• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo Switch Metacritic Scores

Goht

Masked Mechanical Monster
I had too much time today and decided to check out Metacritic scores for Switch. This shows the score distribution for all 1,894 Switch games on the site.

There are over 10,000 Switch games overall and the majority don't get enough reviews to qualify. You can assume that if they did, these averages would be lower. The games that get reviewed tend to be higher quality.

But I think it's helpful to know that 73-74 is roughly an average Metacritic score. Or 79-80 for first-party games.

gFPpkBB.png

P.S. Don't take Metacritic too seriously. I'm not a review score diehard by any means. This stuff is just fun for me.

whats the lowest nintendo published here

Flip Wars is the game with a 53 Metacritic. 2017 eShop title developed by some Japanese studio called Over Fence that Nintendo decided to publish outside Japan for some reason. Their website died a few months after this game released, and I can't find any immediate information on anything they've done since, so take that as you will. Looks like OP missed putting down Everybody 1-2-Switch at 54 on that chart, though. Pour one out for Stinky Horse.

I was surprised to see a Metascore under 20 but it was some small game released right after the Switch’s launch but before MK8D so it managed to be super bad while being notable enough to review

whats the lowest nintendo published here
Flip Wars ... 53
Everybody 1-2-Switch! ... 54
1-2-Switch ... 58
Go Vacation ... 62
Dr Kawashima's Brain Training ... 64
Pokemon Cafe Mix ... 64

Good catch on Everybody 1-2-Switch. I marked the Nintendo games by hand.

Switch has 926 games rated fresh/75 or higher.
509 rated 80 or higher.

But yeah, don't take Metacritic too seriously. Some of my favourite games are rated below 75 or aren't rated at all.

Glad to see the first and best Switch game, BotW, at the top with 97.

That said, I do not take reviews scores seriously as they mean nothing so I am very concerned BotW might actually be factually bad.

Flip Wars is the game with a 53 Metacritic. 2017 eShop title developed by some Japanese studio called Over Fence that Nintendo decided to publish outside Japan for some reason. Their website died a few months after this game released, and I can't find any immediate information on anything they've done since, so take that as you will. Looks like OP missed putting down Everybody 1-2-Switch at 54 on that chart, though. Pour one out for Stinky Horse.

this was part of really early switch promo with miis iirc

Related:

Metacritic's Top 10 publishers (based on 2023 games):
1. Capcom
2. Raw Fury
3. Chorus
4. Dangen
5. Annapurna
6. Nintendo
7. Aksys
8. Bethesda
9. Sega
10. Thunderful

Compared to other platforms this isn‘t too bad. Though I get that people feel like the Switch has to much Shovelware. Like there are twice as many games in the eShop compared to the Playstation Store.

If the eShop would be as good in Filtering the Games like Steam, this wouldn‘t be much of an issue. But as it currently is, the eShop brings with its dependance of showing recent or cheapest games (Sales) so prominently, the worst games in the foreground.

Last edited:
it's messed up that I'm genuinely starting to feel nostalgia for early Switch marketing and games
There was soemthing special about that time, there were so few games people Bassically played all of them, fast rmx, snipper clips, bomberman R and arms for example, even if they not all wouldn’t have

Back
Top Bottom