• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album remains one of the best performances to this day

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him
Chances are this is not a controversial opinion in the slightest, but I wanted to make this appreciation thread after having listened to it front to back recently, which I used to do quite often. To put this into context, I am not even the biggest Nirvana fan. But there is something special about this performance, so there is still a lot to appreciate for me.

I do not think there is a single bad piece of music on this album. Their own songs — naturally — sound completely different from the studio versions, and in many cases just straight up better. The cover songs they did are equally great. You can just feel that they put a lot of soul into this.

Here are some of my favourites:

About a Girl nicely sets the tone for the concert.

The Man Who Sold the World is a great cover version of what is originally a David Bowie song, but is most likely better known than the original.

Pennyroyal Tea is just a very intimate performance.

Lake of Fire is another cover version, originally being a song by the Meat Puppets.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night is an old folk song, also known as In the Pines, and the finish to a great concert.

I am curious to hear Fami's thoughts on this. Feel free to share your own favourites!

The Man Who Sold the World is a great cover version of what is originally a David Bowie song, but is most likely better known than the original.

Eh, i think the Midge Ure cover is far better known than even the Nirvana version nowadays. Thanks to it appearing in Metal Gear Solid V

Eh, i think the Midge Ure cover is far better known than even the Nirvana version nowadays. Thanks to it appearing in Metal Gear Solid V

May very well be the case. Probably depends on whether you played that game. I would not contest that claim anyway, all I said was that Nirvana's version is probably better known than the original.

I'm usually not a huge cover song fan, but I love both these covers of The Man Who Sold the World. Nirvana's was actually the first I heard, until I discovered Bowie's deeper catalog. And the Midge Ure cover is incredible too. Such an awesome part of the game you spoilered for some reason lol

Back
Top Bottom