• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo wants to ensure the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth as possible

Would be hilarious if not. After all the hemming and hawing about how Nintendo is hurting themselves with their outdated hardware (see the recent thread on Nintendo making a powerful console) if it turned out that the console that didn't cater to the tech bros underperformed.

I'll buy it of course. Not going to complain about a more powerful Switch as long as they don't compromise of the Switch's strengths to achieve it.

I say that from gauging the general consumer and not us gaming nerds. The fact that the Switch reached so many casuals with 2-3 year old hardware at launch shows that most people don't care for resolution or performance. We already have confirmation that it will be stronger, but who knows if they don't flip some other gimmicks to make it "innovative" or "creative"

But we shall see if they simply go iterative.

unknown.png

Comment from last year. No reason to be concerned about BC.
It’s concerning that it was still being discussed and was not always a given or requirement.

It’s concerning that it was still being discussed and was not always a given or requirement.

With Nintendo?

Nah.

Nintendo actually cancelled the gameboy during it's development. This? This'll buff out.

I'm I the only who swears they already heard this 'concerned about transitioning to a new platform' line of thought in an investor meeting months ago?

With Nintendo?

Nah.

Nintendo actually cancelled the gameboy during it's development. This? This'll buff out.

I'm I the only who swears they already heard this 'concerned about transitioning to a new platform' line of thought in an investor meeting months ago?
They have mentioned a few times how they always like to be prepared for a failure. Not sure if I’ve heard this particular phrasing before but I’ll wait for the official translation.

As to the requirement, I just think of other systems like the Wii and the Wii U where they had very strict requirements from the start regarding certain features and the size of the system.

The Switch is fantastic. I’m down for a Super Switch. Bring it the fuck on. Fully backwards compatible. Another six years of awesome hybrid gaming. Buy a Super Switch game and only have a Switch? You play it on the cloud. Users migrate to the new platform.

I don’t understand why Nintendo has to be weird all of the time. The Switch to Nintendo is like the iPhone to Apple. It can’t lose. Just keep iterating with it. Make weird peripherals to scratch that itch. IDK, just having all of your studios in sync and firing greatest hits is really nice when game development is insanely expensive and the industry is so tumultuous.

Make the next Switch compatible with a first party Flip-Grip solution for vertical screen orientation. That'd allow for some gameplay innovation in addition to DS and 3DS emulation.

Another thing they could do is sell joycons with different button layouts like everybody was hoping for when the concept was revealed.

Or an improved VR headset with a slot for the system.
In short, create a bunch of optional peripherals that change the way you play but have a marginal effect on the price of the base system.

official translation
Official statement:

Furukawa:
We have already announced some software titles that will be released through next spring. Unlike in the past, even though Nintendo Switch has gone through five years since its launch, there is still a rich lineup of new titles to be released. The biggest reason for this is that, thanks to the smooth launch of Nintendo Switch itself, we have been able to concentrate our development resources on one platform. On the other hand, looking back on past experiences of generational change such as the change from the Wii and Nintendo DS eras, we recognize that one of our tasks is ensuring the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth as possible. To that end, we are focusing on building long-term relationships with our consumers (through Nintendo Accounts). While continuing to release new Nintendo Switch software for consumers to enjoy, we aim to maintain relationships across hardware generations through services that utilize Nintendo Accounts and by providing opportunities for them to experience our IP through other non-gaming channels.

Make the next Switch compatible with a first party Flip-Grip solution for vertical screen orientation. That'd allow for some gameplay innovation in addition to DS and 3DS emulation.

Another thing they could do is sell joycons with different button layouts like everybody was hoping for when the concept was revealed.

In short, create a bunch of optional peripherals that change the way you play but have a marginal effect on the price of the base system.
I think it'd be cool if each game came with its own unique controller. Like Metroid gets an arm cannon, Mario Kart gets a steering wheel, Pikmin gets a whistle. I can't see it actually happening though.

Yup, I fully agree on everything you just said. They should aim for unprecedented customization & Accessibility with the Switch 2.
Market it as the most versatile gaming device ever. Sell all types of custom shells, cases, docks & Joy Cons.

I think I’d be the perfect way to build on the crazy momentum they’ve built with Switch V1.
You know how much ridiculous bank they’d make if everyone could have their own unique Switch? Especially in this day in age of social media.

What a surprise, the official translation is completely different and the fan translation was wrong!

And this is why you should ALWAYS wait for the official English translation, instead of jumping the gun and trusting dubious sources.

How did "as smooth as possible" become "a major concern"?
I think the difference is the part of them "recognising" the need for a smooth transition vs them "concerned" for the transition.

Based on the context and perhaps the wording in Japanese, i can see how the initial translation turned out the way it did. But people jumped the gun too quick.

I think it was a fine translation.

I took "concern" to mean its "matrer of importance" definition.

Not something to be "concerned" about. It's not like Nintendo was telling us we need to be concerned.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Nintendo talked about the ‘reset’ when transitioning to new generations being an area of concern a long time ago. Hearing it again now is probably just due reassurance to investors - ie. Switch may be getting long in the tooth, but understand we won’t be starting from square one like we have in the past

you know people will not read it that way. and they didn't
Let me rephrase—in terms of the purpose of translation, technically it's bad if it's misconstruing the original meaning due to word choice, even if it's technically correct.

Source

I think the difference between Switch and Wii/DS is that the latter had far less engaged audiences compared to the Switch, which had a vibrant and active, healthy install base even five years in. As long as Nintendo doesn’t call a fresh reset this time around, I feel like they’ll be fine
I hope this means they'll be sticking with Nvidia with architecture for a while. Developers having prior CUDA knowledge has been nothing but a boon for the Switch.

Much has changed, even since Nintendo's last hardware transition to the Switch. They can't really afford it to not be very smooth at this point. Since their traditional safety net is gone, they'll probably use the current Switch as one by having a much longer and more extensive cross-gen period than normal, with Switch 1 continuing to get games in at least some capacity for quite some time. Much like their competitors, the system will probably, in many ways, be a continuation of the Switch.

Official statement:

Furukawa:
We have already announced some software titles that will be released through next spring. Unlike in the past, even though Nintendo Switch has gone through five years since its launch, there is still a rich lineup of new titles to be released. The biggest reason for this is that, thanks to the smooth launch of Nintendo Switch itself, we have been able to concentrate our development resources on one platform. On the other hand, looking back on past experiences of generational change such as the change from the Wii and Nintendo DS eras, we recognize that one of our tasks is ensuring the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth as possible. To that end, we are focusing on building long-term relationships with our consumers (through Nintendo Accounts). While continuing to release new Nintendo Switch software for consumers to enjoy, we aim to maintain relationships across hardware generations through services that utilize Nintendo Accounts and by providing opportunities for them to experience our IP through other non-gaming channels.
So this is pretty much the opposite of the Wii - Wii U.

Nintendo majorly pissed off its fan base by barely having any games from 2010-2012, basically allowing itself to shrivel up. Remember when fans had to beg to even get a game like Xenoblade Chronicles? Yeah...

I am glad Nintendo is learning from that mistake.

So this is pretty much the opposite of the Wii - Wii U.

Nintendo majorly pissed off its fan base by barely having any games from 2010-2012, basically allowing itself to shrivel up. Remember when fans had to beg to even get a game like Xenoblade Chronicles? Yeah...

I am glad Nintendo is learning from that mistake.
Wouldn’t it be 2011-2012? Nintendo had Wii Sports Resort, SMG2, DKC Returns, Kirby’s Epic Yarn, just to name a few, all in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom