• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Official Tweet Nintendo UK confirms that Nintendo 64 games on Switch Online will be able to be played in 60 HZ in PAL regions

60Hz options for all available games?

Now will the framerate be locked with no dips? Or was the exact framerate with dips and everything ported over too?
It'll be exactly the same performance as the original. For the better or worse, Nintendo aims for a perfect recreation of the original experience.
It depends on a system by system it seems. NES/SNES games seem to suffer from the exact same issues as they had on the original hardware. However, N64 games on the WiiU had greatly improved performance and the frame rate for Donkey Kong 64 was a solid 30 over whatever it decided to run at on the original hardware. Now for most games this of course improves the experience, but DK64 actually adjusted gameplay speed based on the frame rate, so the improved frame rate made some of the minigames nearly impossible without cheesing them with the pause menu. I have a feeling the N64 games here will have the same treatment as they had on the WiiU, so improved performance at 720p, but nothing more than that.

Last edited:
Really great news. Easy workaround to get the NA app, but this means one less step.

60Hz options for all available games?

It depends on a system by system it seems. NES/SNES games seem to suffer from the exact same issues as they had on the original hardware. However, N64 games on the WiiU had greatly improved performance and the frame rate for Donkey Kong 64 was a solid 30 over whatever it decided to run at on the original hardware. Now for most games this of course improves the experience, but DK64 actually adjusted gameplay speed based on the frame rate, so the improved frame rate made some of the minigames nearly impossible without cheesing them with the pause menu. I have a feeling the N64 games here will have the same treatment as they had on the WiiU, so improved performance at 720p, but nothing more than that.

I remember the Wii VC version of starfox 64 getting updated post release to put the slowdown back in, since lack of slowdown made Aquas almost impossible to beat.

DCEBF42-B-B91-F-4353-971-A-E45-DEAFBF571.jpg
Has Europe/UK reverted the branding back to Star Fox? Something about "Star Vox" from what I've heard...

Has Europe/UK reverted the branding back to Star Fox? Something about "Star Vox" from what I've heard...

On the game itself? Sort of but not really. The 3DS remake was released as Star Fox 64 3D but I don't think they've sold the PAL N64 version since the Wii where it was still called Lylat Wars. On the Wii U you could only buy the US version.

Maybe a dumb question..

But for games like OoT that ran at like 20FPS or whatever it was, will this still be the case here?
So it’s this
The games keep their original framerate, but if they keep the same philosphy they had on Wii U, it will be way more stable.
Because 90% of games tied logic to frame rate. And some games will be tweaked to keep slowdown… we’ll unless nerd found a work around

But hey F-Zero X was a glorious 60fps on original hardware

In my memories, the original release of Lylat Wars / StarFox 64 on the Wii Virtual Console had almost no slowdowns and got quite harder in some parts.

Back
Top Bottom