• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 205 80.4%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure this contains all the multiplayer modes like Warzone, which are separately installable, and contain a lot of content from previous games. If you just install the parts you play, it should be a lot smaller. I'd also expect they'll probably slim down the game size on Switch 2 anyway, both due to lower quality assets than Series X/PS5, but also potentially removing that content from the previous titles in the series, as they're not on the console. I don't play CoD games, though, so I'll admit I'm not 100% sure how it works.
That's exactly how it works. I only have the MW3 multiplayer instead on my PS5 and it's only like 60gbs

Kinda weird that Xbox does not confirm Call of Duty to Nintendo, i mean they signed a contract to do just that so what is the hold up?

The hold up is Nintendo's NDAs preventing third parties from talking about the console yet. Just because Nintendo have said they're going to announce a next-gen console at some point doesn't mean the floodgates suddenly open for third party announcements.

Nintendo probably wants to announce Call of Duty coming back to their ecosystem on their own terms. Even if we know it's happening, they probably want to make a huge deal about COD returning because, well... it is a huge deal.

Kinda like how 2K and Bethesda couldn't confirm that NBA 2K and Skyrim were coming to Switch until the January 2017 presentation despite the fact that they literally were on the October 2016 trailer.

I presume the difference between 3rd Parties announcing games for the NX/Switch Vs the next gen Switch/Switch 2 is that Nintendo was in a different position 2016 vs right now. So it doesn’t surprise me that much that Third Parties aren’t opening the leaks

Midori said there's a good chance P6 is revealed at the Switch 2 event as well
Where did she say that?

but it would make sense, since Persona biggest market as of right now is in Japan.

Using the Xbox and PS5 for the west, meanwhile Switch 2 for the East.

overall this is exciting news

As I expected in regards to Brazil's rumor of "early Switch 2 confirmations" during Summer Games Fest showcases:
Not sure if I believe it, though I'd love to see it.

I have a hard time seeing companies announce games for a console that isn't even publicly announced. And if the rule to allow game announcements before the reveal exists, what does it mean for Dynasty Warriors Origins, Monster Hunter Wilds? Are they "too big" to announce yet and Nintendo want them to wait for an official event ala January 2017 presentation?

Low and behold, every showcase this summer is pretty much done and nary a peep about Switch 2/Next Gen Nintendo console game announcement. Nintendo will make everyone wait until the Switch 2 console presentation showcase (not reveal trailer) to confirm games. Remember when Skyrim was literally in the Switch announcement video yet Bethesda "couldn't confirm if the game is coming" until the Jan 2017 presentation?

As I expected in regards to Brazil's rumor of "early Switch 2 confirmations" during Summer Games Fest showcases:

Low and behold, every showcase this summer is pretty much done and nary a peep about Switch 2/Next Gen Nintendo console game announcement. Nintendo will make everyone wait until the Switch 2 console presentation showcase (not reveal trailer) to confirm games. Remember when Skyrim was literally in the Switch announcement video yet Bethesda "couldn't confirm if the game is coming" until the Jan 2017 presentation?
The only exception is that Sega announced Sonic for the Nintendo NX before reveal of the Switch. But that doesn't happen now because Nintendo have not announced a codename for the Switch 2 that some can use in promotions.

nah, it's now obligatory to release all the newest cod game on Nintendo Switch 2, since Microsoft made a deal with Nintendo that they'll port their games for the Switch 2 for the next 10 years and all the content will be the same across platforms.

But i'm curios if they'll port a old cod game for the Switch this year.
Maybe they can pull a cloud release on Switch 2 and call it a day. I mean the contract did not specity native ports right? A cloud release technically makes new Cod playable on Switch 2 and that means they would have fullfilled their contract.

Omggg

Expedition 33, currently in development, is Sandfall Interactive's first game - it is published by Kepler Interactive, a global publisher and game developer built on a unique co‑ownership model. Clair Obscur: Expedition 33is a turn-based RPG experience aimed at new-gen consoles & PCs, and is set to release on Unreal Engine 5.

Doom the dark ages on Switch 2 would be awesome.

I personally think it would be able to hit a solid 1080/60, maybe upscale it to 1440p through DLSS.

Honestly I'd want to get 2016 and Eternal on the Switch 2, as well

Or at least see the Switch versions run nicely, I'd take that in a heartbeat

I think Doom Dark Ages is pretty much a lock for Switch 2.

I believe CoD coming back to Nintendo hardware after 11 years is too much of a big deal for them to not put BLOPs 6 on the Switch 2 reveal trailer.

"No Nintendo Direct this week

End of the month and, as far as I know, the precise date hasn't been determined"

tenor.gif

Midori said there's a good chance P6 is revealed at the Switch 2 event as well

Sounds more like speculation by her. And in this case i'd doubt that.

Iirc, Persona 5 was announced in standalone, Atlus/SEGA made events / streams. I don't think this will change, especially now when they fully embrace multiplatform and have even less reason to tie themselves to another companies event.
At least for the initial unveil/announcement.

Nintendo dragging this out as long as humanly possible, as usual. Direct will come last week of June for sure.

See this is why when people were cheerleading the demise of E3, I wasn't on that boat. At least with E3 there was always a set date and all three of the console manufacturers more or less were forced to reveal their hand, now it's like "lets stretch this shit out for as long as humanly possible".

Iirc, Persona 5 was announced in standalone, Atlus/SEGA made events / streams. I don't think this will change, especially now when they fully embrace multiplatform and have even less reason to tie themselves to another companies event.
Using a Nintendo event to reveal a Persona game would be unprecedented, that would mean going from treating Nintendo as the last place to put Persona games to having it front and center at a Nintendo event. Persona is a Playstation dominated series since the beginning. I could see Atlus putting Shin Megami Tensei games on Switch 2 events, but not Persona.

I mean persona 3 Reload was announced at a Xbox showcase.

I’m personally speculating that Atlus might see the Switch 2 as the platform best suited for persona 6, especially if we consider the Japanese market.

Like I can see Persona 6 announcement at a Nintendo presentation, then later at that same day they’ll announce it on other platforms.

I noticed how there is seemingly a pattern of Switch games intended as Holiday releases being pushed to January-March of the following year

Animal Crossing: New Horizons got pushed from its intended Holiday 2019 release date to March 2020 because the game wasn't ready
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury got pushed from its presumably intended Holiday 2020 release date to February 2021 because of COVID
Pokémon Legends: Arceus got pushed from its presumably intended Holiday 2021 release date because BDSP wasn't ready for its September release date and it took PLA's slot
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom got pushed from its intended Holiday 2022 release date to May 2023 for QA and debugging

I think of 2020 without Animal Crossing, and 2023 without Zelda, and they feel very empty so maybe it's actually a good thing that it all turned out the way it did. Makes me wonder if Nintendo also thinks this and will make having one big game for the first half of every year an actual strategy.

I noticed how there is seemingly a pattern of Switch games intended as Holiday releases being pushed to January-March of the following year

Animal Crossing: New Horizons got pushed from its intended Holiday 2019 release date to March 2020 because the game wasn't ready
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury got pushed from its presumably intended Holiday 2020 release date to February 2021 because of COVID
Pokémon Legends: Arceus got pushed from its presumably intended Holiday 2021 release date because BDSP wasn't ready for its September release date and it took PLA's slot
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom got pushed from its intended Holiday 2022 release date to May 2023 for QA and debugging

I think of 2020 without Animal Crossing, and 2023 without Zelda, and they feel very empty so maybe it's actually a good thing that it all turned out the way it did. Makes me wonder if Nintendo also thinks this and will make having one big game for the first half of every year an actual strategy.

You could probably just apply this to hardware too.

3DS likely was intended for holiday 2010 but got pushed into early 2011.

Same thing happened with NX/Switch (aiming for holiday 2016, couldn't make it so we got NES Classic instead).

And now again with Switch 2 (holiday 2024 release turns into early 2025). If you want to go even further back, the N64 was supposed to be holiday 1995, got pushed back into the next summer, SNES/Super Famicom was supposed to release in 1989, that's the only reason the Game Boy even released because Yamauchi had cancelled the Game Boy project believe it or not.

I’m curious which games we’ll see from Microsoft, since I’m guessing he got couple of Switch 2 ports ready and he’s just waiting until it gets a reveal trailer.

I mean persona 3 Reload was announced at a Xbox showcase.

I’m personally speculating that Atlus might see the Switch 2 as the platform best suited for persona 6, especially if we consider the Japanese market.

Like I can see Persona 6 announcement at a Nintendo presentation, then later at that same day they’ll announce it on other platforms.

Personally, i'd make a difference between the next new mainline Persona and a remake of one that's already (in various versions) available pretty much everywhere.

And just to be sure, i'm only talking about the initial announcement / reveal. Everything else after that is fair play to appear anywhere for marketing deals.

Atlus loves their weird ass, almost AR-RPG like mainline Persona announcement events.

I can't really see Atlus going from not even considering releasing P3 Reload on Switch, to revealing Persona 6 in a Nintendo presentation.

I can't really see Atlus going from not even considering releasing P3 Reload on Switch, to revealing Persona 6 in a Nintendo presentation.
Exactly, why would Atlus go from Switch being their last priority platform to Switch 2 being such a big priority that they reveal their biggest game on Switch 2?

See this is why when people were cheerleading the demise of E3, I wasn't on that boat. At least with E3 there was always a set date and all three of the console manufacturers more or less were forced to reveal their hand, now it's like "lets stretch this shit out for as long as humanly possible".
Agreed it held everyone to a standard.

Atlus has been at  every Nintendo event with something since like, 2020ish? Maybe a bit earlier if there's 3DS era stuff I'm forgetting. It's not that unlikely they get to show off P6, and using P5 as an example why they wouldn't isn't a good comparison since that reveal to release cycle started 11 years ago
Exactly, why would Atlus go from Switch being their last priority platform to Switch 2 being such a big priority that they reveal their biggest game on Switch 2?
It's called "Nintendo would have given Atlus a big bag of cash for marketing rights".

And P3R (plus Metaphor) likely only skipped Switch because of hardware limitations.

Persona 6 is imo a potential game awards announcement considering how high praise was Persona 5 with western press + I can see Geoff Keighley having special interest in Persona IP

Persona 6 is imo a potential game awards announcement considering how high praise was Persona 5 with western press + I can see Geoff Keighley having special interest in Persona IP
I'm already formulating lists in my head of both new and old 3rd party IP that'll be at the Switch 2 reveal...I'm highly curious...it's a fun exercise lol.

Significant multiplatform titles releasing late 2024 or later (that are not on Switch).

Late 2024: Assassin's Creed Shadows, Black Ops 6, Star Wars Outlaws, Dragon Age The Veilguard, Metaphor RE Bullshit,
Early to mid 2025 (I assume): Monster Hunter Wilds, Doom Dark Ages, MGS3 remake,
Late 2025 (I assume): GTA6, RE9, Marathon,
2026 onward (I assume): Kingdom Hearts 4, DQ12, Bioshock 4, Assassin's Creed Hexe

Not a massive slate so far (companies other than Microsoft and Ubisoft and Square and Sega have been more tight lipped about their upcoming titles than in previous years), but definitely a few games to test right away if the Switch 2 can go from getting 80% to 90% of multiplatform titles to like 99%.

I remember than Shin Megami Tensei V was part of Switch 2017 presentation, and it took 4 years for it to be released on Switch. Is there any chance that Switch 2 presentation will do something similar and put in a game that won't be released in 3-4 years?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom