• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo releases guidelines for tournaments hosted for their games

Boy, it will sound way too cynical when they get Pro Players to test an early build of the next Smash and make a whole exhibition tourney in one of their streams to promote the game like they did for Smash4 and Ultimate.

Probably need some JP’s source on this but look like this is the reason for JP’s guideline - which seem like just Nintendo largely follow to stay out of unnecessary trouble

You are under no obligation to participate! You were never affected by the tournament scene!

How many more copies do you think Smash Ultimate would've sold if these policies were implemented last decade?
It will sold as same as today. Coz nintendo already put pressure on competitive communities 10 yeas ago, its not new.

I guess they were trying to prevent customer imagine that Smash is a hardcore/difficult/Professional/toxic fighting game by decreasing the influence of the tournaments(especially those Professional one).

Last edited:
Have you all read the European guidelines? They are relatively reasonable, and actually enforce that prizes can and will exist.

Highlights:
Organizers are allowed to make money off of ticket sales and entry fees, but those fees are limited to £20 per person, and of course, following the guidelines. Entry fees can feed into the prize pool, while ticket fees must go towards organization.

Tournaments are limited to 200 people in person, 300 online.

Prizes are allowed, but the maximum prize may not exceed £5000, with total prizes amounting to £10000 in 12 months.

No Sponsors aren't allowed.

Organizers are allowed to monetize any footage after the tournament, for up to 10,000 per year.

If anything, I really think these guidelines make grass roots organizing way easier, as most tournaments easily fall into these guidelines. This mostly discourages big tournaments such as EVO, but not small tournaments at all.

It sucks that there are regulations at all, but the European guidelines are actually semi reasonable.
Yes they are aimed at small tournaments but the restrictions make it effectively impossible to run most events. If entry fees are capped at $20 per person (and tournaments aren't able to find funding via sponsors, food/merch sales, or streaming revenue) then very few in-person events will be able to offer cash prizes and few tournaments will be able to afford to run at all.

Yes they are aimed at small tournaments but the restrictions make it effectively impossible to run most events. If entry fees are capped at $20 per person (and tournaments aren't able to find funding via sponsors, food/merch sales, or streaming revenue) then very few in-person events will be able to offer cash prizes and few tournaments will be able to afford to run at all.
People don't realize events like these already tend to be a net negative financially. Now it's just asking to go bankrupt.

??? Yeah gaming is being ruined by people playing the game they bought against other people.

This is the literal definition of anti consumer but bootlickers will bootlick
Sorry, but this is an insane post. Competitive gaming is in no way ruining games.
You are under no obligation to participate! You were never affected by the tournament scene!

How many more copies do you think Smash Ultimate would've sold if these policies were implemented last decade?
IMO it's caused online play to become extremely toxic and devs to cater to competitive play instead of making the game actually fun. It's the reason I fell off of Fortnite. I'd just be trying to play normally and someone would build a fort in front of me in three seconds. I'm also tired of players begging devs to fix "broken" characters like Steve in Smash, just let them be broken it's fun. Not to mention the competitive scene tends to have a lot of... problematic individuals. This is a kids video game company. Just play it to have fun instead of trying to be the best at it.

IMO it's caused online play to become extremely toxic and devs to cater to competitive play instead of making the game actually fun. It's the reason I fell off of Fortnite. I'd just be trying to play normally and someone would build a fort in front of me in three seconds. I'm also tired of players begging devs to fix "broken" characters like Steve in Smash, just let them be broken it's fun. Not to mention the competitive scene tends to have a lot of... problematic individuals. This is a kids video game company. Just play it to have fun instead of trying to be the best at it.
You can always ignore it as it doesn't affect you. Competitive Smash players don't give a fuck about casual smash fans and vice versa. Siding with a corporation to kill a community because you don't like how they interact with a game differently then you is extremely petty and childish.

Last edited:
These people will exist no matter organized competitive scene or not. That's not an issue caused by grassroots tournaments or anything like that.

Hell, you're probably better off having them separated from you in this case, rather than having them blended in with the "casuals"

It will sold as same as today. Coz nintendo already put pressure on competitive communities 10 yeas ago, its not new.
Do you think the new policies will increase sales of the next Smash game relative to prior expectations? If the Nintendo Ninja materialize irl and start breaking the hands of top competitive players, how would that affect Smash 7's revenues?

Do you think the new policies will increase sales of the next Smash game relative to prior expectations? If the Nintendo Ninja materialize irl and start breaking the hands of top competitive players, how would that affect Smash 7's revenues?
No, i think it may even decrease the sales a bit, but this factor is too small compare with the factor of NG console sales. IMO I understand that Nintendo want to make the game look "casual"(if they really think like this), but they have better way to do this, like adding more COOP or single player gameplay, to make the game less "competitive", like splatoon did, rather than crushing the communities.

Last edited:
Damn that’s crazy but not unexpected considering this company.

Time for the Smash and Splatoon players to move to Multiverse and Foamstars.

I don't really follow these scenes but wasn't the case until now that every tournament needed an official license from Nintendo in order to happen, but now those who match the criteria can do it without even approval from Nintendo, while those who don't still have to get a license or whatever.
I posted this earlier in the thread when it was just the Japanese version available, but now that I've read through the English one I wanted to ask again - didn't big tournaments need a license until now anyways? I don't think this changes much for them if that's the case.

dang, this means the esports league in my wife's school district is technically violating Nintendo's terms unless they get permission from Nintendo. I was hoping they'd be issuing rules specifically for events with cash prizes and entry fees.

Please avoid generalizing entire communities in a negative light and keep in mind others may enjoy games differently- mariodk18, MissingNo., Dardan Sandiego
You can always ignore it as it doesn't affect you. Competitive Smash players don't give a fuck about casual smash fans and vice versa. Siding with a corporation to kill a community because you don't like how they interact with a game differently then you is extremely petty and childish.
When it's a community known to be extremely toxic and hostile (not to mention some members are even worse than that), especially recently, I don't care that I'm "siding with a corporation". And no, I can't ignore it. I play online multiplayer and it's enjoyable when it's not filled with try-hards. And the competitive scene actually affects how developers make games.

When it's a community known to be extremely toxic and hostile (not to mention some members are even worse than that), especially recently, I don't care that I'm "siding with a corporation". And no, I can't ignore it. I play online multiplayer and it's enjoyable when it's not filled with try-hards. And the competitive scene actually affects how developers make games.
Damn spoken like a true bootlicker. You’ll get toxic people in multiplayer games regardless if it’s competitive or not.

You’re literally playing games that are against other players so of course some are gonna be “tryhards” as a result, especially in Nintendo games like Smash and Splatoon.

There’s also casual play for a reason.

Last edited:

It seems kind of massively contradictory to complain about Fortnite players exploiting game mechanics to the max making it unfun and immediately follow that up with complaining about Smash Bros. players wanting Nintendo to fix a character that exploits the game mechanics to the max making it unfun

You don't see the irony there? You're poisoned yourself.

Please refrain from making false equivalences between opinions on video games tournaments and opinions on politics. - PixelKnight, Derachi, Meatbag, MissingNo
So that's a no then?
This…just came out today.

I’m saying after November 15th it will literally be illegal to run a Smash Bros Ultimate charity event without a license (which if you’re unaware takes months of back and forth to get).

Regardless of whether or not it’s enforced you realize you’re advocating for this right? You think that’s ok? For your reference NO other company does this it’s only Nintendo. It’s not a “Japan thing” either.

Do you apply this line of thinking to other areas of your political views?

This…just came out today.

I’m saying after November 15th it will literally be illegal to run a Smash Bros Ultimate charity event without a license (which if you’re unaware takes months of back and forth to get).

Regardless of whether or not it’s enforced you realize you’re advocating for this right? You think that’s ok? For your reference NO other company does this it’s only Nintendo. It’s not a “Japan thing” either.

Do you apply this line of thinking to other areas of your political views?
So you can't definitively say these guidelines kill high school charity events.

I’m saying there’s a legal line here that isn’t there with every other company. If you do a CTRL F search for “charity” on other community license guidelines for games like Rocket League or Street Fighter it isn’t there. Only Nintendo requires you to have a license to legally run the tourney.

I don’t understand how anyone can take Nintendos side here. It’s literally corporation vs the people and you’re siding with corporation.

I’m saying there’s a legal line here that isn’t there with every other company. If you do a CTRL F search for “charity” on other community license guidelines for games like Rocket League or Street Fighter it isn’t there. Only Nintendo requires you to have a license to legally run the tourney.

I don’t understand how anyone can take Nintendos side here. It’s literally corporation vs the people and you’re siding with corporation.
You're making an assumption on something that hasn't been specifically put to a test yet.

It's not so much as it kills them as it requires them to jump through hoops before they can happen.

The last thing whoever is running esports events at a high school needs is one more burden on their time and energy. Why should a nonprofit event hosted by a school need to get permission from a big corporation to function?

You're making an assumption on something that hasn't been specifically put to a test yet.
We’re already past the point of discussing enforcement, not sure why you’re stuck on that. Of course Nintendo isn’t going to enforce this for every little school club tourney! But why does the law even exist? By the way if you look on Twitter it’s not just me saying these guidelines are asinine, in case you were unaware. Everyone thinks they're overboard.

We’re already past the point of discussing enforcement, not sure why you’re stuck not that. We’re talking about the law existing in the first place. By the way if you look on Twitter it’s not just me saying these guidelines anre asinine, in case you were unaware. Everyone thinks they're overboard.
Nintendo can't make laws, they can just enforce a EULA, and it's a waste of their time, money, and resources to go after any and every little gathering of people to play a game. You're fine to criticize their actions, but you seem to be pitching some unrealistic scenarios like the hypothetical in that tweet, and then getting preemptively mad about them, and criticizing others for not feeling the same way.

Realistically, I don't expect this to affect much other than larger tournament efforts that they see as publicizing their brands outside of their control.

We’re already past the point of discussing enforcement, not sure why you’re stuck on that. Of course Nintendo isn’t going to enforce this for every little school club tourney! But why does the law even exist? By the way if you look on Twitter it’s not just me saying these guidelines are asinine, in case you were unaware. Everyone thinks they're overboard.
OK, are you talking about the Japanese laws that spurred the changes or the rule/guideline changes?

Because there's nothing Nintendo can do about the former.

Nintendo can't make laws, they can just enforce a EULA, and it's a waste of their time, money, and resources to go after any and every little gathering of people to play a game. You're fine to criticize their actions, but you seem to be pitching some unrealistic scenarios like the hypothetical in that tweet, and then getting preemptively mad about them, and criticizing others for not feeling the same way.

Realistically, I don't expect this to affect much other than larger tournament efforts that they see as publicizing their brands outside of their control.
I don't think this applies to larger tournaments like Smashcon for example. According to Nintendo they have their own process

Also wouldn't Nintendo not even know about a smaller local tournament unless someone decides to be a snitch? In that case the snitch probably deserves most of the ire lol

OK, are you talking about the Japanese laws that spurred the changes or the rule/guideline changes?

Because there's nothing Nintendo can do about the former.
They came out with an EU version of the guidelines and most expect NA to follow suit as a result in the near future.

I don't think this applies to larger tournaments like Smashcon for example. According to Nintendo they have their own process
Yeah, I meant more similarly large tournaments that are currently outside of that process. Something that has enough eyes on it, they'll either want to put their own guidelines on, like in your example, or be sure and clear it is not sanctioned by them.

so say a tournament ignores these "guidelines"

would Nintendo sue them? what would that look like?
Ec8ACGgXgAMVRjr.jpg

They came out with an EU version of the guidelines and most expect NA to follow suit as a result in the near future.
EU version is different as it allows prize money while the Japanese one doesn't though so they aren't one for one

Big surprise that the Smash community is overreacting to something that is fairly common in Japanese games that tries to support a smaller community.

A lot of the stuff in those guidelines aren't even legally enforceable anyway unless Nintendo wants to spend millions of dollars trying to crack down on game stores and hobby shops hosting a casual event for their regular consumers.

Have you all read the European guidelines? They are relatively reasonable, and actually enforce that prizes can and will exist.

Highlights:
Organizers are allowed to make money off of ticket sales and entry fees, but those fees are limited to £20 per person, and of course, following the guidelines. Entry fees can feed into the prize pool, while ticket fees must go towards organization.

Tournaments are limited to 200 people in person, 300 online.

Prizes are allowed, but the maximum prize may not exceed £5000, with total prizes amounting to £10000 in 12 months.

No Sponsors aren't allowed.

Organizers are allowed to monetize any footage after the tournament, for up to 10,000 per year.

If anything, I really think these guidelines make grass roots organizing way easier, as most tournaments easily fall into these guidelines. This mostly discourages big tournaments such as EVO, but not small tournaments at all.

It sucks that there are regulations at all, but the European guidelines are actually semi reasonable.
No sponsors is extremely unreasonable and makes the events impossible to run in a lot of cases.

No sponsors is extremely unreasonable and makes the events impossible to run in a lot of cases.
Any event large enough to need sponsors won't be a "community tournament" under these guidelines and will have their own separate licenses with Nintendo, which is how all the big tournaments currently run AFAIK.

So from my POV - who literally has no stake in this cause I’m 100% not involved in the competitive side of any games I played.

I did shared a tweet earlier point out the guidelines might be come from the law of JP (or whatever regions it is that might have similar law, ie. EU)

Will Nintendo actually go out of their way to take down every small/random tournaments that might not follow the guideline 100%. Probably not (unless it so obvious that you violated it), and especially those charity/highschool event.

Someone mentioned you didn’t see these guideline (for charity) for Rocket League or SF, but that is kinda different (this is Nintendo remind you 😂). Nintendo always go out if their way to stay out of unnecessary trouble.

What I got from this is, the main reason they make the guideline was so they can basically avoid of any legal issues might happen in these events that not in their control. They can just point to this and said, we make very clear they have to do this, it not our fault if they don’t follow.

I guess the guidelines are bad? I wouldn't really know, but to be fair I find the eSports community to be ridiculous personally so I can't say I really care one way or the other.

Still for their sake I guess Nintendo lightens up a bit or these rules are only for Japan.

tbh I sorta get the sponsor thing from Nintendo’s POV. They want 100% control over what brands get associated with their games/characters. They don’t want to see some event where people are playing a Nintendo game next to, for example, alcohol company logos. Easiest for them to just not allow them.

I think part of the outrage is people are confusing bigger tournaments like say EVO (if they still did Smash) into this category when it's explained that they don't

Back
Top Bottom