• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 207 80.5%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
It's launching with both 3D Mario and Mario Kart.

"but they don't want to oversha-"

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm feeling it.
Don't kill the mood. Don't ruin the vibe.
My sources told me 3d Mario at launch and kart 10 for the holidays

wait...you wanna know who my sources are? Well my friend, I'll let you know that I was having lunch at a friends place yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a sandwich by my friends koi pond. One of the magnificent fish, a beautiful red carp, suddenly locked eyes with me and says this with absolute confidence

"Mario's returning to space on February 28th! Don't forget to reverse on November 21st! See ya there or be square, tee-hee-hee!"

Then rapidly swam away and pretended nothing happend like the universe just went back to normal. Could you believe that? My friend didn't even notice the exchange and told me I was crazy.

Last edited:
It's launching with both 3D Mario and Mario Kart.

"but they don't want to oversha-"

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm feeling it.
Don't kill the mood. Don't ruin the vibe.
I'll do you one better: 3D Mario with Mario Kart IN it. The world's first AAAAA game

I just realized next year is the 40th anniversary for the Super Mario franchise.

A new 3D game is likely a given. Whether it will be a launch title or a holiday title to be closer to the anniversary is the question.

I’m honestly curious how far the next PM is in development, and how TTYD remake is gonna factor into the gap between entries. Is it essentially a new entry given its a full blown remake and we’ll have to wait another 4 years?

I’m honestly curious how far the next PM is in development, and how TTYD remake is gonna factor into the gap between entries. Is it essentially a new entry given its a full blown remake and we’ll have to wait another 4 years?
I don't think it's in development yet. I think they will want to see if turn based combat resonates with newcomers and more "casual" audiences who are really just looking for a Mario game to play through TTYD's reception.

Mid 2027 feels like a safeish bet. I don't think 4 years per entry is set in stone.

When you see Legacy and this is at the end.

Ol2oh2.gif

My sources told me 3d Mario at launch and kart 10 for the holidays

wait...you wanna know who my sources are? Well my friend, I'll let you know that I was having lunch at a friends place yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a sandwich by my friends koi pond. One of the magnificent fish, a beautiful red carp, suddenly locked eyes with me and says this with absolute confidence

"Mario's returning to space on February 28th! Don't forget to reverse on November 21st! See ya there or be square, tee-hee-hee!"

Then rapidly swam away and pretended nothing happend like the universe just went back to normal. Could you believe that? My friend didn't even notice the exchange and told me I was crazy.
US_MTn.gif

Not sure if I believe it, though I'd love to see it.

I have a hard time seeing companies announce games for a console that isn't even publicly announced. And if the rule to allow game announcements before the reveal exists, what does it mean for Dynasty Warriors Origins, Monster Hunter Wilds? Are they "too big" to announce yet and Nintendo want them to wait for an official event ala January 2017 presentation?

Not sure if I believe it, though I'd love to see it.

I have a hard time seeing companies announce games for a console that isn't even publicly announced.
It is publicly announced. Nintendo made a statement saying "we're making a new console, you'll get info this year about it, don't expect anything before June." Which is roughly in line with their announcement in March of 2016. After which, Sega and Ubisoft both announced that games (Sonic Forces and Just Dance, IIRC?) were coming to "the NX," with placeholder logos.

Especially if Nintendo was originally planning a holiday 2024 launch, there are probably a decent chunk of 2025/2026 multiplats that were planning on announcing their Switch 2 versions this summer. If they're games like Sonic or Just Dance - games in long running franchises that have consistently come to Nintendo's platform - you're saying nothing about the next hardware to announce it, except "business as usual."

It would be weird if something put a hard date of their Switch 2 version, that's probably getting ahead of their skis, but a launch year or "coming soon" with a "Next Nintendo console" or even "Switch and future Nintendo console" seems reasonable.

Yeah I can't see companies like Ubisoft, Capcom etc announcing Switch 2 games before the Switch 2 gets an actual announcement/reveal.
It doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view, for both Nintendo and third parties.

When Nintendo actually reveals it, they want to create momentum and excitement in the public. Revealing the console after a bunch of games have already been announced it kinda deflates that excitement.

If companies do reveal Switch 2 games, I doubt it'll be that many

Last edited:
Next week is SGF (Summer Game Fest). PHBrasil said that he expects some announcements to include a Switch 2 version confirmation starting by June IIRC.
I doubt it, Nintendo seems desperate to keep all focus on the Switch still. It would be a weird situation if third parties openly spoke of Switch 2 when Nintendo themselves say nothing about it.

but a launch year or "coming soon" with a "Next Nintendo console" or even "Switch and future Nintendo console" seems reasonable.
I think if we get these kinds of announcements, it'll just be the generic Nintendo logo. Keeps things clean like the old "NX" placeholders

I think if we get these kinds of announcements, it'll just be the generic Nintendo logo. Keeps things clean like the old "NX" placeholders
I'm expecting some press releases to mention 'next-gen' or 'next' Nintendo consoles.
If leakers are saying some Switch 2 games may get announced next week. This may be more with smaller devs and games with a crowdfunding or fan component. it's a good way to keep interest high

But I suspect a lot of bigger third parties may not mention anything at all, and save the marketing cycle if they know the Switch version will launch later (due to the delay). I think it will only make sense to mention next-gen device if it's launching day and date, kind of like that Sonic Forces mention by Sega where NX was listed as a platform. That game was multiplat and day and date on Switch.

I'm expecting some press releases to mention 'next-gen' or 'next' Nintendo consoles.
If leakers are saying some Switch 2 games may get announced next week. This may be more with smaller devs and games with a crowdfunding or fan component. it's a good way to keep interest high

But I suspect a lot of bigger third parties may not mention anything at all, and save the marketing cycle if they know the Switch version will launch later (due to the delay). I think it will only make sense to mention next-gen device if it's launching day and date, kind of like that Sonic Forces mention by Sega where NX was listed as a platform. That game was multiplat and day and date on Switch.
Which leakers are mentioning that some Switch 2 ports will be announced?

I'm guessing that something is in the works, but we aren't going to see it anything for a few years. 2027 is probably the absolute earliest. Shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing that we get a new game in 2027/8 and then a remake of Super Paper Mario 2031ish.

It is publicly announced. Nintendo made a statement saying "we're making a new console, you'll get info this year about it, don't expect anything before June." Which is roughly in line with their announcement in March of 2016. After which, Sega and Ubisoft both announced that games (Sonic Forces and Just Dance, IIRC?) were coming to "the NX," with placeholder logos.

Especially if Nintendo was originally planning a holiday 2024 launch, there are probably a decent chunk of 2025/2026 multiplats that were planning on announcing their Switch 2 versions this summer. If they're games like Sonic or Just Dance - games in long running franchises that have consistently come to Nintendo's platform - you're saying nothing about the next hardware to announce it, except "business as usual."

It would be weird if something put a hard date of their Switch 2 version, that's probably getting ahead of their skis, but a launch year or "coming soon" with a "Next Nintendo console" or even "Switch and future Nintendo console" seems reasonable.
But currently we still get no any titles announced for Switch 2. Do you think those developers still waiting for "official announcement"?

Developers will be in contact with Nintendo and they will have agreements on what they can or can not share.

Most likely;

‘Hey Nintendo can we share that our game will release on your new unnamed system?’

‘Sure, we don’t mind’

‘What’s off limits?’

‘Everything else’

See, easy.

Developers will be in contact with Nintendo and they will have agreements on what they can or can not share.

Most likely;

‘Hey Nintendo can we share that our game will release on your new unnamed system?’

‘Sure, we don’t mind’

‘What’s off limits?’

‘Everything else’

See, easy.
,,Hey Nintendo can we at Ubisoft announce some games for your system’’.

Nintendo:
will-smith-chris-rock.gif

I do think its weird that Nintendo prefers to have this whole year just be stacked with third parties announcing new Xbox and Playstation games and no one mentioning anything Nintendo related, but they have chosen that outcome because they only want to focus on Switch 1 this year.

I dont know if its worthy of a thread but seems like we are not getting anything in the Tales of Festival 2024

I wont say the series is cursed because bandai has a list of those, but man the availability of this franchise is not great.

Seems like we have a new Switch 2 port on the horizon.

curios if this was meant to be one of the early games for the Switch 2 before the delay

Stuff like this is enough to keep me hyped till the reveal trailer. Give me more third party games being confirmed as Switch 2 ports. Visions of Mana looks really gorgeous, news like these really remind you of what wonders the next console will be capable of.

I dont know if its worthy of a thread but seems like we are not getting anything in the Tales of Festival 2024

I wont say the series is cursed because bandai has a list of those, but man the availability of this franchise is not great.

Regrettably the success Bandai gets from FromSoft RPGs makes them care less about their own niche JRPG Tales of series. They don't seem to want to remaster or port over more of their old Tales of games to modern platforms except Symphonia and Vesperia. This is very sad due to Tales of being historically one of the top JRPG series after Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest.

Visions of Mana could be a Soul Hackers 2 situation where the game bombs and thus makes a late port to Switch 2 not worth it for Square Enix.
Their main audience for Mana is on Nintendo, it was always extremely unlikely they'd skip the platform.

If Visions of Mana is on Switch 2, this may have been one of the launch games given the current fall 2024 release date.

Not wanting to deny people the chance to play it earlier but I do think it would be a smart move for Nintendo to get SE to move it into 2025 to coincide with the Switch 2 launch.

Getting 3rd party games late, even by a few months, was always a mark against the Switch 3P releases and i suspect they lose some sales out of it.

Last edited:

They really should’ve done more to keep the series relevant during the last several years, at least by remastering some of the older games. Games like Abyss and Xillia being basically completely unavailable nowadays is a giant shame.

Back
Top Bottom