• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Nintendon't want to free the nipple?

Afaik this game’s problem was that it wasn’t rated by the ESRB, not that it had bare breasts.

Story sounds strange. I‘d wait for an official statement from Nintendo.

The double standard you describe OP is unfortunate but nothing new, it happens all over western centric media.

Though I‘m not in the slightest a fan of those games, as long as they are getting rated for the appropriate age, they should be allowed to release on a platform

I've added a Rumour tag and a question mark to the title after doing a bit more digging on Twitter and the comments sections of news reports.

Thread title made me thing this was an early entry into the garbage galaxy tournament whose tag took the shitposting to the next level.

If i had to guess it's less "don't free the nipple" and more "we don't want to deal with the people who can't stand anything bare". If it's true at all of course.

Ultimately, this is what rating boards are for. Let them do their job, give games with lewd content the fitting age restriction and have parents take some goddamn reponsibility that their kids don't consume such media.

...were they allowed before?

I clearly am missing some hidden gems in my switch game list.
I haven't played any of them but some of the games from the publisher making the claim that "uncensored boobs" are no longer allowed actually does have some titles with female-presenting nudity.

I have been aware that Sony has rejected games or requested modifications from publishers so whenever I purchase a visual novel I always Google to see if it's been altered from its original release as some games have been butchered to the point of rendering the story incomprehensible.

I read in a comments section that Shuntaro Furukawa allegedly said Nintendo will accept any game that has been rated in the region it is being published.

Last edited:
Nintendo's standard seems to be, "so long as the major ratings boards don't take issue (which means AO in the US and classification refusal in Germany), we won't stop it from being released". My bets are that this game got an AO or something of the sort and the publisher is trying to spin it as a Nintendo thing.

Also I looked it up and the Steam page is blocked in Germany. Sooooo...

I get that the title is a joke, but Free The Nipple is about women's rights and indecency laws that stop them from being allowed to be topless in public - because women being topless isn't inherently lewd. I don't think people were campaigning under that slogan for a male gaze-y softcore hentai game called 'Hot Tentacles Shooter' where anime women are molested by aliens.

I get that the title is a joke, but Free The Nipple is about women's rights and indecency laws that stop them from being allowed to be topless in public - because women being topless isn't inherently lewd. I don't think people were campaigning under that slogan for a male gaze-y softcore hentai game called 'Hot Tentacles Shooter' where anime women are molested by aliens.
I like how there's a 50:50 chance that you play as the molesting aliens vs play as a guy saving women from molesting aliens

Either way

🤮

I am aware of the campaign as my ex-partner campaigned in the UK for the cause.

The title is a joke, a play on the fact that female-presenting upper body nudity is usually a no-go, regardless of context (the soft-core hentai you described or just simply a topless person) but male-presenting upper body nudity is treated as absolutely fine (whether it's sexualised in games like Kotadama or just a famous Italian plumber zipping along the beach with his nipples out).

Eurogamer going after the clicks with a hasty publication before Nintendo has commented

Right now we just have a claim from an attention-hungry publisher

Having looked up some of the publisher's oeuvre, I can say there's probably little loss in this. While I'm not opposed to fanservice-heavy games or even outright nudity, their output seems to vary from "OK-ish" to "this looks cheap as fuck and the artwork is probably just grabbed from PIXIV (and other sites specializing in drawn erotica)", which is the sort of stuff you'd usually find in the depths of Steam and their inconsistent acceptance policies.

I wonder if that means a potential gta v port would be a no go, due to the topless women featured in that game, also what about the witcher 3?

Yeah, but "I want to see some titties" isn't as defensible of an opinion as "double standards, am I right ladies??" on an ostensibly left-leaning video game forum, and men are aware of this.

The title is a joke, a play on the fact that female-presenting upper body nudity is usually a no-go, regardless of context (the soft-core hentai you described or just simply a topless person) but male-presenting upper body nudity is treated as absolutely fine (whether it's sexualised in games like Kotadama or just a famous Italian plumber zipping along the beach with his nipples out).

From what I can see the male upper body nudity in Kotadama doesn't render the character with nipples, which is pretty common (but not absolute!) when fan service is involved and a man is appearing shirtless for the benefit of women and men attracted to men. You're more likely to see male anime nipples when it's non-sexual and designed to appeal to men's power fantasies (musclebound DBZ characters, for instance). Trust me, male-presenting nipples are something I care a lot about!

FWIW, I'm not opposed to fan service or ecchi, the title just gave me pause and made me laugh because I've never really considered 'free the nipple' in...this context lol.

I like how there's a 50:50 chance that you play as the molesting aliens vs play as a guy saving women from molesting aliens

I looked it up and you're saving them. It's very heroic, the player character is a woman, and I'm not gonna thrust a gender upon the admittedly phallic tentacles so I think it might even pass the Bechdel test.

I wonder if that means a potential gta v port would be a no go, due to the topless women featured in that game, also what about the witcher 3?
Honestly, reading into this without wishing to go too deep into searching for certain content, it seems really inconsistent? Like I can see talk of a game called Waifu Uncovered (groan) being pulled from the eShop in Japan for topless female nudity, but I can also find an example of a game called Hentai vs Evil (groan) being supposedly uncensored on Switch but censored on PS4. I assume it comes down to regional differences between certification boards and possibly context.

It's a wild wide world out there of what objectification constitutes obscenity and what is totally fine. It's also so hard to gauge what is in a game and what is modded - I was intrigued to see what nudity there is in The Witcher but Google is showing me Little Geralt of Rivia and I don't think he's in the game as it ships from the publisher. 😭

From what I can see the male upper body nudity in Kotadama doesn't render the character with nipples, which is pretty common (but not absolute!) when fan service is involved and a man is appearing shirtless for the benefit of women and men attracted to men. You're more likely to see male anime nipples when it's non-sexual and designed to appeal to men's power fantasies (musclebound DBZ characters, for instance). Trust me, male-presenting nipples are something I care a lot about!

FWIW, I'm not opposed to fan service or ecchi, the title just gave me pause and made me laugh because I've never really considered 'free the nipple' in...this context lol.
You're absolutely right about Kotadama! I obviously wasn't paying enough attention while matching 3 jewels together. 😅

The lack of nipples on shirtless men is something I'll no doubt notice a lot more of now.

Sorry if I seemed a little defensive.

Topics like these can be a little sensitive as ecchi/fanservice-heavy games are niche and so often disregarded as "no big loss" or shovelware. A lot might be the latter but I always found it refreshing that you can now purchase a game called Hentai Uni on a console from a manufacturer that used to have devs editing out crucifixes and calling alcohol "juice". And as they say: one person's trash is another person's treasure.

You're absolutely right about Kotadama! I obviously wasn't paying enough attention while matching 3 jewels together. 😅
Biggest surprise of this thread for me was that it even had match three puzzle games. I thought it was purely a visual novel and I did not know it was horny.

If this is true, Mario Odyssey being removed from the eshop as we speak.

I thought this was an issue with being unrated rather than content.

Topics like these can be a little sensitive as ecchi/fanservice-heavy games are niche and so often disregarded as "no big loss" or shovelware.
If I came off like that because of my word choice, I'm sorry.

I generally agree that there is unfair dismissal for whatever reason of fanservice-heavy games, but there is also (unfortunately) a cottage industry of game makers with cheap, casual fare that frequently releases large amounts of dreck with some seriously questionable ethics in regard to content ownership. Steam has this problem where games titled something along the lines of "Hentai Puzzle" flood the store page, but quality (that often have more to offer than just fanservice as well!) works get the kibosh for some reason or another.

Yeah I remember this publisher. These games are very simple in most cases with the puzzle type or shooting games, and I was actually surprised they were available in the first place (granted none of them actually reaches AO as usually you only get some static image with an anime type lady showing boobs).

As @MSnap mentions, the pubisher here is not being honest, the game is not rated in the ESRB / PEGI, and there are other games with front nudity that were released on september (only in Europe btw, @Joseki already documented this in reddit (some of the links are NSFW)

Edit: Updated it, didn't know Joseki was an user here, great job

Last edited:
Yeah I remember this publisher. These games are very simple in most cases with the puzzle type or shooting games, and I was actually surprised they were available in the first place (granted none of them actually reaches AO as usually you only get some static image with an anime type lady showing boobs).

As @MSnap mentions, the pubisher here is not being honest, the game is not rated in the ESRB / PEGI, and there are other games with front nudity that were released on september (only in Europe btw), an user already documented this in reddit (some of the links are NSFW)

rick.jpg

@Joseki

The second edit on Joseki's Reddit post... 😭

And now I get why I see online stores and games deal pages sometimes being like "yep we have the European physical release of Hot Girls vs Demons 3: Undress Gun Paradise" and why people care about owning physical copies of these games.

Yeah, barring any further information to the contrary, I'm just going to assume they're actually having trouble with ratings boards and trying to blame Nintendo for it. That seems more likely given the history on the matter.

there's a bit more to the CERO thing, actually. (this will probably the last time i ever post about horny content, so please enjoy it! :coffee:)

the switch, in japan-only. got a series of ports for the classic(?) strip mahjong series "Super Real Mahjong".
as noted, CERO is fairly strict on nudity. so the ports were censored to remove said content.
however, there were some bits that they missed. so the game actually had to be pulled for a while to fix this.

as for nudity in general, BMX XXX rather infamously featured breasts on Gamecube, which were then censored on Playstation 2. though it wasn't always this welcoming.

the wiiware game "Sexy Poker", which was essentially like that mahjong game but with Poker, was straight up banned in Australia for rewarding the player with topless nudity. the developers had to delay the game worldwide to remove the final stage of stripping, and the original uncensored version wouldn't resurface until years later thanks to the now defunct preservation site Obscure Gamers.

Back
Top Bottom