doubt since this seems to be a pattern of behavior..maybe in his eyes he's doing what he can, and he does say he'll soul search... But I would probably recommend other people don't sign up to work with him.

Jahranimo

Starman
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...FziHTHUB-Yy9G37a_D1rNyDEwwJEn6xRl9U7V62CA/pub

While I do get the impression Jake was being overworked - I've always felt the quality of GX videos had fallen off in recent months in a push to make more content, more quickly - specific allegations such as Jake taking on additional work without informing Andre certainly muddy the situation.
Nah I'm not letting it slide this time.

YolkFolk

Tingle
Famicoins

Are you kidding me?

Every single person who leaves talks about how toxic the place is. There’s an undeniable pattern of behaviour.

There are no mitigating circumstances for Andre here. He’s clearly a complete arsehole and a dreadful boss.

SunnyDays

Octorok
Founder
Pronouns
they/she
Famicoins

So when accused of overworking someone, Andre responds that actually it was the employee overworking themselves and actually the only bad thing they said was about another coworker and wowee is it hard to really help out when he's not actually doing more work than that other employee.

What utter tripe. Andre's just trying to distract with that whole post.

isaacmaltes

Octorok
Pronouns
any
Famicoins
So when accused of overworking someone, Andre responds that actually it was the employee overworking themselves and actually the only bad thing they said was about another coworker and wowee is it hard to really help out when he's not actually doing more work than that other employee.

What utter tripe. Andre's just trying to distract with that whole post.
The unfortunate part is people in the comments are either eating it up or not caring

It’s so odd to me

Ahmed

Koopa
Famicoins
I think many thought & assumed that's how things operated; but, nope. The Patreon is the sole means in which we get any type of compensation for doing Saturday and now the Patreon-linked shows (the Nintendo and Xbox dedicated podcasts).
I don't want to make assumptions or anything, but that sounds really unfair. Doing a 1-2 hours podcast for years and during the weekend for no pay at all doesn't make sense. Especially when there are many people expected to make some time so their schedules align. And (in my opinion at least) I see many donations being read out during the podcast.

For those asking about how much the channel makes, when we were there at least it would be $20k in a bad month and E3 season could bump that about 3x higher

On average I'd say $30k per month
And I'm pretty sure the channel is making more money right now. I hope you're in a much better place now, much love to you and your family.

This sounds like a "not my fault he felt overworked, he did it to himself. If I could force people to come to office, things would be better!"

browneyes84

Moblin
Famicoins

Always good to get both sides of a story. (y)

Captain Falcon

Octorok
Famicoins
I really enjoyed Jake on GameExplain and look forward to whatever he does next, but I also think the dude has a massive ego and his letter makes it clear he felt he was above this type of work. And that is probably true given how talented he is, but he also signed up for the job and gained a ton of exposure & skills from it. Unfortunately, most people in life have to start at the bottom and work their way up over time. The hours probably did suck (which shouldn’t be surprising), but part of this letter comes off as resentment over a waste of his own talent.

As for all the Andre hate, I think people have to realize Game Explain is a small business and Andre is the owner. He doesn’t have to pay his staff top dollar and at the same time no one is forced to work for him. That latter point is key, because if you treat your staff like shit and/or don’t pay them enough (like with the original crew) they will all leave and eventually you will have trouble finding real talent. So yeah, Andre can take a greater share of the profits in the short-term, but by doing so he hurts his product in the long-term. I’m not sure why everyone here takes this stuff so personally though. It’s all just business at the end of the day and if Andre wants to slowly destroy his brand by forcing out all his top talent then let him.

SunnyDays

Octorok
Founder
Pronouns
they/she
Famicoins
I’m not sure why everyone here takes this stuff so personally though. It’s all just business at the end of the day and if Andre wants to slowly destroy his brand by forcing out all his top talent then let him.
It's because it's wrong to abuse people, and makes you a generally detestable person, while Andre's business profits entirely off personal interactions with the media we consume. Should we show no sympathy to those who have to suffer a bad employer, and instead just consume consume consume?

Galgavias

Koopa
Famicoins
Andre was always the weak link in the original GameXplain crew so when Derek, Ash and Jon all jumped ship to help form GVG it was an easy decision to leap overboard with them, especially when I heard what they went through. I'm unfamiliar with Jake's work as a result but I hope the move works out for him. As for Andre, he really has some soul searching to do, although I sense he's probably more likely to come to a Seymour Skinner-esque 'No...no it's the overworked employees who are wrong' conclusion.

YolkFolk

Tingle
Famicoins
Always good to get both sides of a story. (y)

This logic doesn't really work when every single person leaving has declared how bad the working conditions are and how at times there was behaviour best described as bullying.

It's like getting a press release from Embracer after their 6th company destruction and declaring 'Always good to get both sides of the story". Yeah, you can say that after maybe 1-2 instances but after that you form a pattern of behaviour and actions where it should be clear to anyone that Andre doesn't treat people well.

I advise you to seek out the statements of previous members.

Captain Falcon

Octorok
Famicoins
It's because it's wrong to abuse people, and makes you a generally detestable person, while Andre's business profits entirely off personal interactions with the media we consume. Should we show no sympathy to those who have to suffer a bad employer, and instead just consume consume consume?
I’m sorry, but how exactly did Andre abuse people? By not paying them enough? By not putting a hard cap on their hours? If there is more to the story, then let me know and I’ll gladly change my tune here. But at the end of the day, no one is being forced to work for him. If Andre sucks as an owner and no one is gaining quality experience, building their brand, or benefiting financially, then they can leave and do other things.

Derrick, Ash, & Steve all felt that working for Andre was no longer a value add so they went and started GVC. Their exits have hurt the Game Explain brand accordingly. But guess what? You reap what you sow, and by not valuing his talent, Andre has hurt his product in the long run. I just don’t think this makes him a “detestable” person and I think the hate for him is a bit too extreme.

SunnyDays

Octorok
Founder
Pronouns
they/she
Famicoins
I’m sorry, but how exactly did Andre abuse people? By not paying them enough? By not putting a hard cap on their hours?
By not paying them enough and overworking them. That's, like, literally the entire complaint. I genuinely don't see what you're missing? You understand that it's abusive and wrong to consistently demand more of your employees than they can sustainably put out, right? That crunch is both a failure of leadership and of character?

ziggyrivers

thunder
Pronouns
He/him/his
Famicoins
As for all the Andre hate, I think people have to realize Game Explain is a small business and Andre is the owner. He doesn’t have to pay his staff top dollar and at the same time no one is forced to work for him. That latter point is key, because if you treat your staff like shit and/or don’t pay them enough (like with the original crew) they will all leave and eventually you will have trouble finding real talent. So yeah, Andre can take a greater share of the profits in the short-term, but by doing so he hurts his product in the long-term. I’m not sure why everyone here takes this stuff so personally though. It’s all just business at the end of the day and if Andre wants to slowly destroy his brand by forcing out all his top talent then let him.
The problem with this take is that it doesn’t take into consideration the following:
• “Overworked? Quit” - Why must organizations that overwork their employees exist anyways? Where’s the staff planning? Where’s the sense and efficiency in a wrongfully distributed load of work? Do those employees have a right for better work conditions and pay?
• “He doesn’t have to pay top dollar” - It’s this mentality that leveraged the scale of power between employer/employee during the COVID era: don’t want to pay me more? Then I’ll move to a company that pays me more, with better benefits and remote/hybrid work. There’s something called a turnover rate. Is it efficient to a company to constantly have turnovers? That they all quit from the same issues? At what point is employees quitting constantly and for the same reasons not seen as inefficient and wrong?
• And lastly: the exaggeration of growth. Nevermind the executive wanting more growth so that he can pay himself 2x-5x what the employees earn.

Conclusion: the current economic system rewards inefficient executives, even though those inefficienties are absorbed by the lower level employees, and sometimes by consumers. Plus American working culture overlooks the incompetence of the top brass too much.

YolkFolk

Tingle
Famicoins
I’m sorry, but how exactly did Andre abuse people? By not paying them enough? By not putting a hard cap on their hours? If there is more to the story, then let me know and I’ll gladly change my tune here. But at the end of the day, no one is being forced to work for him. If Andre sucks as an owner and no one is gaining quality experience, building their brand, or benefiting financially, then they can leave and do other things.

Derrick, Ash, & Steve all felt that working for Andre was no longer a value add so they went and started GVC. Their exits have hurt the Game Explain brand accordingly. But guess what? You reap what you sow, and by not valuing his talent, Andre has hurt his product in the long run. I just don’t think this makes him a “detestable” person and I think the hate for him is a bit too extreme.

You don't think this is toxic?

From Derrick's statement after leaving GX:

Around September, he asked me to join a voice call where he wanted to discuss me at GameXplain going forward. I popped in at the appointed time and he asked to be on camera. It turns out he had prepared a PowerPoint where he ran down several things. How COVID had affected ad rates and lowered income, how he was still paying me the same despite this, how I was fighting him when updates had to be done, and ultimately, how I was bringing in less money for the channel then what I was being paid. It ended with a question of whether I was still loyal and still wanted an official full-time position. Again, with a baby on the way, I was scared to the point of meekness because I felt I couldn't put Aimee and the baby in that position.

meatbag

happiness
Famicoins
how exactly did Andre abuse people? By not paying them enough?
Um, yes, making your employees work without appropriate compensation is in fact abuse.

If Andre sucks as an owner and no one is gaining quality experience, building their brand, or benefiting financially, then they can leave and do other things
There are many reasons why people can find it difficult to “leave and do other things.” Like @YolkFolk mentioned above, Derrick was anxious about leaving GX because he could be out of an income stream at a delicate time.

Captain Falcon

Octorok
Famicoins
Please refrain from excusing abusive working conditions with whataboutisms and generalizations. – Tangerine_Cookie, big lantern ghost, Dardan Sandiego, MissingNo.
By not paying them enough and overworking them. That's, like, literally the entire complaint. I genuinely don't see what you're missing? You understand that it's abusive and wrong to consistently demand more of your employees than they can sustainably put out, right? That crunch is both a failure of leadership and of character?
Most people in the US are overworked and underpaid. Those factors aren’t unique to Game Explain.

But again, how did Andre force all these people to take these jobs with such shit pay? And why did they endure this abuse for so long? I recall Steve stating he was effectively making less than minimum wage (which is awful), but why did he agree to such a low base salary in the first place?

I think we need to acknowledge that not all jobs are going to be equal in terms of pay & hours. If you want to cover video games for a YouTube channel, it’s probably going to suck unless you’re an owner. The crunch you refer is unfortunately an inherent part of the job when you need to provide real-time updates on key happenings in the space as well as provide timely reviews of games. It doesn’t make it any less brutal, but it’s not easy to avoid. And as for the pay, a lot of people want these type of jobs because of their love of video games and working for an a big platform like Game Explain allows you to build up your brand rapidly. As such, the pay will likely suck, but these jobs do come with other benefits. And that brand building can be huge if you’re hoping to one day start your own channel.

All that said, I’m not here to condone Andre’s business practices, especially when it comes with how he dealt with the original crew. I prefer the Kinda Funny model where they clearly value their talent and make it worth their while to stick around. My main point is I don’t believe any of this makes Andre a “detestable” person. Game Explain is his life blood and owning a small business isn’t always easy to manage. And in this particular case, I think it’s a bit unfair for Jake to throw shade at Andre for long hours and unfulfilling work when the expectations of the job should have been well known, especially after what went down with the original crew.

YolkFolk

Tingle
Famicoins
Most people in the US are overworked and underpaid. Those factors aren’t unique to Game Explain.

But again, how did Andre force all these people to take these jobs with such shit pay? And why did they endure this abuse for so long? I recall Steve stating he was effectively making less than minimum wage (which is awful), but why did he agree to such a low base salary in the first place?

I think we need to acknowledge that not all jobs are going to be equal in terms of pay & hours. If you want to cover video games for a YouTube channel, it’s probably going to suck unless you’re an owner. The crunch you refer is unfortunately an inherent part of the job when you need to provide real-time updates on key happenings in the space as well as provide timely reviews of games. It doesn’t make it any less brutal, but it’s not easy to avoid. And as for the pay, a lot of people want these type of jobs because of their love of video games and working for an a big platform like Game Explain allows you to build up your brand rapidly. As such, the pay will likely suck, but these jobs do come with other benefits. And that brand building can be huge if you’re hoping to one day start your own channel.

All that said, I’m not here to condone Andre’s business practices, especially when it comes with how he dealt with the original crew. I prefer the Kinda Funny model where they clearly value their talent and make it worth their while to stick around. My main point is I don’t believe any of this makes Andre a “detestable” person. Game Explain is his life blood and owning a small business isn’t always easy to manage. And in this particular case, I think it’s a bit unfair for Jake to throw shade at Andre for long hours and unfulfilling work when the expectations of the job should have been well known, especially after what went down with the original crew.

See my last post.

AR15mex

Boo
Famicoins
Mmhh... I'm 37 (I know old). I have seen my fair share of employee to supervisor interactions as a business owner, and W2 employee.

With the previous problem that Andre had, I think it was several people, not just one person. This new complain is definitely against him.

Andre's response letter is somewhat well redacted (in the sense that he remains calm) to addresses Jake's statements.

Whether these are true or not, the best thing Jake could do is just leave due to the work ethic differences.

The only "problem" that I see, is why the other crew has not also claim similar issues? I believe they have been there for a while.

Based on both statements, it seems that both the employer and the employee have different POVs about workload, and reward and that's it. I do believe Jake's gamexplain content showed more on my feed than his former peers, but that could be the algorithm.

I wonder if Andre has any documentation to fight Jake's claims. He mentions employees confidentiality, but he could fight for defamation and Jake could set a more formal complain with the State's workers comp or DOL.

As a final word, I like Jake's content, and I hope to see him soon.

Beanstar40

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins
I've unsubscribed from gamexplain as soon they talk about Zippo's recent "leaks".
Unfortunatley that’s just the state of being a nintendo content creator. There are so few actual news stories or announcements that you need to grasp at straws for income

Last edited:

Razgriz

I ask of you: are you my Master?
Pronouns
she.
Famicoins
And never mind YouTube purposely consuming more of your PC's RAM if you're using an adblocker
Those were Adblock Plus (and derivatives, the Eyeo adblock engine is used in a lot of adblockers of questionable quality) bugs and weren't the fault of Google (surprisingly). You shouldn't be using ABP to begin with if you're using an adblocker, they're one of those skeezy "acceptable ads" types.

Make use of uBlock Origin (and only uBlock Origin, intermixing adblockers gives no benefits and can cause performance issues if two content blockers try to deny the same thing) instead.

Lord Azrael

Starman
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins

Considering you don't even spell the channel name right, I'll assume you aren't very well versed in its historical situation, but there were complaints last time from employees that André would keep deferring raises, and even forget to pay them on time.

Also, it's not that easy to switch jobs. In fact you sound pretty callous suggesting it. Look around you - video game layoffs are at an all time high right now (yes, including media organizations). News jobs are NOT a dime a dozen in this industry, and certainly not high paying ones.

Additionally, the old crew are all good friends, if them forming GVG together is anything to go by. You might hate your job but be reluctant to leave because you like your team, or worse, feel that you'd be screwing them over by jumping ship. A very common feeling that I have no doubt André took advantage of.

Anyway, maybe go back to the Era thread and start by reading (rereading?) all the former employee statements in the threadmarks.

Dekuman

Starman
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Famicoins
I can see there being work discord and impression that effort being put in is unequal for the same pay. But I think it's a bit of a red herring he put in there.

That said what happened to GameXplain's access to Nintendo PR?

isaacmaltes

Octorok
Pronouns
any
Famicoins
The other unfortunate part is that i’m not sure GVG is doing so well.

Recently, I keep seeing posts from Derrick, Jon, etc on Twitter trying to branch out to other avenues to financially sustain themselves.

While this is great for them, and I wish them the best in their journey, (seriously, Jon could make a fantastic VA)
I also wish they didn’t have to do that.

YouTube is actively punishing long form, meaningful content while at the same time promoting lazy cashgrab AI-produced shorts.

It’s so fucking sad.
This kind of stuff will just reinforce Andre’s thoughts that he is making the right decision and short-length content that isn’t worthwhile will continue to be pumped from the GameXplain factory because Google encourages it.

meatbag

happiness
Famicoins
Recently, I keep seeing posts from Derrick, Jon, etc on Twitter trying to branch out to other avenues to financially sustain themselves
They've been maintaining day jobs the entire time they've been running GVG, so I do take that it means GVG alone isn't sustainable for them.

isaacmaltes

Octorok
Pronouns
any
Famicoins
Not to double post but, look what I found. This was a little over two months before this happened.

I’m not sure what this has to do with it.
Either way, you have to wonder who that “other employee” that Jake/Andre keep referring to was, Joey or Tris? Or Tom?

browneyes84

Moblin
Famicoins
This logic doesn't really work when every single person leaving has declared how bad the working conditions are and how at times there was behaviour best described as bullying.

It's like getting a press release from Embracer after their 6th company destruction and declaring 'Always good to get both sides of the story". Yeah, you can say that after maybe 1-2 instances but after that you form a pattern of behaviour and actions where it should be clear to anyone that Andre doesn't treat people well.

I advise you to seek out the statements of previous members.

I've seen the statements of previous members thanks, and I'll re-iterate, it's always good to get two sides to a story. You can then form your own opinions however you see fit after that.

ngpdrew

From the Rafters
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins
I'm not going to accuse anyone of anything but any suggestion that the employee should have "known better" before taking the job reads like victim blaming. Like, sometimes people apply for a job that they know is going to be tough and the employer makes it a lot worse. I don't watch GameXplain but this Andre guy doesn't seem to be especially supportive of his employees, and sure he mades the demand of the job worse than they need to be.

Aether

Tingle
Famicoins

Recently, I keep seeing posts from Derrick, Jon, etc on Twitter trying to branch out to other avenues to financially sustain themselves.

While this is great for them, and I wish them the best in their journey, (seriously, Jon could make a fantastic VA)

YouTube is actively punishing long form, meaningful content while at the same time promoting lazy cashgrab AI-produced shorts.

It’s so fucking sad.
This kind of stuff will just reinforce Andre’s thoughts that he is making the right decision and short-length content that isn’t worthwhile will continue to be pumped from the GameXplain factory because Google encourages it.
It's a friend's channel that's not to the max with sponsorship and filler videos.
It's to be expected. Just for patreon they would need to have a really broad audience, but they just don't have that. With what, a group of already older men, mostly Nintendo focused, in a rather expensive country. (All us as far as I remember)

nobody is entitled to live from what they do with their friends if it doesn't provide enough value for people to financially support it or doesn't reach a big enough audience.

I find it great that they are aware of it and try to balance outside work and how much they can contribute to the channel.
It's down to earth instead of trying to force it working and poisoning the chemistry/producing filler content/selling out.
One problem Nintendo channels had during the switch days: the classic content is done, every channel emptied out the oldschool mass audience Nintendo topics, so you get more niche stuff (weird upscalers, some EU specific import stories or exclusives, etc). And I know, it's not just Nintendo. But those retro reviews and analysis and retrospectives bolstered a lot of those channels when there was less to talk about, and Nintendo reducing the overall directs dint help either. Just think, one of GXs biggest growth periods was with weekly smash screenshot discussions.

I could see a short therm (1-2 years) upswing when switch 2 comes out, a lot of content since Nintendo will have a lot to announce and push.

Captain Falcon

Octorok
Famicoins
For continuing to defend mistreatment in the workplace and pushing the blame onto the affected employee, you have been banned for three days. -xghost777, MondoMega, Party Sklar
You don't think this is toxic?

From Derrick's statement after leaving GX:

Around September, he asked me to join a voice call where he wanted to discuss me at GameXplain going forward. I popped in at the appointed time and he asked to be on camera. It turns out he had prepared a PowerPoint where he ran down several things. How COVID had affected ad rates and lowered income, how he was still paying me the same despite this, how I was fighting him when updates had to be done, and ultimately, how I was bringing in less money for the channel then what I was being paid. It ended with a question of whether I was still loyal and still wanted an official full-time position. Again, with a baby on the way, I was scared to the point of meekness because I felt I couldn't put Aimee and the baby in that position.
I’m guessing we’re cut from two different clothes, because I’m not sure I find that all that toxic unless you assume that Andre was lying about the financial concerns. I mean, what had transpired prior to this conversation? Did Derrick demand more money and express displeasure with the hours? It’s fair that Derrick complained about those factors, but I also don’t see why it’s unfair for Andre addresses them from the perspective of the business.

The point about being “loyal” is the only thing that gives me any major cause for concern. I think playing that card and not keeping things objective (i.e. these are the requirements of the job and/or I can’t pay you more because of certain issues) is not cool since there was obviously more of a real relationship amongst these guys. If it comes off as it’s written, then that leans on the douchey side of things IMO.

And no doubt the entire situation sucked for Derrick and the timing obviously put him in a bind, but you can’t really blame your employer for that. If the owner is being unreasonable, then you need to proactively look for other job options before you find yourself in this situation. I am going through a similar situation right now in terms of job satisfaction and have no one to blame but myself for not have started looking sooner for a job with better work/life balance.

Captain Falcon

Octorok
Famicoins
Um, yes, making your employees work without appropriate compensation is in fact abuse.

There are many reasons why people can find it difficult to “leave and do other things.” Like @YolkFolk mentioned above, Derrick was anxious about leaving GX because he could be out of an income stream at a delicate time.
Are you suggesting their compensation was appropriate when they started and changed over time? If so, when did this become an issue and what caused their compensation to no longer be fair?

The Cornballer

Raticate
Famicoins
For dismissing mistreatment in the workplace and accusing the affected employee of creating a "hit piece" against their employer, you have been banned for three days. - meatbag, Mondo Mega, xghost777, Party Sklar
If we go by Andre, Jake pretty much overworked himself. But since there's precedent of GameXplain behaving almost like a content sweatshop, it wouldn't surprise me if this is the founder covering up himself, or it's a case of both things happening.
It's almost like Jake learned from GVG that you can take advantage of your previous employer, shiv him in the back and get rubes to subscribe to your new channel in droves. The hit piece against Andre was pathetic

SammyJ9

Weeb of the Rings
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins

It’s so fucking sad.
I'm hoping that a lot of it is just that GVG's audience is primarily Nintendo fans (even if they cover plenty of other things too) and Nintendo is pretty slow right now as everyone holds their breath for Switch 2. I have to imagine that once Switch 2 is actually announced and things ramp up toward the new console, that will really help and improve a lot of Nintendo and gaming channels in general.

That said, that's still just a temporary upswing and not a consistent, sustainable thing. Youtube really needs to get its shit together and do better for the creators that actually provide good videos

Christo750

Source of the Right Arm
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Famicoins

It’s so fucking sad.
The bolded might be true but also consider just how many fucking gaming YouTube channels there are doing the same thing these days. Absolute market oversaturation. I'm sure what's happening to GVG is happening to a lot of other channels. Look what happened to Easy Allies in the span of a year. And that was thought to be one of the tentpole channels!

Kit and Krysta just put out a video about their 2024 plans and they're talking about videos they're going to make and they're gunna start doing spoilercasts and news shows and I really feel like that's going to be too much for them, and it gets away from the reason why people find them interesting. Why do we need a 40th channel to do a spoiler show? There is no more room for this.

Regarding Jake and the discussion above, when looking for ANY job, among the many things you consider about a job, you must consider why the position is available in the first place. My very abridged point from my first post in this thread was I don't know why you even apply to GameXplain in 2023 or 2022 or whenever. The writing was on the wall. Especially in an entertainment content industry. It was always demanding and it never payed well.

I’m guessing we’re cut from two different clothes, because I’m not sure I find that all that toxic unless you assume that Andre was lying about the financial concerns. I mean, what had transpired prior to this conversation? Did Derrick demand more money and express displeasure with the hours? It’s fair that Derrick complained about those factors, but I also don’t see why it’s unfair for Andre addresses them from the perspective of the business.

The point about being “loyal” is the only thing that gives me any major cause for concern. I think playing that card and not keeping things objective (i.e. these are the requirements of the job and/or I can’t pay you more because of certain issues) is not cool since there was obviously more of a real relationship amongst these guys. If it comes off as it’s written, then that leans on the douchey side of things IMO.

And no doubt the entire situation sucked for Derrick and the timing obviously put him in a bind, but you can’t really blame your employer for that. If the owner is being unreasonable, then you need to proactively look for other job options before you find yourself in this situation. I am going through a similar situation right now in terms of job satisfaction and have no one to blame but myself for not have started looking sooner for a job with better work/life balance.
I'm going through a similar situation to the bolded. and personal responsibility is for sure a part of it, but it isn't the whole part.

As a personal anecdote, I worked for my brother-in-law for nearly 10 years. it wasn't a content creation job but it was a client-based video editing job for a wedding videography company, so similar workload. The pay was fine in the beginning (I started the job when I was 21 out of school) but over the first few years it became more and more unsustainable. To the point where I'd have to film the events in addition to editing them to make ends meet, and since the events were weddings, it ate into my weekends. I learned after a while that everybody in my industry got paid more than me. By like 3-4x. So any feeling of being overworked always starts with being underpaid. That's where the toxicity starts, make no mistake. BUT. That happened to me year 4-5. I fought for a raise that wound up being well below what I was asking for. I stuck with the company because things started to get better but it all ricocheted back a year later. That should've been my moment to leave and I didn't. And he was family; someone I thought would look out for me. It took my sister divorcing him to finally distance myself from this and the fact that the writing was so clearly on the wall and I didn't leave earlier, means it became my responsibility after a while. Didn't have to start that way to end that way.

I don't say this to give much credence to Andre's side of the story, but to your point, ultimately it SHOULD reflect poorly on Andre and the company as a whole, because the buck did ultimately start with him. But it won't, so long as people continue to go to work there despite everyone's issues being pretty straightforward and in line with each other. To which I agree with you; Jake should've done his research.

A post of yours got flagged for "whataboutism" and I really feel like that's an unfair reduction of the conversation. Idk about the rest of the world but the US job market is maybe the most hostile and unsteady it ever has been. All different sects of private industry are moving out of step with government regulation and it seems like no one can get a handle on it. It's the fucking wild west out here. There is a good, truly universal lesson to take from all of this; one I wish wasn't the case, but everybody needs to stay vigilant. Do your due diligence and look into the company you're applying for. Especially in the content creation world. That industry is exploding and no one can see the future of it at the moment. Jake's situation was tragic but avoidable. Don't let it get that far!

The good thing is Jake left that environment which he probably should've left earlier. He's clearly due for better things.

NateDrake

Chain Chomp
Famicoins
They've been maintaining day jobs the entire time they've been running GVG, so I do take that it means GVG alone isn't sustainable for them.
GVG is full-time job for some of them -- such as Derrick, which is why he is now branching out because his output on GVG isn't enough to sustain his day to day living expenses.

LiamRobertson

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
he/him
Famicoins
I am even more confident than I was initially that Andre is full of shit. He is mischaracterising a lot of events in his response.

OP
OP
Graystripe2000
Pronouns
He/him
Famicoins
With now 5 former GX employees coming out about bad conditions over there, it makes me wonder, can Andre be any worse?

Hocot8

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him
Famicoins
Damn so it's Jake's fault he was overworked and he's bad for plugging his new stuff so he can eat and live under a roof. Just wow lmao.

Anyone criticizing the latter would do the exact damn same.

ziggyrivers

thunder
Pronouns
He/him/his
Famicoins
Just because a current employee feels content doesn't mean the allegations of two former employees aren't true. And the tweet said about not getting paid. The issue isn't on time payments, it's general working conditions.

isaacmaltes

Octorok
Pronouns
any
Famicoins
Just because a current employee feels content doesn't mean the allegations of two former employees aren't true. And the tweet said about not getting paid. The issue isn't on time payments, it's general working conditions.
There’s also the angle of …well of course someone who is currently working there wouldn’t badmouth the boss

Top Bottom