• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 205 80.4%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
I remember than Shin Megami Tensei V was part of Switch 2017 presentation, and it took 4 years for it to be released on Switch. Is there any chance that Switch 2 presentation will do something similar and put in a game that won't be released in 3-4 years?
There's a chance something like that happens again, but it was clear the game was very early when the trailer was shown in 2017, Nintendo just wanted to let people know they have that specific game coming.

Nintendo themselves don't like doing this, but if they feel they need to, they will do it. it's standard industry practice at this point.

As I expected in regards to Brazil's rumor of "early Switch 2 confirmations" during Summer Games Fest showcases:

Low and behold, every showcase this summer is pretty much done and nary a peep about Switch 2/Next Gen Nintendo console game announcement. Nintendo will make everyone wait until the Switch 2 console presentation showcase (not reveal trailer) to confirm games. Remember when Skyrim was literally in the Switch announcement video yet Bethesda "couldn't confirm if the game is coming" until the Jan 2017 presentation?
today is Ubisoft Forward, the final presentation before the june Direct, and last change to see a game been knowledged and confirmed to come to Switch sucessor, after that we have to wait for Nintendo to reveal Switch sucessor itself and boom, third-parties confirming my game will launch on Nintendo next hardware this period.

Reveal in July, September or October?

2016 directs: June, September (3DS exclusive) and October Switch announce
2017 directs: June and September
2018 directs: June and September
2019 directs: June, July LITE announce and September
2020 directs: June and September
2021 directs: march, July OLED announce and September
2022 directs: march and September
2023 directs: June and September
2024 directs: June

After the general September's Direct, they don't have any other until next year, expect for October dedicate directs. So, that date is the the easy bet.

But another entire direct in September without any world about Switch 2? What they will show on it? And even if they made it, people will forgot everything that was show and focus only on Switch 2 if they reveal it on October.

But if they reveal it in July, people will have a big fuss, talking about switch 2. After that they will get tiring to talking about it, and will get more focus on games for the September direct, where they can show Switch 1 and 2 multi platform games.

That is why my bet is July.

Of course they will need make people want to talk and about switch 2 again, so, July is a soft reveal, maybe even without show the complete hardware, but some games.

The big hyper will be the next direct, the first in the year. Where they will show big exclusive games with name and dates, plus the exclusive futures that only switch 2 will have.

So in summary:
  • July: start to talk about switch 2. A reveal without show too much, except games
  • September: Direct cross-gen with Switch 1 and 2 games
  • October: A exclusive Direct or trailer show more about the console, maybe some futures
  • January: Full reveal with dates
That is my bet for the year,

I think there's a high likely hood that Capcom will re release their titles on the Switch 2 and make it Native.

Master Chief in Smash Brothers reveal day is going to be a fun day.
Unironically will be so excited when those monks start chanting

Also I was just searching through my old posts trying to find something but came across this tweet from Wario64 back in January earlier this year where Ai Shark announced in a press release they were bringing back Game Shark to coincide with Switch 2 in September 2024.

Who else forgot about this until just now?

Also, thanks to the power of Wayback Machine...

This was the original press release captured at 5:46PM EST on January 11th, 2024, and the current version you see now edited out the Switch 2 mention roughly six hours later

Last edited:
Unironically will be so excited when those monks start chanting

Also I was just searching through my old posts trying to find something but came across this tweet from Wario64 back in January earlier this year where Ai Shark announced in a press release they were bringing back Game Shark to coincide with Switch 2 in September 2024.

Who else forgot about this until just now?

Also, thanks to the power of Wayback Machine...

This was the original press release captured at 5:46PM EST on January 11th, 2024, and the current version you see now edited out the Switch 2 mention roughly six hours later

The meltdown at the Nintendo NYC Store crowd watching the Nintendo Direct presser live will be funny when that happens. Will probably put this one to shame:

Close up on Samus' mask as she looks up we see a reflection of a figure appears in her visor ... Halo theme kicks in ... crowd loses its mind.

Reveal in July, September or October?

2016 directs: June, September (3DS exclusive) and October Switch announce
2017 directs: June and September
2018 directs: June and September
2019 directs: June, July LITE announce and September
2020 directs: June and September
2021 directs: march, July OLED announce and September
2022 directs: march and September
2023 directs: June and September
2024 directs: June

After the general September's Direct, they don't have any other until next year, expect for October dedicate directs. So, that date is the the easy bet.

But another entire direct in September without any world about Switch 2? What they will show on it? And even if they made it, people will forgot everything that was show and focus only on Switch 2 if they reveal it on October.

But if they reveal it in July, people will have a big fuss, talking about switch 2. After that they will get tiring to talking about it, and will get more focus on games for the September direct, where they can show Switch 1 and 2 multi platform games.

That is why my bet is July.

Of course they will need make people want to talk and about switch 2 again, so, July is a soft reveal, maybe even without show the complete hardware, but some games.

The big hyper will be the next direct, the first in the year. Where they will show big exclusive games with name and dates, plus the exclusive futures that only switch 2 will have.

So in summary:
  • July: start to talk about switch 2. A reveal without show too much, except games
  • September: Direct cross-gen with Switch 1 and 2 games
  • October: A exclusive Direct or trailer show more about the console, maybe some futures
  • January: Full reveal with dates
That is my bet for the year,

Yes and the mass production will likely happen in July

I remember than Shin Megami Tensei V was part of Switch 2017 presentation, and it took 4 years for it to be released on Switch. Is there any chance that Switch 2 presentation will do something similar and put in a game that won't be released in 3-4 years?
Yeah,

Metroid Prime 4

Hasn't it been in development for like more than 5 years? Also sorry if I came off as hostile
From what I remembered, when they announced the game all they had was a pitch. They just wanted to drum up support to hire people. I assume at the very least they had an idea. I could be misremembering.

the probable first EA game for Drake: skate. it's f2p and coming to everything (consoles (current and last), pc, and mobile)
For some reason I'm not that hopeful. While I think EA will increase their support for Nintendo next gen, I'm not sold on the idea that they'll have platform parity right away.

Would they port this to the successor? Skate and Nintendo. Wonder why these two words go well together? Hmmmm...
71Alg1OYPxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The meltdown at the Nintendo NYC Store crowd watching the Nintendo Direct presser live will be funny when that happens. Will probably put this one to shame:

Close up on Samus' mask as she looks up we see a reflection of a figure appears in her visor ... Halo theme kicks in ... crowd loses its mind.

King K Roll reaction was a little funnier.

I wonder if we already have announced cross-gen releases. I'd be very surprised if, say, Civilization 7 isn't also coming to Switch 2. Pokemon Legends Z-A I could see just being Switch 1 exclusive because I can see the Pokemon Company do something controversial like that lol

Best reveal def has to be Joker’s

Makes me wonder if Ultimate was a once in a lifetime event in terms of generating excitement and anticipation on character reveals for a Smash game?
Eh, probably not. Still plenty of third parties that'd get big reactions.

Like Jonesy fortnite

Whenever the next Smash happens, there are still some characters they can get that would generate a ton of buzz.

Master Chief, Lara Croft, Goku, etc.
If you are going to add Goku might as well put Iron Man, Spider-Man, Batman, Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Sponge Bob, etc

Let's speculated which games porting studios are currently making or will be making, once the Switch 2 is revealed.

I'm quite optimistic about Virtous, since they've made some great ports, with Nier automata and dying light

i'm expecting them to port Awoved and maybe Nier replicant.

I'm also expecting panic Button developing the Doom Switch 2 and Jedi Survivor port, since their currently developing PS4 version of it.
Doom is possibly one of the most important third party port, since it made people have faith on the third party support for the Switch, when it was released, also they ported Switch Eternal which is extremely impressive.

Saber interactive, the team who brought Witcher 3 on the Switch. possibly the most impressive port and also the game i completed on the Switch, i'm expecting them to maybe help with the Witcher 1 remake for the Switch 2.

I'm extremely excited seeing all the Developers working on NG Switch ports and seeing how they optimize the games for the Switch 2, like seeing what they were able to do is beyond impressive, especially with boost of power, ram and DLSS.

Hasn't it been in development for like more than 5 years? Also sorry if I came off as hostile
the whole development cycle sounds like it it's not a large team or massive budget. and since it's a F2P pseudo-mmo, it's going to need a long gestation cycle since not getting it right out the gate is pretty much a death sentence

I hope Mario Strikers takes a Gen off. It didn’t get great reviews. People didn’t like the gameplay. It should be an every other gen series. Let NLG do Luigi’s Mansion and another Nintendo IP

Don't want to talk too much about Smash but honestly nowdays Master Chief and a Sony rep (Kratos, Aloy, etc) isn't an idea too far ahead and impossible to think about. If either Sony and Microsoft aren't interested in getting their own party fighter games, they will be very comfortable licensing their characters to Nintendo.

+ other probably high hyped third party characters like Dante, Doomslayer, Crash, Lara Croft, etc.

forgot a potential playstation rep. I mean aloy technically qualifies now 😅. so does kratos too. not that it's likely but sakurai has that avenue now open to him.
Kat from Gravity Rush would be the most fun to design a move set around.

If Sony is willing to bring Horizon (albeit LEGO) to Switch, they should really bring over Gravity Rush too. It'd fine a more suitable audience imo.

I actually should've posted this here instead of the hardware thread, but eh live and learn.

Anyway this will be a direct repost just in case you're getting Deja Vu from reading this:

So I wanted to note this here after the (very minor granted) discovery I had last night.

So my new hyperfixation for the next year, Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 the new French-JRPG made on UE5, has an official website where you can sign up to a newsletter. Very cool, and it's very worth it to see the concept art of the game. Looks gorgeous. However, the key take away is one of the questions that's asked on the site before you sign in.

image.png

"What Platforms do you typically play on?"

It goes on to list the 4 current platforms that are listed, being Playstation, Steam, Epic Games and Xbox Series respectively... but it also lists Nintendo Switch as a platform at the bottom. Only those 5, usually questionnaires list other platforms, even if there's no plan to release their games on them. Kelper Interactive, the publisher for Sandfall Interactive's game, has a weird history with Nintendo Switch but they still released titles like Sifu, Tchia and the upcoming Cat Quest 3 onto the system.

Yeah I don't see this game not being on Switch 2. The only problem with this theory is that I can't find evidence of it saying it'll come to "all-modern platforms" like someone I asked pointed out, but like... c'mon why wouldn't you release a JRPG on the JRPG machine. Still very cool to see.

I actually should've posted this here instead of the hardware thread, but eh live and learn.

Anyway this will be a direct repost just in case you're getting Deja Vu from reading this:

So I wanted to note this here after the (very minor granted) discovery I had last night.

So my new hyperfixation for the next year, Clair Obscur: Expedition 33 the new French-JRPG made on UE5, has an official website where you can sign up to a newsletter. Very cool, and it's very worth it to see the concept art of the game. Looks gorgeous. However, the key take away is one of the questions that's asked on the site before you sign in.

image.png

"What Platforms do you typically play on?"

It goes on to list the 4 current platforms that are listed, being Playstation, Steam, Epic Games and Xbox Series respectively... but it also lists Nintendo Switch as a platform at the bottom. Only those 5, usually questionnaires list other platforms, even if there's no plan to release their games on them. Kelper Interactive, the publisher for Sandfall Interactive's game, has a weird history with Nintendo Switch but they still released titles like Sifu, Tchia and the upcoming Cat Quest 3 onto the system.

Yeah I don't see this game not being on Switch 2. The only problem with this theory is that I can't find evidence of it saying it'll come to "all-modern platforms" like someone I asked pointed out, but like... c'mon why wouldn't you release a JRPG on the JRPG machine. Still very cool to see.
What's the weird history Kelper has with Switch?

What's the weird history Kelper has with Switch?
It was mainly in reference to their overall releases. Of the 7 titles on their list (excluding Clair Obscur), only three are on Switch, with Tchia not even being published by them instead being self-published by developer Awaceb. Cat Quest III and Sifu both have/will have Switch versions. Flintlock is a multiplat release that's reasonably demanding settings so that's fine, but the remaining 3 titles (Scorn, Pacific Drive and Ultros) were all console exclusives.

I just think the inconsistent Switch support is a bit funky, maybe I'm reading too far into nothing.

It was mainly in reference to their overall releases. Of the 7 titles on their list (excluding Clair Obscur), only three are on Switch, with Tchia not even being published by them instead being self-published by developer Awaceb. Cat Quest III and Sifu both have/will have Switch versions. Flintlock is a multiplat release that's reasonably demanding settings so that's fine, but the remaining 3 titles (Scorn, Pacific Drive and Ultros) were all console exclusives.

I just think the inconsistent Switch support is a bit funky, maybe I'm reading too far into nothing.
On the Canadian eshop, seems like the situation is different. Sifu is not published by Kepler, but all (i think) the Tchia and Cat Quest games are by Kepler

On the Canadian eshop, seems like the situation is different. Sifu is not published by Kepler, but all (i think) the Tchia and Cat Quest games are by Kepler

... Huh... Wikipedia suggests Tchia and Sifu are the opposite. Funky.

Regardless, I don't see Clair Obscur avoiding Nintendo platforms. Seems like a perfect fit imo.

I totally expect Ultros and Eternights to hit Switch once the exclusivity period is over. Eternights devs even teased a Switch port on twitter. Sony exclusivity could take more than a year though. I also expect to En Garde to make its way to consoles, Switch included.

For Flintlock, the devs are big Nintendo fans and they ported Ashen to Switch by themselves. Maybe not Switch but it should be on the successor day 1.

But yes, Kepler do seem like a publisher that constantly seeks for platform exclusivity money. And it's kind of interesting that they haven't hit Nintendo's door yet, Nintendo also offers good deals for timed exclusivity. Maybe they'll start with the successor. They announce more games than any other indie publisher nowadays, wouldn't be surprising if they have some big surprises for the successor.

I totally expect Ultros and Eternights to hit Switch once the exclusivity period is over. Eternights devs even teased a Switch port on twitter. Sony exclusivity could take more than a year though. I also expect to En Garde to make its way to consoles, Switch included.

For Flintlock, the devs are big Nintendo fans and they ported Ashen to Switch by themselves. Maybe not Switch but it should be on the successor day 1.

But yes, Kepler do seem like a publisher that constantly seeks for platform exclusivity money. And it's kind of interesting that they haven't hit Nintendo's door yet, Nintendo also offers good deals for timed exclusivity. Maybe they'll start with the successor. They announce more games than any other indie publisher nowadays, wouldn't be surprising if they have some big surprises for the successor.
I think it's very case by case. Unlike a lot of other publishers, Kelper is a publisher formed of a committee of smaller studios (a "super developer" publishing group as described on Wikipedia), with Sandfall Interactive (and The Gentlebros of Cat Quest fame) being recent partners as of 2023. I think the individual developers choose to have those agreements, but overall it's just a company pooling resources to allow for publishing of individual projects.

It's a very cool system to have, and goes alongside other modern indie/AA publishing groups like Devolver, Annapurna, Outersloth, Blumhouse Games and tinyBuild. Looking forward to more stuff like this in the future.

There's also the discussion about the game itself which can be summarized as simple as "This is an outstanding looking UE5 JRPG that uses a lot of cool French Art-inspired landscapes and fantasy concepts while having a cool combat system that merges styles and systems from games like Persona and Paper Mario". Honestly, perfect fit for the Nintendo Switch 2 if and when it releases, cannot wait.

I think it's very case by case. Unlike a lot of other publishers, Kelper is a publisher formed of a committee of smaller studios (a "super developer" publishing group as described on Wikipedia), with Sandfall Interactive (and The Gentlebros of Cat Quest fame) being recent partners as of 2023. I think the individual developers choose to have those agreements, but overall it's just a company pooling resources to allow for publishing of individual projects.

It's a very cool system to have, and goes alongside other modern indie/AA publishing groups like Devolver, Annapurna, Outersloth, Blumhouse Games and tinyBuild. Looking forward to more stuff like this in the future.
makes sense. there's a big gap between "indies" and "AAA" that's difficult to fill. big publishers seem to be pulling out of that (EA Originals, Private Division, SE Collective) as the games cost more that they could spend on their high returns projects. meanwhile, these games are too costly for small indie publishers to fund

What if it's called the Switch II and they just put the text to the left of the Joycons so they're roman numerals

Metaphor will come to Switch 2 if it sells well, but the pre launch metrics are weirdly horrible for this game. There’s no mainstream hype at all.

Other Sega games will obviously come.

Back
Top Bottom