• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo v. Yuzu Lawsuit: Yuzu agrees to pay $2.4 million to settle, Yuzu and Citra emulators shutting down

Capturing 3DS games and playing them on an external display is an expensive challenge, requiring modding or relying on streaming from an n3DS. Citra was a good way of getting capture, with streamlined methods of transferring save data from a legitimate 3DS. Sad that it ended up being collateral damage.

……what?
It's such a ridiculous sentiment that I kind of feel bad for bringing it up in this thread, so I apologize.

I've just seen some overeactions like "I'm never supporting Nintendo again" which is kind of bizarre to me and I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in being confused by statements like this.

I've seen people say that this situation will cause the Switch 2 to be a Wii U-scale financial disaster.

Am I wrong, or is that way off-base to say? I feel like this issue is something only a (relatively speaking) very small amount of online people are going to care about. The average person is not even going to know about this, much less care.

I'd go as far as to say that even the people upset now are going to stop caring about it once the Switch 2 reveal happens.
in my experience any time Nintendo does something pockets of the internet don't like, a bunch of folks start predicting it'll be the catalyst for a huge populist uprising against the house of Mario

for example, just look at any time they've shut down a Smash tournament

It's such a ridiculous sentiment that I kind of feel bad for bringing it up in this thread, so I apologize.

I've just seen some overeactions like "I'm never supporting Nintendo again" which is kind of bizarre to me and I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in being confused by statements like this.
I think β€˜I’m not supporting x multinational any more’ is at least a reasonable personal statement, compared to the sweeping claim that Switch 2 is going to see a reduction of 130m sales or whatever based entirely on events even most of the people dedicated enough to follow gaming news on the internet will barely remember next year.

I saw those reactions too. don't think much about it. they're the ones missing out because of their overreaction

The sheer brazen nonsense of it all. They were dealing in shady actions that would have blown up in their faces had it gone to trial. There are aspects to this that are clearly outside the gray area boundary of emulation disputes.
Yikes!

Does this imply that Nintendo has all the download and user information of all of those people?

I wonder if they can actually do anything with that?

EDIT: Have the Yuzu devs basically sold out their entire user base? No wonder the settlement is much smaller than I expected 😳
There's playing with fire and then there's whatever the hell this is
This, on top of the thing having stolen code. I can't! LMAO
I'm not trying to cross post here, but a couple of users from Resetera said that that person is very sketchy when it comes to things like this and therefore not to be trusted. So I don't know what to believe.

Please respect the rules of the OP and refrain from broad moralistic judgments. Future posts that don’t adhere to this rule will be met with stricter moderation. – Party Sklar, mariodk18, Dardan Sandiego, big lantern ghost, Tangerine Cookie
Most of those people saying that were probably already uhhhh "preservationists" so to speak

The more I read about all this, the more it looks like Yuzu really, really screwed themselves over.

Oooh, the plot thickens. Yeah, this does sound like a classic case of them playing themselves if they were up to those kind of shenanigans.

When this lawsuit was first announced I was up in arms and shouting to the heavens for Nintendo to just leave innocent emulation devs alone, but as more details have come to light I've had to change my tune.

Nintendo Ninjas don't fuck around with their cunning subterfuge, it seems.

I'm not trying to cross post here, but a couple of users from Resetera said that that person is very sketchy when it comes to things like this and therefore not to be trusted. So I don't know what to believe.
I mean his source is the actual court documents there isn't it?

Anyone who says that is trolling or in a complete bubble, lol. 99% of Switch owners don't even know about pirating games being a thing.

Which sorta makes Nintendo's heavy hand here feel more egregious, but y'know.
To be fair here, we have had huge media companies like Kotaku outright showcase piracy in the metroid dread situation. That was how huge Switch emulation was. 1 million copies being downloaded before launch is also no joke. That is 70 million dollars in revenue that they missed out on.
I think β€˜I’m not supporting x multinational any more’ is at least a reasonable personal statement, compared to the sweeping claim that Switch 2 is going to see a reduction of 130m sales or whatever based entirely on events even most of the people dedicated enough to follow gaming news on the internet will barely remember next year.
Honestly, the reason this is blowing up so much is simply because there is no other news for fans and media to grasp upon. There is nothing going on. For example, with Project M shutting down, that was quickly swept under the rug because there was simply so much going on at the time. It's kind of Nintendo's doing because they have showed nothing else for the majority of switch owners this year.

Yes, that's basically the state of US copyright law. Over in Blu-Ray land, there's no way to legally playback a Blu-Ray except through an authorized Blu-Ray player, as playing a digital backup requires circumventing the encryption. So things that you'd think should be nothing - like ripping a Blu-Ray to your private Plex server - are technically considered piracy.

I do not know if anyone's ever tried letting this go to court yet.
This shows how horrible US laws are on this matter. It needs to be challenged, or better yet: the law needs to be changed. This is giving companies too much power imo.

Luckily it's just the US...

If Nintendo does not sue Yuzu, they may turn NS2 into a failure like Wiiu. Totk had millions of downloads on Yuzu Before its release. I know a large company lost millions of viewers due to anime being simulated, and its stock price became 1/10 within three years. This is not impossible for Nintendo. Of course, Nintendo still has a last method to prevent them. They can change their game into GAAS to stop them. This is the only acceptable method for both parties.

To be fair here, we have had huge media companies like Kotaku outright showcase piracy in the metroid dread situation. That was how huge Switch emulation was. 1 million copies being downloaded before launch is also no joke. That is 70 million dollars in revenue that they missed out on.
There also was a dude tweeting to Reggie about how cool (pre-release, so leaked) TOTK was on his emulator. He responded with what amounted to a "you really shouldn't be tweeting your crimes to me, I am in the power to wreck your life for that kinda thing". Somehow Reggie was considered to be in the wrong there, but the brazenness of tweeting to the ex-CEO of NOA about how awesome you think piracy is cannot be understated.

Neither case (alongside the Kotaku incident) is directly Yuzu's fault, but there's related grounds to indicate that the devs were themselves involved in encouraging this kind of brazen behavior. Press coverage of emulation (and by extension homebrew) has always been really bad about the notion that it's not about piracy; Kotaku just dropped all pretenses with Metroid Dread, but crap outlets like Vice have been tooting that horn for way longer and way less quietly. The PCGamer interview with Bunnei clearly showed where the Yuzu teams priorities lied.

Just about the only press outlet that has treated the coverage of emulation with any amount of genuine respect for the craft rather than being an endorsement of the choir of "I want free pirated games" have been ArsTechnica and like, Wired.

Of course, Nintendo still has a last method to prevent them. They can change their game into GAAS to stop them. This is the only acceptable method for both parties.

giphy.gif

These statements always get a laugh out of me.

It’s so weird how Nintendo sucks and they won’t support them because they took down a tool that essentially allowed people to not support them at all. Really makes you think why someone would have this kind of emotional reaction to what happened. It’s almost like Nintendo took something away from them that they were using for totally legitimate reasons right? Surely this person was just ripping their own roms because they wanted to play Zelda in 4K.

If Nintendo does not sue Yuzu, they may turn NS2 into a failure like Wiiu. Totk had millions of downloads on Yuzu Before its release. I know a large company lost millions of viewers due to anime being simulated, and its stock price became 1/10 within three years. This is not impossible for Nintendo. Of course, Nintendo still has a last method to prevent them. They can change their game into GAAS to stop them. This is the only acceptable method for both parties.
Nintendo pivoting to GaaS is more likely to tank them than emulation... Piracy did not turn any prior, otherwise successful Nintendo console into a failure, so why would it now? There is a much larger barrier to pirating modern video games than there is to streaming anime illegally. Supposedly there were "only" about ~1m TotK downloads prior to launch, and as far as we know, this is the most egregious case by far. Relative to the 20m+ that it's sold legitimately already

The fact that we had Yuzu as effectively the spokespeople of modern emulation is so rough. Sounds like they did pretty much everything wrong, and that we're lucky this case got settled, because otherwise I shudder at the potential ramifications that could've emerged. The fact that Citra got taken down as collateral due to overlap in dev teams is already bad enough. In some bad alternate timeline they might've taken the whole scene down with them.

Even though this whole debacle did not lead to new legal precedent, I still fear the unspoken impact it will have on the emulation scene. And Nintendo might get a lot more brazen going forward? Who knows. Either way, developers are gonna be a lot more weary from now on. Best of luck to the Ryujinx team, who so far have seemed to do it the right way, at least. But as far as I know, there is currently no viable alternative to 3DS emulation (though I think there are a couple of up and coming projects)

Having looked into the case myself (although I am not a lawyer, nor even an expert of law), it seems to me that the settlement is probably one of the better outcomes possible for emulation as a whole. Since they didn't go to trial, the legality of the whole prod.key situation hasn't been tested nor upheld; but on the other hand, if it had, I feel that Yuzu's case would probably the worst case to present if you wanted to have the description of the upheld as legal, considering all the other circumstances and information surrounding them (while I haven't seen any definitive proof that the Yuzu devs pirated anything, there's enough smoke that has already come out that I feel pretty confident in saying that any discovery requested by Nintendo would have hosed them on that front), which would have likely meant they would be deemed illegal; which to seems to me would have more far-reaching consequences than the shutting down of Yuzu and Citra. Obviously, it sucks that they were forced to shut down both emulators (especially Citra, which seems to have entirely been collateral damage), but I feel like, at the very least, emulation is still mostly "safe," considering this settlement means that no precedent was set (since the outcome of the trial would have probably been bad for Yuzu). I could be mistaken, of course, and I would be happy for anyone more well-versed in the case or emulation's legality to correct me on this, but this is what seems to be the case, based on my own analysis, and I think that's probably what Yuzu's lawyer thinks as well, based on how quickly a settlement was reached.

No.

Anyone who says that is trolling or in a complete bubble, lol. 99% of Switch owners don't even know about pirating games being a thing.

While I agree that some people like to exaggerate how popular emulation is as a whole, I feel like you are really downplaying how bad Switch piracy has gotten, especially in the last year or two.
Every once in a while I randomly stumble on posts on Twitter that are literally just people randomly sharing roms or nsps or whatever they are called of brand new major releases. Whenever I try to look up footage of some niche games the top results are often emulated versions. You look up any Switch game and the google/youtube autocomplete is often filled with yuzu/ryujinx/steam deck, etc. Obviously it's not as bad as what PSP/DS suffered, but it has become fairly mainstream (not sure if the correct word, maybe "widespread within gaming circles") to just pirate Switch games.
I mean, Nintendo's case was built around the fact that ToTK was downloaded over 1 million times before it even released and who knows how many times post-launch, and that's just one game out of hundreds 1st party and thousands 3rd.

As for the successor - I don't think it will be affected. Both 3DS and especially Vita had huge declines from their predecessors, but I think that was mainly due to some poor decisions on Nintendo and Sony's part (price, the proprietary memory, etc), pretty weak library (early on for 3DS, throughout the entire life for Vita), and the increasing popularity of smartphones and F2P/casual gaming in early 2010s.

It's that way and they want to keep it that way. They remember when piracy was easy on the DS and software sales fell off a cliff.

Switch is, bluntly way further along than any company would have been happy with, given the actual balls on some of the media and these companies, with Kotaku making articles all but advocating piracy and steam accidentally including the emulators in trailers for their switch competitor device at one point.

It's that way and they want to keep it that way. They remember when piracy was easy on the DS and software sales fell off a cliff.

Switch is, bluntly way further along than any company would have been happy with, given the actual balls on some of the media and these companies, with Kotaku making articles all but advocating piracy and steam accidentally including the emulators in trailers for their switch competitor device at one point.
Tbf steam deck is also not a mainstream device

The Switch emulation scene is not small as the lawsuit does show totk has millions of downloads, but it's commercial impact is overstated

Statement is correct 99% of Switch owners play on the hardware and or dont know or care about the emulators. That 1% would still represent millions of users though.

What kind of blocking technology? Yuzu made switch games playable once the user had a key to disable security measures. Once a user had the key and a copy of the game, Yuzu had no idea if it’s a pirate copy or a legit backup for emulation, outside of collecting anonymous metadata on games being played that aren’t out yet (something that likely helped sink any defence they might have had vs Nintendo here). It’s not like pirate copies have something that flags up that they aren’t a legit copy that Yuzu could test for and block, when they are literally the same file as a copy used for emulation.
I also didn't know. Maybe in the future these emulation developing some kind of technology that preventing piracy use on their emulation. If they detecting same game ID occurring in their emulation, that new technology block it from functioning.

Comparing it to the DS and R4 cart situation is kind of laughable. That was so huge it was common to have parents walking into game stores asking if they could buy them for their kids. It was also a much different beast to be able to just pop an cart into real hardware and have everything just work. I would love an indepth look into what exactly got the R4 cart so popular and how much it did actually impact sales from a 3rd party source. It would be a fascinating look into what specific conditions all came together to make piracy widespread and damaging to that level, and also show how to avoid that.

While I do agree Switch emulation has been mainstreamed and sold to a level above most other emulation, I don't think it is anywhere close to what R4 carts were doing. You do need dedicated hardware in the PC space that costs about as much as the original hardware anyways. Getting into the nitty gritty of getting other files to run the emulator is not difficult, but it's another layer entirely. Getting ahold of and managing the games is also a bit more annoying. There's also a lot of features real Switch hardware has which won't be getting emulated in a suitable way. The difference between all of that and simply buying an R4 (and having a preloaded dump of games to go in some cases) where you can just drop single files and have it work on the hardware you already own as if it were legitimate is just not comparable.

I am in no way trying to downplay how large Switch piracy has become, it's quite big. I'm more trying to play up how insane the R4 situation was and how comparing things to then is somewhat of a farce. I am aware there are things out there that might make this a reality eventually on real Switch hardware but at this point I would deem it as a nonfactor.

Yuzu, has set a bad precedent for all emulation communities.

I believe there is a fine line between emulation and pirating when it comes to classic games. I believe Yuzu crossed the line when they were "preserving" the latest switch games and were hosting roms on their private discord and passing information to other "developers" and collecting telemetry data.

All the yuzu business aside, I am pretty disappointed that Citra was collateral damage. It was the only 3DS emulator with high compatibility, and it's a system completely out of production. I'm sure the 3DS emulation scene will grow back over time but there isn't any widely available way to play your 3DS games now in the event of hardware failure.

I'm with John from Digital Foundry with this. I really hope Nintendo loses this and doesn't set a precedent.
Even with their specific framing, it could be quite hurtful to all of Emulation in general. (Edit: Just ignore this part lol.)

I think some underestimate or don't know how important Emulation is for Archiving. There are private and public efforts in most countries around the world to collect games but in most cases it is very inconsistent. For example here in Switzerland only games from here get archived properly and despite how little the scene is, it is hard to track down older titles and it took a lot of effort to get public funding for it. France tries to archive any game that gets released there physically (if I remember it correctly). They have an impressive collection of 20'000 games, but the library is of course nowhere near complete and it stays really hard.

For preservation, education and research purposes it is super important to have these games properly archived. There are countless Public or Restricted Access Archives around the World for any Book and Film for the at least last 100 years. The same is true for anything Art and Design. Like every fucking table gets archived.

But when it comes to Software and especially Games it is way harder, especially if you want to stay in legal grounds. It would be even better if they could outright archive the source code of at least some historic games (Because now they have to actually recreate the games in some cases), but publishers would never allow that. Just imagine Nintendo giving out the code of the first Mario. Will never happen, but it should. But that's a different story.

To weaken emulation in this regard would make things even worse, because then you would be even more dependent on the hardware to actually play the games. It is much harder to get and maintenance specific hardware instead of just getting the copy of the game and make it playable on any modern PC. I mean it is already an issue to get games into museums or to deeply analyze them at Universities. Believe me, even when I disagree, the few Researchers I know just pirate classic games if possible, when they can't get a copy.

Just remember, 90% of all games in the US released pre 2010 are not available anymore to buy and some of them might be forever lost. We need Emulation to get some of the history of games back and make it impossible to happen this to any curent game "trapped" on a specific hardware.

Last edited:
I'm with John from Digital Foundry with this. I really hope Nintendo loses this and doesn't set a precedent.
The case is settled and over. Yuzu agreed to a fine and permanent injunction. There's nothing left to "lose", outside of a judge rejecting the settlement (which is rare).

The case is settled and over. Yuzu agreed to a fine and permanent injunction. There's nothing left to "lose", outside of a judge rejecting the settlement (which is rare).
I see that. I just hope it stays with that and Nintendo hasn't discovered a new found passion to clean up the whole scene.

I see that. I just hope it stays with that and Nintendo hasn't discovered a new found passion to clean up the whole scene.
well tell them to not share roms of unreleased games on discord then. wild how people think discord is a free for all where you can do anything and never get found out all while discord hands over your info to the authorities.

I also didn't know. Maybe in the future these emulation developing some kind of technology that preventing piracy use on their emulation. If they detecting same game ID occurring in their emulation, that new technology block it from functioning.
Shouldn't that be possible now?

I mean if its possible to work on improving/ ironing out the emulation on new titles (which the yuzu devs did), the inverse should also be possible.

well tell them to not share roms of unreleased games on discord then. wild how people think discord is a free for all where you can do anything and never get found out all while discord hands over your info to the authorities.
Well I am not defending Yuzu and their shady business practices here. But Nintendo clearly isn't too happy about Emulators in general and they show little effort to keep their library of games accessible over longer periods of time.

This case maybe is more about the piracy of said games, though I believe they would take any chance they get to take down other Emulators. They want to keep their stuff by themselves and keep control over it, that's why they care about to take action in the first place.

Stolen code? I havent kept up with everything around this story but what did they steal?
Oh, this goes back a few years before all this, actually.

So, there's two things at work, here. One of which is that Yuzu infamously "lifted" code from Ryujinx (another Switch emulator). Not exactly the most moral thing to do, and it caused some sloppiness because the two programs are written in two different languages.

But what really made certain that Yuzu was as far from a "clean room" design was because...it uses Nintendo's own SDK. It was just sitting there on the team's drive, at one point.

You can't exactly expect to effectively steal and utilize Nintendo's own code and expect things to go well for you. Those of us who knew about and remembered this were just waiting for the events of this last week and some change to happen at some point.

And here we are.

Even with their specific framing, it could be quite hurtful to all of Emulation in general. (Edit: Just ignore this part lol.)

I think some underestimate or don't know how important Emulation is for Archiving. There are private and public efforts in most countries around the world to collect games but in most cases it is very inconsistent. For example here in Switzerland only games from here get archived properly and despite how little the scene is, it is hard to track down older titles and it took a lot of effort to get public funding for it. France tries to archive any game that gets released there physically (if I remember it correctly). They have an impressive collection of 20'000 games, but the library is of course nowhere near complete and it stays really hard.

For preservation, education and research purposes it is super important to have these games properly archived. There are countless Public or Restricted Access Archives around the World for any Book and Film for the at least last 100 years. Like every fucking table gets archived.

But when it comes to Software and especially Games it is way harder, especially if you want to stay in legal grounds. It would be even better if they could outright archive the source code of at least some historic games (Because now they have to actually recreate the games in some cases), but publishers would never allow that. Just imagine Nintendo giving out the code of the first Mario. Will never happen, but it should. But that's a different story.

To weaken emulation in this regard would make things even worse, because then you would be even more dependent on the hardware to actually play the games. It is much harder to get and maintenance specific hardware instead of just getting the copy of the game and make it playable on any modern PC. I mean it is already an issue to get games into museums or to deeply analyze them at Universities. Believe me, even when I disagree, the few Researchers I know just pirate classic games if possible, when they can't get a copy.

Just remember, 90% of all games in the US released pre 2010 are not available anymore to buy and some of them might be forever lost. We need Emulation to get some of the history of games back and make it impossible to happen this to any curent game "trapped" on a specific hardware.

i agree. preservation in the digital age must be a much more immediate and constantly vigilant effort. let us not forget that scarcity of games can hit digital versions at any time. its flat out wrong to state that "preservationists" shouldnt be targeting a modern console because theres no reason, when modern gaming is making it much more difficult to get a hold of an actual game file. idk the state of it on switch carts, but even buying a xbox or ps game disc doesnt necessarily mean you have "preserved" that game when for many of them its just a download initiator.

i agree. preservation in the digital age must be a much more immediate and constantly vigilant effort. let us not forget that scarcity of games can hit digital versions at any time. its flat out wrong to state that "preservationists" shouldnt be targeting a modern console because theres no reason, when modern gaming is making it much more difficult to get a hold of an actual game file. idk the state of it on switch carts, but even buying a xbox or ps game disc doesnt necessarily mean you have "preserved" that game when for many of them its just a download initiator.
Yeah I fully agree. Hardware isn't made for eternity. Archiving it and its games properly is a huge undertaking. This will be true for Switch too some time in the future, where there maybe is no more eShop, no physical release of a game or only limited copies ever produced and can't be easily replaced. Emulation makes it possible to actually preserve games and make them accessible for educational purposes and as an artistic piece with much more reliability.

Well I am not defending Yuzu and their shady business practices here. But Nintendo clearly isn't too happy about Emulators in general and they show little effort to keep their library of games accessible over longer periods of time.
People say this but I don't really think that's true. At least on context of Nintendo's first party titles (ie the stuff they can use without issue) all their biggest hitters from the NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA have been fairly consistently available either via VC or NSO. Pick any random rom site and look at their most popular games for say the SNES. You'll frequently see the following as most downloaded

Super Mario World 1-2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Mega Man X1-3
Final Fantasy 4-6
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart
Kirby Super Star
TMNT 4 Turtles In Time
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2 & Ultimate 3

Of those all but the Mortal Kombats and Chrono Trigger are on Switch, either via NSO or a collection released by the company that owns the game. When 90% of the most popular downloaded roms are all widely available on paid services, I don't think it's fair to say Nintendo (or the industry as a whole) doesn't care about keeping the classics available on modern platforms.

We can criticize the slow release schedule, them not being forward thinking about accounts on the Wii/WiiU/3DS, but they (and their partners) are making the most popular games available in some form either via subscription or collection. While some of us may long for the "let me buy what I want" days, the reality is subscriptions are what the majority of consumers want.

People say this but I don't really think that's true. At least on context of Nintendo's first party titles (ie the stuff they can use without issue) all their biggest hitters from the NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA have been fairly consistently available either via VC or NSO. Pick any random rom site and look at their most popular games for say the SNES. You'll frequently see the following as most downloaded

Super Mario World 1-2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Mega Man X1-3
Final Fantasy 4-6
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart
Kirby Super Star
TMNT 4 Turtles In Time
Street Fighter 2

Of those all but the Mortal Kombats and Chrono Trigger are on Switch, either via NSO or a collection released by the company that owns the game. When 90% of the most popular downloaded roms are all widely available on paid services, I don't think it's fair to say Nintendo (or the industry as a whole) doesn't care about keeping the classics available on modern platforms.

We can criticize the slow release schedule, them not being forward thinking about accounts on the Wii/WiiU/3DS, but they (and their partners) are making the most popular games available in some form either via subscription or collection. While some of us may long for the "let me buy what I want" days, the reality is subscriptions are what the majority of consumers want.
not to mention according to that document the Yuzu devs were specifically targeting games like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon....not exactly rare games in desperate need of preservation. Especially before they come out

Super Mario World 1-2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Mega Man X1-3
Final Fantasy 4-6
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart
Kirby Super Star
TMNT 4 Turtles In Time
Street Fighter 2

Maybe true for the popular titles, but many classic games are way harder to get. ROM Sites or having some games on/off available over services like VC or NSO isn't really reliable. Nintendo (or any other Publisher) can change their mind at any time if they want to. At least until now Nintendo obviously didn't care much and this case very likely hasn't any deeper meaning with their current strategy, but still we rely on their goodwill/lack of interest on that.

My initial point wasn't really about all games (good or bad) having constantly commercially available in some form, I get that this isn't really sustainable for a profit orientated company. But more publisher need to show an effort to preserve the games as a piece of art consistently forever. That you are able to make copies of games (you bought) for private purposes should be no issue in any case and that public institutions can rely on devs to get the games and maybe additional material for their archive needs to be the very standard.

For any other form of media, art or design piece this is something that's already happening and encouraged (at least in most countries)

Last edited:

Super Mario World 1-2
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Super Metroid
Zelda ALTTP
Mega Man X1-3
Final Fantasy 4-6
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart
Kirby Super Star
TMNT 4 Turtles In Time
Street Fighter 2

I don't think this is really that relevant to @lexony's point. For one, game preservation is about all games, not just the ones that are most popular on piracy sites, and the vast majority of classic games are no longer available for sale.

Secondly, Nintendo's primary complaint in the lawsuit was that Yuzu's emulator doesn't work properly without circumventing their encryption, but that's largely true of software emulating any modern console. So I think the concern about Nintendo's attitude towards emulation is quite justified.

I don't think this is really that relevant to @lexony's point. For one, game preservation is about all games, not just the ones that are most popular on piracy sites, and the vast majority of classic games are no longer available for sale.

Secondly, Nintendo's primary complaint in the lawsuit was that Yuzu's emulator doesn't work properly without circumventing their encryption, but that's largely true of software emulating any modern console. So I think the concern about Nintendo's attitude towards emulation is quite justified.
Yeah my point really was more about that we really can't only rely on private companies to preserve games. Even not Nintendo.

Typical sorts of replies in that Twitter thread, remind me to not even enter that cesspit for a second.

Yeah my point really was more about that we really can't only rely on private companies to preserve games. Even not Nintendo.
Except Nintendo has preserved games better then anyone, just because they're not publicly available does not mean they aren't preserved. Preservation does not mean anyone who wants to play something can, it just means the original code isn't lost forever.

Staff Communication
Please make sure you are aware of the full content and rules of the OP before posting. Violating thread rules is subject to threadbans and site bans.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom