• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Serious Now-former GameXplain member alleges heavy crunch, low pay. Again.

GVG is full-time job for some of them -- such as Derrick, which is why he is now branching out because his output on GVG isn't enough to sustain his day to day living expenses.
Thanks for the clarification. Hope it works out for Derrick then.

Are you suggesting their compensation was appropriate when they started and changed over time?
No, and I don't know how you parsed that from what I said.

There is a good, truly universal lesson to take from all of this; one I wish wasn't the case, but everybody needs to stay vigilant
It is true that everybody should be vigilant. It does not change that mistreatment in the workplace should not be tolerated.

I don't want to make assumptions or anything, but that sounds really unfair. Doing a 1-2 hours podcast for years and during the weekend for no pay at all doesn't make sense. Especially when there are many people expected to make some time so their schedules align. And (in my opinion at least) I see many donations being read out during the podcast.
No one joined the podcast with the belief or illusion of compensation, so it's a tricky situation to navigate years later. Once one takes notice of the donation amounts or sponsor spots, it's natural to wonder.

It's basically why the Patreon came to be. Whether or not the Patreon ever generates enough interest to pay what some would consider fair is something we will discover in time.

I've come across GX's predictions a few times and Jake used to make me laugh. I wish him all the best, just as I'm happy to support GVG, which is an absolutely wonderful, qualitative, passionate, endearing channel that deserves the best for the great people working there.

The world of work is getting harder and harder, more and more violent, Everywhere around me, all social backgrounds, all professions, all ages, all genders, I see people suffering more and more, and being asked more and more to keep quiet about it.

I'm glad we're talking here about the awfully bad social situation of the video game industry in general, content creation included. It would be great if this could help shed light on the absolutely terrifying accentuation of the casualization of people, the hardening of working conditions and the exponential violence of the rhythms of work.

Sometimes I wish people would get more involved, more agitated about these issues. It affects everyone, no one can ignore it. We can talk about André all day long. It's pointless. The only real issue is the legal framework that should protect individuals and prevent abuse. This framework doesn't exist in the United States, and elsewhere, it's being destroyed, faster and faster, too. And there's a terrible feeling that there's nothing we can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom