• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch worldwide sales top 141.32 million (1.96M in the last quarter), forecast for the next fiscal year (Q2 2024 to Q1 2025) is 13.5 million

mazi

picross pundit

cGtvv5c.png

edit: the forecast for the next fiscal year (april 2024 to march 2025) is 13.5 million units

JrP0Sle.png

Last edited:
Dat 13.5M forecast tho... They need to have some nice surprises in store, cause a 15%-ish drop following 2023's massive output requires those. Especially considering 2023 itself was a 13% drop from 2022 despite two blockbuster releases.

I think they will releasing another Switch version = transparent color version with price cut maybe

Sold 15.70 million units in FY24, so they just barely surpassed their forecasted projection of 15.5 million. Not bad.

But is Nintendo really out here projecting 13.5 million for FY25, though? I wonder what exactly they have planned for the back half of the year to make the Switch squeeze past the Nintendo DS for the #2 best-selling console of all-time spot.

Sold 15.70 million units in FY24, so they just barely surpassed their forecasted projection of 15.5 million. Not bad.

But is Nintendo really out here projecting 13.5 million for FY25, though? I wonder what exactly they have planned for the back half of the year to make the Switch squeeze past the Nintendo DS for the #2 best-selling console of all-time spot.

Maybe doing a price drop could help

13.5 is pretty damn bold. A price drop could help though that's going to be fighting with the fact that Switch 2 on the horizon is going to start becoming more common knowledge very soon.

they must have some tricks up their sleeve if they think they can sell another 13.5 million units before april 2025

I can’t see Switch getting any more big, new games outside what’s already announced so, unless they plan a big price cut, I’m not sure how they’ll hit 13.5 million in the next FY.

I can’t see Switch getting any more big, new games outside what’s already announced so, unless they plan a big price cut, I’m not sure how they’ll hit 13.5 million in the next FY.

With

• Paper Mario TTYD
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
  • Fire Emblem 4
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Pokemon Legend Z-A

It's possible.

And if Nintendo plan a price cut, it's more than possible ;)

Last edited:
Nintendo also forecasting pretty noticeable drops in software (17.2%) and operating and net profit (around 38% for both). Possible a price drop is coming, but that might not be the only explanation.

Alternatively, the 13.5 million forecast is purely so that Switch overtakes DS, which is at 154.02. The new forecast would see Switch hit 154.82 million.

If it makes the full 13 million it's basically at the finish line, so I really hope it manages that.

Well, if they achieve this forecast then outselling the ps2 won’t be a matter of if but when, of course it’s a pretty bold forecast but so was last year and everyone said it was unrealistic and then they surpassed it easily so let’s just wait and see.

Can it eke out an additional 10M to beat PS2 in FY26 and beyond? I’m not convinced
If it sells the forecasted amount then easily, the ps2 is at best at 160m, this would put the switch at 155m in march 2025, even with the next switch releasing it should sell more than 5m until the end of production (3ds sold over 10mil after the switch release).

are we taking jim ryan's random soundbite from an interview as ps2's official sales number now? ps2 sales are at 155 million unless sony updates the number.

They have to have one heavy hitter in the second half to do this

or maybe a bold price cut along with Nintendo Selects?

def needs a bit of a push tho

Can it eke out an additional 10M to beat PS2 in FY26 and beyond? I’m not convinced
If they can actually hit their forecast to make it to a culminative 154.82 million units sold, they can probably do it. Assuming they keep selling it for another two years after the successor drops, the Switch should have little issue getting the needed 5-6 million to beat the PS2's suspected 160 million total.

Switch will surpass the DS next year and then the PS2 after that as long as they keep manufacturing it and some games still release on it.

do you guys think the announcement of the next system will hurt it or no? Then again a direct will probably help
This twitter announcement no, it’s an announcement of an announcement without even giving a release window, so it’ll probably have a smaller impact on sales, the full announcement definitely but that’s probably 4/5 months away, and if they can stack their holidays with good software they can probably have a good performance until December.

Ok if they are planning 13 Million they've got a few surprises for sure..

Price drop and a few big games?

I doubt the proejcted sales for next year account much for the "gamers" demographic. In that way, any fan of the hobby probably already have a Switch or won't no matter what. So, announcements of future consoles or new games to be release, won't have much impact in the projected sales of the Switch. If I have to guess they will be realying in packs or some sort of price cut to appeal to parents/young audience.

They won't have any major realeases at this point with the next console coming up. And even if they did, those major releases won't have a big effect on sales. People who want to play a new F-Zero/Star Fox/Metroid Prime whatever, already have a Switch.

Nintendo's earnings release for the 4th quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2024 has been published, this covers the three month period from January 1st to March 31st 2024. Nintendo shipped 1.96 million units of Switch hardware and 35.72 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 141.32 million for hardware and 1235.82 million for software.

The total for the full fiscal year is 15.70 million for hardware and 199.67 million for software.

Year over year quarter 4 hardware sales are 1.11 million down from 3.07 million and software sales are 6.13 million down from 41.85 million.

Four titles sold over one million units this quarter, these were new releases Mario Versus Donkey Kong (1.12 million), Princess Peach Showtime! (1.22 million) plus Super Mario Bros. Wonder (1.48 million) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.39 million)

The Nintendo Switch projections for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2025 are 13.5 million units of hardware and 165 million units of software.

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q4:
1.96m
Regional Split Q4: Japan 670k, Americas 670k, Europe 340k, Other 270k
Model Variants Q4: Standard 460k, Lite 340k, Oled 1.15m

Switch Hardware Total: 141.32m
Regional Split Total: Japan 34.00m, Americas 54.52m, Europe 36.48m, Other 16.31m
Model Variants Total: Standard 93.44m, Lite 23.53m, Oled 24.34m

Global Shipment History (millions)

Q3nFcbo.png

Software

Switch Software Q4:
35.72m
Regional Split Q4: Japan 7.19m, Americas 15.41m, Europe 9.71m, Other 3.41m
Tie Ratio Q4: 18.22

Switch Software Total: 1235.82m
Regional Split Total: Japan 239.92m, Americas 540.18m, Europe 356.32m, Other 97.40m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.74

Global Shipment History (millions)

FBtkevD.png

Last edited:
the only thing that will stop switch's sales after switch 2 is out if nintendo stops production, which honestly isn't impossible. MS and sony kinda did that after their new consoles launched this gen.

it is fairly well documented that PS2's sales are within 159-161~ million

it has never been 155 always 155+

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...-158m-update-between-159-2m-and-161-9m.77277/
still don't think speculation, even if informed like that, replaces official info but i get it.

Both hardware and software projections are higher than i thought they'd be, surely they can only reach these targets with price cuts to hardware and a Nintendo Selects range for older 1st party software.

They really need a one final SKU to reach this number, Switch's very own New 2DS XL. Dockable Lite OLED, perhaps. And it needs to come with its own limited editions, possibly one for Legends Z-A (transparent green?).

Keep in mind, Nintendo's original forecast for FY24 was 15 million units. They only raised the forecast to 15.5 million after Q3. So that's 700k above the original full year forecast and 200k above their Q4 forecast. That's more than not bad. I'd say it's pretty impressive actually, given how old the system is.

13.5 million this FY is ambitious but, then again, that's exactly what we said about 15 million last FY. Nintendo is coming for the PS2's crown.

Hopefully that means they have something big lined up for the Holiday.

Just watch them announce a price drop just after I purchase an OLED to replace my dying launch Switch for my 4 week trip to the US. Just bloody well watch them...

Being serious again, that's an ambitious target for a console at this stage of it's life. They must be confident that they have enough tricks up their sleeve to get them over the line. Because if the Switch makes this target, PS2 is firmly in its sights.

Very happy that this’ll be the biggest selling console ever, I called it before launch and never doubted.

GOAT from start to finish

PS2 is 155M

And the new forecast would see Switch hit 154.82 million..... It's largely possible.

the only thing that will stop switch's sales after switch 2 is out if nintendo stops production, which honestly isn't impossible. MS and sony kinda did that after their new consoles launched this gen.

still don't think speculation, even if informed like that, replaces official info but i get it.

Sony recently revised the numbers by announcing the PS2 sold 160 million. Probably trying to move the goalpost a little bit to make it more difficult to lose the throne to Nintendo, but it seems it won't be enough.

I have a feeling that Nintendo’s fiscal year goal actually includes Switch 2’s worldwide launch month sales. The current Switch has held up extremely well in Japan and Other, but really is seeing YOY slowdown in both the U.S. and Europe.

I’d be curious to see if Nintendo even drops the price of each Switch model by $50 or something and comes out with a “Switch Selects” line of budget software, or if they hold off one more year in favor of profitability.

They really don’t need to to break PS2’s record just for PR’s sake, but I’m sure in this economic climate, maybe coming out with one more SKU and price dropping could lead to some nicer end-of-life sales.

Sony recently revised the numbers by announcing the PS2 sold 160 million. Probably trying to move the goalpost a little bit to make it more difficult to lose the throne to Nintendo, but it seems it won't be enough.
Sony did not revise or announce new sales figures in an official capacity. Jim Ryan was just rattling off accomplishments during his tenure at his retirement party. While he was an exec, that's not a really reliable source of data. People don't talk in exact numbers when informally listing accomplishments and we should expect some degree of rounding or exaggeration.

Prior to Jim's speech, the best estimate we had was 158 million. The difference between 158 million and "one hundred and sixty million" could very well boil down to significant figures. I certainly would have rounded up if I were giving a speech like that too.

However, unfortunately, we'll never really know for sure. Sony is never going to share the actual sales data. Super unsatisfying but, oh well. Nintendo just has to hit 161 million units so there is no doubt.
Nintendo is not hitting 161 million Switches sold. Second place is not bad though.

Sony did not revise or announce new sales figures in an official capacity. Jim Ryan was just rattling off accomplishments during his tenure at his retirement party. While he was an exec, that's not a really reliable source of data. People don't talk in exact numbers when informally listing accomplishments and we should expect some degree of rounding or exaggeration.

Prior to Jim's speech, the best estimate we had was 158 million. The difference between 158 million and "one hundred and sixty million" could very well boil down to significant figures. I certainly would have rounded up if I were giving a speech like that too.

However, unfortunately, we'll never really know for sure. Sony is never going to share the actual sales data. Super unsatisfying but, oh well. Nintendo just has to hit 161 million units so there is no doubt.
Nintendo is not hitting 161 million Switches sold. Second place is not bad though.
If they hit this 13m FY estimate that's 154m sold by next year. I can see them squeezing an extra 7m sales over 2025-2028 with discounted hardware.

How much did the DS sell after the 3DS came out?

If they hit this 13m FY estimate that's 154m sold by next year. I can see them squeezing an extra 7m sales over 2025-2028 with discounted hardware.

It's not impossible, but I'm expecting switch sales to drop off a cliff (much in the same way the 3DS, PS4 and XBO did) after the successor comes out and to get discontinued by FY26. I wouldn't be surprised if the sales are less than 5m for FY25 and FY26 combined.

DS and PS2 both sold well after their successors released. However, both were going for dirt cheap at that time and where being marketed towards the ultra casual and emerging markets. I just don't see Nintendo price dropping the Switch enough to capture those markets post successor launch. Would love to be proven wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

I believe it was something like north of 7 million? I could be wrong, though. I think I just read that on either InstallBase or Resetera this morning.

It's not impossible, but I'm expecting switch sales to drop off a cliff (much in the same way the 3DS, PS4 and XBO did) after the successor comes out and to get discontinued by FY26. I wouldn't be surprised if the sales are less than 5m for FY25 and FY26 combined.

DS and PS2 both sold well after their successors released. However, both were going for dirt cheap at that time and where being marketed towards the ultra casual and emerging markets. I just don't see Nintendo price dropping the Switch enough to capture those markets post successor launch. Would love to be proven wrong, but that's my gut feeling.
If you’re expecting a drop off like the 3ds then the switch will easily outsell the ps2 160+mil.
The 3ds sold 10m units after the switch release so if the next switch comes out in march and they meet their forecast then the switch would be at 155mil and would go on to sell 165 if it matches the 3ds.

Covid had a massive impact on that, production for everything was limited and it's clear Sony could have sold a ton more PS4 if they had the stock.

Back
Top Bottom