• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Official Tweet Nintendo UK confirms that Nintendo 64 games on Switch Online will be able to be played in 60 HZ in PAL regions

You mean to tell me that people jumped to conclusions based on the cover art for some of the games? Despite NERD (who is up there with M2) doing the emulation?

No way!

There seems to be a lot of misinformation online about the Switch that Nintendo has to constantly correct. I wonder why? :unsure:

Combination of people jumping to conclusions, bad communication and Nintendo having an erratic track record when it comes to this stuff.

That’s fantastic. Happy for all you Europeans who won’t have to download the US app just to get the best versions!

Also, if it weren’t for Dread, N64 on NSO would have been my most anticipated release of the year. So pumped to finally have all these gems conveniently on my Switch

As it should've been.

Probably worth porting this feature back to the SNES app for certain games.

Would have loved to be able to play translated versions in 60Hz, but I would have never expected this to happen.
So this is fine and most games don't have a lot of text anyway

Great news, though a shame the language options won't be available in 60hz.
Combination of people jumping to conclusions, bad communication and Nintendo having an erratic track record when it comes to this stuff.
Yep. I don't blame people for jumping to conclusions and I assumed the worst too, because they didn't take the 5-10 seconds to mention it when it was announced and it's something I don't really want to go back to. It's not a Nintendo exclusive thing either, PAL people of a certain age are just prepared for disappointment after years of games not releasing, not releasing physically, or releasing in a lesser state. I didn't know any better around the time of the N64 as a kid, but the 60/50hz thing did become a talking point I remember seeing in games media and communities here.

So, we can finally give this a rest, right?

This is the correct course of action. Give the option to play those games that were localized in the PAL region, but give also the alterative to play the 60 Hz NTSC version.

Kudos to them.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation online about the Switch that Nintendo has to constantly correct. I wonder why? :unsure:

When it comes to Nintendo, whenever there's a chance of having bad news out of something good, people will create it.

Despite Nintendo only using 50 Hz versions when there was heavy localization involved on Wii U
Despite the NES and SNES app being full 60 Hz

It's just tiring.

Hope they add 50hz Sonic the Hedgehog as well for Sega Mega Drive selection.

DCEBF42-B-B91-F-4353-971-A-E45-DEAFBF571.jpg

Didn’t people jump to conclusions saying it wasn’t? That’s not Nintendo’s fault. They communicated it to you now.

Quoted by: GJ
When it comes to Nintendo, whenever there's a chance of having bad news out of something good, people will create it.

Despite Nintendo only using 50 Hz versions when there was heavy localization involved on Wii U
Despite the NES and SNES app being full 60 Hz

It's just tiring.

Yes. I also see this pattern and its been going on for years. Oh well. 🤷‍♀️ It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Switch is doing its thing. (y) Now when can I get those wireless N64 controllers? 😍

Didn’t people jump to conclusions saying it wasn’t? That’s not Nintendo’s fault. They communicated it to you now.

They showed two different trailers during the Direct. The US was shown the 60Hz versions of the games, while Europe was shown the 50Hz ones. It’s not unreasonable to think Europe was getting shafted here.

We don’t know what would’ve happened if we didn’t have this outcry. Maybe Europe would never have gotten the 60Hz versions, or maybe it was planned to bring the 60Hz versions to Europe all along, but for some reason they showed the 50Hz versions in the presentation. Either way it’s good that we’re finally getting the ‘good’ versions in Europe.

They showed two different trailers during the Direct. The US was shown the 60Hz versions of the games, while Europe was shown the 50Hz ones. It’s not unreasonable to think Europe was getting shafted here.

We don’t know what would’ve happened if we didn’t have this outcry. Maybe Europe would never have gotten the 60Hz versions, or maybe it was planned to bring the 60Hz versions to Europe all along, but for some reason they showed the 50Hz versions in the presentation. Either way it’s good that we’re finally getting the ‘good’ versions in Europe.

I would argue to this that, business model and drip feeding aside, Nintendo has been steadily improving they retro gaming offering, quality wise.

They went from only offering 50 Hz versions on Wii to 60 Hz versions when possible on Wii U, they would not take such a step back.

Most probably, the presentation was wrongfully aimed to what the PAL user remebers so they used PAL footage, but the idea had been there from the start. After all, N64 was a big breakthrough for Nintendo here in Europe because they finally started to localize games in PAL5, and they did pretty good in their efforts.

I don't understand why they don't just make a new build of these games with both 60Hz and language options that consolidates all previous releases. That way we wouldn't have to go through this song and dance every time they rerelease their old games. They could even add some new localisations if they thought it would make their online more attracted to new markets. Plus there are also bug fixes and content that remain exclusive to certain regions to this day.

Awesome news.
I don't understand why they don't just make a new build of these games with both 60Hz and language options that consolidates all previous releases. That way we wouldn't have to go through this song and dance every time they rerelease their old games. They could even add some new localisations if they thought it would make their online more attracted to new markets. Plus there are also bug fixes and content that remain exclusive to certain regions to this day.
That's harder to do, and not necessarily worth the time and effort, especially when it can introduce new bugs.
New localizations would add even more work without adding much more value. Those are just N64 games added to a service, not remasters.

Awesome news.

That's harder to do, and not necessarily worth the time and effort, especially when it can introduce new bugs.
New localizations would add even more work without adding much more value. Those are just N64 games added to a service, not remasters.
I know, but it's not like Nintendo is hurting for money. I'm sure they could afford it. It would get more complicated when it comes to third parties, and Rare's games.

Fantastic news!

I was concerned when they showed 50Hz gameplay for the European N64 NSO trailer.

Glad to hear we'll have a unified 60Hz worldwide.

They could have made it like Super Mario 64 in the Switch Collection. Take the best/last ROM and inject the localisation files while playing. But that is more time/money consuming. I really hoped this will be the standard for their comeing N64 emulation but no...

They could have made it like Super Mario 64 in the Switch Collection. Take the best/last ROM and inject the localisation files while playing. But that is more time/money consuming. I really hoped this will be the standard for their comeing N64 emulation but no...
I mean, it shows they have a bigger scope in mind. Plus it’d be more complicated to do for third parties

I feel like the only time Nintendo considers it worthwhile is when there's minimal work required, like Sin & Punishment when it was brought to the Wii VC. I assumed they already had English voice acting and just had to localize the text from Japanese.

That being said, wasn't there that localizer program rumoured last year that could inject translations on the fly? I tried snooping OatmealDome's tweets but can't find the name of the tool; I vaguely recall it being in use for the FE NES game last December but I wasn't sure if it was disproven or not
I know, but it's not like Nintendo is hurting for money. I'm sure they could afford it. It would get more complicated when it comes to third parties, and Rare's games.
The reason Nintendo isn't hurting for money is because they can get away with doing the bare minimum. It's why SM64 is still in 4:3 in 3DAS and despite updated textures in OoT3DS, it's still the same polygons used a decade prior. That warchest of theirs can survive three console failures before they have to start selling off IP assets and the company is threatened.

I'd be very interested to see OoT remastered with the same love and attention to detail as FFVIIR (minus the episodic bullshit), but I don't see that happening unless a future CEO with radical ideas for running the company can navigate corporate bureaucracy after 20-30 years is employed now or soon.

Glad to see that PAL isn't stuck with 50Hz after it was shown in the European Direct. I wonder if this was always planned, but just poorly communicated, or if the outcry helped spark this change? I'd assume it was always planned, but its hard to tell sometimes with Nintendo. They can be a little weird when it comes to online stuff like this.

I like your avatar. :ROFLMAO:

Glad to see that PAL isn't stuck with 50Hz after it was shown in the European Direct. I wonder if this was always planned, but just poorly communicated, or if the outcry helped spark this change? I'd assume it was always planned, but its hard to tell sometimes with Nintendo. They can be a little weird when it comes to online stuff like this.
Normally I can see why it may be up in the air with them, but ever since NERD took over emulation duties, it was most likely always planned to include 60Hz. They just do fantastic work in general

Good news, but they had changed the boxart previews on the NSO app a few weeks ago and that seemed to indicate we'd get 60Hz options in Europe. I can understand why people are skeptical when it comes to Nintendo and online, though, because they haven't necessarily earned the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully not too long to wait to find out a release date and what the pricing is.

Normally I can see why it may be up in the air with them, but ever since NERD took over emulation duties, it was most likely always planned to include 60Hz. They just do fantastic work in general
Yeah NERD is excellent when it comes to stuff like this. Hence why I expect this was always in the cards.

Considering this being dropped today, totally expecting the full details this week

I have to post this here too: this news is better than the original announcement.

Now will the framerate be locked with no dips? Or was the exact framerate with dips and everything ported over too?

It'll be exactly the same performance as the original. For the better or worse, Nintendo aims for a perfect recreation of the original experience.

Back
Top Bottom