• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo Switch sells 8.22M in Q4 2022, LTD sales are 122.55M (3rd best selling game console of all time)

FY ending March '21 was 28.82 million, i think the 20.32 million figure you have is for the OG switch, the Switch Lite also sold 8.5 million.

Ugh, you are totally right. Now I see the disconnect!

My bad. Apologies to the poster I was responding to.

Still, switch has a different parabola and trajectory than the DS.

DS had two years of huge peaks and then fell off relatively quickly. Switch has a smaller peak but a more wide plateau.

DS went from ~31 million to ~27 million to ~17 million to ~5 million

Switch went from ~28 million to ~23 million to ~18 million.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this next FY Switch matches or exceeds ~18 million. To expect a similar DS drop off to ~5-10 million like just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Regional Hardware

ON0wx54.png

Regional Software

WEh3rOu.png

For Year over year hardware everywhere was down but Europe and Other tanked the worst. For software Japan had it's best quarter ever, Europe was slightly down and Other was flat. The drop in software was almost entirely down to the America's declining by 9 million from a year ago.

I made these because I was curious what they'd look like. Visually I guess the thing that jumps out at me most is noticing DS+Wii+NSW make up more software than the other 8 systems.
f0o89rs.png

iDQISfT.png

Top 100 Nintendo Published games as of 31st December, 2022.

Pokemon S/V and Kirby ATFL enter the top 100 knocking out Super Smash Bros for Wii U (5.38m)
Good riddance

Damn that 30 million tier is stacked, a lot of games there. BOTW will definitely be past 30 million by the next quarter though, especially with the ongoing sale.

BOTW and Smash Ultimate will both knock out the NSMB duo from the top 10 next quarter, which is a long time coming.

Hopefully Switch can reach a tie ratio of 9. Would be neat.
Software sales are maintaining better than hardware, so that will happen easy. The measurement becomes less meaningful if a bunch of Switch software continues to be sold for use on Switch 2 hardware, but oh well.

Nintendo Switch's calendar year sales compared to Nintendo's most successful handheld and home console (DS & Wii) and their last handheld and home console (3DS & Wii U). In it's 6th Calendar year (purple) Switch ships 19.01 million versus 19.46 million for DS, 4.41 million for Wii, 7.36 million for 3DS and the Wii U at this point had already ended production and been discontinued 2 years prior.

DeQmhdj.png

97GJVKK.png

vEmkTKF.png

pZdVtMF.png

qVUCHyR.png

Last edited:
Nintendo Switch's calendar year sales compared to Nintendo's most successful handheld and home console (DS & Wii) and their last handheld and home console (3DS & Wii U). In it's 6th Calendar year (purple) Switch ships 19.01 million versus 19.46 million for DS, 4.41 million for Wii, 7.36 million for 3DS and the Wii U at this point had already ended production and been discontinued 2 years prior.
And there seems every chance year 7 it could match DS+Wii+3DS (14.69).

And there seems every chance year 7 it could match DS+Wii+3DS (14.69).
All those console's had successors released before or during their seventh year, that is the reason DS sales tanked in year 7. I'm expecting Switch to sell 15 million in 2023 if there isn't a new console which i don't think there will be until 2024.

Last edited:
The FYQ4 report is out on Tuesday morning, I'm thinking 3.05 million for hardware and 42 million for software and a forecast of 14 million hardware and 150 million software for the current fiscal year. It will also be close if Metroid Prime Remastered and Fire Emblem: Engage can hit 2 million, i think they will both just fall short.

The FYQ4 report is out on Tuesday morning, I'm thinking 3.05 million for hardware and 42 million for software and a forecast of 14 million hardware and 150 million software for the current fiscal year. It will also be close if Metroid Prime Remastered and Fire Emblem: Engage can hit 2 million, i think they will both just fall short.
For me this coming Nintendo financial report Switch sold 3.5 million last quarter to become 126 million total

Back
Top Bottom