• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch becomes the best-selling console of 2022 in the UK

The Switch whenever people presume it dead:

9zcb3O8.gif

[INT. NINTENDO OFFICE - NIGHT]

FURUKAWA is in a dark office, lit only by a small lamp and the glow of his laptop screen. A meek, nervous intern walks into the room holding a piece of paper.

INTERN
Sir… we just got a fax from the UK office. We… we did it. We were #1 in the country. Pulled it off right at the finish line. Here.​

The INTERN hands FURUKAWA the paper. FURUKAWA glances down at the paper, the glow of his laptop screen filling his glasses with a bright, white light that hides his expression.

FURUKAWA
Thank you. You’re dismissed. It’s late, go home for the evening. Keep the cab receipt, I’ll reimburse.

INTERN
Th-thank you, sir!​

The INTERN leaves the office hurriedly. FURUKAWA looks back to his laptop screen. Camera moves to over his shoulder to reveal he’s staring at a spreadsheet. Punch-in on a line reading “SWITCH 2 RELEASE: HOLIDAY 2023.” Cut to FURUKAWA’s face, his natural frown raising into a small smirk. He cracks his knucles. Cut back to spreadsheet as he makes an edit:

SWITCH 2 RELEASE: HOLIDAY 2023_

SWITCH 2 RELEASE: HOLIDAY 202_

SWITCH 2 RELEASE: HOLIDAY 2024_

(I’ll post this here too)

Just market leader things

And people wonder why it's taking Nintendo so long to put out new hardware. I was anticipating Switch 2 for early next year, but I might start leaning towards the holidays

the thing is even if sales start to slow down noticeably nintendo sill has the price cut card to play...
Price cut and Limited edition consoles. While the latter they started implementing in 2022, and if we go by rumours with Zelda, they can still do more to get people to double dip.

Were people wailing and pounding their fists for Sony to move on from PS2 like we are seeing with the Switch? Just curious.
I assume not since it was just 6 years between them, less than PS4 to PS5.

Also Kimishima said yeaaaars ago that the Switch's expected lifetime is 7-10 years, idk why people didn't believe that

I am quite proud of Nintendo’s performance this whole entire generation worldwide. They have done great consecutively each and every year. Now they can ride out 2023 as they prepare themselves to release new hardware in 2024

Could someone check for which years was this the case since the Switch launch on the UK market? I would assume all, maybe not 2017, but I am not sure.
Probably 2019-2022. PS5 should be the best selling platform this year.

Could someone check for which years was this the case since the Switch launch on the UK market? I would assume all, maybe not 2017, but I am not sure.
After a quick check. I believe what @storres said is correct. PS4 was the best selling console in the UK in 2017 and 2018; after that, Switch ended up ahead of the competition from 2019 to 2022.

Pretty strange for a low-budget iterative device

"B-BUT ITS SO OLD! NO ONE WANTS IT ANYMORE! WE NEED A REVISION!"
Switch 2 is coming 2025. Cope and seethe.

Please don't tell people to "cope and seethe" even if your opinion is right. It's not the vibe

Were people wailing and pounding their fists for Sony to move on from PS2 like we are seeing with the Switch? Just curious.
They didn't need to. By this time PS3 had long since been announced and software was being shown off, at least in the form of dev kit footage and target renders.

is PS2 still in contention for the switch?
If the next few years were a gradual slide down of worldwide 15m, 10m, 5m it would be right behind DS and PS2. But things like precise timing of successor and future availability/price of older models could sway things heavily in either direction.

At this point it wont overtake Ps2 and Ds only if/because Nintendo will stop production 1 year after the DlsSwitch release on the market
Let's assume, as a thought exercise, a April 2024 release of the switch 2, followed by a price drop/ultra low cost switch that is still in production. Under that situation, and assuming the switch would be north of 140 millions sold by the time the switch 2 releases (plus 2 years of cross-generation releases) I totally see the switch legging up to the DS, even the PS2 at the end of its life.

However, It would require two things to happen simultaneously, and they are not guaranteed:
  1. Release during March 2014 at the earliest. Assuming the switch meets its FY forecast of 19M units sold by the end of FY2023, it would put it at 126.6M sold by March 31, 2023. So assuming no new hardware release during FY24, I see it selling another 14 Million (a soft but notable drop), thus, having sales of 140M by March 2024. Only then I think the switch can leg up all the way to the 155M+ needed to reach the PS2.
  2. Several cheaper form factors would have to be released ($99 lite, anyone?) and permanent price drops for the console would have to be released AFTER the release of its successor. This would allow the switch to leg up to the PS2 years after the switch 2 releases. The PS2 for example, had reached 117M by the end of FY07, 4 months after the release of the PS3, and took five more years to leg up to where it is now. But this is a particular situation that might not be repeated again, considering the slow start of the PS3 and the DVD player use of the PS2. Also, Nintendo consoles don't have a good history with end-of-life cheap revisions, the gameboy micro and the Wii mini flopped.
So, even though it is not impossible at all, it is going to be difficult. It is definitely gonna end up in the 3rd position though, close to the DS and comfortably ahead to the 4th place. My personal prediction is for a Switch 2 release in Holiday 2023, and switch 1 LTD sales reaching but not quite surpassing 150M units.

Last edited:
Of course Switch overtook PS5 - PS5 is heavy and slow and cannot run very fast. The Switch is small and nimble, and is therefore able to run faster. The fact Switch only just managed this should not be applauded, and is instead proof that Nintendo are lazy.

Nintendo has positioned the Switch well for a replacement as long as they have some sort of Crossgen ability and BC. They can slip the Next Switch right in at the top price point and then begin price cuts on the old Hardware to keep it moving to price conscious consumers

perfidious albion has fallen to the nintendomination

is PS2 still in contention for the switch?

Not quite

Better explanation below:

Let's assume, as a thought exercise, a April 2024 release of the switch 2, followed by a price drop/ultra low cost switch that is still in production. Under that situation, and assuming the switch would be north of 140 millions sold by the time the switch 2 releases (plus 2 years of cross-generation releases) I totally see the switch legging up to the DS, even the PS2 at the end of its life.

However, It would require two things to happen simultaneously, and they are not guaranteed:
  1. Release during March 2014 at the earliest. Assuming the switch meets its FY forecast of 19M units sold by the end of FY2023, it would put it at 126.6M sold by March 31, 2023. So assuming no new hardware release during FY24, I see it selling another 14 Million (a soft but notable drop), thus, having sales of 140M by March 2024. Only then I think the switch can leg up all the way to the 155+ needed to reach the PS2.
  2. Several cheaper form factors would have to be released ($99 lite, anyone?) and permanent price drops for the console would have to be released AFTER the release of its successor. This would allow the switch to leg up to the PS2 years after the switch 2 releases. The PS2 for example, had reached 117M by the end of FY07, 4 months after the release of the PS3, and took five more years to leg up to where it is now. But this is a particular situation that might not be repeated again, considering the slow start of the PS3 and the DVD player use of the PS2. Also, Nintendo consoles don't have a good history with end-of-life cheap revisions, the gameboy micro and the Wii mini flopped.
So, even though it is not impossible at all, it is going to be difficult. It is definitely gonna end up in the 3rd position though, really to the DS and comfortably ahead to the 4th place. My personal prediction is for a Switch 2 release in Holiday 2023, and switch 1 LTD sales reaching but not quite surpassing 150M units.

I think that, if at the end of this FY (March 23) it will be around 125k, it could end around 145k as LT sales

So, not reaching Ds nor Ps2

But still impressive

Still a good turn around for Nintendo, as the UK was one of their weakest markets for a long time. Good on them!

[*]Several cheaper form factors would have to be released ($99 lite, anyone?)
Accounting for inflation, I think anything under $125US today would be cheaper than any major manufacturer has sold hardware they're not being forced to clearance.

"B-BUT ITS SO OLD! NO ONE WANTS IT ANYMORE! WE NEED A REVISION!"
If I would buy a Switch now I would he happy, because I have some of the best games of all times to play that looks and plays still great.

If you bought a Switch in 2017/18/19/20 it would be normal to be tired of it and looking for something new.

Of course Switch overtook PS5 - PS5 is heavy and slow and cannot run very fast. The Switch is small and nimble, and is therefore able to run faster. The fact Switch only just managed this should not be applauded, and is instead proof that Nintendo are lazy.
the switch has forward facing eyes, sharp claws and hunts in packs. the PS5 never stood a chance.

Looking at '22 Vs '21 or '20 sales trajectory and historical data, taking in consideration factors like age, install base, possible new system seller software and new hardware launch..we.know, I would say.
People didn't think the switch would be the best selling console in the uk

People didn't think the switch would be the best selling console in the uk

Switch in the UK was
#1 but with significant decrease YoY
Being able to reach 150mil+ target we were discussing won't be a matter of comparative performance with actual competition but a matter of global raw numbers
Its UK performance have been able to grant this #1 result (also due to next gen harder shortages) but actually confirms what I was saying about sales trajectory
I think it was around -20% YoY in the UK for example (still we don't have the full year picture) at the end of november

The Switch can and will coast along for a good 4 years still. With price cuts coming when the Switch 2 releases and a 1+ year cross-gen period it's not out of the realm of possibility at all.

I definitely think it will be right on the edge, though. It's gonna end up somewhere around 150 million when it's all said and done, question is exactly where.

Switch in the UK was
#1 but with significant decrease YoY
Being able to reach 150mil+ target we were discussing won't be a matter of comparative performance with actual competition but a matter of global raw numbers
Its UK performance have been able to grant this #1 result (also due to next gen harder shortages) but actually confirms what I was saying about sales trajectory
I think it was around -20% YoY in the UK for example (still we don't have the full year picture) at the end of november
Is 15 million+ realistic bc that would take it to ~140 million if it reaches 125 million at the end of this fy

Looking at '22 Vs '21 or '20 sales trajectory and historical data, taking in consideration factors like age, install base, possible new system seller software and new hardware launch..we.know, I would say.

Does your prediction consider price cuts?

I'm still believing that if Nintendo cut the price for all of current Switch variants for $50 - $100 or bundle it with the game, it's will be selling well for another 2 - 3 years because it's become a budget console with so many good games. So for me, it's will be selling around 160 millions

If it then sells another 10 million the next FY, I think it's gonna be the best selling system ever

Looking at

• sales trajectory
  • new hardware introduzione
  • chip/production issues (that will deviate also production into the new hardware only)
  • past Nintendo management of orevious gen hw after new gen hw introduzione
  • recent sony management of gen transition

I would project

-123mil this FY
  • 137mil next FY
  • 142mil FY ending in March '25
  • 145mil end of life

Back
Top Bottom