• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Skipping Gamescom 2024

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight
In a statement issued to German publication Games Wirtschaft, a spokesperson for the company said it would not be an exhibitor at this summer’s event.
Nintendo attended last year’s Gamescom as an exhibitor. According to VGC sources, the company also used the event to show off tech demos for Switch 2 behind closed doors.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say leaks and small Switch lineup as they prep Drake has to do with it

When asked, a spokeswoman for Nintendo of Europe said: “Gamescom is a central event in Nintendo’s event calendar. This year, however, after careful consideration, we decided against taking part in Cologne. Instead, players can try out the games for Nintendo Switch as part of other Germany-wide events.”

before people freak out

Yeah, like a posted on the other thread, a combination of leaks, lineups and marketing/event budgets are more than enough for them to not attend this year

All steam ahead for Switch 2 at this point. If they do put out a Direct in the next 6 months it'll be C tier, and understandably so.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it but I feel like Nintendo would've still gone anyways to do what they did last year with showing off the console behind closed doors to developers - even if they have nothing in the second half of the year? They could've done the same thing they do at most events where they have a good amount of older games on the showfloor (Mario Kart, Mario Wonder, Smash Ultimate, Endless Ocean at this point) and then maybe one or two H2 releases so I don't really know how to read them not going this year honestly.

If I recall, Nintendo really only brought already released games to Gamescom last year. I don't think Mario Wonder or Mario RPG were on the show floor so whether or not they attend this year means little to us who aren't going.

8mnbk5.jpg

I don't think they brought Super Mario Bros. Wonder to the show floor last year so I guess it means nothing in terms of possible fall releases?

It's probably just that attending these events is more expensive than ever and now, without E3, Gamescom must be the most expensive of the bunch.

Wouldn't jump to the same conclusion of last year that "they aren't attending E3 so they don't have major games in the second half of the year".

They still ship complete, bug-free games on cartridges so they are way better than Playstation and the large third parties that ship buggy software with MTX and lots of download and installation wait time.
Sony is already a villain ... sad to see Nintendo succumb to this, if only they gave me muh games news

I'm good on games to play, but I am wondering if this means Switch 1 is basically being hard dropped for the rest of the year as far as physical stuff goes.

Not like Nintendo had really blessed GC with extensive attendance in the last couple years. And even in the rare cases they were attending, they mostly brought Old Shit (TM)

they werent at gamescom in 2021 or 2022
Yeah, and those were some pretty light years for the Switch too. Not without a lot of bright spots, but still. Gamescom was primarily used to advertise their holiday lineup. Which both of those years were very light.

2021 had Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond as their holiday lineup. It was a pretty light year for the holidays.

2022 had Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, and Bayonetta 3 for the holidays. It also had Mario + Rabbids by ubisoft. But that's really not a good year.

Now, 2021 and 2022 had a really good beginning of the year. So that more or less balanced everything but with this year, the first half of the year is going to be dire. And, 2021 and 2022 at least had a mainline Pokémon game, and there isn't going to be one this year.

I'm good on games to play, but I am wondering if this means Switch 1 is basically being hard dropped for the rest of the year as far as physical stuff goes.
It definitely doesn't mean that considering last year they didn't bring Super Mario Bros Wonder to the show floor and that was the biggest title of the year.
Yeah, and those were some pretty light years for the Switch too. Not without a lot of bright spots, but still. Gamescom was primarily used to advertise their holiday lineup. Which both of those years were very light.

2021 had Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond as their holiday lineup. It was a pretty light year for the holidays.

2022 had Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, and Bayonetta 3 for the holidays. It also had Mario + Rabbids by ubisoft. But that's really not a good year.

Now, 2021 and 2022 had a really good beginning of the year. So that more or less balanced everything but with this year, the first half of the year is going to be dire. And, 2021 and 2022 at least had a mainline Pokémon game, and there isn't going to be one this year.
2022 had... Splatoon 3 in September?

Also what year would be a heavy-hitter one if 2022 wasn't?

2023 had Super Mario Bros Wonder and Super Mario RPG, and neither were playable on Gamescom.

Holiday, was light. Again, I said, that the beginning of those years were very strong. It's just the holiday games were very light, which is why Nintendo didn't see a need to go to Gamescom those years
Splatoon 3 came out in September and just before than Xenoblade 3 WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED

look stacked holidays are cool but a consistent lineup throughout the year is the most important thing

Good lord if those were light holidays for Nintendo then what’s a good holiday lol

These lists really speak to the blinders with which we often talk about these games. How can games that sell upwards of 10 million units be considered "light"? Only if your criteria for evaluating the launches in a given year heavily prioritizes """core""" games.

It definitely doesn't mean that considering last year they didn't bring Super Mario Bros Wonder to the show floor and that was the biggest title of the year.

2022 had... Splatoon 3 in September?

Also what year would be a heavy-hitter one if 2022 wasn't?

2023 had Super Mario Bros Wonder and Super Mario RPG, and neither were playable on Gamescom.
Splatoon 3 was a summer release, not a holiday release.

It was strange Mario Wonder and SMRPG weren't playable.
Splatoon 3 came out in September and just before than Xenoblade 3 WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED

look stacked holidays are cool but a consistent lineup throughout the year is the most important thing
I don't disagree with you. I am not saying that it was a bad year. In actuality, 2022 was one of my favorite years. But in terms of Gamescom, it's main purpose for Nintendo was to showcase holiday games. Games that would release in late Q3 to Q4. If they don't have many of those games to justify a full exhibition, it's not going to be worth it.
Good lord if those were light holidays for Nintendo then what’s a good holiday lol
Probably a lot of different games with mass appeal. But something that could be said, is Nintendo probably has gotten really stingy with marketing budgets lately. So events take up less than the pie, and I think covid put a wrench in all of that too. Also, I'm not sure how much Nintendo is allowed to showcase a series like Pokémon with playable demos at these events too. Again, kneecaping those holiday games to niche games like Bayonetta and Metroid.

These lists really speak to the blinders with which we often talk about these games. How can games that sell upwards of 10 million units be considered "light"? Only if your criteria for evaluating the launches in a given year heavily prioritizes """core""" games.
Actually it's the opossite, it's moreso games like Metroid Dread and Bayonetta that prevented them coming to Gamescom. With such a small sales footprint, it wouldn't really be worth the massive cost to solely showcase those titles.

Mario Party Superstars, is a fantastic game that doesn't demo well as well. So it's not really worth it for the massive marketing cost. Plus, it's going to sell well regardless. Probably it's the same reason Wonder and RPG wasn't at last year's.

I don't disagree with you. I am not saying that it was a bad year. In actuality, 2022 was one of my favorite years. But in terms of Gamescom, it's main purpose for Nintendo was to showcase holiday games. Games that would release in late Q3 to Q4. If they don't have many of those games to justify a full exhibition, it's not going to be worth it.

Probably a lot of different games with mass appeal. But something that could be said, is Nintendo probably has gotten really stingy with marketing budgets lately. So events take up less than the pie, and I think covid put a wrench in all of that too. Also, I'm not sure how much Nintendo is allowed to showcase a series like Pokémon with playable demos at these events too. Again, kneecaping those holiday games to niche games like Bayonetta and Metroid.

Pokemon and Mario Party are gigantic holiday titles

A very, very late summer release that also took advantage from being close enough to the holiday season.

But even then, they had a game that sold 20m in 6 weeks in November, a long awaited core focused game in Bayonetta 3 and a major 3rd party exclusive in Mario+ Rabbids.

I mean if we use your metric then 2017 had a light holiday lineup with Super Mario Odyssey and the niche Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors.
Actually it's the opossite, it's moreso games like Metroid Dread and Bayonetta that prevented them coming to Gamescom. With such a small sales footprint, it wouldn't really be worth the massive cost to solely showcase those titles.

Mario Party Superstars, is a fantastic game that doesn't demo well as well. So it's not really worth it for the massive marketing cost. Plus, it's going to sell well regardless. Probably it's the same reason Wonder and RPG wasn't at last year's.
Sorry but that doesn't make much sense. Metroid Dread was their main game of E3 2021 and they heavily promoted it as the launch title to OLED.

When they were planning to attend E3 2022, I'm pretty sure Bayonetta 3 and Splatoon 3 would be the main games playable on the show floor.

If anything those core oriented games are the ones that take the most advantage of being playable on show floors and attending big events.

Super Mario Bros Wonder is just about the best game possible to demo or to bring to show floors, they just didn't feel the need to reveal much more before release, and it would sell a ton regardless, much like I don't recall TotK being playable in any public event before release?

Also for all we know they can skip Gamescom and have playable demos for their main holiday titles on Pax and Nintendo Live, or just heavily promote them with commercials like they did with Wonder or have a demo on the eShop.

i am choosing to digest this news as: nintendo plans to have their own switch 2 showcase in the near future they know they don't need gamescom for.

and i will happily live in the la la land i have created for myself.

I'm a little confused. I was responding to your premise of 2021 and 2022 being "light" years, which I think is observably false based on sales data. I have no interest in why Nintendo does or does not choose to demo games at conventions, though I think your reasoning is fairly solid.

(though given the enthusiasm that surrounded Dread and Bayonetta prior to release I do feel like a place like Gamescom would be the ideal place to showcase those games; I'm not German so I'm not super familiar but I imagine that a """core""" audience in Europe would flock to that event)

it's crazy how i vividly remember the reports of them showing Switch 2 last in secret and we're just over 4 months out from it being a year since that happened.

fuck time is moving fast.

honesty its whatever,

i dont think nintendo has ever revealed a game at gamescom before.

As all marketing spendings it's just a calculation between effort and return.

These real live events are probably just not worth the effort anymore, they get the same marketing results if you just make a bunch of social media post.

The main reason is definitely the absence of games in the second half of the year. For Nintendo, this is ultimately a good thing as it realizes that these game exhibitions are actually a waste of money.

As many people have highlighted, I don't really think there's a lot to gain from this or that we can say, especially if it's true that they usually don't put my emphasis on showcasing new games but instead their whole portfolio with a lot of games being already released titles. I would also like to mention that, while I know it wasn't an issue last year so it probably wouldn't be this year, Pax West does take place the week after Gamescom and, with the success that they had with Nintendo Live at Pax West last year, I wouldn't be surprised if that's something they do again. This would mean that if they went to Gamescom, they'd have a major presence at two conventions back-to-back and maybe they don't see that as advantageous? Just a guess but I feel like for Nintendo, going to these shows this late in the Switch's lifespan is more to have closed door conversations in their next hardware and it's possible with the leaks coming out of Gamescom (which also added to this 2024 release speculation), maybe they just don't see if as worth it for all of this likely to happen again. They also likely will have the same conversations at PAX?

I know I'm rambling here now, I apologize!!

Nintendo was besides themselves with anger about last year's leaks from gamescom, the president was forced to strongly deny the reports. So this is just Nintendo being petty that Gamescom had the gall to mention anything about the Switch 2, which Nintendo never wants to talk about because they are terrified about transitioning from Switch to Switch 2.

Back
Top Bottom