• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
Tabloids man...
Just picked this up at the checkout in the grocery store...
Enquirer-Start.jpg

this thread was created when it was to put out the fires in the technology and first party threads

but in a vacuum it really should've been made after mario

there is absolutely zero chance of news before mario. it'd be nonsensical. and yes, this is coming from mr anything can happen - I'm not being hypocritical, news before mario is just that absurd
Counterpoint: it being announced next Wednesday would be very funny for me specifically, so it could happen while I'm doing a hackathon again.

We so back
Ok, a couple of things.

1, the article is just speculating that it could be announced soon. There is nothing in that post that article to suggest that an announcement is imminent so you are definitely "back".

2, that article has no new information, it doesn't cite any sources, and the article is full of "allegedly" "speculated" and "believed to" language. They are not reporting anything first hand. Nor are they reporting anything new that wasn't already known. Bottom line is this is not good article to post in this thread for actual discussions.

Fair warning to everyone. Avoid posting articles like this to justify you prediction, because there is no meat on that bone.

They could change Smash's gameplay, they're just not going to... change Smash.

If they make some Power Stone-esque brawler of Nintendo characters, it's not going to replace the traditional platform fighter. They're not going to jettison such a winning formula. They'd just add what I suppose would be a new branch/spin-off (if they give it Smash branding), and both would exist concurrently.
It’s still an unnecessary risk when the series already has a clearly-defined mechanical identity. If it’s a spin-off, that’s fine. But moving Smash away from being a 2.5D platform fighter is no different from changing Splatoon into a stylish action game (see DMC & Bayonetta).
I can easily see the next mainline Smash being a Power Stone-esc fighter, that's very easy to imagine. 3D feels like a natural evolution of the formula after Ultimate and something Sakurai would do.

A genre shift to 3D wouldn't hurt sales and it's hardly risky. People don't buy Smash because it's a 2D Platform Fighter.

Last edited:
EPD 9 presumably had some level of involvement in Mario Kart Tour, so I wouldn't say they've been so long without games. And I wouldn't underestimate the work that went into building that game, given the mountains of content it has received. While I'd definitely agree it's disappointing - especially because we haven't had a Captain Toad or NES Remix style experiment from EPD 8 this gen - in light of contextual factors, I wouldn't say this is surprising.
It's disappointing a mediocre mobile game took away development resources that could've gone into a new console game.

That was my main concern when Nintendo said they'd be entering the mobile space and I've been happy to see their plans largely fail. It just results in less good games being made.
Firstly, development simply is more complex and increasing in scale; even if Nintendo haven't chased this curve as aggressively as others, they are not immune from it.
idk I really don't need any games larger in scale than say Mario Odyssey from either of these teams. And Odyssey only took 4 years to make.
Secondly, we know from developer statements from different, recent games like Switch Sports and Super Mario Bros Wonder that Nintendo are comfortable allowing protracted development times at EPD if necessary. We know from Zelda - with a development time of 5 years even with a game world and graphical style being repurposed - how long the prestige EPD projects can take.
For being a same-engine sequel I really think Zelda's dev team is just inefficient these days. even with COVID there's no reason the game should have taken 6 years for the sheer amount of reuse in every corner. it honestly feels like an expansion pack with how unoriginal the game is.

like in the 6 year period between 2000-2006 we got MM, OOA/OOS, FS, WW, FSA, MC, and TP. 3 mainline games, 3 handheld entries, and 2 spinoffs. Between 2017-2023 we got BOTW, LA HD, CoH, and TOTK. 2 mainline games, 1 handheld remake, and 1 spinoff. That's an incredibly disappointing reduction in output. And I'd rather sacrifice game scope/bloat in favor of a higher quantity of more original entries.

We also have to factor in Covid, and the simple fact that pandemic will have effected different projects in different ways. And then there's the new hardware itself; it wouldn't surprise me if the decision was made back in 2019/20 for EPD 8 and 9 to target the next hardware for their games, given 3D Mario and Mario Kart are well represented on Switch and given their selling power, they are safe bets for early system sellers. It makes sense they may be some of the longest gestating projects targeting new hardware and, who knows; primary development may even be wrapping up.

As I said in my post, there's some evidence - between office relocation, two projects being advertised, and potential engine changes - that EPD 8 have reorganised somewhat. There may well be an aborted 3D Mario project somewhere in that 7 year span; my personal theory is Bowser's Fury was built on a prototype 3D Mario that never panned out. So on top of all those industry wide contexts (scope creep, Covid), EPD's particular circumstances (Nintendo allowing the luxury of time, Nintendo needing games for new hardware), there's also specific factors that may have played into EPD 8's prolonged absence (changing location, expanding and reorganising the team, potentially changing engines).

So yes, disappointing; but all potentially explainable based on broader trends and on Nintendo-specific developments.
This all makes sense, thanks for the insight

People don't buy Smash because it's a 2D Platform Fighter.
They don't? I mean, of course the crossover is the big thing about it but you don't think the game being 2D has anything to do with it's success or scale? 2D is super accessible for people and they can cram in tons and tons of content because they don't need to worry as much about that 3rd dimension. If Smash ever goes 3D I'd expect it to only be the size of melee in terms of number of stages and characters. There's just exponentially more stuff they'd need to work on for every aspect if they shifted to 3D.

I can easily see the next mainline Smash being a Power Stone-esc fighter, that's very easy to imagine. 3D feels like a natural evolution of the formula after Ultimate and something Sakurai would do.

A genre shift to 3D wouldn't hurt sales and it's hardly risky. People don't buy Smash because it's a 2D Platform Fighter.
Absolutely not lol

Sakurai created Smash as inspired by games like King Of Fighters, there is zero indication he is interested in bringing it to 3D

As far as I'm concerned, the next Smash Bros. can be whatever Sakurai wants it to be, as long as Sephiroth is still playable.

Got my money on the next Smash being what Smash has always been, with Sephiroth not being playable anymore because licensing is a complicated mess.

They don't? I mean, of course the crossover is the big thing about it but you don't think the game being 2D has anything to do with it's success or scale? 2D is super accessible for people and they can cram in tons and tons of content because they don't need to worry as much about that 3rd dimension. If Smash ever goes 3D I'd expect it to only be the size of melee in terms of number of stages and characters. There's just exponentially more stuff they'd need to work on for every aspect if they shifted to 3D.
A major shakeup makes sense after Ultimate, I don't know what else you do with the current formula. The roster is going to have to be paired down anyway.

the 2 most successful fighting game franchises (Mortal Kombat and Tekken) are either 3D or have gone 3D before and have reached wide sales audiences, it's not a prohibitor to success. It's not hard to imagine adapting Smash's gameplay to 3D while still keeping its identity and accessibility intact

Absolutely not lol

Sakurai created Smash as inspired by games like King Of Fighters, there is zero indication he is interested in bringing it to 3D
there's zero indication he isn't either, that's not really a point.

Sakurai seems like a guy more interested in following unique gameplay ideas than anything else. I'm not saying he's necessarily interested in a 3D iteration of Smash, but I don't think it would be out of left field either after Ultimate. The big question is "where do you go with the formula from here?". I don't think the 2D gameplay is an untouchable facet of the franchise.

Last edited:
Smash can reinvent its formula in multiple ways.

1) Adding an universal meter system that allows EX specials, more balanced Final Smashs, and other mechanics (see NASB2)
2) An unique team building aspect like in the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars (Sakurai in some ways has flirted with this via Stickers/Spirtis)
3) Dedicated assists like in Fraymakers. which can expand the roster in ways the Smash couldn't before.
4) MultiVersus style doubles? Marvel vs Capcom-inspired gameplay?

Platform fighters have and will continue to experiment and push what's possible with this genre. I feel like these suggestions to see Smash become a completely different style of game come from people seeing the series as mostly a crossover event and not a game that people actually like to play.

Last edited:
Smash can reinvent its formula in multiple ways.

1) Adding a universal meter system that allows EX specials, more balanced Final Smashs, and other mechanics (see NASB2)
2) A unique team building aspect like in the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars (Sakurai in some ways has flirted with this via Stickers/Spirtis)
3) Dedicated assists like in Fraymakers. which can expand the roster in ways the Smash couldn't before.
4) MultiVersus style doubles? Marvel vs Capcom-inspired gameplay?

Platform fighters have and will continue to experiment and push what's possible with this genre. I feel like these suggestions to see Smash become a completely different style of game come from people seeing the series as mostly a crossover event and not a game that people actually like to play.
doing a 3D platformer fighter isn't suggesting the franchise become a completely different style of game.

Smash's success comes from its accessible party gameplay and crossover appeal. It wouldn't lose either of that going to 3D imo.

By your logic, mainline Street Fighter should’ve transitioned to 3D years ago. Hell, Mortal Kombat undid that 3D transition with MK9 & saw even more success.

There’s still room to grow with the 2D platform fighter gameplay style, & the growing amount of competition in the space proves that. Plus, why mess with what already works?

doing a 3D platformer fighter isn't suggesting the franchise become a completely different style of game.

Smash's success comes from its accessible party gameplay and crossover appeal. It wouldn't lose either of that going to 3D imo.
It kinda is, changing dimensions isn’t as simple as you make it sound from a gameplay design standpoint. And considering how successful the current formula is, there’s no reason to do it besides change for the sake of it.

A major shakeup makes sense after Ultimate, I don't know what else you do with the current formula. The roster is going to have to be paired down anyway.

the 2 most successful fighting game franchises (Mortal Kombat and Tekken) are either 3D or have gone 3D before and have reached wide sales audiences, it's not a prohibitor to success. It's not hard to imagine adapting Smash's gameplay to 3D while still keeping its identity and accessibility intact

there's zero indication he isn't either, that's not really a point.

Sakurai seems like a guy more interested in following unique gameplay ideas than anything else. I'm not saying he's necessarily interested in a 3D iteration of Smash, but I don't think it would be out of left field either after Ultimate. The big question is "where do you go with the formula from here?". I don't think the 2D gameplay is an untouchable facet of the franchise.
Like I said, Mortal Kombat had to walk back that 3D transition & is now doing better than any of those 3D entries. As for Tekken, that was 3D from the jump & set expectations accordingly. And you failed to mention Street Fighter, which continues to see success in 2D (though SFV fumbled at launch for other reasons).

Also, there are plenty of things you can do with the current formula. As I mentioned earlier, the growing competition in the platform fighter space proves it.

Last edited:
I just wish 3D fighters could be more then just Tekken and the vomit of mediocre licensed anime arena fighters. Most of the other attempts either seem to knee cap themselves (Dissidia, Soul Calibur) or it's too early to say if they'll be a one off or become a series (Arms).

I think the only thing they REALLY need to do for smash 6 is:
1.) cut down the roster
2.) revise old movesets
They could do whatever they want after that, but those two things have to happen

I think the only thing they REALLY need to do for smash 6 is:
1.) cut down the roster
2.) revise old movesets
They could do whatever they want after that, but those two things have to happen
Who do you cut and why? Let’s get messy.

Hard mode: You can only cut one Fire Emblem character and one Pokeman.

I cut Chrom, Pichu, Dark Samus, Wolf, Min-Min, Dark Pit, Steve, and Sheik!

Re: Switch name

Decades ago, Nintendo went from the FAMICOM/NES to the Super FAMICOM/NES. Fellow members argue that naming the next gen of the Switch:
• Super Nintendo Switch
• Nintendo Super Switch

Would communicate that it could be something like a Pro instead of a proper new generation of console, because it could confuse consumers. That Nintendo could get away with the Super back then because it was a different era.

But honestly, have consumers really changed since years ago?

Sure, clients now have access to tools that help them make better decisions via their electronic devices, but has their mindset really changed?

Can a proper marketing campaign not clearly communicate that the Super Switch is a new generation console? That it’s more powerful than the Switch because it is the console that comes after it? That it is named Super because it can play games you couldn’t play on the current Nintendo Switch family of systems?

ive never played vanquish but ive heard people talk a lot about it. should i put it on my steam wishlist? i love the bayonetta games but it just always seemed so different.
I know I'm late to the conversation, but let me just throw it out there regardless that I did not enjoy Vanquish at all, while being a huge Bayonetta fan. Then again, I'm really not into shooters in general, with Splatoon (and Titanfall 2, fwiw) being some of the few exceptions. Doesn't really matter whether it's first or third person.

YMMV, is what I'm trying to say, then.

I would cut the octoling and include one more FE character. FE:H has been bringing in the money and include one of OCs from that.
Fire Emblem isn’t anywhere near as big as Splatoon, especially in Japan. Notice how the 10+ million sellers with multiple entries each have at least 2 characters.

Who do you cut and why? Let’s get messy.

Hard mode: You can only cut one Fire Emblem character and one Pokeman.

I cut Chrom, Pichu, Dark Samus, Wolf, Min-Min, Dark Pit, Steve, and Sheik!
I’ve thought about this so much. Falco, Chrom, min-min, dark pit, zero suit, sheik, corrin, young stink, dark samus, Rosalina, hero, pyra/ mythra, isabelle, daisy

Smash 64 had 12, not 10. That said, I did make a roster for if Smash 64 started today…

I would personally quit Nintendo if Min-Min got the nod on such a small roster. Booooo!

(nice work though, this looks good)

By your logic, mainline Street Fighter should’ve transitioned to 3D years ago. Hell, Mortal Kombat undid that 3D transition with MK9 & saw even more success.

There’s still room to grow with the 2D platform fighter gameplay style, & the growing amount of competition in the space proves that. Plus, why mess with what already works?
apples to oranges. SF and Tekken's spots in the market are as the definitive 2D and 3D traditional fighting games. MK as the most popular fighting game with tons of singleplayer content. Smash's identity/selling point is being a big, accessible, crossover party game, that's not tied to a strict "2D-only" gameplay style.

like hypothetically, let's say Smash 6 is a pitch perfect 3D rendition of the existing formula, like an ALTTP->OOT transition. do you think it would sell significantly less or be any less critically successful? I don't

also MK "walking back" had to do with market trends within the fighting game space at the time. 3D fighters were becoming stale/SF4's success showed that was an appetit for big budget throwback 2D fighters. it wouldn't surprise me to see MK attempt another 3D entry soon since it's been 4 games on the modern 2D formula.

It kinda is, changing dimensions isn’t as simple as you make it sound from a gameplay design standpoint. And considering how successful the current formula is, there’s no reason to do it besides change for the sake of it.
Of course it would be a lot of work from a design standpoint. But it could make for a more fun and more interesting game, that's reason alone to consider pursuing.

The "it's successful, why change?" argument is what results in stagnation, see Pokemon and Assassin's Creed. I'm not saying that will happen to Smash, there's tons of new and interesting ways to iterate on the current 2D formula and Sakurai is a good creative. But I can see a 3D entry being an inherently novel evolution of the formula and commercially successful. And it answers the question of "what to do after Ultimate" given the roster will shrink. i just don't think the gameplay is some golden goose that can never be altered, that's just putting the formula on a pedestal.

Last edited:
Fire Emblem isn’t anywhere near as big as Splatoon, especially in Japan. Notice how the 10+ million sellers with multiple entries each have at least 2 characters.
Fire Emblem Heroes is the most successful Mobile game Nintendo has made, and has made more money than Splatoon made. The power of Gacha is powerful. I do see what you are saying though.

Fire Emblem Heroes is the most successful Mobile game Nintendo has made, and has made more money than Splatoon made. The power of Gacha is powerful. I do see what you are saying though.
Not true. The splatoon franchise has made a lot more money than the fire emblem mobile game.

apples to oranges. SF and Tekken's spots in the market are as the definitive 2D and 3D traditional fighting games. MK as the most popular fighting game with tons of singleplayer content. Smash's identity/selling point is being a big, accessible, crossover party game, that's not tied to a strict "2D-only" gameplay style.

like hypothetically, let's say Smash 6 is a pitch perfect 3D rendition of the existing formula, like an ALTTP->OOT transition. do you think it would sell significantly less or be any less critically successful? I don't

also MK "walking back" had to do with market trends within the fighting game space at the time. 3D fighters were becoming stale/SF4's success showed that was an appetit for big budget throwback 2D fighters. it wouldn't surprise me to see MK attempt another 3D entry soon since it's been 4 games on the modern 2D formula.

Of course it would be a lot of work from a design standpoint. But it could make for a more fun and more interesting game, that's reason alone to consider pursuing.

The "it's successful, why change?" argument is what results in stagnation, see Pokemon and Assassin's Creed. I'm not saying that will happen to Smash, there's tons of new and interesting ways to iterate on the current 2D formula and Sakurai is a good creative. But I can see a 3D entry being an inherently novel evolution of the formula and commercially successful. And it answers the question of "what to do after Ultimate" given the roster will shrink. i just don't think the gameplay is some golden goose that can never be altered, that's just putting the formula on a pedestal.
Because Smash is to platform fighters as Street Fighter is to 2D fighters & Tekken is to 3D fighters. Granted, in the cases of the latter two, neither exactly invented the genre. But Smash did for platform fighters, it’s the grandfather of the genre in the same way DOOM is for shooters & Dragon Quest is for RPGs. Having Smash ditch a fundamental part of its identity just to solve an issue of roster cuts is basically taking a chainsaw to a problem that only needs a scalpel. Other fighting games have moved on from dream rosters just fine (see KoF, the series Smash owes its existence to, & Tekken), Smash won’t be any different.

And no, mainline Mortal Kombat isn’t gonna go back to 3D. The series has been selling better in its current 2D form than it ever has as 3D fighters.

The real issue with that hypothetical roster is both Inkling and Octoling when they really could/should just be alternate costumes/colors like Olimar & Alph. Swap Octoling for Wario, some kind of niche pick (like Ness was in Smash 64), or some kind of retro pick (like Ice Climbers was in Melee) and I could buy that roster as a good hypothetical Smash first time in 2023.

The real issue with that hypothetical roster is both Inkling and Octoling when they really could/should just be alternate costumes/colors like Olimar & Alph. Swap Octoling for Wario, some kind of niche pick (like Ness was in Smash 64), or some kind of retro pick (like Ice Climbers was in Melee) and I could buy that roster as a good hypothetical Smash first time in 2023.
Inkling in their current form is hard-limited to Splatoon 1 from a mechanical standpoint, so Octoling can very easily pull from the later games & still be distinct. And even from a first-time standpoint, they can just do Marina w/ Pearl’s drone if they want a named character.

Splatoon would get a 2nd character, it’s too important not to get one. And the roster already has a number of sub-10 million sellers (Olimar, Marth, Shulk, Min Min via DLC, etc.). If anything, I was actually pretty close to giving Ring Fit a 2nd rep via Dragaux.

Because Smash is to platform fighters as Street Fighter is to 2D fighters & Tekken is to 3D fighters. Granted, in the cases of the latter two, neither exactly invented the genre. But Smash did for platform fighters, it’s the grandfather of the genre in the same way DOOM is for shooters & Dragon Quest is for RPGs. Having Smash ditch a fundamental part of its identity just to solve an issue of roster cuts is basically taking a chainsaw to a problem that only needs a scalpel. Other fighting games have moved on from dream rosters just fine (see KoF, the series Smash owes its existence to, & Tekken), Smash won’t be any different.

And no, mainline Mortal Kombat isn’t gonna go back to 3D. The series has been selling better in its current 2D form than it ever has as 3D fighters.
i don't think people mainly like smash because it's strictly 2D platform fighter. people like smash because it's an accessible party game with the crossover factor. every other copycat platform fighter bombing kinda proves the point smash's success is independent of its strict genre.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here

i don't think people mainly like smash because it's strictly 2D platform fighter. people like smash because it's an accessible party game with the crossover factor. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here
To be clear, I do see merit in having a 3D spin-off (see Street Fighter EX). But not as a substitute for the main series. And you could apply that exact same argument to something like Splatoon, should it change its genre just because it’s starting to stagnate? What about Pokémon, an example you brought up?

But yeah, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Smash in 3D would not be Smash. It would be something different all together.
Exactly

My stance on Octoling is similar to what my stance was on Daisy. I think they could make the character unique, but I don't think they will. Though unlike Daisy I think Octoling at least has a better shot as a semi-clone than a full on clone.

Though I'm also not dismissing the possibility Sakurai sees Octoling and judges the character as conceptually redundant and pulls some Sakurai shenanigans and adds someone people aren't anticipating like one of the music groups.

That said, if Octoling is derivative, and therefore less work, there is the chance they could add both those options. Splatoon is big enough.

My stance on Octoling is similar to what my stance was on Daisy. I think they could make the character unique, but I don't think they will. Though unlike Daisy I think Octoling at least has a better shot as a semi-clone than a full on clone.

Though I'm also not dismissing the possibility Sakurai sees Octoling and judges the character as conceptually redundant and pulls some Sakurai shenanigans and adds someone people aren't anticipating like one of the music groups.

That said, if Octoling is derivative, and therefore less work, there is the chance they could add both those options. Splatoon is big enough.
If they do add one of the idols, the most viable option would be Marina. While Callie & Marie are the most recurring, they’re both Inklings (who have a playable rep already). Likewise, both them & Deep Cut have the issue of needing to choose just one of the group (though this is less of an issue for the latter, as Shiver is the most popular & was named the leader via their recent Splatfest). Marina, though Side Order, has a novel solution for keeping Pearl involved: Pearl’s drone. Plus having Marina be the primary character helps address the diversity problems of the roster.

That said, it’s probably going to be a semi-clone Octoling. But either way, Splatoon is getting a 2nd unique character. I’m as certain about this as I am about Ring Fit Trainee getting in.

I guess we don't know the context yet but I'd bet on 8 with the Pearl drone over Marina
If you’re gonna do 8, might as well just do the standard semi-clone Octoling with Agent 8 alts. The point of the Marina w/ Pearl set-up is to have a playable idol.

To be clear, I do see merit in having a 3D spin-off (see Street Fighter EX). But not as a substitute for the main series. And you could apply that exact same argument to something like Splatoon, should it change its genre just because it’s starting to stagnate? What about Pokémon, an example you brought up?

But yeah, I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Exactly
Smash in 3D would not be Smash. It would be something different all together.
I think you could still retain the essence and core gameplay of smash while transitioning it to 3D. an isometric fighter ala power stone could work.

anyway I'll agree to disagree with you guys

Daisy's increasing prominence in the mainline games should be enough incentive to make her more unique while still keeping her clone roots.

Daisy's increasing prominence in the mainline games should be enough incentive to make her more unique while still keeping her clone roots.
Peach could get some moves from Showtime that’ll retroactively make Daisy not an echo anymore, while Daisy can get some stuff from Wonder.

I’ve thought about this so much. Falco, Chrom, min-min, dark pit, zero suit, sheik, corrin, young stink, dark samus, Rosalina, hero, pyra/ mythra, isabelle, daisy

Cutting Rosalina over Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr. or Pirahnna Plant ?? The gameplay she brings to the table is much more interesting than those 3 combined.

I will say, there is SOME potential to play with the 3D space a bit. Keyword: some. Taking a little bit of inspiration from Fatal Fury's overstay system can be unique.

Back
Top Bottom