• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo should nurture Ever Oasis since Zelda is going the BOTW route.

souio

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
Sure, the first one was jank and unfortunately sold very low. But playing it on 3DS for the first time a couple years and it was a merge between traditional Zelda and the Mana series. Each character had an ability that could solve various dungeon puzzles, and the major dungeons of the game really did feel like OoT/MM dungeons but in another game. I think if they did iron out a lot of its (admittedly many) kinks, it could make for a semi-continuation of pre-BOTW style Zelda games.

No. Paper Mario is going to be the new traditional pre-BOTW Zelda. It’s already around 80% of the way there.
Jeez, no need to be such a contrarian. What do you have against Ever Oasis that made you feel like you had to say this?

Anyway, I agree. Ever Oasis seems like it has so much to grow into as a series and I've been hoping for a Switch port since I never got to get it on the DS.

Describing it as Zelda meets Mana makes me even more interested.

Leaks pointed out that Grezzo is doing something different, possibly involving dragons that go very fast but yeah, I want Ever Oasis to return in the future. With some adequate budget backing it. Mana-like combat was pretty on point and Ishii can do it even better with a bigger scope. He needs to go even harder on town building aspect of the game, as it's becoming the most popular part of the modern gaming.

This wasn't intended to be a stealth Ever Oasis appreciation thread

But I'm also not opposed to the idea

No. Paper Mario is going to be the new traditional pre-BOTW Zelda. It’s already around 80% of the way there.
It is a bit funny people put down fans of the first two Paper Marios for being unable to move on when the devs want to go in a new direction while also wanting that new direction to be the old style of another franchise where the devs want to go in a new direction.

It'd be really neat, but Ever Oasis has basically no pull. They'd need to do a lot to get it off the ground at all.

I know it's overplayed, but Paper Mario does feel like the better bet to continue this style of game design.

Playing through it now! Its a great game, nintendo should definitely give this series another shot at life

Haven't played Oasis, but I figured they'd continue to maintain Zelda's one-two punch of 'mainline', then 'handheld' and repeat... (even though it's all the same platform now.)
After BoTW came Awakening, and I guess after TotK will come another smaller, puzzle-ier Zelda, whether remake or original, to tie us over until the next mainline.

And I really like the idea that they could turn these smaller games around quicker... but now I have the sense that the sheer weight of the IP, the prestige of an original Zelda especially, makes it harder for them to just squeeze one out between two mainlines. Maybe it's smart to cultivate another IP to fill this gap.

I'd rather Nintendo not try and force another IP, new or a retrofitted one like Ever Oasis, be turned into "not classic Zelda". At best the series would live in the shadow of big brother, and most likely would just be crushed under the weight of expectations.

What Nintendo should do is get a 3rd party developer or B team to work on "smaller" classic Zelda experiences (think like Capcom did with OoA/OoS/MC) to help fill in the gaps between their Open Air titles. This should be done in tandem with letting teams like Grezzo work on their own IP to try and find that next Splatoon.

I think Ever Oasis as an ip could have been expanded into something greater, but I think that ship has sailed. However even if Nintendo does give it a second chance, they should focus more on beefing it up as an action rpg. Nintendo doesn't really have a traditional action rpg in their stable of games like Ys, Kingdom Hearts, or Tales. Yes you do have Xenoblade, but it's "single player mmo" gameplay doesn't give the same kind of experience as the other titles I mentioned. Other IP that Nintendo could give a shot of adrenaline with a game in that style include Dragalia Lost, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, or Glory of Heracles.

Sure, the first one was jank and unfortunately sold very low. But playing it on 3DS for the first time a couple years and it was a merge between traditional Zelda and the Mana series. Each character had an ability that could solve various dungeon puzzles, and the major dungeons of the game really did feel like OoT/MM dungeons but in another game. I think if they did iron out a lot of its (admittedly many) kinks, it could make for a semi-continuation of pre-BOTW style Zelda games.
I have literally never even heard of this game. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will be looking into it!

I wanted to play Ever Oasis but wasn't able to. Seems like it had potential so I wouldn't mind seeing it again in some way.

I keep seeing people bring up other franchises that could take the place of pre-BOTW Zelda, but... if Zelda itself moved away from that spot, why would Nintendo feel in a rush to fill that vacancy with something that far fewer people already care about?

I keep seeing people bring up other franchises that could take the place of pre-BOTW Zelda, but... if Zelda itself moved away from that spot, why would Nintendo feel in a rush to fill that vacancy with something that far fewer people already care about?
I think there is still a niche there to fill. But I think it will be filled by future 2D Zelda titles.

I don't think Ever Oasis's lack of success had anything to do with its design or gameplay. The buzz was just 100% about Switch when it came out. Lots of folks talked about 3DS like it was dirty in 2017. Which was a shame! Lots of great stuff was still coming out. Ever Oasis was a really neat one I never got too far in, but this thread makes me want to revisit it.

I think a big appeal of Zelda is the aesthetic and Ever Oasis just didn't have that. Even if they did as you said I expect people would mostly just say 'I wish we had a Zelda like this'

The design, name, and look of this IP honestly has zero appeal for me, not shocked it's dusted and I don't see it coming back.

Ever Oasis is like a top ten most underrated game for me. Decent combat, fun puzzles, exploration, and cool town building. I'd love to see an eshop only version come to Switch.

Ishii is a master of worldbuilding, so I just want him to do more stuff in general and not... remakes. FFXI, Legend of Mana, Ever Oasis, the stuff he touches is legendary in that regard.

Maybe Starfox Adventures could be the traditional Zelda. Or Kid Icarus. Or make a spin off series with Toon Link called Toon Zelda.

PS: Or a Fire Emblem spin off.

I really like Ever Oasis but i believe.... Nintendo would soon push for a new smaller scale 3D Zelda title first before revisiting Ever Oasis sadly

I think they'll fill that kind of games with new 2D Zelda eventually.
Sure, it won't be 3D Zelda, OoT/TP style, but I don't think Nintendo is feeling the need to make traditional 3D Zelda-style games. If so, they would... Make traditional 3D Zelda games.
I hear the desire to go back to that though, even if I don't need it personally.

YES. They just have to ditch whaterver useless battle system they try to shoehorn in those last games, and make it an action RPG and we have some of the action adventure best games.

YES. They just have to ditch whaterver useless battle system they try to shoehorn in those last games, and make it an action RPG and we have some of the action adventure best games.
Imagine Origami King with action on the map instead of separate battle/puzzle screen.

Imagine Origami King with action on the map instead of separate battle/puzzle screen.
Yep, when I did the first Paper Maché battle, I was like "why isn't the rest of the game's combat like this??" If it was, it would have went from an already very good Switch game for me to probably top 3. The exploration and level design in that game were top notch.

If it were my job to design a game in the style of older 3D Zeldas while avoiding brand confusion with the open air games; I would do it by making a Paper Mario type spinoff that is visually distinct at a glance while still recognisable. Clockwork Zelda or Marionette Zelda or something. I'd lean into the intricate puzzle box vibe of the dungeons by literally making Link a clockwork toy operating within intentionally artificial mazes. It'd look like Zelda, for brand recognition, but nobody would mix it up with the BotWTotK line

I think the best thing to do would either be to make a new IP entirely or revive one of the obscure IP that shares something in common with Zelda, like Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima or Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru.

Ever Oasis is closer to Mana than Zelda from what I understand. Paper Mario is even less close, the combat and structure are way different, the only thing it has in common is that there are a lot of puzzles, some of which use similar design tropes as Zelda.

Mario Odyssey cohabited seamlessly with 2D Mario on Switch. Mario Galaxy coexisted with 2D Mario on Wii without any problem. In a more similar way, SM3DW, halfway between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, was a real success. And to speak directly about Zelda, the sales of the remake of Link's Awakening and the HD port of Skyward Sword, without being huge, are far from being a failure on Switch. Not all games need to sell 30 million copies to be successful and relevant. On the other hand, I like Ever Oasis as it is and I don't think it's necessary to twist an existing series to make it more Zeldaic. Especially when Starfox Adventure/ Dinosaur Planet was literally to Zelda what Banjo was to Mario.

Definitely want to see Nintendo do more with Ever Oasis. Even just an HD port of the 3DS game so I can go and play it.
There is a lot of talk about HD remasters of Gamecube games, but there are tons of 3DS games that didn't get the audience they deserved and look like perfect candidates. Ever Oasis, Luigi's Mansion 1 &2, Samus Returns, Kid Icarus Uprising in HD would be absolutely awesome. Even bigger sellers like Todomachi or 3D Land would deserve to be ported .

Mario Odyssey cohabited seamlessly with 2D Mario on Switch. Mario Galaxy coexisted with 2D Mario on Wii without any problem. In a more similar way, SM3DW, halfway between 2D Mario and 3D Mario, was a real success.
Sure. Mario coexists with itself--they didn't try to take some less successful platformer and reinvent it as the replacement for 2D Mario. Though 2D Mario did take a long siesta. In another universe it would be fun to have Doki Doki Panic pushed as the 2D Mario replacement.

Sure. Mario coexists with itself--they didn't try to take some less successful platformer and reinvent it as the replacement for 2D Mario. Though 2D Mario did take a long siesta. In another universe it would be fun to have Doki Doki Panic pushed as the 2D Mario replacement.

Between 2012 and 2019, all platforms combined, there have been 5 new 2D Mario games (New Super Mario 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Mario Maker, Mario Run, Mario Maker 2). Not to mention the Yoshi games, Tropical Freeze, Kirby or even 3D Land/World, which in a way is also partly aimed at the 2D audience. So maybe there was an overdose of 2D platform games that led to a slowing down of the excessive pace.

The case of Zelda is different, in that the last unreleased single-player 2D game was 10 years ago, while there hasn't been a traditional new 3D Zelda in even longer, with Skyward Sword dating back to 2011. I think there's an itch to scratch.

The reason people are looking at other franchises is simply a matter of internal development resources in my opinion. It's also a reason why we have a lot of remasters. However, I agree with you on the idea that it doesn't necessarily make sense to go out and twist another license to fill that role. But I don't like to think that the Ocarina format is dead. After all, the Nintendo 64 titles didn't kill the legacy of A Link To the Past at all, so I don't see why the open-world titles would kill the legacy of Ocarina.

Regardless I do hope that game gets a port or a sequel because I was interested in it, but had moved on from the 3DS by its release.

Stranger things have happened. I didn’t expect miitopia at all, and fantasy life is coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom