• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Skipping Gamescom 2024

Just a little thing:

The fact that stuff leaked from GamesCom last year, wasn't actually the fault of the fair or it's organizers.

It's Nintendo that set up those "show off" meetings in the closed-off business area, Nintendo made the appointments with the devs / pubs that took part, it's on Nintendo to have them sign a NDA (which they very likely did).

But neither Nintendo, and especially not anyone responsible for organizing GamesCom, can prevent devs talking to each other and some devs passing info to journalists.

Of course they weren't happy that things got leaked, but that's the danger zone you enter when you open up info access to more and more people.

If anything, they likely just decided that the remainig games on this years release calendar don't justify the cost of setting up a 6 day (1 day media / business, 5 days fully open) booth. And due to the rumored delay there's no need to have anymore behind-closed-doors schedules for Switch 2. They got the message to devs and pubs with last years presentation, anything further you just contact them directly or apply for devkits.

gonna be real every time we dont hear from them at this point i get more excited. switch 2 year gonna be a real one boys

My take?

They’re doing their own thing this year and don’t want to bother with (some) external events. Soon enough Switch 2 marketing is kicking off, and they don’t need to spend on Gamescom presence. If they have their own showcase in the summer, and setup kiosks in malls like they did with Switch, it’s going to be a fair chunk of change.

I’ll take that over the needlessly pessimistic “oh no Switch 2 delayed even more”

gonna be real every time we dont hear from them at this point i get more excited. switch 2 year gonna be a real one boys

I was very happy to find out that there was no General Direct for April. Metroid Prime 4 on Switch 2 here we come

Smaller events in various locations give more people an opportunity check things out and see what's cooking. This might be to their benefit, more control and seeing as how big shows have sorta become less of an enticing event to participate in, no overhead there.

Back
Top Bottom