• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch sells 8.22M in Q4 2022, LTD sales are 122.55M (3rd best selling game console of all time)

There it is, it has passed the PS4. What a crazy thought back in 2017 but they absolutely did it. I don't think it can take on the DS and PS2 but it is going to very close to it. That within itself is already an amazing achievement.

The big missing point here is that Switch didn't even see a price cut in its lifetime. The profit margins for Nintendo here should be remarkable.
But it did get a Lite version, which met the need for a lower cost model for kids. That could mean a price cut to the standard system would not lengthen the sales tail by that much.

Oh yeah, if they keep making them for 2 more years it's gonna pass PS2 and DS even with huge drops.
Not sure, those holiday numbers show it’s finally slowing down, I think this year it will sell 15 million, 2024 it will sell 8 million, 2025 3 million or less

Total sold will end around 145-150 million

Strong Q3 result, but Nintendo isn't raising it's forecast. This puzzles me further with regards to talk of increased production next year.

I think what I find most interesting about the sales figures is that Nintendo is primarily blaming production as the reason for the YoY sales decline over any decrease in interest:
As for hardware, units sold declined 21.3% year-on-year to 14.91 million units, mainly due to a shortage of semiconductors and other component supplies that impacted production until around late summer.
It makes me wonder how they see sales. Do they think production increases would be enough to reverse the trend? How much are they taking natural declines in interest over time as a factor compared to production?

I’m trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Switch has now essentially sold NINE TIMES the amount of Wii U. Truly astounding.

EDIT: I can’t do math. Point still stands.

Last edited:
I think what I find most interesting about the sales figures is that Nintendo is primarily blaming production as the reason for the YoY sales decline over any decrease in interest:

It makes me wonder how they see sales. Do they think production increases would be enough to reverse the trend? How much are they taking natural declines in interest over time as a factor compared to production?
Where is that quote from? I saw one saying the exact opposite, that there were no shortages for Q3 and demand was simply down yoy.

Strong Q3 result, but Nintendo isn't raising it's forecast. This puzzles me further with regards to talk of increased production next year.

It's always possible Bloomberg were simply wrong on this one and that no increase in production is planned. Off the top of my head, it's perhaps possible Nintendo are producing more Switch units in the near term, while the resources are there, so that they've got stock to ship in the next 2 to 3 years - but again I really don't know how likely that is.

Or did Bloomberg get their wires crossed and Nintendo are set to begin manufacturing a successor system in the next fiscal year, thus raising total hardware production?

They've been saying this ever since the Switch entered a decline and yeah, it is interesting. I suspect Nintendo don't really think that behind the scenes - they've been around long enough to understand that as the device matures, a saturation point is reached. Again, part of me wonders if this language is down to plans for a successor - perhaps they still position a more powerful system as part of the Switch family; maybe they talk about it as a second generation Switch and, therefore, the Switch business is ongoing and grows again as opposed to being wound down the way a conventional console cycle would.

I'm not sure (obviously!).

Quoting my college freshman self from the initial Switch reveal thread on the old old site, as receipts that I always knew this'd be a hit:
Oh naaaa

It's so fucking hot

The name grew on me very quickly, it's very cute and accessible, but that fucking console looks hardcore as fuuck
I think the cool factor alone of seamlessly playing on the go and home will sell a lot of consoles. People might even use this to continue watching Netflix on the same device!
I'm confused when people say this is like the Wii U but better. I guess it's a greater realization of off-TV play, but otherwise, there's no dual screen gameplay. It's either a traditional single-screen home console experience, or a single-screen handheld experience.

😅

(RIP Netflix though)

But seriously, it being this successful is not surprising to me. Nintendo have effectively created their own device category where they reign supreme. I think we will be seeing this brand for a long time, even once we move away from the Tegra X1 iteration.

I'd like to quote myself from january 2017.
"If this is all Switch is going to be It'll be DoA for sure".
I wasn't too far from the truth I'd say.

I would imagine these sales do kill the potential of the Switch 2 launching after March 2025 and probably will cause the Switch 2 to release November 2024 at the latest.

Compare it to the Wii U debut trailer which didn't even show the console itself or acknowledge that it was a new console in the first place. Basically ensured it was DOA.

I actually didn't watch this trailer since the reveal, it's crazy how bad this is

Compare it to the Wii U debut trailer which didn't even show the console itself or acknowledge that it was a new console in the first place. Basically ensured it was DOA.

It is shocking how poorly thought out this is. Holy cow.

The WiiU was a product that not even it's creator knew what to do with. It was horribly under specced even on release, was irrationally expensive to manufacture due to its old ass SOC, and lacked any coherent vision in both concept and execution. It's a bit like Homers Car Design.

Explaining the WiiU to someone not into gaming was an exercise in frustration.

The Switch is understood immediately. Coupled with a concise and devilishly clever marketing campaign, it was basically like the Wii. Everyone immediately got it and everyone understood the appeal.

Bloomsbury report looking slightly more suspect now. Bloomberg reported Nintendo were back on track for 21 million this fiscal year. Nintendo did reduce their profit forecast slightly - looks like that's down to currency fluctuations with the yen and US dollar.

In fact, skimming through - the forecast for this fiscal year is actually down to 18 million from 19 million. So Bloomberg were definitely wrong on Nintendo hitting the original 21 million this fiscal year; remains to be seen if the rest of their report on production increases was correct but this does cast some doubt on it.

Mochizuki and Bloomberg are definitely not a reliable source of information.

I dunno, I re-read that Bloomberg article. It just seems poorly worded.

It reports Nintendo telling suppliers and assembly partners it plans to increase production for the next fiscal year, starting in April.

It doesn’t say Nintendo had increased production in the last few months or anything like that.

The end of the article reiterates Nintendo meeting its 19 million shipped goal for this fiscal year, then planning to increase more for next.

Where is that quote from? I saw one saying the exact opposite, that there were no shortages for Q3 and demand was simply down yoy.

Furukawa in August 2022 spoke of component shortages affecting their ability to manufacture enough Switch’s for the foreseeable future. And then said this in Nov 2022 after the q2 financial report:

“While there is a gradual improvement in semiconductor and other component supplies and a recovery trend in hardware manufacturing for Nintendo Switch, taking into consideration production and sales performances thus far, we have modified the Nintendo Switch hardware sales units forecast for the fiscal year. By continually working to front-load production and selecting appropriate transportation methods in preparation for the holiday season, we will work to deliver as many consoles as possible toconsumers in every region of the world”

Switch would need to sell 37 million in the next 2 years or more which is too much more that the hardware sales is slowing down faster and faster

There has never been a console, after selling 100+ million consoles, that sold 15+million for its FY year that didn’t go on to sell at least another ~40 million consoles.

I lived through the Wii U generation and had to see Nintendo be the laughing stock of gaming. All I wanted was for them to have another successful console. I’m good! If they decided to never make another console or game I’m good.

The Switch will pass the 160 mark for sure. People are forgetting this is a 7 year console this year. Many of us will buy replacements, new models, spares for future proofing. A price cut, mini Switch, or even an overclocked Switch will only help to reach that milestone quicker.

Very curious how much gas the Switch has left in the tank, even after its eventual successor. Switch cut the 3DS off pretty hard, with a number of 3DS releases falling relatively flat after the Switch's launch. If the successor to Switch has BC, I could see Switch software continuing to sell through, like, 2026. Even with hardware sales declining, that's a helluva userbase to shift software towards, most of whom are fine with the Switch's graphical capabilities, and BC/cross-gen is encouraging for publishers looking to hedge their bets of old reliable versus new hotness.

The Switch will pass the 160 mark for sure. People are forgetting this is a 7 year console this year. Many of us will buy replacements, new models, spares for future proofing. A price cut, mini Switch, or even an overclocked Switch will only help to reach that milestone quicker.

The catch there is you probably won't need to 'future proof' the current models of switch; in all likelihood the follow up with be backwards compatible with the entire library and so anyone looking in to future proofing will happen naturally via the new hardware.

I dunno, I re-read that Bloomberg article. It just seems poorly worded.

It reports Nintendo telling suppliers and assembly partners it plans to increase production for the next fiscal year, starting in April.

It doesn’t say Nintendo had increased production in the last few months or anything like that.

The end of the article reiterates Nintendo meeting its 19 million shipped goal for this fiscal year, then planning to increase more for next.
Yes, I know they're referring to the next fiscal year for the production boost; but the article begins by asserting that Nintendo are on track to hit 21 million this fiscal year, rather than the downward revised forecast from November (which was revised down again to 18 million today). Bloomberg also suggest the production rise is due to Nintendo thinking Switch demand is higher than they expected, which seems an odd thing to think when they've revised their hardware shipments downwards twice now.

I agree the article is confusingly written, but so is the logic behind it: I can't see how Nintendo would end up on track to ship fewer systems than expected and conclude that upping production next year because of unmet demand is the right move to make. It doesn't check out. Like I said, maybe there's some other justification for a production increase, if it is going to happen, or Bloomberg simply got something wrong.

Just to remind a lot of people. It may seem like a system at 123m and selling nearly 20m/year after 24 quarters has a pretty good shot at beating PS2. But you'd super duper say that about a system at 136m and selling more than 20m/year after 24 quarters, and yet DS still missed.

The way Switch software is holding up is the stat that really jumps out at me. It didn't just beat DS and Wii, but blew by them. Unlike them it didn't hit a peak and then start sliding noticeably; it hit a peak and basically plateaued for two years. Unless Switch software has a monumental crash without a protracted slide down as DS and Wii had, it probably ends closer to 2 billion than 1 billion.
ir02YWA.png

There has never been a console, after selling 100+ million consoles, that sold 15+million for its FY year that didn’t go on to sell at least another ~40 million consoles.
Do you mean like, just the first FY after hitting a hundo million? Because DS had an FY of 17.53 million, then sold less than 8 million for the rest of its existence.

I'm confident Switch will beat PS2 and Wii. The trajectory it is on without any major efforts to revitalize sales such as major price cuts, more money-saving bundles with games, and etc gives me the impression it will pass the two in a few years (Probably just barely. I don't think it's likely that it will reach 160m units sold). I'm not gonna try and predict what factors such as the Nintendo Parks and Mario Movie will have on this though, I don't think there's clear reasoning to assume the Switch will or will not get a bump in interest. The biggest factor of course will be when the new Switch hardware arrives and how Nintendo markets the Switch around that.

There it is, it has passed the PS4. What a crazy thought back in 2017 but they absolutely did it. I don't think it can take on the DS and PS2 but it is going to very close to it. That within itself is already an amazing achievement.
Come on. Why underestimate it now?
It’ll pass both those systems guaranteed.

Passing the ps2 and Nds seems 'doable' if it is still Nintendo's goal to lengthen the lifespan of the current Switch ecosystem, they could still throw a stronger device under the Switch line and reach no.1 but I don't know if they would really care to get there if that would lead to problems with their next generation... Interesting to see their move

Passing the ps2 and Nds seems 'doable' if it is still Nintendo's goal to lengthen the lifespan of the current Switch ecosystem, they could still throw a stronger device under the Switch line and reach no.1 but I don't know if they would really care to get there if that would lead to problems with their next generation... Interesting to see their move

They’ve said multiple times they intend to extend the life of the system. Don’t know why people continue to doubt this. Nintendo must be like “we keep telling them the switch will have a long life. Why do they keep doubting us?? Ok we must tell them again I guess”

They’ve said multiple times they intend to extend the life of the system. Don’t know why people continue to doubt this. Nintendo must be like “we keep telling them the switch will have a long life. Why do they keep doubting us?? Ok we must tell them again I guess”

I mean, it's just that the sales of the Switch and its software are starting to decline in its old age so it's natural to expect a successor soon based on all angles.

This is crazy. They really hit the jackpot here, glad it didn't flop.
As much as Nintendo is just a company trying to make buttloads of cash, they have my favourite IPs, so glad they are still kicking after the Wii U.

Yes, I know they're referring to the next fiscal year for the production boost; but the article begins by asserting that Nintendo are on track to hit 21 million this fiscal year, rather than the downward revised forecast from November (which was revised down again to 18 million today). Bloomberg also suggest the production rise is due to Nintendo thinking Switch demand is higher than they expected, which seems an odd thing to think when they've revised their hardware shipments downwards twice now.

I agree the article is confusingly written, but so is the logic behind it: I can't see how Nintendo would end up on track to ship fewer systems than expected and conclude that upping production next year because of unmet demand is the right move to make. It doesn't check out. Like I said, maybe there's some other justification for a production increase, if it is going to happen, or Bloomberg simply got something wrong.

I have to assume the 21 million figure was meant to be about the upcoming fiscal year production.

The article clearly states their sources said the ramp up in production would begin in April.

The end of the article clearly reiterates Nintendo’s (then) plan of 19 million shipped for this fiscal year. Nintendo in Nov 2022 lowered their projections from 21 million to 19 million because they knew they wouldnt be able to produce enough to ship that much. In Nov they knew this.

Nothing in the article mentions any increase in production in Dec or January or Feb.

So…the idea that the 21 million projection was for this fiscal year makes no sense.

People didn't just simply doubt it. People just asked how and we've learned taking their comments to shareholders can mean nothing lol.

Do you mean like, just the first FY after hitting a hundo million? Because DS had an FY of 17.53 million, then sold less than 8 million for the rest of its existence.

Yep. Just after hitting 100 million.

You are trying to compare a drop after selling 17 million after 130 million saturation vs 18 million after 100 million…that’s different.

Also, that 17 million FY sales for the DS after the 130 million mark was a 40% drop from the previous fiscal year. Which itself was a drop from the year before that.

This FY for switch will only be a 20% drop from what was its peak year.

I mean, it's just that the sales of the Switch and its software are starting to decline in its old age so it's natural to expect a successor soon based on all angles.
But we also know Nintendo like many other corporations are greedy and will milk a cash cow till the utters are dry, especially when it comes to their handheld consoles. As long as they got the software, they can afford to wait. To me, it makes zero sense to leave money on the table regardless of what graphics hungry enthusiasts are screaming for. I agree the switch hardware is getting long in the tooth but why rush something new and untested to market when you are reigning supreme on what you got now.

Also, that 17 million FY sales for the DS after the 130 million mark was a 40% drop from the previous fiscal year. Which itself was a drop from the year before that.

This FY for switch will only be a 20% drop from what was its peak year.
I think you're off by one on Switch's peak year. DS's 17.53m year was it down 44% from its peak two years previous. If Switch hits 18m this year it will be a 38% drop from its peak two years previous. Switch hardware isn't holding up particularly better than DS's so far--its saving grace going forward is that a successor isn't releasing today.

People didn't just simply doubt it. People just asked how and we've learned taking their comments to shareholders can mean nothing lol.
So why believe anything they say then?
Seems to me when Nintendo’s narrative is different to what they want to hear, they assume Nintendo must be lying.

So why believe anything they say then?
Seems to me when Nintendo’s narrative is different to what they want to hear, they assume Nintendo must be lying.
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Nintendo has lied before. And lying to shareholders isn't some crazy idea. A lot just try to understand if they smokescreening or telling the truth when they talk to shareholders and whatnot.

But also, when I said " how" i mean people assumes a newer piece of hardware still in the switch line that would help extend its life. People tried to make sense how the console was going to last 7 or so years.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Nintendo has lied before. And lying to shareholders isn't some crazy idea. A lot just try to understand if they smokescreening or telling the truth when they talk to shareholders and whatnot.

But also, when I said " how" i mean people assumes a newer piece of hardware still in the switch line that would help extend its life. People tried to make sense how the console was going to last 7 or so years.
So you think in this case, they've lied multiple times to shareholders about the switch being in the middle of it's life and not to expect a new console anytime soon? Seems to be dangerous grounds to tread on for them no?

So you think in this case, they've lied multiple times to shareholders about the switch being in the middle of it's life and not to expect a new console anytime soon? Seems to be dangerous grounds to tread on for them no?
Personally, I thought it supported the idea they were putting new hardware. I felt like most believed that.

I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking they simply lied about the switch being in the middle of its life because I think all of those comments were mostly to shareholders. Of course they did lie about hardware during the ds/3ds years. I forget exactly what it was but ever since then people just took their comments with a little grain of salt when it came to hardware.

Personally, I thought it supported the idea they were putting new hardware. I felt like most believed that.

I wouldn't fault anyone for thinking they simply lied about the switch being in the middle of its life because I think all of those comments were mostly to shareholders. Of course they did lie about hardware during the ds/3ds years. I forget exactly what it was but ever since then people just took their comments with a little grain of salt when it came to hardware.
I agree about their dishonesty in the past, but in the case of the switch and their comments on life expectancy, they seemed to go out of their way multiple times to tell us the systems lifespan when know one was even asking. Looking back at their comments, i think they were telling us that they believed in this system. They believed they've found the missing link they've been looking for all these many generations and they were gonna run it all the way. Remember when Kimisjhima (a business head) told us around the start of the console launch they were looking at Wii like sales. Most of us laughed. Silly Nintendo looking at 100 million seller with another under powered system. Silly Nintendo...They knew from back then the system would be where it is now. They had a game plan for the next generation and that game plan was to stretch it for 7 to 10 years.

I generally don't do much with what a company tells me to trust, there are always multiple plans and multiple angles. Nintendo (like any company) measures all of their sales data and alligns their plan based on predictions and measures in ways that go beyond our knowledge, there will always be a certain neccessity to 'mislead' the customer to reach a target and that is just part of the business, to me it is nothing strange but just part of a strategy.

An example: Switch wants to reach a certain milestone with their current device sales, they're at 90 million now and have a month or 3 to go. They have told investors to expect sales at 100 million at the end if the fiscal year. BUT HEY look at that, Bloomberg comes out with a hit piece that talks about a new generation and it will release in just 4 months. What would you do if you were one of the head honchos in charge of Nintendo's financials at this point? You would certainly NOT acknowledge the existence of the new device or you would dampen the sales of the Switch.

The one "core" thing I learned to believe what makes Nintendo stand out in their business (what they keep repeating as well) is that will always aim to surprise its customers / fans / devouts. It's what they need to stay relevant in a volatile business that is all about what's currently hot.

I have to assume the 21 million figure was meant to be about the upcoming fiscal year production.

The article clearly states their sources said the ramp up in production would begin in April.

The end of the article clearly reiterates Nintendo’s (then) plan of 19 million shipped for this fiscal year. Nintendo in Nov 2022 lowered their projections from 21 million to 19 million because they knew they wouldnt be able to produce enough to ship that much. In Nov they knew this.

Nothing in the article mentions any increase in production in Dec or January or Feb.

So…the idea that the 21 million projection was for this fiscal year makes no sense.
I'm not sure why you think I need this last bit pointing out. I've not once said that the production increase was happening this fiscal year. I'd suggest you re-read my posts.

The Bloomberg article begins by stating
Nintendo Co. plans to increase production of its six-year-old Switch console in the coming fiscal year after shipping roughly 21 million Switch consoles in the year ending March, according to people familiar with the matter.

Bloomberg claim that Nintendo would hit 21 million shipments this fiscal year, and they claim that's why Nintendo want to increase production in the next fiscal year. My issue with that logic is pretty simple: if Nintendo haven't hit 21 million this fiscal year, why would they want to raise production in the next fiscal year? What indication do Nintendo have that there is higher than expected demand, if shipments are lower than expected?

I'm not saying Bloomberg are dead set wrong, but their reporting here doesn't quite make sense, and at least one claim they've made (21 million shipped in the fiscal year ending March) is demonstrably wrong. Maybe a production increase is still happening, but I am skeptical.

Edit - this probably isn't worth arguing about, because it occurs to me that the '21 million' figure Bloomberg give in their article could easily be a typo that hasn't been corrected.

I think you're off by one on Switch's peak year. DS's 17.53m year was it down 44% from its peak two years previous. If Switch hits 18m this year it will be a 38% drop from its peak two years previous. Switch hardware isn't holding up particularly better than DS's so far--its saving grace going forward is that a successor isn't releasing today.

?

FY year ending March 2023 = ~18 million
FY year ending March 2022 = 23.06 million
FY year ending March 2021 = 20.32 million

The Switch peak was last FY, not two years previous.

It was a ~20% drop from its peak.

[edit: was later corrected on my error here]

Last edited:
?

FY year ending March 2023 = ~18 million
FY year ending March 2022 = 23.06 million
FY year ending March 2021 = 20.32 million

The Switch peak was last FY, not two years previous.

It was a ~20% drop from its peak.
FY ending March '21 was 28.82 million, i think the 20.32 million figure you have is for the OG Switch, the Switch Lite also sold 8.5 million.

Last edited:
The big missing point here is that Switch didn't even see a price cut in its lifetime. The profit margins for Nintendo here should be remarkable.
Nintendo Net Profit margin always more than 20%. As per 31st December 2022 (9 months period), Nintendo revenue = $9.8 Billion & net profit = $2.6 Billion, that's is 26.5% net profit margin ! If using an operating profit (it's $3.1 Billion), that are 31.6% profit margin ! Absolutely crazy. I think only Apple have high profit margin likes Nintendo 👍. That's why people's said Nintendo is Apple's of gaming & Apple is Nintendo's of technology 😁.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom