• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Switch Online - SNES April 2024 Update (SUPER R-TYPE, Wrecking Crew ’98, Amazing Hebereke; Marvelous: Another Treasure Island in Japan)

Wrecking Crew 98 is fun but I'm having trouble figuring out how to win since I can't read the in-game tutorials. I'll have to look at a guide.

Super R-Type is also fun but in traditional SNES Shmup fashion it lags a lot in some areas.

I know that the Japanese games we get on NSO are there specifically because Nintendo looks at them and goes "yeah, a child could figure this out without reading, so no need to do any localization work" and they're pretty much right, but I still wish there was a small team dedicated to doing such work for these titles.

I know that the Japanese games we get on NSO are there specifically because Nintendo looks at them and goes "yeah, a child could figure this out without reading, so no need to do any localization work" and they're pretty much right, but I still wish there was a small team dedicated to doing such work for these titles.
Translation requires a full QA check. More likely they’d do a paid bundle of translated stuff instead of as part of NSO

There's more than enough Japanese exclusive games for I think an NSO mass translation. If Nintendo just wants to one and done it. Even if they were exclusive to expansion members.

But I do figure Nintendo is thinking about, "If we retranslate these games, we should do them for as many languages as possible." And the need to get all the subsidiaries working on these is just considered too much if a hassle (and expense) for how cheap NSO is.

There's more than enough Japanese exclusive games for I think an NSO mass translation. If Nintendo just wants to one and done it. Even if they were exclusive to expansion members.

But I do figure Nintendo is thinking about, "If we retranslate these games, we should do them for as many languages as possible." And the need to get all the subsidiaries working on these is just considered too much if a hassle (and expense) for how cheap NSO is.
Keep in mind too that it’s very possible the source code for many of these games may no longer exist which would be necessary without getting into more expensive methods like romhacks and in-memory shenanigans. And these games may not be designed with flexibility in their UI or text is baked into image files, etc.

And that’s even before you get into things like QA as @Mandos said and the cost of localization of the text itself.

Keep in mind too that it’s very possible the source code for many of these games may no longer exist which would be necessary without getting into more expensive methods like romhacks and in-memory shenanigans. And these games may not be designed with flexibility in their UI or text is baked into image files, etc.

And that’s even before you get into things like QA as @Mandos said and the cost of localization of the text itself.
I personally believe the SNES-GBA game codes still exist in Nintendo's offices. Especially the late era ones. The NES ones are debatable.

I do think the biggest barrier is the sub service.

The late Wii U efforts such as Mario Advance and Fire Emblem NES (Which was running on a Wii U era emulator we know.) Show us there were at least plans to possibly go into these old games and reedit them for translations and such. But the change of service now makes the feasibility of those efforts difficult.

They're trying to find out who the real ones are.

I'm not a real one
Look it’s not like I’ve actually played it.

But that’s ok. You’re ok. Even Darden’s ok.

Enjoy the lucky day y’all:

ten_thousand.png

Am I crazy or didn't DKC3 also have some kind of Mario 64 reference? Like, couldn't Wrinkly Kong sometimes be playing it and you could hear Inside the Castle Walls when you'd visit her
Yeah. Certain random times the game will show her playing Mario 64 and the music will play.

Nintendo, baby, you're saying Wrecking Crew '98 like I'm supposed to know what that is.
So basically Nintendo actually sort of just kept supporting the SFC/SNES in Japan throughout the entirety of the N64's life. This title is from one of Nintendo's various Japan-only digital distribution experiments, specifically the Nintendo Power (don't think there's any relation to the magazine) rewritable cartridges.

From what I can tell, it seems to be sort of an alternate take on Wrecking Crew that's more of a competitive puzzle game where the goal is to fill your opponent's play field.

So basically Nintendo actually sort of just kept supporting the SFC/SNES in Japan throughout the entirety of the N64's life. This title is from one of Nintendo's various Japan-only digital distribution experiments, specifically the Nintendo Power (don't think there's any relation to the magazine) rewritable cartridges.

From what I can tell, it seems to be sort of an alternate take on Wrecking Crew that's more of a competitive puzzle game where the goal is to fill your opponent's play field.
I can imagine it was called Nintendo Power just because Nintendo already owned the trademark from the magazine, but that's the extent of a possible relation.

I can imagine it was called Nintendo Power just because Nintendo already owned the trademark from the magazine, but that's the extent of a possible relation.
The magazine was always an NoA thing. I think it's a lot more likely it was a coincidence.

I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo celebrated Famicom's 15th anniversary with those later Nintendo Power games. SNES Dr. Mario (released with Tetris in the West), the Famicom Detective Club remake, Super Famicom Wars (which was basically a remake), and Wrecking Crew '98 (which includes the OG game) were part of this celebration.

Actually realised that since February, we've been getting 4 to 5 games on NSO each month. Hopefully that cadence can continue.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread. Was Googling to see how many games came out in the last drop and ended up here!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom