• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 184 79.7%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
I'll worry about future support for the Switch 2 when it is officially revealed. All this handwringing over rumors must be exhausting.
What is there to handwring exactly? it appears the info he acquired were for the most part legit and the controversity is not related specifically to the validity of the leaks but how they were obtained (e.g. blackmail, trading one cache of information for another ) as well as racism, and basically taking on a fake persona through the Midori acocunt.

Should i be making notes for the imaginary controveries of the pre-launch Nintendo Switch 2?

What is there to handwring exactly? it appears the info he acquired were for the most part legit and the controversity is not related specifically to the validity of the leaks but how they were obtained (e.g. blackmail, trading one cache of information for another ) as well as racism, and basically taking on a fake persona through the Midori acocunt.

Should i be making notes for the imaginary controveries of the pre-launch Nintendo Switch 2?
What? Of course not.

What I'm saying is that we should chill out and stop taking insiders so seriously.

During the Nintendo Switch presentation we got the announcement and trailer for this game. I was so freaking hyped.

I can’t wait to see what we get from Monilith Soft in the Switch 2 presentation.

During the Nintendo Switch presentation we got the announcement and trailer for this game. I was so freaking hyped.

I can’t wait to see what we get from Monilith Soft in the Switch 2 presentation.

I hope they have lined up a XBC game for launch window/year. Even the X remake would suffice.

I hope they have lined up a XBC game for launch window/year. Even the X remake would suffice.
I'd definitely be happy with this, but honestly, I'll take any game from them during the launch year. They're one of the developers whose next-gen project I'm most eager to see because of what they'll manage to pull off on more powerful hardware. They're just so ambitious that it's hard not to be excited by or at least interested in seeing what they're making.

i remember a few months back when it was reported about Switch 2 being delayed to 2025 most of us thought it must be because the next 3D Mario needed to be delayed (me included). but recently I'm starting to think it's because they want to copy the switch's 2017 strategy of releasing in spring and building up a decent library and stock before the holiday shopping season, then hit them with the 3D Mario for the big holiday game while also celebrating Mario 40th anniversary for the next few months with the Mario movie 2 and Mario kart 10 in the spring 2026

I can't wait to see what nintendo and Platinum are cooking up for their 1st game for the system. Will it be a new ip, Astral Chain 2, Bayonetta 4 or
a nintendo ip?

i remember a few months back when it was reported about Switch 2 being delayed to 2025 most of us thought it must be because the next 3D Mario needed to be delayed (me included). but recently I'm starting to think it's because they want to copy the switch's 2017 strategy of releasing in spring and building up a decent library and stock before the holiday shopping season, then hit them with the 3D Mario for the big holiday game while also celebrating Mario 40th anniversary for the next few months with the Mario movie 2 and Mario kart 10 in the spring 2026
This has always made more sense. It's inconceivable to me that the next 3D Mario needs more time. Odyssey came out in 2017 and was reportedly ready at launch they just sat on it. Bowser's Fury was start of 2021 but was a significantly smaller game co-developed with NST.

So what's gonna be the launch game?

This has always made more sense. It's inconceivable to me that the next 3D Mario needs more time. Odyssey came out in 2017 and was reportedly ready at launch they just sat on it. Bowser's Fury was start of 2021 but was a significantly smaller game co-developed with NST.
There is speculation that next 3D Mario will be open world, which means it probably was much more demanding to make than Odyssey was.

I can see 3D Mario skipping launch in lieu of being a holiday release, but I remain stuck on what game Nintendo would be confident about leading the charge for the next generation if not a new Mario or Zelda. I imagine that it would have to be a new IP, unless they're insanely confident about Metroid Prime 4 being the series' watershed moment.

I can see 3D Mario skipping launch in lieu of being a holiday release, but I remain stuck on what game Nintendo would be confident about leading the charge for the next generation if not a new Mario or Zelda. I imagine that it would have to be a new IP, unless they're insanely confident about Metroid Prime 4 being the series' watershed moment.

Pokemon ZA if Game Freak has decided to actually focus on making the games run well and look good after getting trashed by critics after SV.

Okay maybe I need to give 2 another shot.

I've seen some, i think Kit and Krysta in their podcast suggest it could be MK9, but i feel like MK9 isn't a launch game either as it has too broad an appeal and at launch, they will be targeting the hardcore especially if its' off holiday season. I also feel MK9 is something they save for Year 2 and milk MK8 a bit more with MK8 Deluxe Ultimate edition in 4k 120fps with some other QoL features.

My guess is it launch with a Zelda, but not a brand new Zelda. I've been increasingly convinced it will be something like a remake of Ocarina of Time, done like Breath of the Wild but retaining all of the temples. The hyrule field will just be reworked and it will be a true remake.

The boring answer is the flip the script and launch with Mario and close the year out with Zelda; but i do think Mario is a better fit for Holidays and they keep the launch slot for Zelda. The question is which Zelda.

If they save Mario for the holidays I can see MP4 or a New DK.

Zelda 3d obviously won’t be ready and I don’t see them launch a more powerful console with a Zelda 2d or a remake.

Pokemon ZA+some smaller tech demo game comparable to Astro Bot Rescue Mission as a pack-in and a couple third-party games (Monster Hunter Wilds preferably, but maybe Red Dead 2 and AC Shadows more realistically) would work as a launch lineup if Pokemon ZA's visuals look great on the Switch 2.

Pokemon ZA+some smaller tech demo game comparable to Astro Bot Rescue Mission as a pack-in and a couple third-party games (Monster Hunter Wilds preferably, but maybe Red Dead 2 and AC Shadows more realistically) would work as a launch lineup if Pokemon ZA's visuals look great on the Switch 2.
If I dare be optimistic (which of course I do), we saw GameFreak's vision and technology for Pokémon with their presentation slides, and then the concept for Z-A in the trailer. If they actually implement those things it could be pretty incredible. It helps, I think, that the game seems to have a relatively small scope with lots of room to reuse assets.

Not every house in a terrace is unique, the brickwork will be the functional stand-in for grass.

I'm one of those people who think Scarlet and Arceus had moments of true beauty and were really only a few months away from releasing in a visually appealing way. Few of the ideas are bad; they just look unfinished. I enjoy playing modern Pokémon, but it can look a bit like playing a first draft sometimes.

Warner Bros has been a pretty big supporter of the Switch, and they worked with Shiver Entertainment to bring some of their big games to Nintendo system. Wonder Woman looks to be ramping up marketing going by a recent survey they put out. I'd say I'm pretty confident in this game hitting drake

At the end of this month Nintendo will have their big shareholder meeting. What if anything will we hear about the Switch 2 from this meeting?

Warner Bros has been a pretty big supporter of the Switch, and they worked with Shiver Entertainment to bring some of their big games to Nintendo system. Wonder Woman looks to be ramping up marketing going by a recent survey they put out. I'd say I'm pretty confident in this game hitting drake

This is basically a new studio (Monolith imploded some time in 2021 maybe over a cancellation or something, causing the founder to go to EA and poach a lot of his guys to make Black Panthers) and WBD has shown very little in terms of quality as a publisher AND the only leaks about this game are "this game is troubled" and the Shadow of Mordor games were not great... We'll see, lol.

I don't think any of WBD's games since April 2022 have been good at all.

If I dare be optimistic (which of course I do), we saw GameFreak's vision and technology for Pokémon with their presentation slides, and then the concept for Z-A in the trailer. If they actually implement those things it could be pretty incredible. It helps, I think, that the game seems to have a relatively small scope with lots of room to reuse assets.

Not every house in a terrace is unique, the brickwork will be the functional stand-in for grass.

I'm one of those people who think Scarlet and Arceus had moments of true beauty and were really only a few months away from releasing in a visually appealing way. Few of the ideas are bad; they just look unfinished. I enjoy playing modern Pokémon, but it can look a bit like playing a first draft sometimes.
Hi, sorry the inconvenience, but do you know where to find those Gamefreak's technology presentations?
PD:sorry for my english Is not my native language

At the end of this month Nintendo will have their big shareholder meeting. What if anything will we hear about the Switch 2 from this meeting?
Most likely scenario is that they'll just reiterate the "before March 31st" statement from before when someone asks.

Hi, sorry the inconvenience, but do you know where to find those Gamefreak's technology presentations?
PD:sorry for my english Is not my native language
Here are blog posts recapping the 2022 presentation on Legends Arceus (via GoNintendo sharing a Twitter thread) and the 2023 presentation on Scarlet and Violet (via Japanese site GAME Watch). You can also watch the 2022 presentation in full over here if you understand Japanese.

Between Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope DX and Yooka-Replaylee, we're getting two definitive editions of indie platformers that I'd argue are heavily associated with Nintendo platforms. I wonder which of these is most likely to be a Switch 2 launch title (meaning a native Switch 2 SKU on Day 1).

In the case of Shovel Knight, I also wonder if Yacht Club Games is more likely to bring over the Treasure Trove collection or Shovel of Hope DX to Switch 2, if they bother at all and don't just let the Switch versions operate in backwards compatibility. There may be little or no point of making a Switch 2 SKU, given the pixel art.

The artstyle of ribs 4 looks simple enough that I could totally see an RTX feature happeing specifically for the switch 2 version

more on the artstyle...I personally think it looks good for a switch game, but I understand why some people are complaining about it. It's been in development for SO long and had so much (albeit all fan) hype behind it they were expecting something with more visual "UMPH" like that new doom game on switch would be a good comparison of what I'm thinking. Instead what we got is a half step-up visually from remastered.

But hey this is just as it runs on switch 1, The switch 2 edition could still totally blow us away. and its still a year out so the og switch 1 version could definitely see some welcome changes in that timespan too. Always think on the beyond-side my friends!

This is kinda where I'm at now after today:

August: Pokemon Presents, full reveal for Legends Z-A, releasing in March
September: Standard direct
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake announced and dated for February
  • At least one other remaster set for the first 4 months of 2025, most likely Kid Icarus or F-Zero
  • Full Metroid Prime 4 information blowout, with Metroid Prime 2 and 3 Remastered getting announced and possibly shadowdropped. No release date.
January: Announcement trailer, showcase scheduled for March.
March: Full showcase. Metroid Prime 4 is indeed the launch title, along with another casual game (Nobody's 1-2-Switch). Releases in May.
June: New Mario Kart, with post-launch support sprinkled throughout 2024 and beyond
July through September(ish): A whole bunch of stuff to fill out the launch year lineup.
  • Astral Chain 2
  • Monolith Soft's next big project, could just be a Xenoblade X Remaster
  • Another remaster, probably one of the two I mentioned earlier
  • Another Warriors crossover
October: 3D Mario
November: Pokemon Gen 11 (cross-gen)

With the big 2026/2027 games being a Mario Sports game, 3D Kirby, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion 4, Animal Crossing, and maybe 2D Metroid, plus more surprises and remasters. Maybe Smash too, depending on what the plan is for that.

Last edited:
The artstyle of ribs 4 looks simple enough that I could totally see an RTX feature happeing specifically for the switch 2 version

more on the artstyle...I personally think it looks good for a switch game, but I understand why some people are complaining about it. It's been in development for SO long and had so much (albeit all fan) hype behind it they were expecting something with more visual "UMPH" like that new doom game on switch would be a good comparison of what I'm thinking. Instead what we got is a half step-up visually from remastered.

But hey this is just as it runs on switch 1, The switch 2 edition could still totally blow us away. and its still a year out so the og switch 1 version could definitely see some welcome changes in that timespan too. Always think on the beyond-side my friends!
I'm not seeing what people are complaining about. They want better graphics but they also want 60fps and good IQ? Well that's not how the triangle works

I'm not seeing what people are complaining about. They want better graphics but they also want 60fps and good IQ? Well that's not how the triangle works
I'm gonna be honest and admit I know basically nothing about 3d rendering tech, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible to have most if not all of the environmental assets under prerendered/baked lighting, which would take weight off the engine and allow the game to have a better fps while also still looking swagalicious. Like Mirrors edge which is from 2008 and still looks great for todays standards.

After getting some games dated for 2025, I'm not expecting a General Direct in September. I feel we'll be getting a mini
I think there's a non-zero chance we don't see a direct in september period and the switch 2 teaser trailer could be the thing that would take its place, just before tokyo game show.

Maybe we could also get an indie world or direct mini like you said in early September and the switch 2 announcement towards the end of the month.

There's a zero percent chance that Nintendo launches their next console with a non-exclusive game let alone Metroid.

It's very likely going to be 3D Mario. Metroid could be there as well but 3D Mario is THE launch title.

There's a zero percent chance that Nintendo launches their next console with a non-exclusive game let alone Metroid.

It's very likely going to be 3D Mario. Metroid could be there as well but 3D Mario is THE launch title.

Not true and please stop talking down on Metroid

They will launch with Metroid and Pokemon Z-A and another exclusive, maybe a Zelda remake, 3D Mario will follow in the holiday.

This Direct definitely had a few more games for next year mentioned than past June Directs, boasting seven games scheduled for next year (Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, The Hundred Line -Last Defense Academy, Dragon Quest I+II HD-2D remake, Hello Kitty Island Adventure, MIO: Memories in Orbit, Phantom Brave: The Lost Hero, and Metroid Prime 4: Beyond) as opposed to just three or four, so that's mildly interesting.

I think I'm going to stick with them doing a Partner Showcase in September as my prediction for now; if they have any surprise first-party release for February, they can either sneak it into the partner showcase ala Endless Ocean, or mention it at The Game Awards in December ala Cereza and the Lost Demon. I'm still very much of the mindset that Nintendo wants to put the bulk of their marketing focus this holiday on the Switch rather than a ramp-up for the successor; a target of 13.5 million units for this fiscal year feels too aggressive for anything else. I'm thinking we get a hardware reveal sometime in the next three months, and any next-gen game teases we get as part of that will be all we get until January, so they can spend the rest of the year focusing purely on pushing Zelda, Mario Party, Mario & Luigi, and any bundles they have planned for the holidays in Q3.

Metroid and Pokemon Z-A are Switch games. Get over it already.

They are cross gen games, there will be one big exclusive Switch 2 game at launch and it won’t be 3D Mario

Ain’t no way Nintendo releasing 3D Mario, Pokemon Z-A and Metroid Prime 4 in the same quarter, they will keep 3D Mario for the holidays like they always do, get over it already

They are cross gen games, there will be one big exclusive Switch 2 game at launch and it won’t be 3D Mario

Ain’t no way Nintendo releasing 3D Mario, Pokemon Z-A and Metroid Prime 4 in the same quarter, they will keep 3D Mario for the holidays like they always do, get over it already

I guarantee you Metroid Prime and Pokemon Z-A will be pushed out of the Switch 2 launch quarter to make room for Mario. It will not be the other way around.

What is the big exclusive Switch 2 game going to be if not Mario?

I'm gonna be honest and admit I know basically nothing about 3d rendering tech, but wouldn't it be theoretically possible to have most if not all of the environmental assets under prerendered/baked lighting, which would take weight off the engine and allow the game to have a better fps while also still looking swagalicious. Like Mirrors edge which is from 2008 and still looks great for todays standards.
that's how MP1 Remastered was and what MP4 is most like is. but given that, there's still limits to what you can add on top of that. at 60fps, you're even more limited. and at a fairly high resolution, limited still. there are ways to make MP4 look better, but one of those has to give

or make the game for Drake

Back
Top Bottom