• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters

No bc? Sounds like a good reason for Nintendo to release more upgraded switch ports on switch 2

Like others have said, I wouldn't put much stock into this one.

Tbh, I don't think we will get any solid information regarding backwards compatibility until it comes from Nintendo's own lips

It's Nick, so he's still likely wrong
Nick and the 400/450 rumor aren't the only things pointing towards there being a digital only model. Nintendo has been pushing consumers to buy digital more lately and the contradiction on BC in the VGC report would make a lot more sense if it was because there's two different models, one of which will not be compatible with switch 1 carts.

Nick and the 400/450 rumor aren't the only things pointing towards there being a digital only model. Nintendo has been pushing consumers to buy digital more lately and the contradiction on BC in the VGC report would make a lot more sense if it was because there's two different models, one of which will not be compatible with switch 1 carts.
But the $400/450 rumor also used the NG codename, which apparently isn’t the real one.

An obvious fake rumor and a known bullshitter are not actually evidence of a two sku digital only model at launch. Don't let fake rumors fuel your confirmation bias when we don't really have compelling information either way.

I do think that possibility is on the table, especially for the NA and UK markets where digital adoption is the strongest. However we went 7 years having people predict the "obvious" tv only Switch and the "obvious" more powerful Switch Pro which both ended up never happening. We had far more smoke for a Switch Pro then there has been for a digital only Switch 2.

why so persist to an obvious fake rumour....

i say why in my post: because there's other things besides those two dubious rumors that point towards nintendo doing the PS5 model route.
heh, so even it's a fake information doesn't make the whole block of information invalid.
also i'm sure nick just parrot that info. if he was right we should already get Switch pro announced on Direct 2 years ago

Ideally a console would last the entire generation, but my launch switch was in a bad way by the time the oled came out so it was a pretty easy choice to upgrade. If the launch 2witch goes the same way I wouldn't say no to a mid gen refresh. Whether it "needs" it is debatable, but it will undoubtedly be profitable.

Ideally a console would last the entire generation, but my launch switch was in a bad way by the time the oled came out so it was a pretty easy choice to upgrade. If the launch 2witch goes the same way I wouldn't say no to a mid gen refresh. Whether it "needs" it is debatable, but it will undoubtedly be profitable.
if the switch 2 has a lcd like rumored than yeah im guess a oled upgrade might come later down the line at least

A digital only Switch 2 would likely be mor e expensive to produce than with a card slot due to manufacturing issues with two different models so I lean towards no.

But Nintendo really wants people to stop buying physical games so there’s a small chance.

I would say that Nintendo wants to enlarge the percentage of people that buy digital. Ts it fair to assume that the digital/physical ratio is lower for Nintendo than Playstation?
Yeah I think that is correct. I was trying to look this up a few weeks ago...

digital-sales.large.jpg

Also, 77% of Nintendo Switch software sales are physical

My day one Switch will get its well deserved rest the day Switch 2 is out. It has to make it that long at this point.

The issue with a digital only model is that you risk losing sales by physical purchasers. That goes doubly when physical purchasers include price sensitive markets like kids, who are less likely to have a credit card, who are more likely to browse and window shop, who might want to get a game under the Christmas tree.

Nintendo also risk losing or reducing the marketing opportunity that comes from a retail presence, and that can also support sales of secondary stuff like branded plushies and coffee mugs.

Maybe Nintendo profit more from digital sales, but I'm not convinced that that outweighs the sales that they'd risk losing if they create an additional barrier to physical purchases, especially among those who opt for a cheaper model.

Basically, I don't see it as an easy way to enhance profits like some people.

Doing way too precise of predictions for the Switch 2's software lineup and the timing

September 2024 (launch): 3D Mario Next (exclusive), new casual IP (exclusive), NBA 2K25, Madden 25, College Football 25, Cyberpunk 2077 Complete Edition

October 2024: Assassin’s Creed Red, Resident Evil 7+8, EA FC25, Mario Party Next

November 2024: Pokemon Legends Unova, Mortal Kombat 1 Switch 2 patch

December 2024: Final Fantasy IX Remake, Fortnite native Switch 2 version

January 2025: Monster Hunter Next, Dying Light 2

February 2025: Kingdom Hearts All-In-One Package, Camelot Mario Sports Next

March 2025: Metaphor RE Dumb bullshit, EPD Tokyo 2D platformer

April 2025: Hollow Knight Silksong, Fire Emblem 4 Remake, Mass Effect Legendary Edition

May 2025: Metroid Prime 4, MGS3 Delta

June 2025: Twilight Princess HD, Street Fighter VI, Star Wars Jedi new games,

July 2025: College Football 26, Chrono Trigger Remake, Xenoblade Warriors

August 2025: Genshin Impact, Madden 26, Nier Replicant,

September 2025: Mario Kart Next (exclusive), NBA 2K26

October 2025: Far Cry 7, Call of Duty 2025, Warzone 2, Honkai: Star Rail, EA FC 26

November 2025: Pokemon Gen 10

Games not listed here because 2026 or later: KH4, DQ12, Hades 2, Earthblade, Bioshock 4, Judas, Elden Ring Switch 2 port, Red Dead 2, Nier 3, FF14, FF7R1+I+2, Metroid 6, Luigi’s Mansion 4, Sonic Frontiers 2, Persona 3 Remake Complete Edition, RE2, RE4, FF7 Ever Crisis

Games not listed here because I don’t think they’ll come to the Switch 2: GTA6

Did this exercise just because games will likely be staggered to avoid overlap among publisher, genre, etc and wanted to see how it would look. Could see a few more GaaS games (Rainbow Six Siege etc) fitting in some of these months and probably 1-2 more outsourced Nintendo games.

Yeah I think that is correct. I was trying to look this up a few weeks ago...

digital-sales.large.jpg

Also, 77% of Nintendo Switch software sales are physical

So they could release a digital-only version to make that percentage bigger. And market the existance of e-shop gift cards to parents looking to buy games for their child (cause I see that argument being said).

I don't trust rumours from people whose nicknames include words with derogatory implications against neurodivergent and disabled people - which if I remember correctly is the actual meaning of his nickname and not a coincidence.

Doing way too precise of predictions for the Switch 2's software lineup and the timing

September 2024 (launch): 3D Mario Next (exclusive), new casual IP (exclusive), NBA 2K25, Madden 25, College Football 25, Cyberpunk 2077 Complete Edition

October 2024: Assassin’s Creed Red, Resident Evil 7+8, EA FC25, Mario Party Next

April 2025: Hollow Knight Silksong, Fire Emblem 4 Remake, Mass Effect Legendary Edition

October 2025: Far Cry 7, Call of Duty 2025, Warzone 2, Honkai: Star Rail, EA FC 26

Games not listed here because 2026 or later: KH4, DQ12, Hades 2, Earthblade, Bioshock 4, Judas, Elden Ring Switch 2 port, Red Dead 2, Nier 3, FF14, FF7R1+I+2, Metroid 6, Luigi’s Mansion 4, Sonic Frontiers 2, Persona 3 Remake Complete Edition, RE2, RE4, FF7 Ever Crisis

Did this exercise just because games will likely be staggered to avoid overlap among publisher, genre, etc and wanted to see how it would look. Could see a few more GaaS games (Rainbow Six Siege etc) fitting in some of these months and probably 1-2 more outsourced Nintendo games.
You don’t think Capcom will have a launch title? At least SF6 (given past tradition with Street Fighter & Nintendo handhelds at launch) with RE4R not long after.

You don’t think Capcom will have a launch title? At least SF6 (given past tradition with Street Fighter & Nintendo handhelds at launch) with RE4R not long after.

I just like Resident Evil 7+8 in Halloween (which is just a month or two after launch), especially since launch will be a bit crowded if there's 3D Mario and Cyberpunk and a bunch of sports games.

Now, is expecting a bundle of RE7+8+DLC overly optimistic after the SF2 Switch thing? Maybe, but I would really like that to happen...

I don't trust rumours from people whose nicknames include words with derogatory implications against neurodivergent and disabled people - which if I remember correctly is the actual meaning of his nickname and not a coincidence.
yeah I was pretty annoyed and confused when his first name went from "Ed" to mine

• Pokémon mainline is likely to remain on Switch. First mainline games that'll hit the successor should be the gen 10 around 2026. But it can get a spinoff in the meantime, like Pokken 2.
  • Nier Replicant and Dying Light 2 were leaked for Switch. Possibly coming next year. Dying Light 2 could get a next gen patch and Tecland could port Dead Island 2 instead.
  • Mass Effect was leaked too, by the same retailer that leaked Batman. Around same time.
  • KH might not come as it is due to licensing issues, but I expect Square to fully remake the first two game in the near future.
  • I think FE4 will be out for Switch before the successor is out.

It is unlikely for publishers to abandon Switch so fast so Switch will get more "miracle ports" in the next few years. They could get patches for the successor, I expect many publishers to market the games in that way. RDR 2 is one game I expect Rockstar to show off the next gen patch for the Switch version of the game. It still will come out for Switch 1 as leaked.

So they could release a digital-only version to make that percentage bigger. And market the existance of e-shop gift cards to parents looking to buy games for their child (cause I see that argument being said).
They could, but because their current digital to physical ratio isn't that big, there's no reason for them to do it next gen (at launch).

I also think Nintendo will start pushing more of those e-shop gift cards into stores instead of actual physical games, as those further draw in consumers into an all digital library.

• Pokémon mainline is likely to remain on Switch. First mainline games that'll hit the successor should be the gen 10 around 2026. But it can get a spinoff in the meantime, like Pokken 2.
  • Nier Replicant and Dying Light 2 were leaked for Switch. Possibly coming next year. Dying Light 2 could get a next gen patch and Tecland could port Dead Island 2 instead.
  • Mass Effect was leaked too, by the same retailer that leaked Batman. Around same time.
  • KH might not come as it is due to licensing issues, but I expect Square to fully remake the first two game in the near future.

It is unlikely for publishers to abandon Switch so fast so Switch will get more "miracle ports" in the next few years. They could get patches for the successor, I expect many publishers to market the games in that way. RDR 2 is one game I expect Rockstar to show off the next gen patch for the Switch version of the game. It still will come out for Switch 1 as leaked.

I only have 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and a new casual IP as exclusive to the Switch 2 out of all of Nintendo's first-party releases on this list.

I'm expecting Pokemon to at least run at a slightly better framerate and resolution on Switch 2 for the next few games.

I just like Resident Evil 7+8 in Halloween (which is just a month or two after launch), especially since launch will be a bit crowded if there's 3D Mario and Cyberpunk and a bunch of sports games.

Now, is expecting a bundle of RE7+8+DLC overly optimistic after the SF2 Switch thing? Maybe, but I would really like that to happen...
Another thing, I don’t think they’re gonna sit on FE Echoes Genealogy until April 2025 when the game is supposedly already done. Likewise, the game is almost certainly a Switch 1 title by virtue of it already being finished. Obviously backwards compatibility is a factor, but it’s probably not cross-gen in the same way MP4 likely will be.

The gen 10 Pokémon game is most likely 2025, assuming they maintain the 3 year gap that has prevailed for a long time. As for selling this on a console which at the time will be 8.5 years old, and seeing the criticism on s/v regarding outdated technology, not sure it is viable.
I ll agree I m not in their heads though, may be the first tricky generation for pokemon in a long while.

Another thing, I don’t think they’re gonna sit on FE Echoes Genealogy until April 2025 when the game is supposedly already done. Likewise, the game is almost certainly a Switch 1 title by virtue of it already being finished.

Again, I think Nate etc have massively outdated info (like summer 2022 outdated) and the game has been delayed for years after Fire Emblem Engage was intended to grow the franchise and instead was a massive step back sales wise from Three Houses.

If the game was done and was launching before Fall 2024, they probably show it at the September 2023 Direct (as TTYD HD is probably late summer at the earliest) and they did not.

Again, I think Nate etc have massively outdated info (like summer 2022 outdated) and the game has been delayed for years after Fire Emblem Engage was intended to grow the franchise and instead was a massive step back sales wise from Three Houses.

If the game was done and was launching before Fall 2024, they probably show it at the September 2023 Direct (as TTYD HD is probably late summer at the earliest) and they did not.
Remember, we know for a fact that development on Echoes Genealogy began BEFORE Engage. So by the time they got word of the reviews & sales numbers for Engage, Echoes Genealogy would’ve already been too far along for any substantial changes (if necessary). For your scenario to make any sense, they would’ve had to completely reboot development internally. And by that point, even 2025 wouldn’t be realistic.

As for the reveal & release timing, Nintendo can very easily announce Echoes Genealogy in a Switch 1-focused February Direct & release it in the summer before the Switch 2 drops in the back-half of the year.

Remember, we know for a fact that development on Echoes Genealogy began BEFORE Engage. So by the time they got word of the reviews & sales numbers, Echoes Genealogy would’ve already been too far along for any substantial changes (if necessary). For your scenario to make any sense, they would’ve had to completely reboot development internally. And by that point, even 2025 wouldn’t be realistic.
You can take steps in between "full reboot" and "do nothing" in game development. Re-writing huge chunks of the story has happened in the past for games that are then released less than two years later (Destiny is an unfortunate example here, but shows it has been done, lol)

(For context, Destiny 1's original story was so bad that Bungie had to fire their lead writer and start from scratch to redo the entire story in one year... This did not work well either, but maybe two years would have worked)

Anyway, this is just an example of why it's not a good idea to sit on games for years and years.

Anyway, the basic plot of Fire Emblem 4 was written decades ago. An editor can change some dialogue and plot points to make the remake's story more bearable if necessary. Maybe they have to reshoot a couple cutscenes and redo a lot of VA, but it seems doable.

You can take steps in between "full reboot" and "do nothing" in game development. Re-writing huge chunks of the story has happened in the past for games that are then released less than two years later (Destiny is an unfortunate example here, but shows it has been done, lol)

(For context, Destiny 1's original story was so bad that Bungie had to fire their lead writer and start from scratch to redo the entire story in one year... This did not work well either, but maybe two years would have worked)

Anyway, this is just an example of why it's not a good idea to sit on games for years and years.
The fact that the example you gave didn’t turn out so well goes to show that just a year or two may not be enough. Any substantial changes made as a result of Engage underperforming would be done for the next brand-new FE game, not for the remake that was already far along in development by the time Engage released. Based on what we know from the likes of Nate, FE Echoes Genealogy will release next year as purely a Switch 1 title. Assuming the rumors hold up, the game won’t be cross-gen.

Likewise, the likely reason why we have multiple examples of Nintendo sitting on finished games is a domino effect of the pandemic.

The fact that the example you gave didn’t turn out so well goes to show that just a year or two may not be enough. Any substantial changes made as a result of Engage underperforming would be done for the next brand-new FE game, not for the remake that was already far along in development by the time Engage released.

Likewise, the likely reason why we have multiple examples of Nintendo sitting on finished games is a domino effect of the pandemic.
I am sorry mate but were are you getting this? This is straight up misinformation. We are not privy to Nintendo's expectations of games.

All I want for Switch 2 is a push forward on OS features. I want themes, a working activity log, more social features like when a friend shares a screen shot to Twitter it's also on an activity feed on the console, and some folders would be nice.

I'm expecting the exact same OS and UI that we got on Switch, though...

Remember, we know for a fact that development on Echoes Genealogy began BEFORE Engage. So by the time they got word of the reviews & sales numbers for Engage, Echoes Genealogy would’ve already been too far along for any substantial changes (if necessary). For your scenario to make any sense, they would’ve had to completely reboot development internally. And by that point, even 2025 wouldn’t be realistic.
No we don't. If you're talking about the internal numbering of Engage being 19 in the files while Three Houses was 17, that doesn't confirm anything. There are still remnants of some files having the 18 numbering in Engage, which could also mean that "FE18" could have been an earlier, unused version of Engage.

Anything regarding a potential Genealogy remake are theories and speculation. There are no "Facts" that we know of.

I am sorry mate but were are you getting this? This is straight up misinformation. We are not privy to Nintendo's expectations of games.
Perhaps I should’ve put allegedly, but most of the decisions made with Engage were to expand the Fire Emblem audience (decisions which were explained in interviews with the devs). And going by the sales numbers we have so far, Engage failed to expand FE’s audience relative to its current peak (Three Houses).

Of course, Engage didn’t bomb by any stretch of the imagination. 1.61 million units in the first few months is solid for Fire Emblem. But it likely fell short of what Nintendo & IS were hoping for based on what we know from interviews, especially when Three Houses crossed the 4 million barrier.

No we don't. If you're talking about the internal numbering of Engage being 19 in the files while Three Houses was 17, that doesn't confirm anything. There are still remnants of some files having the 18 numbering in Engage, which could also mean that "FE18" could have been an earlier, unused version of Engage.

Anything regarding a potential Genealogy remake are theories and speculation. There are no "Facts" that we know of.
We have pretty solid reason to believe it’s happening considering that it was part of the same leak that nailed everything about Engage. I’ll fine you this, it’s not official. But it’s a pretty safe assumption at this point based on what was leaked & later confirmed.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but we have pretty solid reason to believe it’s happening considering that it was part of the same leak that nailed everything about Engage. I’ll fine you this, it’s not official. But it’s a pretty safe assumption at this point based on what was leaked & later confirmed.
If you want to post it as speculation or something you believe to be true then that's fine. I'm asking to please don't start your argument with "We know for a fact" when we don't. This is exactly how unnecessary rumors begin, and then when someone asks for a source nobody can provide one.

If you want to post it as speculation or something you believe to be true then that's fine. I'm asking to please don't start your argument with "We know for a fact" when we don't. This is exactly how unnecessary rumors begin, and then when someone asks for a source nobody can provide one.
Then I’ll be careful about my wording on the topic going forward to avoid phrases such as “fact”.

As for the reveal & release timing, Nintendo can very easily announce Echoes Genealogy in a Switch 1-focused February Direct & release it in the summer before the Switch 2 drops in the back-half of the year.
While I don't think the game will be in 2025, something I wanted to bring up is that the last Fire Emblem remake we got released in 2017 on the 3DS one month after the Switch launched. Them being done with the FE4 Remake since 2021 shows they've been planning software for the cross-gen period for a long time now. The same thing goes with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD port rumors, which go back to 2020. It's another reason why I have hope for the Smash-related rumors I brought up that were floating around in 2021 about a patch with new content or a new version with new content. Something like that being planned so far out in advance makes a ton of sense with the perspective we have currently.

I've never really seen a console generation rely on remakes for 8-12 months before their next console releases. Remakes start coming in around the time their next generation is released. For example, in 2016, I don't think we got any 3DS remakes, only for in 2017, them being the main thing they released due to them phasing out the 3DS quickly but still wanting to support the hardware. The fact that 4 out of the 5 games in 2024 from Nintendo are remakes should be a sign that they plan on getting this thing out very soon, or at least things should be getting started soon. I'm not saying they can't live off of remakes for a little while. It'll just be... really weird, and wouldn't make a ton of sense if they were not planning on releasing this thing until September of next year, at least in my opinion. If that were the case, then Prime 4 should of been shown off in the September direct, since if the game is still H1 2024 (Which I don't think anything has changed as nobody has said anything about it recently, I think), then they would want to make sure that game had longer then 3 months worth of marketing if all we get is another, traditional General Direct in February.

The Switch is a lot more successful than the 3DS, though that doesn't really matter in this case when, once again, most of their known lineup next year are remakes. They're clearly prepping for things to die down and interest to be on their next system very soon. The big November game being a remake is a sign of that in my eyes.

There is no chance they were done with FE4 Remake since 2021, what?

The big thing about FE4 Remake not being before Fall 2024 is... Why not announce it at their pre-TGS Direct if so?

TTYD HD is such a weird one last thing if there’s literally anything big launching in Q2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom